• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never underestimate the power of friendship/love/will/whatever-else-feel-good-emotion my friend!

Didn't work in Persona 2 Innocent Sin. Fails actually, brutally. Tatsuya, Maya and crew lose, Maya gets murdered, the world ends, leaving only the floating Sumaru City as the lone surviving place.

Nexas

I personally think that's a bit of a stretch... although I admittedly forgot who exactly said that one sentence in P3.

So if there is ever be an "Ultimate Boss", so to speak, in the Persona universe, it would be Nyarlathotep? Hmm, alright.

Well if all the crazy timeline stuff is true then YHVH, Lucifer, and the angels and demons exist in the Persona universe to, although it seems they've been haven't been involved with the world for a while.

Somewhat related to that, I was never quite clear if Izanami was supposed be THE Izanami, or just some aspect of the human unconscious like other Persona villains. An actual deity getting involved in the affairs of the Persona universe seems unusual.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Didn't work in Persona 2 Innocent Sin. Fails actually, brutally. Tatsuya, Maya and crew lose, Maya gets murdered, the world ends, leaving only the floating Sumaru City as the lone surviving place.

Persona 1 and 2 as I understand were still drown in what I would call the "Shin Megami Tensei's vibe", whereas Persona 3 and especially 4 were thick in what I would probably call "anime vibe", if you get my meaning. I mean, for example, not in a million years you can stick those various bathing jokes--themselves a massive cliche of mangas/animes--in Persona 1 and 2, but there they are in Persona 3 and 4.

And in animes, the power of friendship/will/good-feel-emotion will always be able to triumph over anything.

Well if all the crazy timeline stuff is true then YHVH, Lucifer, and the angels and demons exist in the Persona universe to, although it seems they've been haven't been involved with the world for a while.

Somewhat related to that, I was never quite clear if Izanami was supposed be THE Izanami, or just some aspect of the human unconscious like other Persona villains. An actual deity getting involved in the affairs of the Persona universe seems unusual.

It's the "real god", I think, as implied by Igor himself.

kuroshiki

Persona 1 and 2 as I understand were still drown in what I would call the "Shin Megami Tensei's vibe", whereas Persona 3 and especially 4 were thick in what I would probably call "anime vibe", if you get my meaning.

And in animes, the power of friendship/will/good-feel-emotion will always be able to triumph over anything.

Yeah. same with most of Hollywood adventure movies.

but seriously Persona series pretty much deviated enough from original concept of Persona 1 and 2, and it's been WILDLY popular with that anime format, and no way in hell Atlus will risk another bomb that was Persona 2.

^The tone and story of Persona 2 is not why it failed, in fact the story is widely praised as being the best in the series. What made it fail was that 1, it was a port of a super old game. 2, unlike P1P, Atlus could not market to the P3/4 crowd any longer, since they learned from P1P. 3, the gameplay of Persona 2, while something I can like, I can call it semi poor. Finally, the port was unbalanced and too easy, with frequent encounters. I think they could pull a mature, well told P5 if it has great gameplay and stuff to back it up.
Persona 1 and 2 as I understand were really drown in what I would call the "Shin Megami Tensei's vibe", whereas Persona 3 and especially 4 were
thick in what I would probably call "anime vibe", if you get my meaning.

Persona 2 starts out like Persona 4, tonally, well, not really. Starts out dark, quickly switches to a lighter tone, and zigzags until a certain event where it stays dark. The two tones are represented by the new opening music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D07mro7NOkA

and the title screen music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D66Ag8HF_Nw

Gods and demons are part of the human unconscious. She is the real Izanami and she isnt.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
^The tone and story of Persona 2 is not why it failed, in fact the story is widely praised as being the best in the series. What made it fail was that 1, it was a port of a super old game. 2, unlike P1P, Atlus could not market to the P3/4 crowd any longer, since they learned from P1P. 3, the gameplay of Persona 2, while something I can like, I can call it semi poor. Finally, the port was unbalanced and too easy, with frequent encounters. I think they could pull a mature, well told P5 if it has great gameplay and stuff to back it up.

Persona 2 starts out like Persona 4, tonally, well, not really. Starts out dark, quickly switches to a lighter tone, and zigzags until a certain event where it stays dark. The two tones are represented by the new opening music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D07mro7NOkA

and the title screen music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D66Ag8HF_Nw

With the new direction the Persona series is taking, I honestly don't think they will avoid the power of friendship/love trope, and if ever Nyarlathotep ever defeated either literally or metaphorically in the Persona universe then I am willing to bet money that trope would be invoked in its fullest.

Unless there is a sudden shift in tone again in future Persona games, of course.

Moonlight

Banned
I don't really see anything wrong with the 'power of bonds' stuff in Persona 3 and 4. They've consistently dealt with those themes in a mature, well-written manner.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't really see anything wrong with the 'power of bonds' stuff in Persona 3 and 4. They've consistently dealt with those themes in a mature, well-written manner.

I am not saying it is wrong, but seeing how Persona 3 and 4 conform to the popular anime tropes then I wouldn't be surprised if in the future the games will also still ties strongly to those tropes as well.

Including when dealing with unbeatable entities, if it comes to that.

Nexas

Not a big fan of the side boob eh? The scene felt completely out of place. I was like wtf?

The worst part was they didn't even justify it. One second everyone is having a snowball fight and then BAM! Bathhouse scene. Would it have been that much work for someone to say "hey lets go to the hot spring," and have a sensible transition?

Trigger

The worst part was they didn't even justify it. One second everyone is having a snowball fight and then BAM! Bathhouse scene. Would it have been that much work for someone to say "hey lets go to the hot spring," and have a sensible transition?

But when has fanservice ever been about making sensible choices? :p

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Not a big fan of the side boob eh? The scene felt completely out of place. I was like wtf?

A fan, hahaha, but still couldn't believe they put it in something like that, especially since we got one already when the group stayed at Amagi inn. The clash of tone between what happened before and that scene really made me scratch my head in disbelief.

I hope that if you piss off an s.link who happens to be in your party, then it'd affect how they react to you throughout the game. It was weird in P4 getting into a relationship or whatever with a character, and then having it be ignored during story inteactions.

maltrain

I loved Persona 4 Golden... then, I started to play Persona 3, on my Vita too... and even when graphics are not that better, I love the game too (I'm on december right now).

My question is... and please don't spoil the game (I read here the P3 final some weeks ago)... should I like "Persona 2: Innocent" Sin for Vita? And what about "Persona 1"?

Are those much different from 3 and 4?

I loved Persona 4 Golden... then, I started to play Persona 3, on my Vita too... and even when graphics are not that better, I love the game too (I'm on december right now).

My question is... and please don't spoil the game (I read here the P3 final some weeks ago)... should I like "Persona 2: Innocent" Sin for Vita? And what about "Persona 1"?

Completely different. Are you willing to put up with mediocre/bad gameplay for story? I ask this when Persona 2 Duology is my favorite in the series.

_woLf

They're pretty different, yeah. Much darker.

Trigger

I wouldn't mind branching story paths being given more depth come Persona 5.

Very different. Just youtobe some general gameplay videos to see. No social stuff and more focus on combat and story.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I hope that if you piss off an s.link who happens to be in your party, then it'd affect how they react to you throughout the game. It was weird in P4 getting into a relationship or whatever with a character, and then having it be ignored during story inteactions.

Definitely one of the things they can and should improve on the series, where characters react more to your response/how you act in various scenes including S.Link. P4G addressed this in some little ways, but there's still a very noticeable 'wall' that separate the main story and the optional ones. The girls shouldn't still be happy with you if you are two-timing/triple-timing/quadruple-timing them to no end! Hahaha.

Also P4 and by extension P43 is one of the worst offenders of "Choices that don't really matter" crap, in that no matter what you answer to a person's question in the end it doesn't matter at all. Like, "Hey, MC, what do you say?" and whether you say "Yes" or "No" in the end the game chooses for you anyways (I am looking at you Yosuke >___>). Hopefully this will get improved too in future games.

Nexas

Dramatically different. Persona 1 and 2 are more traditional RPGs. There are no social links or calender. They are straight dungeon crawlers like mainline Megaten games. The battle systems are somewhat archaic and slow as well. Despite that Persona 2 has a really good story and characters. I can't say much about Persona 1's story as I never got that far in it. It's hard say if it is really for you. Some P3/4 fans enjoy them, and others do not. I would recommend watching some videos of both games on youtube before you commit either way.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I need to play Persona 1 and 2 to improve my Persona lore but that battle system urghhhh............. and the PSP remakes of Persona 1 are so butt ugly looking too..... urrgh.

Gotta just stomach them, I guess.....

I need to play Persona 1 and 2 to improve my Persona lore but that battle system urghhhh............. and the PSP remakes of Persona 1 are so butt ugly looking too..... urrgh.

Gotta just stomach them, I guess.....
Persona 2 is fine imo. I'm enjoying the hell out of it(although I did set the game on easy and started blasting through it using a guide). The only thing I hate is the tarot card system. It's the reason why I'll only have one persona in the whole game .

cj_iwakura

Persona 2 is fine imo. I'm enjoying the hell out of it(although I did set the game on easy and started blasting through it using a guide). The only thing I hate is the tarot card system. It's the reason why I'll only have one persona in the whole game .

The tarot system is easy. I don't get why people hate it. Farm cards from easy to contact demons, stack em up, get any Persona you want, done.

Sophia

The tarot system is easy. I don't get why people hate it. Farm cards from easy to contact demons, stack em up, get any Persona you want, done.

It's not a matter of it being easy or hard. It's a matter of it being an unbelievably stupid system that has no place in any RPG ever. It's time consuming for no reason, and doesn't add anything to the game.

It deserves it's fiery grave.

P5 definitely needs more in the way of actual antagonists with actual motivations for what they're doing, rather than personality-less blobs (P3) or largely hidden entities (P4). The Shadow Selves were ok until you got to like the third one and at that point you're just like, "Ok, I get it. Just make with the "NO YOU'RE NOT ME" thing so we can get this over with."

When I ran through P2:IS, I just stuck with the starting persona's till I got the prime versions and ultimate's.

Seemed more fitting that way.

^no way social links could work without completely restructuring the game to work on a calendar system

It's not a matter of it being easy or hard. It's a matter of it being an unbelievably stupid system that has no place in any RPG ever. It's time consuming for no reaosn, and doesn't add anything to the game.

It deserves it's fiery grave.

Added amusing animations and dialog!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Speaking of P4 Anime, is this scene for real?

persona_4_quality_animation_holy_crap_two_chies.jpg

Because it's like they just don't give a damn holy shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom