• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Import |OT| YOUR MAJESTY

haikira

This True?

If so.

amazingdqkl4.gif

Daante

Make a new thread?

Today, SEGA will officially announce that they will be bringing Phantasy Star Online 2 to North America and Europe, with a release date in early 2013. In addition, the official teaser site should be going live at www.pso2.com within the next hour or so. Our friends at SEGA were kind enough to give us a heads up on this great news, and PSO-World is proud to be the first site to share it with the Phantasy Star community. Here is a copy of the official press release, check it out:

SEGA ANNOUNCES THE WESTERN RELEASE OF PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 SEGA’s Epic Free-to-Play Multiplayer Action RPG Coming to North America and Europe in Early 2013

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON – July 9th, 2012 – SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd today announced that free-to-play multiplayer action RPG Phantasy Star Online 2 will be coming to North America and Europe in 2013. For a first look at this new entry in the legendary Phantasy Star series, check out the official Phantasy Star Online 2 teaser site at www.pso2.com.

“Phantasy Star Online was a revolutionary game when it was released, and we want to make sure that its successor in the series is every bit as ambitious,” said Chris Olson, Vice President of Digital Business at SEGA of America. “We look forward to introducing Phantasy Star Online 2’s unique, easy-to-access multiplayer action to the rest of the world next year!”

“The number one thing we want to provide players in Phantasy Star Online 2 is an adventure that changes every time they log in. Just as great table-top RPG experiences revolve around imaginative and unexpected encounters, we want players to consistently be surprised as they explore dungeons and undertake quests,” added Satoshi Sakai, Phantasy Star Online 2 Producer at SEGA of Japan.

Over ten years have passed since the release of the boundary-breaking Dreamcast hit, Phantasy Star Online, and SEGA is poised to continue the Phantasy Star series’ multiplayer legacy on PCs worldwide with Phantasy Star Online 2. In the Year 238, the New Era of Light, players will join a new band of Arcs in the fight against mysterious D-Arkers, embarking on another epic adventure of infinite possibilities!

Phantasy Star Online 2’s features include:

Deep sci-fi fantasy universe filled with lush landscapes, extraordinary creatures, and epic adventures
Revolutionary real-time combat and third-person action with devastating combos and counters to master
Flexible, class-based leveling system that lets players define their own play-style with distinctive melee, ranged, and magic weapon types
Randomized dungeon maps and unexpected mid-quest encounters that ensure each quest is different for each player
Deep character creation system with a nearly limitless number of potential appearances
Three degrees of humanity to experience across three unique races: the versatile Humans, spiritually-powered Newmen, and artificial CAST

For more information about Phantasy Star Online 2, visit the official site at www.pso2.com.

For more news, follow SEGA on Twitter @SEGA (http://twitter.com/phantasystar) or “like” us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/sega.pso2).

About SEGA® of America, Inc. SEGA® of America, Inc. is the American arm of Tokyo, Japan-based SEGA® Corporation, a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home. The company develops, publishes and distributes interactive entertainment software products for a variety of hardware platforms including PC, wireless devices, and those manufactured by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment. SEGA® of America’s Web site is located at www.sega.com.

About SEGA® Europe Ltd. SEGA® Europe Ltd. is the European Distribution arm of Tokyo, Japan-based SEGA® Corporation, and a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home. The company develops and distributes interactive entertainment software products for a variety of hardware platforms including PC, wireless devices, and those manufactured by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. SEGA’s global website site is located at www.sega.com.

The official teaser trailer for PSO2's western launch will also be going live sometime Monday morning via YouTube: Official PSO2 Announcement Trailer. Be sure to check it out once the video has been made available to the public!

Be sure to share your thoughts on this exciting announcement in our PSO2 Forums, where there is already a great deal of discussion going on about the Japanese release of the game

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Well, I've added "Early 2013" as the Western release date to the op.

Also, servers are live! Character creation on Ship 10 has been locked though...

Good time to know Japanese!

皆日本語の勉強すればいいじゃん!

ezodagrom

It's not just the long wait until release, I wouldn't be surprised if the english version would be released with the content the Japanese version had when it started, and by then the Japanese version will have alot more content.

Seijuro

Well, I would have waited if it would release this year but 2013 seems too long to wait.

How hard is it to overcome the language barrier in the japanese version (edit: when consulting the bumped.org faqs for general help)?

Midou

Well, I would have waited if it would release this year but 2013 seems too long to wait.

How hard is it to overcome the language barrier in the japanese version?

I learned the menus, shops, etc in a couple of hours, will still have to look up quests and such though.

90% of the time you will not need to look up anything.

I'm glad they finally announced it, but I wonder why there is such a delay? Seems like it's going to be PSU all over again. That said, unless I learn some Japanese between now and 2013, I will likely move over to the English version when it does release.

If the servers aren't global (and really, I think this is the only reasonable option given SEGA scaling back operations overseas) I'll probably play a bit but I don't see myself stopping play on JP as long as it isn't IP blocked or anything.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Speaking of the Japanese version, there's a darker attack starting on Ship 02. :)

MrDaravon

Rad news. I'll just wait though, any friends I have who are going to play aren't going to slog through the Japanese version. Only thing I'm worried about is another regional PSU issue where the US version winds up forever behind the Japanese one :/

Oh and they totally pulled a Cacpcom on this one:

6HprO.jpg

EvaTType01

Neo Member
huh? Free to play for the US ver? wait, is the JP also like that? i see premium pricing on the OT, so im guessing its a paid service right?

I have pso2 installed, now that its live, should I go ahead and uninstall it? Im thinking if its 6+ months of waiting, I might try the JP version for awhile......

Nishastra

Banned
huh? Free to play for the US ver? wait, is the JP also like that? i see premium pricing on the OT, so im guessing its a paid service right?
It's free. The "premium" stuff is just for more storage space, access to a room where you can display things you've found (mostly plants), and ability to sell/trade stuff to other players.

So I'm told that regular maintenance times have been decided on the Japanese end. Apparently it's going to be Wednesday mornings JST, roughly the same times the previous unscheduled maintenances have been, so Tuesday evenings will be the down evenings in the US. Keiician can probably confirm this.

Nerdy Fergy

Neo Member
Has anyone had problems getting sound to work? I made sure that everything is turned up to 100 and none of the sounds are coming through. The tray icon seems to indicate that I should be getting sound from the program through the mixer, but nothing is coming out. I even reinstalled the program to see if something didn't install correctly.

Emitan

Has anyone had problems getting sound to work? I made sure that everything is turned up to 100 and none of the sounds are coming through. The tray icon seems to indicate that I should be getting sound from the program through the mixer, but nothing is coming out. I even reinstalled the program to see if something didn't install correctly.
Update DirectX

ezodagrom

As it was expected, looks like the english version of PSO2 is not going to have simultaneous updates with the japanese version:
It's not "late" --- they were never intended for simultaneous release. There is already a focus in addressing the content gap. It was absolutely a problem for PSU. We want to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

Everyone here is understandably concerned with that. Remember, you're not being asked to pre-order or purchase anything -- if you feel like we aren't living up to where we say we'll be for the game, well, you're able to play for free, or not at all. But content is still king, which means if we want to engage those of who you are the franchise's biggest fans, we need to make sure we're caught up in a satisfactory way. Hopefully, this sounds like something that's okay to you. :)
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.p...arly-2013!!!&p=7434304&viewfull=1#post7434304

Edward is saying that they want to make sure that PSO2 doesn't have the same problems as PSU when it comes to updates, but when the PC/PS2 PSU servers were shutdown, he said that the shutdown would allow them to focus in improving the service in the XBox 360 servers. What actually happened is that their service either stayed the same or it even became worse, and now the XBox 360 PSU servers are being shutdown September.

Midou

I hope it's true about the content gap. I would rather play a game I don't understand than wait a month or more to get the same content. Most of the stuff I don't understand is story stuff, and really I skip that even in like PSO Portable 2.

ezodagrom

I hope it's true about the content gap. I would rather play a game I don't understand than wait a month or more to get the same content. Most of the stuff I don't understand is story stuff, and really I skip that even in like PSO Portable 2.
In PSU the content gap started at only 2 months, but with time it reached over 1 year and half.

The gap in content and, maybe worse for me, the absolute infrequency of special events made me glad I went back to JP PSU early on.

Even those silly (insert adjective here) Girls/Boys-style events later on in the game's life on the JP server where some admins would jump online and give out random codes and had players do random stuff were a frequent reminder that even when facing dwindling populations, they cared about the people playing.

And I was always down for some Guardians Boost Road grinding.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So I'm told that regular maintenance times have been decided on the Japanese end. Apparently it's going to be Wednesday mornings JST, roughly the same times the previous unscheduled maintenances have been, so Tuesday evenings will be the down evenings in the US. Keiician can probably confirm this.
Yeah, it's as bumped.org says:
Phantasy Star Online 2 Japan will undergo weekly maintenance during the following times:

Wednesdays at 11:00 ~ 17:00 JST
Tuesdays at 10:00 PM ~ 4:00 AM Eastern
Other Time Zones

Just fought Caterdran with just AI backups. He did the one dive move non stop. The only other move he did was the tail slam about two times in the beginning.

After that, it was Infinite Dive Works till the end.

Was somewhat frustrating as I could of finished it within 20 minutes if he wasn't doing that all the time.

VariantX

Caterdrans wont dive underground if you and all members of the group stay near it affording you the most opportunities to hit it.

AAlias

Neo Member
English patch > NA release

It will probably have nonexistent support as usual

Also if I delete a character on ship 2, can I remake it? (Since ships 1-5, 10 are closed atm)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Also if I delete a character on ship 2, can I remake it? (Since ships 1-5, 10 are closed atm)
I have a feeling, that no one yet was brave enough to try it.

As for the NPCs, I'm currently on Chapter 4 (5th Matter Board) and counting Ch3, I've got 3 new NPCs so far.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I guess that makes sense. He was only coming after me instead of my AI mates.

So enemies go after who ever does the most damage I guess.
Yeah, basically. Plus, there's a Taunt skill in on the Hunter skill tree, but other than that it's the one who does the mos damage.

Lol, my PSO2 Minus album has 193k views... Added some story mode screenshots.

butzopower

proud of his butz
The US PSO2 site feels like it was made 10 years ago, like SoA has never heard anyone new and the same dude is still making their flash sites.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, SoA is probably just one person making flash sites and forgetting to reset Christmas on the XBOX server.

Well, I tried it again. I was doing well until he did some stun move on me then hit me three times in a row and killed me with no chance to retaliate.

Turns out AI can't revive. Bummer.

EDIT: This time I was killed by a bunch of big Dagan mobs that spawned. Turning out to be a great night so far.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Well, I tried it again. I was doing well until he did some stun move on me then hit me three times in a row and killed me with no chance to retaliate.

Turns out AI can't revive. Bummer.

EDIT: This time I was killed by a bunch of big Dagan mobs that spawned. Turning out to be a great night so far.
You're actually having problems with Kyatadoran? Remember that you're invincible for a few seconds when you dash (if you're a force/have bought the skill in case of other classes). I just stand right before him, wait for the jab, dash and land a few strong hits on the head. Standing near his body may deal better damage but is a bit risky, since he has that spinning attack.
Also, if you're stunned, pressing the movement buttons will get you out if it much faster.

The invincibility window is so small that I still get hit unless I'm completely away from the tail.

The stun is long enough that it is pretty much luck whether I survive through it or not.

Just got killed by him again since the camera goes bonkers when he does his triple tail smash so I couldn't get away.

Think I might put this down for a while.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The invincibility window is so small that I still get hit unless I'm completely away from the tail.

The stun is long enough that it is pretty much luck whether I survive through it or not.

Just got killed by him again since the camera goes bonkers when he does his triple tail smash so I couldn't get away.

Think I might put this down for a while.
Not the tail, the head. The tail is much more deadly, since it doesn't usually hit in a straight line. The head attacks are easier to see through imo.

Top Bottom