• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 |OT|

Btw guys im about to make a room for the heck of it.

Room Name: NeoGAF
pwd: believe

It's gonna be me basically doing runs of my new universe 3 areas, anybody is free to join. Even any lurkers that may come upon this. Just dont be a dick. :lol

edit: orrrrrr not. This shit is still giving me that damn sg4041 error. ugh.

matmanx1

So I'm a Phantasy Star newb and I have some basic questions for those of you who are in the know.

1)Is is worth upgrading your weapons to level 10 each time? I've done 3 open missions, hit Chapter 2 for the next story mission but am only level 8 so far so of course the shops aren't showing me alot of love. Upgrading for the low level gear seems to be pretty cheap so I'm thinking that should be my primary route for gear upgrades for the time being? And once you hit level 10 how do you "unlock" the weapon further?

2) What are all the random items I'm getting in missions that have descriptions like "this could be worthwhile to the right person" or "collect enough of these to reassemble the data", etc. When do I get to turn those in or use them or whatever?

3)I got the digital version and I'm completely happy with it as load times are non existent but I also have no manual. Is there a quick swap for armor like there is for weapons and if so how do you access it in a mission? Also, I see you can "shortcut" items as well, what's the button press to use those in battle? (Yeah I'm sure there's a tutorial person for these but the game throws ALOT of info at you as a beginner)

4)What level should I be before I hit the first Chapter 2 story mission? The descriptor says enemies may be up to level 20 so that's scaring me a little bit at only level 8. I guess I need to run the open missions more before moving on?

Sorry for all the text, folks, but thanks to anyone who takes time to answer these. I really appreciate it!

matmanx1 said:
So I'm a Phantasy Star newb and I have some basic questions for those of you who are in the know.

3)I got the digital version and I'm completely happy with it as load times are non existent but I also have no manual. Is there a quick swap for armor like there is for weapons and if so how do you access it in a mission? Also, I see you can "shortcut" items as well, what's the button press to use those in battle? (Yeah I'm sure there's a tutorial person for these but the game throws ALOT of info at you as a beginner)

I believe they added an armor palette. I believe it's accessed the same way as the weapon's palette, but you press to the right instead of the left. Sorry, haven't played in a few weeks; but I recall it being there.

Actually if you talk to the NPC's (if it's the same as the demo) one of them should explain this to you.

matmanx1 said:

1)Is is worth upgrading your weapons to level 10 each time? I've done 3 open missions, hit Chapter 2 for the next story mission but am only level 8 so far so of course the shops aren't showing me alot of love. Upgrading for the low level gear seems to be pretty cheap so I'm thinking that should be my primary route for gear upgrades for the time being? And once you hit level 10 how do you "unlock" the weapon further?

2) What are all the random items I'm getting in missions that have descriptions like "this could be worthwhile to the right person" or "collect enough of these to reassemble the data", etc. When do I get to turn those in or use them or whatever?

4)What level should I be before I hit the first Chapter 2 story mission? The descriptor says enemies may be up to level 20 so that's scaring me a little bit at only level 8. I guess I need to run the open missions more before moving on?

Sorry for all the text, folks, but thanks to anyone who takes time to answer these. I really appreciate it!

1) Somebody else can help you with that, I havent upgraded a single weapon and I'm not having too many problems, but then again I played the demo a lot.

2) Im not sure about these either.

3) There is a manual, on the xmb press triangle on the game, scroll down to software manual - There's your manual.
The Take Out Bandit got the armor thing right.

4) Id be at least 15 by the time i start there, so you have a chance.

Mr. Hyde

So, my friend and I were doing a two hour session of PSP2. We were on the third or fourth mission in the first set of rank C missions and we beat the boss of the mission. We go further into the room and there is a teleporter to take us to a ????? area. We load into this planet area that looks like the moon and have to fight an insane dragon. Has anyone encountered this yet? Is it some type of rare or a random bonus boss? It was awesome but really hard. I love this game!

Mr. Hyde said:
So, my friend and I were doing a two hour session of PSP2. We were on the third or fourth mission in the first set of rank C missions and we beat the boss of the mission. We go further into the room and there is a teleporter to take us to a ????? area. We load into this planet area that looks like the moon and have to fight an insane dragon. Has anyone encountered this yet? Is it some type of rare or a random bonus boss? It was awesome but really hard. I love this game!

Was the ground Purple and stuff?
If so that was Orga Dyson or w.e it's name is. I posted about it on the last page.

timnich said:
So I'm an hour late, just got home...anyone still want to jump online? I'll be up for a while so just let me know.

I would if i wasnt getting this damned sg4104 error or w.e it is. So damn annoying.

matmanx1 said:

1)Is is worth upgrading your weapons to level 10 each time? I've done 3 open missions, hit Chapter 2 for the next story mission but am only level 8 so far so of course the shops aren't showing me alot of love. Upgrading for the low level gear seems to be pretty cheap so I'm thinking that should be my primary route for gear upgrades for the time being? And once you hit level 10 how do you "unlock" the weapon further? - Feel free to grind everything up to level 10 provided you have the extra cash. After you max them out you can upgrade to S-rank. Thing is you better be sure you can actually wield the weapon before you raise it. Still it's a nice feature for all of those password-unlocked weapons and other low-level rares.

2) What are all the random items I'm getting in missions that have descriptions like "this could be worthwhile to the right person" or "collect enough of these to reassemble the data", etc. When do I get to turn those in or use them or whatever? There are missions you'll eventually be able to accept called Trade Missions. Well actually they're more like shops. Bring in the required stones and you can trade for some unique stuff.

3)I got the digital version and I'm completely happy with it as load times are non existent but I also have no manual. Is there a quick swap for armor like there is for weapons and if so how do you access it in a mission? Also, I see you can "shortcut" items as well, what's the button press to use those in battle? (Yeah I'm sure there's a tutorial person for these but the game throws ALOT of info at you as a beginner)While holding down the circle button(to switch weapons), press right on the d-pad to switch armors. Can be useful if you have armor that covers every element but that can get expensive quick.

4)What level should I be before I hit the first Chapter 2 story mission? The descriptor says enemies may be up to level 20 so that's scaring me a little bit at only level 8. I guess I need to run the open missions more before moving on?Enemies in story mode are tied to your level. Honestly I'd recommend cutting back on the leveling or at least make sure your gear is about as good as your level. Either way it's pretty tough and watch out for big attacks cause they will kill you.

Yeah.
Oh and another thing pay attention to the element of your armor. It should always be the same element as your enemy as this can lead to a pretty dramatic decrease in damage. For example the final boss of PS:p was working me over real good until I realized I was wearing armor that had me at 50% light(the boss is dark-element). Needless to say I replaced that armor with 25ish% dark and the damage the boss did to me dropped by at least half.

There are exceptions of course(like if a dark enemy throws a fireball or something) and if you're quick enough to throw on a different set of armor to lower damage you could probably dodge/parry out of it to nullify damage entirely. Still it's something really important to account for.

YagizY said:
Of all the games to argue about price vs. length, you picked Phantasy Star? Really?! People invest 100's of hours into these games. If you don't want to pay $40, then don't buy it.
No shit. I spent 30 hours on just the demo. I feel like I owe them my money.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
All right, I managed to find a Walmart with a PSP Go (seriously, WTF...I never go to Walmart and went to several locations that their website said had Gos in stock...and nothing. Awful service too. Yuck.) and have the game downloaded from PSN. About to jump in! :D

MikeE21286 said:
I've seen them floating around for 150 before.....makes me wish I had jumped.

Yeah, although in my case I didn't care a lick about the Go before PSP2 hit. I plan on spending a LOT of time with the game so it's worth that purchase for me. If it weren't for the online I wouldn't have bothered.

xKilltheMx said:
Go really? Why not a 1000 or 3000? I say 1000 because it feels well built compared to that flimsy feeling Go. But all that matters is that you get the game and get online with the rest of us.

I also have a 1000 and a 2000 with CFW. I can't go back to the 1000...the screen isn't as good and the d-pad/buttons were noticeably improved with the 2000. Will be selling my 1000 off now.

Mr. Hyde

xKilltheMx said:
Was the ground Purple and stuff?
If so that was Orga Dyson or w.e it's name is. I posted about it on the last page.

I believe that was it! 2% chance of showing up? Awesome. I am glad it showed. That was an intense fight.

Blueblur1

Amazon shipped my order this morning! Too bad it doesn't get here until next Wednesday. :(

Also, I'm about to leave for work so I will update the OP in the evening. If anyone's got any recommendations for additions besides a spot for the item codes, a link to the US site for the game and a section for the DLC, let me know. Thanks. :)

kiryogi said:

Mmph I saw it earlier, very depressing, I was looking forward to a max attack style event.

Got a bit of a problem on my game, I completed chapter 3, Emilia and kraz had a fight, the green haired woman appeared, now in the mission log it says take Emilia on an open mission to cheer her up, i've taken her on about 20 now and nothing is happening.

I've tried talking to all the people but they just say the same stuff, tried taking yut with me and that didnt change anything, starting to give up :(

Edit: Done it, I needed to do a B rank mission other than undersea ruins so I did Valley of carnage, found a Twin brand Repca off the Van der org things at the end (My second found rare on the full game)

kyo_daikun said:
Mmph I saw it earlier, very depressing, I was looking forward to a max attack style event.

Got a bit of a problem on my game, I completed chapter 3, Emilia and kraz had a fight, the green haired woman appeared, now in the mission log it says take Emilia on an open mission to cheer her up, i've taken her on about 20 now and nothing is happening.

I've tried talking to all the people but they just say the same stuff, tried taking yut with me and that didnt change anything, starting to give up :(

Edit: Done it, I needed to do a B rank mission other than undersea ruins so I did Valley of carnage, found a Twin brand Repca off the Van der org things at the end (My second found rare on the full game)

Haha seeing this post made me realize that you were under the same name on PSOworld. Congrats on the Rare. I think I found that in the Demo, and I love it. Especially with its Life drain. Love it.

Was wondering if anyone wanted to share Trial saves...

I'm looking for a Twin Photon Claw and if anyone has it could you post your trial save so I can import? Anyone who didnt play the trial or just didn't get a few items can use mine. I have a double saver, single photon claw, and a bunch of other rares for forces and such. As well as a bunch of trade items.

http://www.zshare.net/download/8046862219c0a47b/

Please post if you are interested.

xKilltheMx said:
Haha seeing this post made me realize that you were under the same name on PSOworld. Congrats on the Rare. I think I found that in the Demo, and I love it. Especially with its Life drain. Love it.

The one from the demo is the Double saber, this is double brand and is blue with ice element.

Found a Papillion ciel as well but im not a force so useless :lol

Took me hours to find those double photon claws... (think you get them in a trade mission anyways)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Amazon is finally prepping my shipment. Still slated for delivery tomorrow. We'll see if that changes.

kyo_daikun said:
The one from the demo is the Double saber, this is double brand and is blue with ice element.

Found a Papillion ciel as well but im not a force so useless :lol

Took me hours to find those double photon claws... (think you get them in a trade mission anyways)

Oh that sounds fantastic (the double brand), the ice element would be awesome against a couple of enemies I can think of off the top of my head.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Anyone know how trading works online? Is there a trade menu, or can you just drop a item/weapon for another person to pick up (PSO style)?

Adam Prime said:
Anyone know how trading works online? Is there a trade menu, or can you just drop a item/weapon for another person to pick up (PSO style)?

There's a special machine in the cafe to trade items (Rank C and B only)

You can drop healing and miscellanous items for each other but thats it.

xKilltheMx said:
Oh that sounds fantastic (the double brand), the ice element would be awesome against a couple of enemies I can think of off the top of my head.

Yeah its pretty powerful, twins are my second favourite weapon type after knuckles :lol

Also found the cake shop earlier, bought a teapot grenade launcher!

My copy arrived today. =^_^=

Is it just me or did SEGA not finish the box art? Look at the three screens on the back. The center image is just a mini template of the box art itself. :p

Ugh soooo many games to play.

The Take Out Bandit said:
My copy arrived today. =^_^=

Is it just me or did SEGA not finish the box art? Look at the three screens on the back. The center image is just a mini template of the box art itself. :p

Ugh soooo many games to play.

Huzzah!
Are you suing your Beast "Punky" still? Because I sent a message to that one haha.

kyo_daikun said:
Anyone meeting up tonight?

Hardly any teams online whenever I look :(

I think it's because the servers are giving people problems still, though I may be wrong. But there were a shit load more in the demo.

If my online doesn't give me attitude and all I'll be up for one.

kiryogi said:
I assume cross region play is out of the question. Or I'd join up with you guys.

Actually, I hear it isnt. When we decide to do it later on tonight you can give it a shot.

(OT): I've come to figure out I post in this thread too much. :lol

timnich

kyo_daikun said:
Anyone meeting up tonight?

Hardly any teams online whenever I look :(
I'll be on tonight. Who wants to set something (time, who's hosting, game name, etc)?

Oh and cross-region play is in.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Finished Chapter 3! S ranked both parts woohoo! Lots painful traps around in these which probably aren't used in the non-story versions of these missions/areas I assume? Regardless of what anyone thinks of the PSU series story modes, the trials for each chapter are much more exciting then the open versions of missions.

Now to complain!! Who and why would they make CAST color changing part of the overall body change?! I need 500k mesata if I want to make my Helly not blue?! Stupid! It was only 1000 mesata to change color in PSU/P! CASTs already get screwed on cool clothing now they take our colors away from us?!

kiryogi said:

Ripped off again -_- I think for Infinity I'll do what I am doing for Yakuza 4 and wait to purchase it until after other people have played the game and lists Segacs butchering. Segacs become the 4kids of gaming. With service like this people are excited for PSO2... why?

Blueblur1 said:
Also, I'm about to leave for work so I will update the OP in the evening. If anyone's got any recommendations for additions besides a spot for the item codes, a link to the US site for the game and a section for the DLC, let me know. Thanks. :)

I don't think we're going to be getting any DLC... no cool Valkyria items/clothing... nothing ;_;

Basically all the DLC stuff is in the game already, we just need codes for it (or find out if it drops from monsters in the game)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
kyo_daikun said:
Basically all the DLC stuff is in the game already, we just need codes for it (or find out if it drops from monsters in the game)

That post only refered to items related to the free downloadable missions, not the actual DLC from the PS Store items. If ya got a JP account hop on over to their store and you can see they have like nearly 100 DLC items both free and paid and more are still coming out.

Top Bottom