• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 |OT|

AwRy108

Man, I'm in love with all of this game except ONE THING: the game uses it's own software keyboard instead of the PSP's, and it is GOSH-AWFUL trying to type a msg to other people... the macros will help ease the pain, but not 100%.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Mejilan said:
- Game boots up fine on 5.50 Prometheus-2.
- Data installs complete successfully.
- Importing trial version character went off without a hitch and proceeded into story mode. Progress resumes literally where I left off. (Happy I won't have to re-do the slow opening).
- Activated multiplayer via my PS3, since PSN purchases and licensing can be a bit spotty with a CFW PSP.
- Verified that PSP2 online multi was showing up in my list of services on PS3.
- Accessed Transaction Management on PSP (which signed me into PSN using PSNLover 1.2 beta plug-in), and pulled up the list of services on the portable. PSP2 online multi did show up properly.
- Booted the game back up, loaded my save, and tried out online multi. Signed into PSN without issue.
- Proceeded to host a party, and very quickly I had two random people I don't know show up.

So... long story short, not really sure why others reported earlier in the thread that they couldn't go online with the game via CFW. It's clearly possible, and I look forward to joining some GAF games a little further on.

Wheeeeee!

Self-quoting for new page.
My brief tests suggest that taking the game online with CFW is quite possible!

Hotsuma said:
You said you went online on your PSP by using your PS3? How does this work? I'm really thinking about getting the game, but the lack of playing online with CFW had me a bit iffy. I think I'm on 5.50 Gen D or something like that.

No, I said that I used my PS3 to redeem the online multiplayer enabling voucher that came with my (retail) copy of the game.

Scalpel Knight said:
Apparently people who pirated the game can get online too. Kind of sad. :(

Really? How did they defeat the need to unlock the online multiplayer via a voucher?
I guess they hacked the digital release?

LALILULELO

Neo Member
Mejilan said:
Really? How did they defeat the need to unlock the online multiplayer via a voucher?

About the whole online play unlock voucher, I bought PSP2 in the shop (UMD) and it never ever asked me to enter it, and I played multiple hours online.
So I was wondering when I ever have to put in the little wing license?

timnich

I have a feeling that the whole "entering a code to play online" was just to scare those who normally would pirate the game to purchase it,even if it's a small handful. The codes probably do nothing. It would be great if it actually did what it was supposed to, as it would prevent the inevitable cheating and hacking online from escalating too much.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
LALILULELO said:
About the whole online play unlock voucher, I bought PSP2 in the shop (UMD) and it never ever asked me to enter it, and I played multiple hours online.
So I was wondering when I ever have to put in the little wing license?

I bought the game digitally and never had to enter in any license code either. I just went online and it worked.

It's good to hear that people can get online with CFW PSPs, although that makes me wonder how rampant cheating is going to get. I still don't regret buying a Go though...had some fun playing this on my TV with a PS3 controller last night. :)

Alex

Do you have to play story mode to unlock new stuff in the shops? Everything about this has been really progressive in tuning up the flaws of the past until this.

LALILULELO

Neo Member
Alex said:
Do you have to play story mode to unlock new stuff in the shops? Everything about this has been really progressive in tuning up the flaws of the past until this.

Stores were never that useful for getting new weapons etc in PSO, its all about finding those rare items in the field. Im not far in myself but I doubt that they changed that.

Actually the stores update their stock fairly regularly.
I believe it's tied to your current level.
Like right now I'm in the late 50s in terms of level and the stores carry a bunch of stuff at around level 50.

Also there's some nice bootleg weapons that can be bought at around level 30. They're cheap as hell, all C-ranks, and while they're not much to look at they're of decent strength and great for filling any holes in your arsenal.

Story mode sucks for rares btw. I mean the free missions are great but the story missions...ugh.

Mejilan said:
Self-quoting for new page.
My brief tests suggest that taking the game online with CFW is quite possible!

No, I said that I used my PS3 to redeem the online multiplayer enabling voucher that came with my (retail) copy of the game.

Wait, so you just went to the PSN store on your PS3 and put in your voucher code and since your psp was linked to that PS3 it let you go on? Or did you transfer something? Sorry, I'm just still confused about the whole using PS3 to put stuff on PSP.

Pietepiet

I can go to the lobby just fine, but whenever I try to connect to a party they're either full or I get a PSN Error. Anyone else having this issue?

Mejilan

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Wait, so you just went to the PSN store on your PS3 and put in your voucher code and since your psp was linked to that PS3 it let you go on? Or did you transfer something? Sorry, I'm just still confused about the whole using PS3 to put stuff on PSP.

The voucher isn't really DLC.
It adds a service to your PSN account.
Since my PS3 and PSP are both tied to the same PSN account, registering the Little Wings service via my PS3 will also apply to the PSP, as soon as I sign into my account on the PSP.

Scalpel Knight said:
Anyone playing online tonight? Last night I got an urgent mission with a random group and http://psp2.psupedia.info/Dragon_Slayer dropped for me. But someone returned to Clad 6 before I was able to pick it up. I was upset for hours :( I really hate that once someone leaves, the entire party exits the mission automatically. It hurt, man.

Exactly why I dont want to play with randoms, that would have really pissed me off.

Edit: New code

12344321 – Miku Leek Wand

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Lumia when did ya become so serious business?! U4A2 reminded me of the StD defense mission which I liked. In the fmv sequence Alterazgoug was shown in De Ragnus's lair what a lazy error to make! Then the thing went an killed me so I had to do the whole act over again but this time I kicked its butt with a vengenance! Story aside its back to open missions I do Sacred Stream and what should I find at the end but a mysterious warp?! Its a Dragon+Falz mashup o.o! Its got cool moves cool music cool battlefield and is just great! And boy do the titles keep on rolling in! I see there is one for an 80 hit chain now... ugh that's not gonna be easy. Totally gonna need multi-player for that!

Guh just took on a long as fuck side-mission.
It involved going through three areas with three boss fights. I got rank C cause well it took me 45 freaking minutes! Plus I got one-shotted a couple times which is always fun(found a spare scape doll at least).

My reward?
Ethan and Karen's partner cards...hurray. They're both wearing guardian uniforms too. First Maya and now these guys? Lame. Saving the world should lead to getting a badass outfit like Laia's.

Seriously the damage output in this game is a bit much. It'd be one thing if I was taking on guys 20 or so levels above me but when I get rocked on supposedly even ground by a lucky combination it just gets frustrating. It's really strange balance since otherwise if I can get away or throw up a heal I'll be just fine. Death is either neigh-instant or non-existent..not much of a middle-ground.

kiryogi said:
She grew up. And in shadow of her brother. As she often points out not wanting to have anything to do with him.

The entire time I was wondering "when the hell did Ethan get a long-lost sister?" then it just hit me like a ton of bricks. The creepy girl from PSU..with the skirt that..oh god I blocked those memories out for a reason.

kiryogi

Banned
Lindsay said:
Lumia when did ya become so serious business?! U4A2 reminded me of the StD defense mission which I liked. In the fmv sequence Alterazgoug was shown in De Ragnus's lair what a lazy error to make! Then the thing went an killed me so I had to do the whole act over again but this time I kicked its butt with a vengenance! Story aside its back to open missions I do Sacred Stream and what should I find at the end but a mysterious warp?! Its a Dragon+Falz mashup o.o! Its got cool moves cool music cool battlefield and is just great! And boy do the titles keep on rolling in! I see there is one for an 80 hit chain now... ugh that's not gonna be easy. Totally gonna need multi-player for that!

She grew up. And in shadow of her brother. As she often points out not wanting to have anything to do with him.

I hated PSU when I played it a couple years back, but this game is pretty damn awesome. Bought it yesterday, and I'm already level 21 (been playing online only so far). Any advantages to playing the Story Mode?

Is Ruins the only PSO stage that made a comeback?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
What the heck o_O coming outta the end of U5A2 I get an error message saying my install data is corrupt! Now stuff is loading slowly and the 3-5 second weapon load time has become a reality. With the install I'd hit the odd hiccup now and then but loads were not even close to what people were fussing over (prolly DD'ers trying ta justify their purchase). I guess now I have to delete and re-install it -.-

On another subject title rewards have been crap so far. PS:p's rewards, outside of the grinders, were all unique cool stuff. But in this game I'm actually getting reward re-runs so ta speak. LAME!

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Seriously the damage output in this game is a bit much. It'd be one thing if I was taking on guys 20 or so levels above me but when I get rocked on supposedly even ground by a lucky combination it just gets frustrating. It's really strange balance since otherwise if I can get away or throw up a heal I'll be just fine. Death is either neigh-instant or non-existent..not much of a middle-ground.

Ya I'd think it would be fine for multi-player but the single player challenge is kinda extreme! I hope PS:p2i finds that right balance between PS:p super easy mode & PS:p2 oh gawd why story modes. I'm glad they let ya return to the ship between story missions cause more often then not I'll need to pull a scape doll and other healing items outta storage.

The entire time I was wondering "when the hell did Ethan get a long-lost sister?" then it just hit me like a ton of bricks. The creepy girl from PSU..with the skirt that..oh god I blocked those memories out for a reason.

Creepy??

kiryogi said:

3 years is a long time but she was still so cheerful and a good learner at the end of ep3! Now she's the kind of guardian Ethan originally hated!

CurseoftheGods said:
Any advantages to playing the Story Mode?

The story! That and ya unlock more missions as you progress through it. Oh and titles!

Neudaiz - Is Ruins the only PSO stage that made a comeback?

If its anything like PSU then there should be a special rare PSO mission per planet.

Moatoob - Forest, Neudaiz - Caves, Parum - Mines, Clad 6 - Ruins

But thats only my speculation since I haven't got a rare mission in this game yet.

Pietepiet

Lindsay said:
What the heck o_O coming outta the end of U5A2 I get an error message saying my install data is corrupt! Now stuff is loading slowly and the 3-5 second weapon load time has become a reality. With the install I'd hit the odd hiccup now and then but loads were not even close to what people were fussing over (prolly DD'ers trying ta justify their purchase). I guess now I have to delete and re-install it -.-

I had this happen earlier in the game. Saved, quit, started it up again, went into options, ticked "Install" back to "On". Worked fine again.

I don't know, the game is weird like that.

Also, would love to play with some of you guys. I tried doing random runs but everyone is locking their games because they're afraid of strangers or something.

kiryogi

Banned
Every single mission that was on PSU is on PSP. That includes the PSO retro stages.

Lindsay: Also I'd say she had a pretty traumatic time in Ep3 depending which route you went.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Pietepiet said:
I had this happen earlier in the game. Saved, quit, started it up again, went into options, ticked "Install" back to "On". Worked fine again.

I don't know, the game is weird like that.

Ohh thanks thanks that saved me some re-installing time!

Also, would love to play with some of you guys. I tried doing random runs but everyone is locking their games because they're afraid of strangers or something.

I blame the lack of proper lobbies it makes things so impersonal an less fun to goof around in. Plus alotta people got burned by jerk players/parties in PSU so that'd cause returning peeps to shut in I'd think.

kiryogi said:
Every single mission that was on PSU is on PSP. That includes the PSO retro stages.

Even Lab Recovery? Woohoo! Thats a much better lab-type mission then annoying ol' Endrum Remnants!

Lindsay: Also I'd say she had a pretty traumatic time in Ep3 depending which route you went.

I went all the routes! Oooo how I hate them for not making Ep3 available offline cause I was really only able ta get through each route once before closure. The memories they are fading!

Lemme take this opportunity to say: Fuck Chapter 6 in its entirety, especially you Nano Dragons! I ended up B ranking both acts cause of these teeny hard to see time limits but those were only half of it cause enemies like Bil De Vear and Nano Dragon aka "kill you in a matter of seconds" themselves take forever to kill! It took me a couple hours and many starts back from the beginning to finally clear that chapter. Oh and screw Dragon and its janky ass hit box. Rage!

I can honestly say that the game is working for me online 100% great now, wen tup like 4 levels from just doing online open missions.

Pietepiet

Yeah, I got it working too. Just had to open some ports. Wasn't able to connect to games before but now I can :)

Anyone want to get online real quick to exchange partner cards? I've set up a game:

Room: GAF
Password: cardtrad (not a typo, the e didn't fit...)

Just want to exchange cards so I can find you guys easier later. Don't think I'll play much, pretty tired and want to head to bed soon.

Mejilan said:
Since my PS3 and PSP are both tied to the same PSN account, registering the Little Wings service via my PS3 will also apply to the PSP, as soon as I sign into my account on the PSP.

Ah, ok. I figured it wasn't anyway to download but wasn't sure how they handled that, makes sense to just link to account.

Pietepiet said:
Yeah, I got it working too. Just had to open some ports. Wasn't able to connect to games before but now I can :)

Anyone want to get online real quick to exchange partner cards? I've set up a game:

Room: GAF
Password: cardtrad (not a typo, the e didn't fit...)

Just want to exchange cards so I can find you guys easier later. Don't think I'll play much, pretty tired and want to head to bed soon.

Is your room still up? I doubt it but thought I'd ask.

edit: haha I checked, it isnt.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
kiryogi said:

WHA?! The four PSO areas are in this game somewhere...?

Ridley327

Well, I just got a Kakwane suit from a boss chest drop. I'm never taking this off. :lol :lol :lol

A shame about the online's netcode and performance, though; it gets really rough at times.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Mejilan said:

I don't recall getting a voucher when I bought the game. How do I find it?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
OMG what have they done to Scarred Planet & Lightning Beasts?! One of the greatest mission settings in the series and they go and completely nerf not 1 but BOTH of the missions which take place there? They've completely chopped these missions to pieces! They average like 2 to 3 rooms per sector now! Curse you Sakaiiiii!

Mejilan

Lyte Edge said:
I don't recall getting a voucher when I bought the game. How do I find it?
Came as a separate, one page paper stuck right in front of the game's manual, sealed in the box. Its flip side had the PSN download code that must be redeemed.

My friend just told me he was playing online with randoms, they finished a mission and an urgent mission came up afterwards, straight away the party leader removed everyone from the party.

Some dirty ass people out there...

depward

kyo_daikun said:
My friend just told me he was playing online with randoms, they finished a mission and an urgent mission came up afterwards, straight away the party leader removed everyone from the party.

Damn, that sucks!

I've had nothing but great experience with randoms. However, most of the time it's been myself setting up a room and just labeling it as "leveling up" or something so that people know exactly what they're getting into.

Yeah probably just bad luck playing with a 10 year old or something.

Me and my girlfriend noticed something about the Miku hatsune clothes yesterday, going to test it out later and i'll let you guys know if it pans out (not sure if anyone wants these clothes tho :lol )

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I ran into another glitch but this one hurt me so much more! I got into another battle with the rare dragon boss and partway through the fight it became untargetable! It could hurt me but I couldn't hurt it at all. That's so cruel!! I even had a nice rare drop boost from Sayo! All I could do was either let it kill me or quit out of the mission (or the game obviously). ;_;

kyo_daikun said:

Sounds like the asshole PSU crowd made it over to this game -_-

timnich

Anyone want to play right now? I haven't touched the game in a few days and seems like interest in this game is dropping, so I'd like to get a few games in.

kiryogi

Banned
Lindsay said:
I ran into another glitch but this one hurt me so much more! I got into another battle with the rare dragon boss and partway through the fight it became untargetable! It could hurt me but I couldn't hurt it at all. That's so cruel!! I even had a nice rare drop boost from Sayo! All I could do was either let it kill me or quit out of the mission (or the game obviously). ;_;

Sounds like the asshole PSU crowd made it over to this game -_-

Heh Lindsay, why don't you play on the imports considering you're such a big fan.

Why is this game so damn hard to find? I've gone to almost every Best Buy near me and none of them have it despite saying they do on the website. >:|

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Mannnnn. Rainbow Beast is now only 2 sectors long with the second one being trimmed down to just a single room. A bunch of old missions have become super short to the point where I wonder why they didn't just merge them into a single long-ish sector.

kiryogi said:
Heh Lindsay, why don't you play on the imports considering you're such a big fan.

Cause I like the stories and being able to read everything and stuff. I'm not that big of a fan its not like I've written guides or compiled data on in-game stuff berated PSUPedia and other fansites for their many shortcomings nor have I contributed to 'em. Just a regular fan who gets an plays each game.

I AM JOHN! said:
Why is this game so damn hard to find? I've gone to almost every Best Buy near me and none of them have it despite saying they do on the website. >:|

Segac pulled an Atlus.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Maybe so but then why not make them into one map instead of us having to load up 2 to 3 seperate sectors? Like I said some of these smushed together would only be about as long as a single sector from a PSU version of these mission.

On another note I finally found the cake shop! Rare boss check, cake shop check, urgent mission? Nopes. Is there an arena like in PSØ? I wonder if theres an eternal tower... also I need ta pop PS:p back in and check on the colors in the habirao missions cause they seem different in PS:p2.

Ridley327

The urgent mission where you have to kill the flaming monsters is crazy. They throw so many enemies at you that it's a miracle that the framerate isn't worse. I manged to level up three times in that mission.

So PSN Maintenance is tomorrow for basically the whole day 8am PST to 5pm PST which prby means no Onine for us all of tomorrow.

Anybody up right now and wanna do a mission?

DeVeAn

So how is this game coming along for the fans? Is it hella fun? I want it so bad buy trying to follow my set of "rules" in buying games, as in not buying a game unless I plan to play it now. Finished KHBBS still got DQIX goin and got Sports Champions through PS3 Slim bundle.

This I plan to get next along with VC2. So should I get this or wait for PSP2i?

DeVeAn said:
So how is this game coming along for the fans? Is it hella fun? I want it so bad buy trying to follow my set of "rules" in buying games, as in not buying a game unless I plan to play it now. Finished KHBBS still got DQIX goin and got Sports Champions through PS3 Slim bundle.

I think it's basically a guarantee PSP2i wont be coming here...at the least it will be a year and thats IF it comes here.

matmanx1

DeVeAn said:

I've done nothing but single player because my playtimes tend to be very brief (1 mission and done) but I've still managed to have a blast and rack up about 10 hours total game time. PSP2 is a fun little loot game with some slick mechanics and a graphical "look" that I really dig and I can see myself putting alot of time into it.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Gotta say now that I've got 30-some hours into the game that guarding is the best thing added to this series. Nuts to the dodge! It was fun at first and its still cute to roll through sector gates but really I could live without it. Guarding is brilliant and has become much more of a reflexive move then the dodge!

Lindsay said:
Gotta say now that I've got 30-some hours into the game that guarding is the best thing added to this series. Nuts to the dodge! It was fun at first and its still cute to roll through sector gates but really I could live without it. Guarding is brilliant and has become much more of a reflexive move then the dodge!

Im the exact opposite! I roll more than block for some reason, not sure why just feels easier.

On PSO-world they are having a vote for which item code is released next (SEGA community manager Ruby Eclipse is doing it) so make sure you vote for which one you want!

Pietepiet

Lindsay said:

Totally with you. Blocking feels SO good.
I haven't put that much time into the game yet, trying to catch up with everyone level wise.

Top Bottom