• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Chuckpebble

Used to cross this intersection all the time, never noticed these:
PHL_16_Chestnut_ONeill2.jpg

Check out philly native, Apple blogger, and filthy Cowboy/Yankees fan John Gruber's recent post about these Toynbee Tiles.
http://daringfireball.net/linked/2015/10/02/toynbee-tiles-dwindle
Kinda blowing my mind.

Brick and Mortar has really improved since I was here last. Beverage program was always great but kitchen is catching up.

Also, lovely night for a stroll, even if solo drinking is a bit depressing.

Rainy

Banned
This is a weird question, but what's a good place to get a good umbrella around Center City? Might just head to Burlington Coat Factory or something near Chinatown..

psylah

They have to be new. I was down there about a month ago and didn't notice them either.

Or maybe I wasn't paying attention.

They've been placed on various streets in Philly and as far south as the Carolinas or something for the past several decades.

The guy who laid them down died apparently, so if it's new it would have to be a copycat.

Robert Williams

Neo Member
The thing that impressed me the most about Philadelphia was the quality of the public artworks. It seemed better than any other place I've been in America right down to the train station graffiti.

Getting nervous, a lot of rumors around campus... class isn't cancelled though.
I live off campus and honestly don't know if I can make myself go in tomorrow

Gotta be really stressful. Hoping it's just a hoax. There are so many unis in the area too. Honestly don't know the best way to handle this situation.

We need sane gun laws.

The Llama

If you locked places in Philly down every time for a person with a weapon nothing would ever be open.

Heh, sad but true. After the 4chan threat I saw a bunch of people basically wondering why Penn/Drexel/Temple kids cared so much about that when they seem oblivious to all the violence happening just blocks off their campuses.

Heh, sad but true. After the 4chan threat I saw a bunch of people basically wondering why Penn/Drexel/Temple kids cared so much about that when they seem oblivious to all the violence happening just blocks off their campuses.

I am sympathetic because I think a copycat style thing is a very real threat. You also have to keep in mind that while murder rates in Philly are high, it's very rare for it to be random. It's mostly drug related or between known acquaintances in some manner, or bystanders injured in a shooting. It's still shocking to hear about random violence even in a city with as much violence as there is.

The Llama

Is that in the Municipal Services Building? Or would you actually be working in City Hall? Working in City Hall would be dope.

One Parkway, actually. Eh I dunno about actually working in City Hall haha. It's one of my absolute favorite buildings from the outside, but inside? No thanks. I've been in several judges chambers (and courtrooms), and its just so outdated in general.

One Parkway, actually. Eh I dunno about actually working in City Hall haha. It's one of my absolute favorite buildings from the outside, but inside? No thanks. I've been in several judges chambers (and courtrooms), and its just so outdated in general.

Ahh. Good location at least. I do hear the AC in City Hall is atrocious, so maybe it wouldn't be the greatest place to work.

StevieWhite

Yeah - as another lawyer, I can confirm it looks like it hasn't been swept since the 70s.

ACE 1991

Man, I'm really loving living in Manayunk so far. Being surrounded by people my age and being within walking distance of tons of cool restaurants/bars is a nice change, plus I'm a huge cyclist so being less than a mile from the Schulykill River Trail is fantastic. My commute sucks ass, but it's absolutely worth it I think.

Serious question.

So...there is this girl who's in the same major as me who's from Philly...and I think you are where I am going with this. Bottom line, I think I'm developing some feelings towards her, ie a crush! Yay (or not).

Anyway, it also doesn't hurt that I have a natural interest in where she is from. So what should I ask her? Any topics people from Philly love to talk about when it comes to their own city. The only one I can't think of is sports, I won't ask about that.

Advice?

andthebeatgoeson

Serious question.

So...there is this girl who's in the same major as me who's from Philly...and I think you are where I am going with this. Bottom line, I think I'm developing some feelings towards her, ie a crush! Yay (or not).

Anyway, it also doesn't hurt that I have a natural interest in where she is from. So what should I ask her? Any topics people from Philly love to talk about when it comes to their own city. The only one I can't think of is sports, I won't ask about that.

Advice?
Advice. Quit now. She's not cut from stone. Her birth place may influence 2% of who she is. You are over thinking this. Which will lead to nervousness.

Start by telling her you have a crush on her. Ask how her day was. Then pick a nice (nonsexual) thing about her and compliment her on it.

Ryuukan

Serious question.

Advice?

tell her you think hockey is overrated and the Flyers are garbage

if you wake up the next day, ask her out

BFIB

Got to check out a little of your fine city. Only here for 36 hrs or so, but got to see Liberty Bell, Independence Hall. Stayed at a Sheraton down by those spots. Went to Second Story Brewing Co, got to chat up some Flyers fans for a bit. The bartender even switched one of the TVs so I could catch some of the Blues game.

Great short trip, but you all were great. Hope to make it back someday!

Got to check out a little of your fine city. Only here for 36 hrs or so, but got to see Liberty Bell, Independence Hall. Stayed at a Sheraton down by those spots. Went to Second Story Brewing Co, got to chat up some Flyers fans for a bit. The bartender even switched one of the TVs so I could catch some of the Blues game.

Great short trip, but you all were great. Hope to make it back someday!

Glad you enjoyed it? Which Cheesesteak did you end up getting?

Top Bottom