• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

esms

Serious question.

So...there is this girl who's in the same major as me who's from Philly...and I think you are where I am going with this. Bottom line, I think I'm developing some feelings towards her, ie a crush! Yay (or not).

Anyway, it also doesn't hurt that I have a natural interest in where she is from. So what should I ask her? Any topics people from Philly love to talk about when it comes to their own city. The only one I can't think of is sports, I won't ask about that.

Advice?

I think it'd be better to talk about your mutual major, but if you really want to go that route: Eagles suck, Flyers suck, Sixers suck.

Alucrid

Banned
Serious question.

So...there is this girl who's in the same major as me who's from Philly...and I think you are where I am going with this. Bottom line, I think I'm developing some feelings towards her, ie a crush! Yay (or not).

Anyway, it also doesn't hurt that I have a natural interest in where she is from. So what should I ask her? Any topics people from Philly love to talk about when it comes to their own city. The only one I can't think of is sports, I won't ask about that.

Advice?
Talk about how cool algernon cadwallader is

GodofWine

Serious question.

Advice?

Ask her if she's has ever been to The Franklin Mortgage Company, (speak easy whiskey bar), if she says yes, tell her about a place near you (wherever you are???) That is like it (find one!) and ask her if she'd like to go...if she never heard of it, same deal.

Ask her if she's has ever been to The Franklin Mortgage Company, (speak easy whiskey bar), if she says yes, tell her about a place near you (wherever you are???) That is like it (find one!) and ask her if she'd like to go...if she never heard of it, same deal.

The Franklin Bar upstairs portion is so much better than the downstairs now. Lost the pretension, but they still have great drinks and awesome drink deals.

Sources: Ramsey to announce retirement tomorrow

POLICE COMMISSIONER Charles Ramsey will announce his intention to retire at the end of the year during a news conference tomorrow morning at City Hall, the Daily News has learned.

Terrible news for the city. Ramsey was a shining light in reform and cleaning up our city. It's going to be really, really hard to find someone to fill his shoes.

On the other hand, good for him. He's 65, put in years of commitment to what must have been an extremely stressful and difficult job. He's earned the rest. I'm sure he's got a lot on his hands with all of the committees he's a part of as well.

esms

Sources: Ramsey to announce retirement tomorrow

Terrible news for the city. Ramsey was a shining light in reform and cleaning up our city. It's going to be really, really hard to find someone to fill his shoes.

On the other hand, good for him. He's 65, put in years of commitment to what must have been an extremely stressful and difficult job. He's earned the rest. I'm sure he's got a lot on his hands with all of the committees he's a part of as well.

Get someone younger with the same mindset. Will this be Nutter's nom or the next mayor's?

ACE 1991

My girlfriend and I are looking into adopting a puppy soon, does anyone have any experience with shelters/rescues in Philly? We live in Manayunk right next to the Wissahickon, so we are in a great place to have a dog, plus our landlord doesn't care about pets. Looking for a medium sized dog on the smaller size I think (45/50lb).

Get someone younger with the same mindset. Will this be Nutter's nom or the next mayor's?

He's retiring at the end of the year, so it will be up to Kenney early next year. (As a side note it's sad that the election results are a foregone conclusion a month before the election).

I hope there is someone with the depth of experience that Ramsey had though. The same mindset is one thing, but having years of experience dealing with the bureaucracy of big city police departments is an entirely different beast. Without having both there's no way the new Commissioner can effect the same kind of change Ramsey has.

My girlfriend and I are looking into adopting a puppy soon, does anyone have any experience with shelters/rescues in Philly? We live in Manayunk right next to the Wissahickon, so we are in a great place to have a dog, plus our landlord doesn't care about pets. Looking for a medium sized dog on the smaller size I think (45/50lb).

PAWS

Trouble with adopting there is that when I looked 99% of the dogs were Pit Bulls and I a) had no desire to have a pit bull and b) I feel they are too big for my house. A quick glance though shows a lot of different breeds, so it must have just been the time I looked. I also looked at Mainline animal rescue, but they don't adopt dogs out to people who don't have yards, at least that's what they told me, no matter how close you are to parks.

After a month or two of trying to find a Westie to rescue we just went with a breeder.

ACE 1991

He's retiring at the end of the year, so it will be up to Kenney early next year. (As a side note it's sad that the election results are a foregone conclusion a month before the election).

I hope there is someone with the depth of experience that Ramsey had though. The same mindset is one thing, but having years of experience dealing with the bureaucracy of big city police departments is an entirely different beast. Without having both there's no way the new Commissioner can effect the same kind of change Ramsey has.

PAWS

Trouble with adopting there is that when I looked 99% of the dogs were Pit Bulls and I a) had no desire to have a pit bull and b) I feel they are too big for my house. A quick glance though shows a lot of different breeds, so it must have just been the time I looked. I also looked at Mainline animal rescue, but they don't adopt dogs out to people who don't have yards, at least that's what they told me, no matter how close you are to parks.

After a month or two of trying to find a Westie to rescue we just went with a breeder.

Yeah, this is what I'm worried about. We don't have a big apartment (600sq ft) but we do have a private yard. We don't want a pit bull and don't want a super small or super large dog, so given these requirements it may be hard to rescue.

esms

I agree. The last thing this city needs is a "tough on crime" commish.

PAWS is a good suggestion (I volunteer there from time to time). My GF and I adopted a German Shepherd mix pup from the PSPCA just recently. From the conditions she described, you're doing those dogs a massive favor by adopting. They've also got a wider selection of dogs.

The choice is yours, though!

ACE 1991

I agree. The last thing this city needs is a "tough on crime" commish.

PAWS is a good suggestion (I volunteer there from time to time). My GF and I adopted a German Shepherd mix pup from the PSPCA just recently. From the conditions she described, you're doing those dogs a massive favor by adopting. They've also got a wider selection of dogs.

The choice is yours, though!

Thanks! According to their website they have literally zero puppies at the moment, lol.

Anyone here live in/near Francisville? Thinking about living there, wondering what y'all think.

I live in Francisville and love it. Great transit access, great restaurants and amenities in the area, extremely reasonable rents/housing costs, and an easy distance to CC.

I bought my condo for $260k in 2011, and got is assessed at $360k this past winter. That is some crazy appreciation. With all of the crazy changes happing with the Divine Lorraine and 1300 Fairmount, plus the crazy amount of development on Ridge Ave, investing in the neighborhood seems like a no brainer.

I live at about Uber and Fairmount. Greatest neighborhood out there. Walrus lives around here too. He loves it.

I am super excited for the microbrewery going in at 1720 Fairmount. Gonna be awesome. Also, Townsend Wentz is opening a restaurant at 23rd and Fairmount, which should be excellent. His place on East Passyunk is incredible. Then there is a big development on the corner of 17th and Fairmount which is gonna be excellent. Great time to be a Francisvillain. This neighborhood is gonna explode in the next three years. It's going to be unrecognizable.

I lived in Francisville before I moved to the burbs. It's a great neighborhood. Close to the Art Museum, lots of restaurants/bars, can walk to CC/other neighborhoods, etc.

Just, uh...don't go too far past Girard

I lived in Francisville before I moved to the burbs. It's a great neighborhood. Close to the Art Museum, lots of restaurants/bars, can walk to CC/other neighborhoods, etc.

Just, uh...don't go too far past Girard

Haha, for sure. North of Girard gets sketchy real fast. But the crazy thing is that when I moved to this area moving North of Fairmount was considered a sure death sentence.

Haha, for sure. North of Girard gets sketchy real fast. But the crazy thing is that when I moved to this area moving North of Fairmount was considered a sure death sentence.

I lived right off of 19th and Girard, on the real borderline. It's crazy thinking that North of Fairmount would be considered bad. That neighborhood is amazing.

And with the Lorraine/1300 Fairmount stuff, that neighborhood is just going to get bigger. It's going to be real interesting checking it out when I come down to Philly every once in a while.

I lived right off of 19th and Girard, on the real borderline. It's crazy thinking that North of Fairmount would be considered bad. That neighborhood is amazing.

And with the Lorraine/1300 Fairmount stuff, that neighborhood is just going to get bigger. It's going to be real interesting checking it out when I come down to Philly every once in a while.

Yeah the neighborhood is changing crazy fast, but I like the direction it is going. Penny Giles is in charge of the neighborhood association and she does a great job of balancing the interest of new/gentrifying residents with the existing residents. There's absolutely no reason that the changes in the neighborhood can't benefit all of us. I think the neighborhood will thrive the most if it embraces the current demographic instead of displacing it, and I think Francisville is doing it better than almost any neighborhood in the city. Ridge Ave is going to turn into the next East Passyunk, but it's going to do it while embracing the black and hispanic history that has been in the neighborhood for the last 50 years. At least, that's my hope.

StevieWhite

Ridge Ave is going to turn into the next East Passyunk, but it's going to do it while embracing the black and hispanic history that has been in the neighborhood for the last 50 years. At least, that's my hope.
I hope so, but I don't know if that's likely, particularly if redevelopment continues at the pace it is going.

I'm a white dude, and I have found our black and hispanic neighbors to be infinitely more welcoming than the newer "gentrifying" residents who, on my block, at least, can be very smarmy yuppies. I also fear that many of said yuppies will leave in a few years when their abatement runs out, because they won't want to put their kids in Philadelphia schools. I don't think this is a problem native to Francisville, but I think your going to see a lot of folks leave as they get further into their 30s.

But I have been too negative here. Francisville is great!. I have lived here in some form or another since 2008. Generally safe, and ample access to both food an drink. Plus, every October, you get to hear the screams of people in the prison. It truly is amazing how many blighted buildings have been replaced with beautiful new houses and storefronts.

Me and my wife bought our house back in 2011 and haven't regretted it one bit.

I hope so, but I don't know if that's likely, particularly if redevelopment continues at the pace it is going.

I'm a white dude, and I have found our black and hispanic neighbors to be infinitely more welcoming than the newer "gentrifying" residents who, on my block, at least, can be very smarmy yuppies. I also fear that many of said yuppies will leave in a few years when their abatement runs out, because they won't want to put their kids in Philadelphia schools. I don't think this is a problem native to Francisville, but I think your going to see a lot of folks leave as they get further into their 30s.

But I have been too negative here. Francisville is great!. I have lived here in some form or another since 2008. Generally safe, and ample access to both food an drink. Plus, every October, you get to hear the screams of people in the prison. It truly is amazing how many blighted buildings have been replaced with beautiful new houses and storefronts.

Me and my wife bought our house back in 2011 and haven't regretted it one bit.

There are like 5+ major developments under construction on Ridge Ave right now, actually. I spoke with a major builder in the area, and he said pretty much every lot on Ridge Ave between Fairmount and Girard is bought and is in the planning or preconstruction phase as of this year, and he thinks in two or three years it will be completely filled in. The pace of development in the neighborhood is going to ramp up hard now that the Divine Lorraine project is a go, and 1300 Fairmount just got what I believe is the final approval they needed before they could start construction. By 2017 Broad and Fairmount will have 300-400 new housing units all on one corner. I don't see how Ridge doesn't flourish as a commercial corridor with the levels of demand that will bring.

Yeah I saw that news. It is sad, but with all of the great new concert venues going in the city I don't think they could draw the bookings anymore. People would rather go to Union Transfer, or now the Fillmore for a concert than North Star, which is kind of hard to get to from other areas of the city since it's not really near rapid transit.

You can still get the Lindemans Framboise in the neighborhood though! St. Stephen's, Belgian Cafe, and London all carry it. Probably more places.

Ryuukan

finally tried Royal Tea Truck on Drexel's campus

best bubble tea Ive had in philly ever

also the taiwanese popcorn chicken is tasty and you get a good amount for only $4

You can still get the Lindemans Framboise in the neighborhood though! St. Stephen's, Belgian Cafe, and London all carry it. Probably more places.

I want a big ass bottle of it. The Spring Garden cafe has Lambic, just not that one! I got one at London's when I was watching the Super Bowl there. Good shit

Homeless man died in Rittenhouse Square last night

Incredibly sad.

esms, do me a favor and add this to the OP

Homeless Outreach Hotline: 215-232-1984

If you guys see someone who is homeless call that number, particularly if you see someone in distress. They may tell you to direct the individual to a shelter, but you can tell them it's absolutely necessary for them to send someone out to check on the individual.

I walked right by the park last night after leaving a Project HOME event. Wish I had seen him so I could have done something to help.

The Llama

Thanks for the info guys. I'm thinking about a place about a block from 19th and Girard, actually, so its funny BronsonLee used to live there. I was hoping to be closer to Fairmount than Girard, tbh, but I think I should be fine there. And AWF's news of Ridge developing in the next few years gives me hope. So much potential on Ridge and Girard.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm thinking about a place about a block from 19th and Girard, actually, so its funny BronsonLee used to live there. I was hoping to be closer to Fairmount than Girard, tbh, but I think I should be fine there. And AWF's news of Ridge developing in the next few years gives me hope. So much potential on Ridge and Girard.

It's a good spot, it seems sketch but you're fine. Don't get gas at that BP, it's wah overpriced.

Fairmount is real close to Girard, like 5-10 mins.

The Llama

It's a good spot, it seems sketch but you're fine. Don't get gas at that BP, it's wah overpriced.

Fairmount is real close to Girard, like 5-10 mins.

Yeah I know they're close. My dad has actually worked on west Fairmount for the past 25 years, so I'm relatively familiar with the area. Was just hoping to be a little closer, but it's no big deal. It's gonna be kinda long but I'm hoping to walk to my job in center city most days. Should be nice exercise.

Yeah I know they're close. My dad has actually worked on west Fairmount for the past 25 years, so I'm relatively familiar with the area. Was just hoping to be a little closer, but it's no big deal. It's gonna be kinda long but I'm hoping to walk to my job in center city most days. Should be nice exercise.

I worked near City Hall for 3 years, its a half hour walk. Was real good exercise!

The Llama

I worked near City Hall for 3 years, its a half hour walk. Was real good exercise!

I'll be at 1515 Arch, so yeah, should be just about doable. I figure in the worst of winter I'll just take the subway though haha.

Also super hype to (potentially) be so close to the trolley on Girard. Super easy to get to Fishtown.

esms

Homeless man died in Rittenhouse Square last night

Incredibly sad.

esms, do me a favor and add this to the OP

Homeless Outreach Hotline: 215-232-1984

If you guys see someone who is homeless call that number, particularly if you see someone in distress. They may tell you to direct the individual to a shelter, but you can tell them it's absolutely necessary for them to send someone out to check on the individual.

I walked right by the park last night after leaving a Project HOME event. Wish I had seen him so I could have done something to help.

Done. I never knew about this.

grkazan12

Hey PhillyGAF, I've been researching a ton on fire code laws about charcoal grill on patios/decks for Pennsylvania, but I haven't found anything. This is more on me, but do any PA people know of the law requirements? Specifically in Delaware County, like KOP or Media.

esms

Hey PhillyGAF, I've been researching a ton on fire code laws about charcoal grill on patios/decks for Pennsylvania, but I haven't found anything. This is more on me, but do any PA people know of the law requirements? Specifically in Delaware County, like KOP or Media.

If you're renting, this is often up to the property owner.

The Llama

Check your townships laws as well. My parents township bans firepits, for example (and they live next door to the township tax collector, so probably not a good idea to break that law haha).

Top Bottom