• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Ryuukan

Heh, really? The suburban Brave New Worlds was where I always used to go buy Pokemon cards when I was young.

The Willow Grove one was great in the 90s but then I went back there a few times in 2004 for FNM and it was mostly racist spoiled kids. From what I've heard it hasn't really changed

The Llama

The Willow Grove one was great in the 90s but then I went back there a few times in 2004 for FNM and it was mostly racist spoiled kids. From what I've heard it hasn't really changed

Weird. I went back when it was still in Jenkintown. Never went after they moved (which was sometime early 2000's).

Philly game night would be great, seeing as I have an awesome 2-3 player LOTR board game and literally no one to play with (War of the Ring, if anyone's curious) haha.

Ryuukan

Weird. I went back when it was still in Jenkintown. Never went after they moved (which was sometime early 2000's).

have great memories of the Jenkintown store

staring at a Black Lotus in the glass counter and thinking someday I'll be able to afford that $65 card

StevieWhite

Okay, I am hell bent on making PhillyGAF game club a thing.

I was thinking "video game club" but some seem to have interpreted this as "board game club." This is also a wonderful idea. No reason why we couldn't do both.

In any event, the first step is to pick a game. Suggestions? I nominate... SOMA. We could also go older/classic if people want to do that.

Pbae

I think Atomic City Comics on South St. allows you bring board or card games to play in their sitting area. They also have some arcade machines too.

No idea about where to meet up for Video games other than a host.

Admodieus

Okay, I am hell bent on making PhillyGAF game club a thing.

I was thinking "video game club" but some seem to have interpreted this as "board game club." This is also a wonderful idea. No reason why we couldn't do both.

In any event, the first step is to pick a game. Suggestions? I nominate... SOMA. We could also go older/classic if people want to do that.

I'd be down for such a thing, but most of the rest of 2015 will be dedicated to Fallout 4 for me.

The Llama

I'm down for Philly game club in a month or 2. Starting my new job Monday and in the process of finding a place to live (put an offer in yesterday to start the negotiations), so after my life becomes normal again I'm definitely interested. Could potentially host, depending on where I actually end up living.
KuGsj.gif

Deku Tree

Gonna switch from Comcast to FIOS in south Philly.

Gotta do 50/50 instead of 100/100 because I don't want them running an Ethernet wire through my house.

Comcast has more TV services, but FIOS has all the channels that I actually ever watch.

The Llama

Gonna switch from Comcast to FIOS in south Philly.

Gotta do 50/50 instead of 100/100 because I don't want them running an Ethernet wire through my house.

Comcast has more TV services, but FIOS has all the channels that I actually ever watch.

When I move to a new place (I'm 99% set on one haha) I was thinking of getting FIOS. What's this about them needing to run an ethernet wire if you get a faster speed?

Deku Tree

When I move to a new place (I'm 99% set on one haha) I was thinking of getting FIOS. What's this about them needing to run an ethernet wire if you get a faster speed?

My house is wired with coax cable from my garage through the walls into four different rooms.

FIOS can only guarantee 50/50 speeds through the coax. If I want 100/100 or higher then they need to run an additional Ethernet cable to their router.

The Llama

My house is wired with coax cable from my garage through the walls into four different rooms.

FIOS can only guarantee 50/50 speeds through the coax. If I want 100/100 or higher then they need to run an additional Ethernet cable to their router.

That's bizarre! I'm looking at something new construction, and wouldn't want them to have to run an ethernet cable too (half my interest in something new is because it's already wired up nicely haha). Will have to think about this, thanks for the info.

Deku Tree

That's bizarre! I'm looking at something new construction, and wouldn't want them to have to run an ethernet cable too (half my interest in something new is because it's already wired up nicely haha). Will have to think about this, thanks for the info.

If you can figure out which room you would want your router in, and if you get in before all the walls are built then you might be able to ask the builder to run an Ethernet cable to that room. They might try to charge you some ridiculous price for it though given some Philly builders.

The Llama

If you can figure out which room you would want your router in, and if you get in before all the walls are built then you might be able to ask the builder to run an Ethernet cable to that room. They might try to charge you some ridiculous price for it though given some Philly builders.

Place I'm looking at is basically already done, so sadly couldn't do anything like that. Could obviously just do it myself (or have someone from my dads work help me, they do wiring as part of their jobs), but it's still unfortunate if I decide to go the FIOS route. Just makes it more likely I'll end up back with Comcast tbh haha.

Deku Tree

Place I'm looking at is basically already done, so sadly couldn't do anything like that. Could obviously just do it myself (or have someone from my dads work help me, they do wiring as part of their jobs), but it's still unfortunate if I decide to go the FIOS route. Just makes it more likely I'll end up back with Comcast tbh haha.

I have up to 90 Mbps with Comcast right now but most of the time when I use it I get more like 20 - 30 Mbps. TBH that's plenty fast for me. But if FIOS can provide guaranteed 50 Mbps I'll be happy.

The Llama

Would you want the ethernet for the future? Or is fios locked to a certain speed forever?

Yeah I was actually just thinking this, that it'd be nice to run some ethernet around the place anyway (and since it's already wired nicely for cable, surely it wouldn't be TOO difficult... right?).

I have up to 90 Mbps with Comcast right now but most of the time when I use it I get more like 20 - 30 Mbps. TBH that's plenty fast for me. But if FIOS can provide guaranteed 50 Mbps I'll be happy.

My parents house is old as hell (built 1927, renovated in the 70's AFAIK) with crappy cable wiring, and they still get >150 Mbps from Comcast. My dad bragged to me yesterday that he got 180 Mbps via Speedtest on his phone. Not fair haha.

I haven't been very happy with FIOS out here in the suburbs, especially when using On Demand, lots of stuttering, in can be unwatchable. We're going to switch back to Comcast soon.

Chuckpebble

I haven't been very happy with FIOS out here in the suburbs, especially when using On Demand, lots of stuttering, in can be unwatchable. We're going to switch back to Comcast soon.

I'm in Bucks county. I have problems with stuttering intermittently. Maybe like once every 3 months I'll have a few days where channels just turn black for a second at random. Only certain channels. I had switched to Comcast for a bit, maybe 3 years ago, but came back because the bill was never the same from month to month for some reason and their customer service was terrible. Isn't open competition wonderful. I get to choose between shit and garbage.

bigkrev

I'm over the bridge in the Jersey suburbs, but I've never had a single problem with FIOS.

Granted, I don't think i've ever used On Demand in the 6 years I've had the services.

I'm over the bridge in the Jersey suburbs, but I've never had a single problem with FIOS.

Granted, I don't think i've ever used On Demand in the 6 years I've had the services.
I should have mentioned that I'm in Devon

My parents in Jersey have FIOS and don't have any issues either

I'm getting 80/90 in wifi in my area (DE suburbs) using FiOS. This is on a 75/75 package.

By the way, sending you a PM too.

Pbae

Would you guys wanna do a board game night? Usually a little easier to get more people involved than with a video game.

I'll only participate if you can guarantee there will be Snakes and Ladders 2015 Definitive Boardgame of the Year Edition ft. the newly added Boa add on.

I'm down regardless

The Llama

I should know within the next 24 hours or so whether I'm getting the place I want in Fairmount/Francisville or not, woohoo. It's like a 90% chance right now anyway, but still.

Ralemont

not me
Platt Bridge is so backed up coming back into Philly after work these days. :( Wonder what's causing the surge in the past 1/2 year or so.

The Llama

Whats the best neighborhood for a 1 bedroom?

Curious. A lot of the housing in philly is rowhomes.
Totally depends on your budget. You can find crappy stuff in center city starting at $1k a month. University city has lots of supply and is a little cheaper but is obviously pretty collegey. Besides those two, no neighborhood would really stand out to me.

Top Bottom