• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Deku Tree

So the FIOS tech hooked up the wrong phone jack in my house. I have a wired house and all of the phone wires are in the garage right next to the fios box.

It is just a matter of figuring out which is the correct wires and plugging it into the FIOS connector...

... FIOS says a technical costs $150 to return to my house, and I can discuss whether or not I should pay the charges later with customer support... and possibly they would wave them... but that sounds like a head ache.

Is there some online guide somewhere that would help me figure out which wires to try plugging into the FIOS box? Seems like it's not that complicated if I had a guide.

So the FIOS tech hooked up the wrong phone jack in my house. I have a wired house and all of the phone wires are in the garage right next to the fios box.

It is just a matter of figuring out which is the correct wires and plugging it into the FIOS connector...

... FIOS says a technical costs $150 to return to my house, and I can discuss whether or not I should pay the charges later with customer support... and possibly they would wave them... but that sounds like a head ache.

Is there some online guide somewhere that would help me figure out which wires to try plugging into the FIOS box? Seems like it's not that complicated if I had a guide.
Charging you to fix a mistake their guy made? I'd raise hell, sounds like something Comcast would pull

Deku Tree

Charging you to fix a mistake their guy made? I'd raise hell, sounds like something Comcast would pull

Well they said the installer is only responsible for checking one jack according to their policy and I mistakenly told him to check the kitchen jack which works and then when my wife got home she was dead set against putting a phone in the kitchen jack. I assumed the other jacks would just work but I don't think he set them up.

I'm not defending Verizon though.

Verizon invited me to have the technican come out and argue with them about the charges later. Didn't sound like something that I wanted to do so I canceled the appointment.

Deku Tree

Yeah so I've been messing around with the phone wires in my garage with no success. Four different cat 5e wires with eight different wires inside each one... Seems simple but tedious and it's Hard to find a good internet guide on how it works. Think I might give up and return the home phone that I bought.

Place I'm looking at is basically already done, so sadly couldn't do anything like that. Could obviously just do it myself (or have someone from my dads work help me, they do wiring as part of their jobs), but it's still unfortunate if I decide to go the FIOS route. Just makes it more likely I'll end up back with Comcast tbh haha.

I just realized that my house is wired with Cat 5e phone wire into a phone jack in just about every room. Cat 5e has eight wires in it. Two of them are needed for a phone line, so there are six free. And you can use four of them for an Ethernet hook up. So with a bit of hooking up wires and buying a new plate with an Ethernet plug on it to replace the phone plate in one room I could in theory run Ethernet through the wall to many different rooms in my house...

Probably the same is true in your new place if they ran the phone wires with Cat 5 or better, which they should have...

I haven't been very happy with FIOS out here in the suburbs, especially when using On Demand, lots of stuttering, in can be unwatchable. We're going to switch back to Comcast soon.

FIOS TV been working OK for me. No studdering here.

The Llama

Yeah so I've been messing around with the phone wires in my garage with no success. Four different cat 5e wires with eight different wires inside each one... Seems simple but tedious and it's Hard to find a good internet guide on how it works. Think I might give up and return the home phone that I bought.

I just realized that my house is wired with Cat 5e phone wire into a phone jack in just about every room. Cat 5e has eight wires in it. Two of them are needed for a phone line, so there are six free. And you can use four of them for an Ethernet hook up. So with a bit of hooking up wires and buying a new plate with an Ethernet plug on it to replace the phone plate in one room I could in theory run Ethernet through the wall to many different rooms in my house...

Probably the same is true in your new place if they ran the phone wires with Cat 5 or better, which they should have...

FIOS TV been working OK for me. No studdering here.

Hm, that's very interesting. I'll have to check when I go back. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Since Verizon is jacking up the price of my grandfathered unlimited data plan, I've been looking around for viable alternatives and found a decent AT&T plan that fits the bill. Can anyone vouch for their cell service in the Center City area? I'm sure coverage is fine but are there issues inside buildings and such?

On a side note, after a week of living in Philly, I am now a full Wawa convert. Wawa is fucking great! The one on Broad and Walnut is an impressive operation in the morning.

Deku Tree

Since Verizon is jacking up the price of my grandfathered unlimited data plan, I've been looking around for viable alternatives and found a decent AT&T plan that fits the bill. Can anyone vouch for their cell service in the Center City area? I'm sure coverage is fine but are there issues inside buildings and such?

On a side note, after a week of living in Philly, I am now a full Wawa convert. Wawa is fucking great! The one on Broad and Walnut is an impressive operation in the morning.

AT&T has OK service in Center City. I never notice bad service walking around. In the back of my house in south philly I used to get poor service and I would walk to the front of my house to get better service when necessary. But AT&T recently enabled WIFI calling on my iPhone and since then I have good service everywhere.

vypek

FiOS today has suddenly began giving me problems. I'm not sure why but for the past few hours the connection has been going off and on and I had to reset the router a few times. Usually the service is rock solid for me. Anyone with similar issues in the area?

Deku Tree

FiOS today has suddenly began giving me problems. I'm not sure why but for the past few hours the connection has been going off and on and I had to reset the router a few times. Usually the service is rock solid for me. Anyone with similar issues in the area?

No mine is working fine here in South Philly.

I use T-Mobile in the city, it's dirt cheap, and I get perfect service everywhere I've been in the city. It's more problematic if you move out into some of the further suburbs.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I get no employee discount with T-Mobile. I should still do that math though to see which comes out cheaper with our usage.

On a side note, in contrast to many people's experience, I've had outstanding service from Comcast. Their pricing scheme is still shady (they want to still charge me for HD "service" with the cable card rental, negating the benefit of going this route) but with everything else, they were straight forward and very accommodating. Go figure.

MJPIA

While on the subject of phones I'm always seeing T-Mobile ads on the 309 boasting of 98% coverage in Philly but how is it in the surrounding area?
More specifically coverage in lower bucks/Montgomery county and Chester county/Coatesville and in between those two covering the commute.
Being in aviation if my boss ever has a in-flight emergency and needs help we cannot afford to deal with dead zones and dropped calls.
Coverage down in Manassas Virginia is nice but not as important.
Att is reliable but damn expensive.

The Llama

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I get no employee discount with T-Mobile. I should still do that math though to see which comes out cheaper with our usage.

On a side note, in contrast to many people's experience, I've had outstanding service from Comcast. Their pricing scheme is still shady (they want to still charge me for HD "service" with the cable card rental, negating the benefit of going this route) but with everything else, they were straight forward and very accommodating. Go figure.
Yeah, I hate Comcast for their pricing and policies but I've never had any issues with their service or customer support.

Gamble

While on the subject of phones I'm always seeing T-Mobile ads on the 309 boasting of 98% coverage in Philly but how is it in the surrounding area?
More specifically coverage in lower bucks/Montgomery county and Chester county/Coatesville and in between those two covering the commute.
Being in aviation if my boss ever has a in-flight emergency and needs help we cannot afford to deal with dead zones and dropped calls.
Coverage down in Manassas Virginia is nice but not as important.
Att is reliable but damn expensive.

I've had T-Mobile for the last 2 years and I frequent those areas pretty regularly and haven't had any issue with phone signal....maybe a random dead spot for a few seconds going through some back road once in a blue moon but T-Mobile has really come a long way through the years in terms of signal quality.

MJPIA

I've had T-Mobile for the last 2 years and I frequent those areas pretty regularly and haven't had any issue with phone signal....maybe a random dead spot for a few seconds going through some back road once in a blue moon but T-Mobile has really come a long way through the years in terms of signal quality.
Thanks for the info.
I'll wait for the spectrum auction the FCC is having in a couple months to see what happens and go from there.

I can't believe Wolf failed so hard at the budget.

Instead of getting a gas extraction tax we're getting a sales tax increase. Sales tax in Philadelphia would be 9.25%, which is like one of the highest in the country. And we're not getting nearly as much for the schools as needed. Is there even going to be property tax relief?

The goddamn state legislature is a joke. We need a progressive taxation system and higher income taxes on high earners. Essentially I want a tax increase on myself, but instead we are getting a garbage extremely regressive tax plan. Great fucking job.

Deku Tree

Instead of getting a gas extraction tax we're getting a sales tax increase. Sales tax in Philadelphia would be 9.25%, which is like one of the highest in the country. And we're not getting nearly as much for the schools as needed. Is there even going to be property tax relief?

The goddamn state legislature is a joke. We need a progressive taxation system and higher income taxes on high earners. Essentially I want a tax increase on myself, but instead we are getting a garbage extremely regressive tax plan. Great fucking job.

People in philly will just spend more time shopping in Cherry Hill lol.

What a smart sales taxation plan!

Admodieus

The state legislature, and the majority of Pennsylvania, do not care about Philadelphia. The sooner you realize we are on our own, the sooner you can stop being disappointed.

The state legislature, and the majority of Pennsylvania, do not care about Philadelphia. The sooner you realize we are on our own, the sooner you can stop being disappointed.
Absolutely true, most of the State actively dislikes the place, they just see it as a money pit and unfortunately there is some truth to it, the City has been terribly managed for decades

Deku Tree

Absolutely true, most of the State actively dislikes the place, they just see it as a money pit and unfortunately there is some truth to it, the City has been terribly managed for decades

There is a problem with one party rule, and the city is poorly managed in a lot of ways (and so is Harrisburg lol), but it is a republican propaganda all over the USA that democratic controlled urban areas are wasteful "money pits" when the facts are that most state and federal taxation ends up being a net transfer taking from urban areas and sending extra money to rural republican areas. It happens because of the way we regionally distribute govt representation.

The Llama

On my phone so can't really search for or cite this but I definitely remember reading that the Philly area contributes about 40% of the state's tax revenues but only gets back about 35%. So we do get hurt.

The Llama

So looks like Kenney's going to (attempt to) lay off some non-civil service employees. They're sending out a letter tonight/tomorrow to people basically asking them to re-apply for their jobs. Apparently at the last second they decided not to send it to law department people, so at least I'm good. But jeez, not a great first impression. I was freaking out for a bit.

So looks like Kenney's going to (attempt to) lay off some non-civil service employees. They're sending out a letter tonight/tomorrow to people basically asking them to re-apply for their jobs. Apparently at the last second they decided not to send it to law department people, so at least I'm good. But jeez, not a great first impression. I was freaking out for a bit.

Can't blame Kenney, he's not even in office yet.

Agreed that more diverse revenue sources would be preferable, but the PA Senate doubled down on "no new revenue" and this is all that's getting through.

Property tax reduction is happening, which is interesting because it was out of the budget discussion for months.

Progressive taxation is very difficult to implement because the state constitution requires all earners to be taxed equally. Wolf was talking about a system of exemptions to get around this one, but I'm hearing that his team wasn't confident it would hold up.

That being said the 9.25% isn't all that high since PA has broad exemptions on essentials like clothes and food and medical care, so the poor aren't really getting hit by the increase. For everything else there's online ordering or Delaware.

Philly needs increased funding (which it's getting) but also needs a new funding formula and the end of the SRC and just about all of the charters. Still waiting on those last 3.

I know, what in the flying fuck. And regular state tax everywhere else is going up to 7.25%, higher than Jersey??? Theyre saying there will be property tax relief but a spike for rental property owners, like myself. Oh man I'm pissed.

It was a letter from his transition team, signed by him. I'll PM you a copy when I get home from work, if you're curious. Made a really poor first impression on a lot of people here and frankly freaked us all out that we might be fired.

Wow, really? That is weird. I wonder if this is a usual thing upon Mayoral transitions.

Deku Tree

Agreed that more diverse revenue sources would be preferable, but the PA Senate doubled down on "no new revenue" and this is all that's getting through.

Property tax reduction is happening, which is interesting because it was out of the budget discussion for months.

Progressive taxation is very difficult to implement because the state constitution requires all earners to be taxed equally. Wolf was talking about a system of exemptions to get around this one, but I'm hearing that his team wasn't confident it would hold up.

That being said the 9.25% isn't all that high since PA has broad exemptions on essentials like clothes and food and medical care, so the poor aren't really getting hit by the increase. For everything else there's online ordering or Delaware.

Philly needs increased funding (which it's getting) but also needs a new funding formula and the end of the SRC and just about all of the charters. Still waiting on those last 3.

lol just ordered my new 4K TV from Newegg... no tax baby! Gotta be sure the place you are ordering from has no physical presence in PA and then your good.

lol just ordered my new 4K TV from Newegg... no tax baby! Gotta be sure the place you are ordering from has no physical presence in PA and then your good.

That's all well and good for us with means and good credit and whatnot, but there are a lot of poorer people who get hit by the sales tax because they can't drive across state lines or get a credit card to order stuff online.

esms

That's all well and good for us with means and good credit and whatnot, but there are a lot of poorer people who get hit by the sales tax because they can't drive across state lines or get a credit card to order stuff online.

The deep poverty rate will be a stain on this city's record for the foreseeable future.

In the unlikely event your credit is SO BAD you can't get a checking account with a debit card and have never heard of secured credit cards, you can order things online with prepaid debit cards just fine. The things are everywhere. You can pick an American express card up at wawa or CVS for 3 dollars or less.

There is literally zero barrier to online ordering in 2015.

Edit: and again, food, clothing, dry cleaning, utilities, drugs, water, newspapers, cable subscriptions and most medical services are tax free. The poor will only be taxed on luxury goods and prepared food.

The only area you will get hit is with things like new car purchases which must be registered to your address for tax purposes. But the poor with horrible credit generally aren't buying new cars, they're riding SEPTA.

The Llama

As someone who will likely be without a car soon, I kind of agree, but tbh I don't know of anyone who deliberately shops in NJ because it's cheaper. I have friends who grew up in Delco who would drive to Delaware to shop but that's it. The people I know who shop in jersey just do it because they love Wegman's and it's a lot easier to get to cherry Hill mall than to get to KOP.

As someone who will likely be without a car soon, I kind of agree, but tbh I don't know of anyone who deliberately shops in NJ because it's cheaper. I have friends who grew up in Delco who would drive to Delaware to shop but that's it. The people I know who shop in jersey just do it because they love Wegman's and it's a lot easier to get to cherry Hill mall than to get to KOP.

My house is ten miles from Delaware. Literally no one I talk to locally bothers driving there to shop, because it's barely worth the time or gas to do so. A $200 purchase will save you a whopping 12 dollars...maybe two beers at the bar.

The one time I decided it was worth the trip was when I was looking for engagement rings in the 4k range or so.

I ended up buying it at Steven Singer on Jewelers row, because it turned out the Philly stores were flat out cheaper! Jewelers row was perfectly aware it was competing with Delaware and priced it's merchandise accordingly.

Deku Tree

My house is ten miles from Delaware. Literally no one I talk to locally bothers driving there to shop, because it's barely worth the time or gas to do so. A $200 purchase will save you a whopping 12 dollars...maybe two beers at the bar.

The one time I decided it was worth the trip was when I was looking for engagement rings in the 4k range or so.

I ended up buying it at Steven Singer on Jewelers row, because it turned out the Philly stores were flat out cheaper! Jewelers row was perfectly aware it was competing with Delaware and priced it's merchandise accordingly.

I got my wife's ring from BlueNile.com. Couldn't find a store that had a similar size, cut, and quality ring for anywhere in the same pricing zip code. Plus no tax. Wife loves it.

I got my wife's ring from BlueNile.com. Couldn't find a store that had a similar size, cut, and quality ring for anywhere in the same pricing zip code. Plus no tax. Wife loves it.

I actually went to blue nile as well. Actually seeing the grades, color, etc of the diamond in person made a huge difference. Before going to the store I was convinced I needed a much more expensive diamond than I actually did.

The Llama

Buffalo Trace Antique Collection Lottery Sign Up

I am going to regret posting this here because it decreases my odds. But the lottery for these is up, so if you are a PA resident and love bourbon/rye whiskey of extremely high quality you should sign up. If you win you owe me some drinks.

I have no idea why any of that is special and I had no idea they even did this... but I just signed up. So thanks, I guess haha.

MJPIA

Mostly okay with the budget deal that is getting hammered out between the two parties although I just learned state income tax would go from 3.07 percent to 4.34 percent and I'm uncertain what to think of that part.
Thoughts?

Top Bottom