• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Mostly okay with the budget deal that is getting hammered out between the two parties although I just learned state income tax would go from 3.07 percent to 4.34 percent and I'm uncertain what to think of that part.
Thoughts?
No extraction tax makes it a terrible deal imo

MJPIA

No extraction tax makes it a terrible deal imo
That's one of the main things I'm disappointed about.
Like even if you can't get a extraction tax that's around what the other larger fracking states levy start small and see what happens.
Although judging from some articles I've read it sounds like while there are some things the Republicans were willing to compromise on some of them were dead set against any extraction taxes.
I haven't really followed local politics until recently, with 2016 being a presidential election year is there much of a chance of Democrats gaining more state seats?
Even if it's not enough to gain the majority at least narrow the divide enough that they might be able to find a couple across the aisle willing to strike a deal to get the votes needed.

This is probably going to sound weird but at the same time even if it's taking far longer than it should I feel glad that both sides are butting heads, arguing and pounding out a compromise that that while neither side is happy about is IMO better than the status quo.
Far better than both sides unwilling to budge and having nothing happen at all.

And well it's far better than anything we'd get from Corbett.

Aurizen

gcubed

I think we should start a petition to the office of Jim Kenny to bring Google Fiber to promote competition and give people more choices than comcast's iron grip on Philly and outside areas.If we can to this together and contact the right people with the people want it could get the word out there and start a movement to get people conscious of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1xJAVZxXg

Philly proper I have a hard time seeing going that way at all. Most of the burbs have Fios but no one left Comcast and Verizon basically ditched it.

All the houses I've been looking at in the burbs have Fios available (mostly Media)

Philly proper I have a hard time seeing going that way at all. Most of the burbs have Fios but no one left Comcast and Verizon basically ditched it.

All the houses I've been looking at in the burbs have Fios available (mostly Media)

I'm not sure that's it. Everyone hates comcast around here.

Verizon just refuses to build out Fios anywhere that isn't high income and profitable. This is why it's easy to get in media and nether providence, and not in ridley/glenolden/prospect park. I can tell who's using Fios because no one changes the default router names and they all have the same nonsense network wifi handles.

They did the same shit in philly. Built it where the high earners were, then said fuck it and left the buildout to rot.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140424/06185027014/verizon-knows-youre-sucker-takes-taxpayer-subsidies-broadband-doesnt-deliver-lobbies-to-drop-requirements.shtml

Aurizen

We have fios in my area in west philly, I'm glad I've been waiting 10 years for this haha.

The Llama

I'm not sure that's it. Everyone hates comcast around here.

Verizon just refuses to build out Fios anywhere that isn't high income and profitable. This is why it's easy to get in media and nether providence, and not in ridley/glenolden/prospect park. I can tell who's using Fios because no one changes the default router names and they all have the same nonsense network wifi handles.

They did the same shit in philly. Built it where the high earners were, then said fuck it and left the buildout to rot.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140424/06185027014/verizon-knows-youre-sucker-takes-taxpayer-subsidies-broadband-doesnt-deliver-lobbies-to-drop-requirements.shtml

I think they did pretty much the same thing in NYC, though it was more that they built it where it was easy to build rather than anywhere difficult.

gcubed

The point was, where they feel they were going to get any inroads they were getting very little (I worked at Comcast back then... their conversion rates were in the single digits).

Honestly the best thing it does is give people who are smart a way to save a good amount of money on their bills (and they get faster service)... but that doesn't convince Verizon to keep going.

I don't know how good the Google fiber conversion rates are, but they also are usually getting all of the build out rights for free as a sweetener to come to that city. You honestly think Philly would do that?

Edit... "Narrowly" voting down an income tax increase from 3.07 to 4.95 and sales tax increase of 1% with no shale tax? What the fuck did you guys do to the state legislature since I left?

StevieWhite

My folks (who are in their late 60s) live in Media (my hometown) and switched to FIOS about 3 years back. They have been generally unhappy about it. They say the Internet is spotty. Take it for what it is worth.

Deku Tree

As far as I heard Philly required Verizon to equip the whole city for FIOS if they wanted in... They gave them an all or nothing offer and Verizion took everything.

I've had FIOS 50/50 in south philly for a few weeks now and the Internet is fantastic. No drops. Very consistent speeds.

I work from home sometimes and Comcast Internet would go out regularly for short periods who knows why... You just had to wait for it to come back. Calling them didn't help. And very inconsistent speeds. Really fast when you didn't need it, and slow during high traffic times. Etc.

Although if you watch a lot of TV the Comcast X1 box is much better than the FIOS cable box or any other box I have seen.

But the FIOS cable mobile app can do basically everything to operate your cable and manage your DVR and set up recordings etc, and it's a lot better than anything Comcast has on mobile.

The point was, where they feel they were going to get any inroads they were getting very little (I worked at Comcast back then... their conversion rates were in the single digits).

Honestly the best thing it does is give people who are smart a way to save a good amount of money on their bills (and they get faster service)... but that doesn't convince Verizon to keep going.

I don't know how good the Google fiber conversion rates are, but they also are usually getting all of the build out rights for free as a sweetener to come to that city. You honestly think Philly would do that?

Edit... "Narrowly" voting down an income tax increase from 3.07 to 4.95 and sales tax increase of 1% with no shale tax? What the fuck did you guys do to the state legislature since I left?

Did you read the rest of that bill? It was designed to eliminate property tax statewide and had a ton of holes.

Business would have gotten off Scott free from property tax with residents making up the difference in higher PIT and sales taxes. Half the republicans voted that one down and it never would have made it through the house or past a veto.

gcubed

Did you read the rest of that bill? It was designed to eliminate property tax statewide and had a ton of holes.

Business would have gotten off Scott free from property tax with residents making up the difference in higher PIT and sales taxes. Half the republicans voted that one down and it never would have made it through the house or past a veto.

It was terrible and an embarrassment that it even came that close to passing a chamber of the legislature.

MJPIA

I feel dumb for supporting the failed bill now.

Sounds like a new one is in the works although details are slim at this point.

Hi guys,

I'm going to a 76ers game for the first time (as an adult) and am trying to avoid the $15 parking. Is there anywhere else to park nearby or do I basically just have to bite the bullet?

Deku Tree

Hi guys,

I'm going to a 76ers game for the first time (as an adult) and am trying to avoid the $15 parking. Is there anywhere else to park nearby or do I basically just have to bite the bullet?

It's very possible to park on the residential streets several blocks north of the stadium. A few minutes walk. People just park there. I've done it numerous times going to see the Phillies.

Or take public transportation.

Hi guys,

Park anywhere near the Broad Street Line and just take it there.

Alternatively, pay the 15$ parking because tickets are like 2 dollars :p

Deku Tree

Just called Verizon, they have no plans on expanding (proper) FiOS to University city. Am sad.

First of all I have no idea who you are able to get a hold of at Verizon who would really know anything about that... The CSR people that I usually get don't reliably have any knowledge about that kind of info usually. And you usually get a national person on the phone who is from out of state.

Second They have no plans on making plans to expand FIOS further anywhere. They are now going through a grow their customer base in markets where they already exist phase.

StevieWhite

CVUAyw3U8AA_FGq.jpg

The squirrels in this town are getting out of hand.

The squirrels in this town are getting out of hand.

When I got to live in Philly we had a black squirrel outside of our apartment. It is funny that the squirrel is one of the things I miss most. You totally take little stuff like that for granted, but being trapped in Vegas it is so jarring since you never really see any wild life out here. Everything is so barren and desolate.

Pbae

These squirrels don't give a single fuck. Especially the ones near college campuses.

When I was in Uni, I had a Philly squirrel climb my back, sit on my shoulder, and wait for me to feed it some of the pizza I was having.

Scared the shit out me b/c I felt the tail brush my cheek and thought it was a possum or rat.

My dog will be forever depressed that she can't climb up trees to chase squirrels in Fairmount Park.

My dog goes ape shit when I walk her in spring and the squirrels are all over. Sometimes I want to let her go and see if she can get one just because I know she would be so satisfied and happy if she did.

vypek

When I got to live in Philly we had a black squirrel outside of our apartment. It is funny that the squirrel is one of the things I miss most. You totally take little stuff like that for granted, but being trapped in Vegas it is so jarring since you never really see any wild life out here. Everything is so barren and desolate.

We have black squirrels in my neighborhood outside Philly. I thought it was albino/mutation of a squirrel and it was just one but it turns out there are a good number of them in my neighborhood. I kind of like them but I don't have too many of them here so they are tolerable. I didn't know until recently that Philly is one of the few areas that has a good number of them

These squirrels don't give a single fuck. Especially the ones near college campuses.

When I was in Uni, I had a Philly squirrel climb my back, sit on my shoulder, and wait for me to feed it some of the pizza I was having.

Scared the shit out me b/c I felt the tail brush my cheek and thought it was a possum or rat.

Lol, I would definitely freak out too.

Rainy

Banned
Well considering it's my first year out here, is it usually colder by this point in the year? I've heard that this is a little bit more milder than usual?

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Well considering it's my first year out here, is it usually colder by this point in the year? I've heard that this is a little bit more milder than usual?
Usually we'd maybe have snow now, or at least weather in the 20-30s. It's been an oddly warm winter.

esms

I remember last year being the same way. Didn't get genuinely cold until January.

Rainy

Banned

vypek

PhillyGAF, I need some help. I'm not a tourist-y kind of person and never explored too much of the city I've been living to for years and years but I have a friend visiting and really wants to do the whole tourist thing near the end of the year.

I would appreciate any ideas you all have for stuff to do. All ideas are welcome since I will probably try to fit in as many as possible. My friend will be staying in the center city area and would prefer to do as much tourist stuff there as possible.

Top Bottom