• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

StevieWhite

Go earlier, if possible. It gets crowded. As to what it will be like, it's a total crap shoot every time. Depends on what you are looking for.

PhillyGAF, I need some help. I'm not a tourist-y kind of person and never explored too much of the city I've been living to for years and years but I have a friend visiting and really wants to do the whole tourist thing near the end of the year.

I would appreciate any ideas you all have for stuff to do. All ideas are welcome since I will probably try to fit in as many as possible. My friend will be staying in the center city area and would prefer to do as much tourist stuff there as possible.

Art: The museums obviously. PMA and Barnes Foundation. But I would also stress going to the Mutter Museum (not art, but medical oddities). Franklin Institute is fun but kid oriented.

Nature: Not a great time of year for this. You can kayak on the Schuylkill. Lots of good hiking trails such as the Wissahickon trail in Fairmount Park.

Views: Even if you don't go to the museum, the view from the steps is iconic. You can do the City Hall observation deck on weekdays, but there is also the new One Liberty observation deck (too expensive to me) or you can get dinner/drinks at R2L.

History: Obviously you have a ton with Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Franklin/Betsy Ross houses. There's also the constitution center. If you're going to be out in that area you should make a day of it and hit up all of that stuff, maybe hit up the shops in old city, get dinner at Zahav, then go to Winterfest for some ice skating by the waterfront or beers around a camp fire. You can also make the trip out to Valley Forge and see some nice stuff.

Food: East Passyunk, Midtown Village, and the Rittenhouse area all have a ton of great places to eat. If you want I can give specific recommendations if you give me a price range and style of cuisine you'd like. You are required by law (aka we'll beat the crap out of you if you don't) to take them to Reading Terminal Market and get them so stuffed on amazing food that they leave in pain.

Drinks: Depends what they like. Beer: Monk's, Standard Tap, Alla Spina, McGillin's, Kraftwork, Eulogy, Khyber. Wine: Tria, Cooperage, Osteria. Not a big wine guy, so I can't tell you much there. Cocktails: Franklin Mortgage, Hop Sing Laundromat, Fiume, or A-bar.

Music: Johnny Brenda's for local, South for Jazz, the Dolphin for electronic. You can go to free classical music recitals at the Curtis Insitute. Don't know the scene super well for this.

There's a lot to do, that's just some off the cuff stuff.

I had Fogo de Chao over the weekend to celebrate mine and a friend's birthday. First time being there and it was different, but delicious. And expensive lol.

The Llama

Closed on my condo today! Except they gave me the wrong keys... So that's cool.

I had Fogo de Chao over the weekend to celebrate mine and a friend's birthday. First time being there and it was different, but delicious. And expensive lol.

Fogo is awesome. They used to do restaurant week, which made no sense because it was the exact same menu, just cheaper. They stopped because people caught on, I'm assuming...

Fogo is awesome. They used to do restaurant week, which made no sense because it was the exact same menu, just cheaper. They stopped because people caught on, I'm assuming...

Nah, Fogo's Restaurant Week menu had some stuff kept out of it. Chima Steakhouse near 19th St did the same thing. I believe they both still do it, though?

The Llama

Welcome to the neighborhood holmes! Let me know if you ever want to grab a beer. For your reference, if you aren't buying cases, this is the best beer store anywhere near you:

http://www.oldphillyalehouse.com/

Nice, pretty much on my walk home from work. I see myself stopping there many times after a long day... lol.

Nah, Fogo's Restaurant Week menu had some stuff kept out of it. Chima Steakhouse near 19th St did the same thing. I believe they both still do it, though?

From what I remember (this was like 2 years ago now), they advertised/suggested that it was a smaller menu, but I didn't actually notice any difference when I was there (it's not like anyone said "oh you can't have this because you're doing the restaurant week menu"). You might be right though, I don't remember that well. I know there was a semi-recent restaurant week where they didn't participate, but maybe it was just that once. If they still do it, it's definitely the time to go IMO.

From what I remember (this was like 2 years ago now), they advertised/suggested that it was a smaller menu, but I didn't actually notice any difference when I was there (it's not like anyone said "oh you can't have this because you're doing the restaurant week menu"). You might be right though, I don't remember that well. I know there was a semi-recent restaurant week where they didn't participate, but maybe it was just that once. If they still do it, it's definitely the time to go IMO.

They basically kept the real premium cuts out for everyone, because nobody was going to go there during Restaurant Week and not do that deal. Maybe Fogo stopped, but I know Chima is still doing it. And oh man I gotta go again because it was delicious

I am debating seeing Book of Mormon while it's at the Forrest Theatre. Not one for musicals, but Trey Parker and Matt Stone are too funny to pass up seeing a musical by them. It's only in town until the 27th.

The Llama

Hey TheLlama, you move in yet?
Not yet! Probably starting this weekend (and by probably I mean I'm getting the washer and dryer delivered so I'll probably sit around most of the day assembling ikea stuff, etc.) but I probably won't be there full time until after Christmas. I don't even have a bed yet haha.

ACE 1991

Art: The museums obviously. PMA and Barnes Foundation. But I would also stress going to the Mutter Museum (not art, but medical oddities). Franklin Institute is fun but kid oriented.

Nature: Not a great time of year for this. You can kayak on the Schuylkill. Lots of good hiking trails such as the Wissahickon trail in Fairmount Park.

Views: Even if you don't go to the museum, the view from the steps is iconic. You can do the City Hall observation deck on weekdays, but there is also the new One Liberty observation deck (too expensive to me) or you can get dinner/drinks at R2L.

History: Obviously you have a ton with Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Franklin/Betsy Ross houses. There's also the constitution center. If you're going to be out in that area you should make a day of it and hit up all of that stuff, maybe hit up the shops in old city, get dinner at Zahav, then go to Winterfest for some ice skating by the waterfront or beers around a camp fire. You can also make the trip out to Valley Forge and see some nice stuff.

Food: East Passyunk, Midtown Village, and the Rittenhouse area all have a ton of great places to eat. If you want I can give specific recommendations if you give me a price range and style of cuisine you'd like. You are required by law (aka we'll beat the crap out of you if you don't) to take them to Reading Terminal Market and get them so stuffed on amazing food that they leave in pain.

Drinks: Depends what they like. Beer: Monk's, Standard Tap, Alla Spina, McGillin's, Kraftwork, Eulogy, Khyber. Wine: Tria, Cooperage, Osteria. Not a big wine guy, so I can't tell you much there. Cocktails: Franklin Mortgage, Hop Sing Laundromat, Fiume, or A-bar.

Music: Johnny Brenda's for local, South for Jazz, the Dolphin for electronic. You can go to free classical music recitals at the Curtis Insitute. Don't know the scene super well for this.

There's a lot to do, that's just some off the cuff stuff.

Union Transfer is my favorite venue in Philly, it's not even close.

Union Transfer is my favorite venue in Philly, it's not even close.

I've only been to like one concert in the last four years. I was more thinking more just small time places than full on concert halls with that list though. I've been hearing good things about the Fillmore lately.

Not yet! Probably starting this weekend (and by probably I mean I'm getting the washer and dryer delivered so I'll probably sit around most of the day assembling ikea stuff, etc.) but I probably won't be there full time until after Christmas. I don't even have a bed yet haha.

Nice. We'll have to do a Francisvillain meet up some time next year.

Can't decide what to do for dinner tonight. We did Bud & Marilyn's two weeks ago, South last week, and we're going to Zama tomorrow. I'm bacheloring it up tonight as my wife is going to some party.

royalan

Hey Phellow Philadelphians,

I'm fighting Winter depression here, and I'm coming to the realization that leaving the house for maybe for something other than work might help with that. Anybody know of any websites that track local events happening in or around the city? I think I remember one being posted in this thread a while back, but I can't find it. :(

I'm fighting Winter depression here, and I'm coming to the realization that leaving the house for maybe for something other than work might help with that. Anybody know of any websites that track local events happening in or around the city? I think I remember one being posted in this thread a while back, but I can't find it. :(

Behold, www.uwishunu.com

Here's a good place to start
http://www.uwishunu.com/

It's 70 degrees out, get outside!

esms

Went to Christmas Village down at Love Park today. It was pretty sweet. Picked up some dog treats and a coffee mug.

The juxtaposition of all the people buying things inside the Village and all the homeless people camping right outside was pretty depressing, though.

Went to Christmas Village down at Love Park today. It was pretty sweet. Picked up some dog treats and a coffee mug.

The juxtaposition of all the people buying things inside the Village and all the homeless people camping right outside was pretty depressing, though.

Yeah, it's a shame. But at least we aren't in a code blue.

I wasted away my afternoon gaming, but headed out for a night on the town now. Time to pickle my liver for the second night in a row.

MJPIA

Stopped by king of Prussia mall on the way home from work.
Always forget how big that place is.
There's a Nintendo event that's running until the 20th by jcpenny.
When I walked by they were doing what looked like a splatoon tournament.

Neat store called mind games on the lower level, Tesla showroom and a bare chassis there was pretty cool to look at (for me at least), Microsoft store was fun to browse and they've got this neat computer that's slightly bigger than a phone called kangaroo that's currently on sale for $100.
Even bigger apple store for you apple lovers with all their products plus drones, speakers and home automation stuff.

Upstairs there's this small store called hot topic which has a bunch of star wars, doctor who, comic and anime merchandise and their prices are very reasonable plus currently they've got a buy one get one 50% off sale on most everything in the store.
The bogo 50 off also applied to two attack on titan pint glasses that were already 50% off on clearance bringing them down to $3.25 each which made me happy.

It was pricy but there was tea shop that had at least a hundred different types of tea which would probably make good gifts for tea drinkers out there.

I'm glad they're open so late cause it takes forever to wander around.

If you need to get someone a gift but can't think of anything it might be worth wandering around there for a couple hours and see if you stumble across anything.

I saw this. The website is pretty useless, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Yeah, the guy said he's going to update the website. I'm not really into the competitive gaming scene much, I just watch the international every year. That said, if they have good programming it could be worth looking out for.

The Llama

SEPTA Key has to be coming soon. Monday morning at both Fern Rock and City Hall I saw them installing the actual credit card readers and braille signs to the machines. And yesterday it looked like they were running lots of new wiring at City Hall, presumably to hook everything up properly.

ACE 1991

Yeah, the guy said he's going to update the website. I'm not really into the competitive gaming scene much, I just watch the international every year. That said, if they have good programming it could be worth looking out for.

I went to the International this year for the final day since I happened to be in Seattle visiting a friend. It was incredible.

Loxley

cCKdGSb.png

esms

Any of you guys down town for what I hear is a totally awesome Uber protest?

The horns were real annoying during my department's holiday potluck.

It's like they're trying to make me never take a taxi again. Didn't you prefer them to uber? I recall something along those lines earlier in the thread.

The horns were real annoying during my department's holiday potluck.

It's like they're trying to make me never take a taxi again. Didn't you prefer them to uber? I recall something along those lines earlier in the thread.

Yup, still prefer taxi to uber. If you use the 215GETACAB app they are at your door faster, and cost equal or less. 215GETACAB even has almost entirely nice cars. They know their way around the city better and get you to destinations faster in my experience. The only complaint I have is entering addresses on the app is a little clunky, and you can't pay through the app, but have to use the card reader/cash in the car. I think it's a fine trade off for a guarantee of someone who actually gets out of the car to help you with luggage, doesn't have a shit car, and isn't running drug deals between uber calls. Not to mention they can't turn you down once you're in the cab and there is no surge pricing.

Edit:

Oh yeah, and traffic was a shit show this past weekend because there were like 2000 uberX drivers in the city, stopping midblock letting people out, or circling forever waiting for their next ride. It was insanity. I was in Rittenhouse from like 6pm to like midnight and it was swarmed with them. It was busier than rush hour on a weekday. It took my taxi 20 mins to get from my house to Rittenhouse, which should take 10 minutes at absolute max.

Top Bottom