• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

The Llama

Protest is over now, anyway. I was out around 1230 for lunch and traffic was a disaster. Feel like it has been for various reasons this entire week though.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
SEPTA Key has to be coming soon. Monday morning at both Fern Rock and City Hall I saw them installing the actual credit card readers and braille signs to the machines. And yesterday it looked like they were running lots of new wiring at City Hall, presumably to hook everything up properly.

I just wish they would hurry up so I know how much money I'll have to blow to get to work.

The Llama

Philadelphia effectively ends chronic street homelessness for military veterans

Pretty awesome. As far as I understand from what I have heard from Project HOME, the city is within reach of ending chronic street homelessness in Philadelphia entirely. I think there are less than 600 unsheltered homeless in the entire city at this point.

I doubt they'll be so thoughtful, but before starting the Love Park renovations, I hope the city/etc. try to get all the people who stay there into shelters. I don't mean this in a "ew, get the homeless out of Love Park" way but more as a practical matter, since it'll be torn up for a while.

vypek

Art: The museums obviously. PMA and Barnes Foundation. But I would also stress going to the Mutter Museum (not art, but medical oddities). Franklin Institute is fun but kid oriented.

Nature: Not a great time of year for this. You can kayak on the Schuylkill. Lots of good hiking trails such as the Wissahickon trail in Fairmount Park.

Views: Even if you don't go to the museum, the view from the steps is iconic. You can do the City Hall observation deck on weekdays, but there is also the new One Liberty observation deck (too expensive to me) or you can get dinner/drinks at R2L.

History: Obviously you have a ton with Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Franklin/Betsy Ross houses. There's also the constitution center. If you're going to be out in that area you should make a day of it and hit up all of that stuff, maybe hit up the shops in old city, get dinner at Zahav, then go to Winterfest for some ice skating by the waterfront or beers around a camp fire. You can also make the trip out to Valley Forge and see some nice stuff.

Food: East Passyunk, Midtown Village, and the Rittenhouse area all have a ton of great places to eat. If you want I can give specific recommendations if you give me a price range and style of cuisine you'd like. You are required by law (aka we'll beat the crap out of you if you don't) to take them to Reading Terminal Market and get them so stuffed on amazing food that they leave in pain.

Drinks: Depends what they like. Beer: Monk's, Standard Tap, Alla Spina, McGillin's, Kraftwork, Eulogy, Khyber. Wine: Tria, Cooperage, Osteria. Not a big wine guy, so I can't tell you much there. Cocktails: Franklin Mortgage, Hop Sing Laundromat, Fiume, or A-bar.

Music: Johnny Brenda's for local, South for Jazz, the Dolphin for electronic. You can go to free classical music recitals at the Curtis Insitute. Don't know the scene super well for this.

There's a lot to do, that's just some off the cuff stuff.

Sorry for the delay in response but this is an absolutely amazing post. Thanks! Will definitely go to Reading Terminal Market.

I doubt they'll be so thoughtful, but before starting the Love Park renovations, I hope the city/etc. try to get all the people who stay there into shelters. I don't mean this in a "ew, get the homeless out of Love Park" way but more as a practical matter, since it'll be torn up for a while.

They typically try to do so. They even tried to do so when they evicted them from the parkway for the pope stuff.

Sorry for the delay in response but this is an absolutely amazing post. Thanks! Will definitely go to Reading Terminal Market.

No problem. I was just thinking the other day there was something obvious I missed on this list but I can't remember it now.

Edit:

Apparently SEPTA Key is coming in April due to some more bug fixes. Still four months away then.

ericexpo

Philadelphia effectively ends chronic street homelessness for military veterans

Pretty awesome. As far as I understand from what I have heard from Project HOME, the city is within reach of ending chronic street homelessness in Philadelphia entirely. I think there are less than 600 unsheltered homeless in the entire city at this point.

This is actually really good. Worked on a few projects with catch (other vet organization) and they had trouble with funding. Remember a roaming house stayed empty for a long time.

andthebeatgoeson

Jim Kenney tells the Eagles, 'FOH'?

http://mobile.philly.com/business/?wss=/philly/business&id=362950041&betaPreview=redesign
The stadium "was publicly subsidized, that took a team worth $200 million to a team worth $2.5 billion. Part of that is public input, public tax dollars. They view it differently," the mayor-elect said. "It is a private entity and part of the NFL, and there is nothing I can do to force them to do the right thing. They have a very solid and stubborn attitude about the relationship between Temple and the Eagles."

I like it. Don't take their shit.

I think letting local colleges play for cheap is the least they can do.

vypek

Has any of PhillyGAF been to both Fogo De Chao and Chima? I'm curious about opinions on both. Currently have a reservation at Chima but considering a switch to Fogo De Chao based on some user reviews. I'm mostly curious about which has a better ambiance and isn't super packed with people in it. Might just make a reservation at Fogo and cancel one or the other later.

The Llama

Has any of PhillyGAF been to both Fogo De Chao and Chima? I'm curious about opinions on both. Currently have a reservation at Chima but considering a switch to Fogo De Chao based on some user reviews. I'm mostly curious about which has a better ambiance and isn't super packed with people in it. Might just make a reservation at Fogo and cancel one or the other later.
I've only been to fogo but my impression from others who have been to both is that fogo is a little better.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Never been to Fogo but I've been to Chima's twice and I'll say this: Hyperbole and all, Chima has the best food I've ever had.

For context local, comparable places I have also visited

The Chart House
R2L (best view ever)
Wolfgang at the Borgata
Roy's (closed now)
McCormick and Schmidt's
(I'm forgeting one or two places)
and a bunch of little joints in West Philly that are really awesome

Chima's is fantastic. Restaurant Week is great there.

Deku Tree

Places in Philly? I'm always looking for good eats around town.

Your really not limited at all by anything in terms of good food in Philly. It feels like there are an infinite amount of fantastic restaurants, both unique local and big national chains.

If you have a type of cuisine and a price range in mind, then it's much easier to make specific recommendations.

vypek

I've only been to fogo but my impression from others who have been to both is that fogo is a little better.

Never been to Fogo but I've been to Chima's twice and I'll say this: Hyperbole and all, Chima has the best food I've ever had.

For context local, comparable places I have also visited

The Chart House
R2L (best view ever)
Wolfgang at the Borgata
Roy's (closed now)
McCormick and Schmidt's
(I'm forgeting one or two places)
and a bunch of little joints in West Philly that are really awesome

Chima's is fantastic. Restaurant Week is great there.

Only been to Fogo, thought it was good.

Not even close to the best food I have had, but I probably spend $250 a weekend on high end food.

Been to Fogo, I could barely walk afterwards

It was a battle I would never win

Thanks, all. Appreciate the thoughts on them. I might just end up doing both. I can't really go wrong with either.

Places in Philly? I'm always looking for good eats around town.

What cuisine do you like?

My favorite restaurants:
Vernick Food and Drink
Doma
Petruce et al
Noord
Osteria
Aldine
Zama
Fette Sau
Heritage
Le Cheri

You'll need to reserve a few weeks ahead to get in to Vernick. The secret is you can get walk in seating at the bar, so if you are in the area check what the wait for the bar is. Doma is our go to spot for sushi, but they also make an awesome Korean bibimbap. Petruce has great, interesting flavors but I find the service lacking. Noord is just fantastic, a small byob with Scandinavian food. Some of the best cooked fish I have ever had, and chef Joncarl Lachman is such a gracious host. Awesome service at Noord.

Deku Tree

Try to get a reservation at Laurel lol.

My wife has been thinking of going there for numerous years and lol nope.

Even though Nick Elmi won top chef a long time ago, it still seems like need to make it your full time job if you want to get a reservation there at a non nuts time.

EDIT: I spoke too soon... You can actually get a reservation at Laurel at a decent time, if you do it almost exactly three months in advance. They only do reservations 90 days out. Yup, just booked a table for two in mid February on Open Table. I think that no shows who don't cancel with more than 24 hours notice get charged full price of $85/guest directly to your credit card lol.

Try to get a reservation at Laurel lol.

My wife has been thinking of going there for numerous years and lol nope.

Even though Nick Elmi won top chef a long time ago, it still seems like need to make it your full time job if you want to get a reservation there at a non nuts time.

EDIT: I spoke too soon... You can actually get a reservation at Laurel at a decent time, if you do it almost exactly three months in advance. They only do reservations 90 days out. Yup, just booked a table for two in mid February on Open Table. I think that no shows who don't cancel with more than 48 hours notice get charged full price of $85/guest directly to your credit card lol.

I still haven't gone there. Always slips my mind.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
What cuisine do you like?

Pretty much everything. What i dont like is going broke trying to eat good and keep up with the jones, so I tend to stay in my lane. Are these high end places that have jacket requirements and such? I dont always equate fine dinning with good food. Not to say I am completely apossed so max out at 100 bucks a head.

I work at 4th and Market so anywhere near old city to start?

MJPIA

So anyone know of any place you can buy dry ice in/around lower bucks, king of prussia or Chester county/coatesville?
Acme was one of the few places that carried it I know of and the one by us that did have it closed and the others nearby don't have it.
Supposedly the acme next to ollies in Horsham was supposed to have it but nope.
When we were dry ice blasting a aircraft wing we were buying it from a place in Lansdale but they only do bulk purchases and we only need a small amount for experimenting.
Know of a few places in Philly but they're out of the way and I'm hoping there is someplace more convenient.
There's gotta be a store somewhere that carries it but we've struck out the few places we checked that supposedly had it and don't have the time to run around looking.

andthebeatgoeson

Wow. I've heard really good things about Buddhakhan but also that they're quite pricey. Small world (city) I've done work for Vetri but never visited them for grub. I'll start there.
Thanks.

All of those are pricey. But worth it if you can swing it. Vetri is being recognized as on of the best in the country. And he has a few others around the city. But it was recently listed as #1 in the country. It's tiny food, like most expensive places but that 7 course meal still got me ready to take a trip back. Small place and it may be tough to get a reservation on popular nights.

Buddakhan had some of the best lamb chops I've ever had.

Edit: best italian restaurant in the country. Still, no slouch.

http://www.timeout.com/usa/restaurants/best-italian-restaurants-in-america

Pretty much everything. What i dont like is going broke trying to eat good and keep up with the jones, so I tend to stay in my lane. Are these high end places that have jacket requirements and such? I dont always equate fine dinning with good food. Not to say I am completely apossed so max out at 100 bucks a head.

I work at 4th and Market so anywhere near old city to start?

All the ones I listed cover a range, but I won't think anything requires a coat. I left off a lot of the most expensive places like Vetri or Volver, because while they are great they are also more special occasion things. The most "fine dining" places on my list are probably Vernick and Le Cheri. Le Cheri is the only one I'd recommend a coat for, and Vernick is fancy but you don't have to get super dressed up for it.

At 4th and Market? You are close to a ton of good places. Going to Zahav should be your biggest priority. Check out Talula's Daily, High Street on Market, Buddakan (I think it's a little tired at this point, but still good), Amada, Khyber, or Eulogy. I would say pretty much in that order. Not sure if I am missing anything.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
All the ones I listed cover a range, but I won't think anything requires a coat. I left off a lot of the most expensive places like Vetri or Volver, because while they are great they are also more special occasion things. The most "fine dining" places on my list are probably Vernick and Le Cheri. Le Cheri is the only one I'd recommend a coat for, and Vernick is fancy but you don't have to get super dressed up for it.

At 4th and Market? You are close to a ton of good places. Going to Zahav should be your biggest priority. Check out Talula's Daily, High Street on Market, Buddakan (I think it's a little tired at this point, but still good), Amada, Khyber, or Eulogy. I would say pretty much in that order. Not sure if I am missing anything.

Khyber is great I walk past High Street on lunch like everyday but never thought to stop.

psylah

The statue from the front courtyard of 1835 Market Street is gone. The new owners, Nightingale Realty (who also purchased our building) had it removed and are going to renovate the space.

You may recognize the Philadelphia landmark from the intro to the Philadelphia-based Oscar-winning film about a Philadelphia lawfirm's defeat by a Philadelphia attorney suffering from AIDS called "Philadelphia".

o.jpg

The statue from the front courtyard of 1835 Market Street is gone. The new owners, Nightingale Realty (who also purchased our building) had it removed and are going to renovate the space.

You may recognize the Philadelphia landmark from the intro to the Philadelphia-based Oscar-winning film about a Philadelphia lawfirm's defeat by a Philadelphia attorney suffering from AIDS called "Philadelphia".

o.jpg

It was always a creepy statue, but I actually liked it. No plans to bring it back?

esms

o.jpg

Good. Statue was incredibly creepy. Didn't help that the treadmills in the Weston directly faced it.

StevieWhite

Too bad we still have the weird companion piece hanging off of the Fridays on the Parkway.

Too bad we still have a Fridays on the Parkway.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I never understood that statue. Especially in a city with so many dope art pieces. The Thinker comes to mind as a really dope piece, plus my mother always thought she knew exactly what was on his mind.

psylah

Anyone seen Star Wars at the Franklin Institute IMAX?

Thinking about going there for my 2nd viewing. Last time I went there was that first new Superman movie, it hasn't been changed since then. right? Still the giant curved screen?

StevieWhite

In case anyone cares, my cousin, a mummer, has recommended either Broad and Sansom or Broad and Carpenter as prime viewing locations if you don't want to pay for tickets to the judging area. String bands should be there around 1 to 2.

Deku Tree

Went to see SW7 in 3D IMAX last night at UA riverview at 8pm. Got out at around 10:40pm and there was some band thing going on in the far parking under I-95. Good SW movie.

Anyone seen Star Wars at the Franklin Institute IMAX?

Thinking about going there for my 2nd viewing. Last time I went there was that first new Superman movie, it hasn't been changed since then. right? Still the giant curved screen?

Fucking hell, don't torture yourself by watching actual movies on that thing

I saw Transformers 2 and Pacific Rim on there and it made me almost vomit from confusion

MJPIA

Heard on the radio Montgomery county's filing charges against bill Cosby.

I know I'll end up complaining once it happens but I want some snow and not all this dreary weather.

Well, hope all of you had a happy holiday and will have a happy new year.

Alucrid

Banned
Heard on the radio Montgomery county's filing charges against bill Cosby.

I know I'll end up complaining once it happens but I want some snow and not all this dreary weather.

Well, hope all of you had a happy holiday and will have a happy new year.
Mont Co? Was he cooking meth too?

Top Bottom