• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Anyone seen Star Wars at the Franklin Institute IMAX?

Thinking about going there for my 2nd viewing. Last time I went there was that first new Superman movie, it hasn't been changed since then. right? Still the giant curved screen?

I can't comprehend what goes on in that theater after about 30min. It hurts

Went to see SW7 in 3D IMAX last night at UA riverview at 8pm. Got out at around 10:40pm and there was some band thing going on in the far parking under I-95. Good SW movie.

Mummers Parade Practice

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Anybody going to the GREATEST OF ALL PARADES?

Seriously, The Mummers are the GOAT parade. better than the Macy's, The Parade of Roses and anything else out there.

esms

Went to the One Liberty observation deck on Saturday. Timed it so we saw the sunset. It was pretty sweet, but definitely overpriced.

Last year ended with 280 homicide victims. A slight uptick to the 248 last year, and the 246 the year before. It still shows that the overall trend of declining murder rates is not just a fluke event. Overall violent crime rates between 2014 and 2015 showed no change. Progress.

Not quite as big a deal as violent crime rates, but property crime rates were down significantly this year, with a 7% drop. Notably commercial burglary was down 22%, residential burglary was down 17% and auto thefts were down 15%. Overall it was a 5% reduction in major crime.

*Note: final figures for crime haven't been officially released, so I am going by the preliminary data.

ACE 1991

Any restaurant recommendations in the city for Valentine's Day? Wondering how early in advance I need to book a reservation... I'd to spend about $100 on the meal for myself and my girlfriend including tip.

Any restaurant recommendations in the city for Valentine's Day? Wondering how early in advance I need to book a reservation... I'd to spend about $100 on the meal for myself and my girlfriend including tip.

A Mano in Fairmount just opened Wednesday night. I noticed it was open walking my dog yesterday, so I quick ran home, got the wife, and we scurried down there and got a table. The food was excellent, and it's a BYOB so you can save some money that way. It's owned by Townsend Wentz, who did Townsend on East Passyunk, which is also excellent. As of right now they aren't doing reservations, but I would be surprised if that is the case for Valentines day.

Really you're going to want to go to a BYOB to save cash and maximize the food potential. I really recommend Will BYOB, Noord, or if you want to take a bit of a drive try out Zeppoli in Collingswood.

Damn, there is video of the ambush on that cop. Crazy as shit. The guy just walks up to the car and opens fire. He runs, then the cop gets out of his car after being shot and chases after the guy.

That is one brave cop! I hope he has no long term health effects and makes a speedy recovery.

esms

Damn, there is video of the ambush on that cop. Crazy as shit. The guy just walks up to the car and opens fire. He runs, then the cop gets out of his car after being shot and chases after the guy.

That is one brave cop! I hope he has no long term health effects and makes a speedy recovery.

Get ready for it to get real tense in the city if this dude had religious motivations.

I'm currently in the, "This guy is crazy" camp, but you never know.

Some connections within the Philly PD are telling me Cop is going to be alright, but may lose his arm, which took 3 hits, after all is said and done.

gcubed

Last year ended with 280 homicide victims. A slight uptick to the 248 last year, and the 246 the year before. It still shows that the overall trend of declining murder rates is not just a fluke event. Overall violent crime rates between 2014 and 2015 showed no change. Progress.

Not quite as big a deal as violent crime rates, but property crime rates were down significantly this year, with a 7% drop. Notably commercial burglary was down 22%, residential burglary was down 17% and auto thefts were down 15%. Overall it was a 5% reduction in major crime.

*Note: final figures for crime haven't been officially released, so I am going by the preliminary data.

At least for property crime, it's amazing what a better economic outlook can do.

Feb 29th we are packing up from our house in the Bay Area and driving back home! Excited!

With a 2yr old... Less exciting

Hoping no one on here is affected by the big fire on 21st and Locust! I couldn't get access to my garage so I spent some time at the scene and it is such a mess. I can't imagine what 21st will be like tomorrow if all the water on the streets from the hydrants freezes.

esms

Hoping no one on here is affected by the big fire on 21st and Locust! I couldn't get access to my garage so I spent some time at the scene and it is such a mess. I can't imagine what 21st will be like tomorrow if all the water on the streets from the hydrants freezes.

Yeah, I hope everyone here's alright. From what I've seen, this city oversalts, so people down there should be fine.

Move closer to your world my friend...

The Roots played it last night on Late Night when introducing Danny Devito, who was promoting it's always sunny. I am just going to assume everyone heard the awesome rendition they did during Welcome America already.

You know, I rarely listen to it isolation, but that drum fill at like 1:40 is amazing.
So awesome: http://youtu.be/2ag_9nThbY0

I always think that if they ever decide to change that song there would be riots on the streets.

sjboi

I work every day this upcoming weekend but still get paid if my job has to close down, so I'm selfishly hoping for the snowstorm of the century here

I'm hitting Wegman's after work.

Bacon, cheese, bread and tomato soup are going to be the essentials I need. I'ma try to pick up a bottle of whiskey too, mmm mm good. I got my milk and eggs already. Maybe I'll pick up some nice steaks while I'm at it.

vypek

Please no snowstorm. It does no good for me. I'll be home all weekend anyways but if it manages to close down stuff on a weekday I still have to work

24113115789_7333744fb0_h.jpg

Cred: Christian Medek

Hot damn, that is the new definitive skyline view of Philadelphia.

Deku Tree

I don't have a picture of that quality, but I prefer the view from my roof deck on the east side of the South St area. You can see City Hall and the view is a bit more historic and beautiful. Although you don't see any bridges from my place....

For three years when I first moved to Philly, I lived in an apartment in the Edgewater building that is actually at the left hand edge of that photo right on the river, and my apartment had really nice views of the Schuylkill River, and in spite of the fact of how good it can look in pictures, whenever I see the Schuylkill I can't help but think about how ugly and dirty it would usually look from my apartment.

catbird

Neo Member
Hi Philly-Gaf. I live in S Jersey but I work and go to school in Philly. I lived in Fairmount area from 08-13. Remember when the SEPTA strike coincided with snow one year? Can't remember but I think it was 2009(?). That was fun walking to work.

Will have to be refreshed very soon with yet another skyscraper

Technically speaking it's more than one new one. CTIC is the biggest at 1100ft+, but there is actually another 500ft+ under construction and two 500ft+ buildings in final planning stages.

The W Element Hotel next to the Ritz is going to be 580ft. SLS International near the Kimmel Center is going to be 590ft. 1911 Walnut is going to be 600ft. All of those are taller than the Murano, the blue curved building to the front, for reference.

Also, Wolf has declared a state of emergency. You are now all required to listen to Bjork.

Top Bottom