• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Deku Tree

It does kinda suck to spend hours digging out a parking spot, and then seeing someone else parked in it when you get home from work. But yeah it's also illegal.

My first winter in Philly was the blizzard of 2009 that basically closed the city for two days. That's why when we bought a house in the city a few years later the one thing we insisted on the most was a garage.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Quick poll: how many folks in this thread were in Philly for the 96 or 93 blizzards? I remember them being far worse than anything in recent years, and being far less forewarned about them.

The Storm of the Century was which one? I also remember that horrible Ice storm in like 94 that shut down school for a week. so good

andthebeatgoeson

Quick poll: how many folks in this thread were in Philly for the 96 or 93 blizzards? I remember them being far worse than anything in recent years, and being far less forewarned about them.
Was there for both. 96 has it locked by a mile. I think 95 had a few ice storms. Like 1.5 inches of straight ice.

But 96? Whew. I shoveled and it looked like nothing changed in 2 hours. Hip deep.

I was there for both. I was a kid. I remember one of them got me a week off of school though.

ACE 1991

God damn, my girlfriend wants us to go my parent's house in Wayne for the weekend due to the storm. She's convinced we're going to lose power in Manayunk. Do you think it's likely?

StevieWhite

That's what I think. They have a generator though.

Through multiple hurricanes and snowstorms, the only time I have experienced appreciable power loss within city limits was when a squirrel got into our block's transformer. It's always a possibility, but I think it is unlikely.

Oh I was here for those. No, "snowmageddon" of 2010 was far worse. 96 was bad (31 inches), but getting hit with 28 inches on February 5-6, then getting hit with another 15 inches AGAIN three days later February 9-10 was just unbelievable. Nobody had an opportunity to clear out- There was nowhere for anyone to put all the damn snow.

vypek

I sort of want to get takeout right now but not really in the mood to go pick it up. Don't even know if any of my local places are open or if they shut early. Might as well call and find out though

MJPIA

'96 was the year my family moved to PA, Lancaster at the time.
Up until that point my parents had always lived on the west coast with most their life spent in California.
They were a tad unprepared.
Granted I wasn't very tall at that point since I was 3 but I have vague memories of running full speed through tunnels my dad dug.
I loved the snow, my parents not so much.

gcubed

I grew up a bit above Allentown, 96 still sits as all time, 34" up there, basically shut down for a week, as a teenager it was awesome.

As far as Philly goes, I moved into the city for college 17 years ago and left for what will end up being just about 3 years to SF but every time I can't back for a visit I couldn't leave. Shit is so fake out here... Definitely something that doesn't happen in Philly, plus as AWF said, it's somewhat of a hidden gem with great tourist stuff, fantastic small restaurants, tons of beer and good real people

When I'm back this spring, all you city guys can find me either at Village Whiskey or SPTR if you prefer to stay on BSL. Look for the gigantic bald guy (I get either Matt Geiger or white Donovan McNabb), I'll buy you a drink

As far as Philly goes, I moved into the city for college 17 years ago and left for what will end up being just about 3 years to SF but every time I can't back for a visit I couldn't leave. Shit is so fake out here...

Yeah I noticed everything feels kinda forced out in california and parts of the west coast. I won't speak for portland or seattle but the places in cali ive been to felt kinda forced from the absurd sprawl to the fact that driving everywhere kinda makes things so lonely? Idk how to quite describe it but there's a certain kind of charm to the whole of the northeast in Philly and NYC that you can't quite find elsewhere IMO. Everything is so compact and close together. It gives you the feeling of togetherness a little (at least it does for me)

gcubed

Yeah I noticed everything feels kinda forced out in california and parts of the west coast. I won't speak for portland or seattle but the places in cali ive been to felt kinda forced from the absurd sprawl to the fact that driving everywhere kinda makes things so lonely? Idk how to quite describe it but there's a certain kind of charm to the whole of the northeast in Philly and NYC that you can't quite find elsewhere IMO. Everything is so compact and close together. It gives you the feeling of togetherness a little (at least it does for me)

Everything is definitely closer, if you want to go to another large city for a different experience you can drive under 2 hours or take various trains. Here I can go to... Sacramento? Tahoe is amazing though. That and it may just be the tech field but there feels to be a pressure to airways be "on" wherever you are because you never know who you are sitting next to... and the days of civil disobedience / cultural challenging is gone out here, it's just a playground for rich people. Happy I did it, was a great career move, but I'm happy I'm coming back home.

How's the snow?

Everything is definitely closer, if you want to go to another large city for a different experience you can drive under 2 hours or take various trains. Here I can go to... Sacramento? Tahoe is amazing though. That and it may just be the tech field but there feels to be a pressure to airways be "on" wherever you are because you never know who you are sitting next to... and the days of civil disobedience / cultural challenging is gone out here, it's just a playground for rich people. Happy I did it, was a great career move, but I'm happy I'm coming back home.

How's the snow?

I want to visit California again one day. Was there for 6 months while in the military but it was basically in the middle of nowhere really (Lemoore). Really want to check out Yosemite at some point.

Rainy

Banned
I want to go back to California after I finish medical school here but Philly is pretty great. Surpassed any expectations I had of it, great city. And I've barely explored any of it yet, going to only get better~

Also what are some good coffee places in the city besides chains? Anyone have any hidden gems?

I want to go back to California after I finish medical school here but Philly is pretty great. Surpassed any expectations I had of it, great city. And I've barely explored any of it yet, going to only get better~

Also what are some good coffee places in the city besides chains? Anyone have any hidden gems?

Did you go to La Colombe yet? It's not just a great local chain, it's probably at the forefront of coffee nationally. The entire place is based out of Philly, but the owner is recognized worldwide. He has his own show, Dangerous Grounds, on the travel channel, and is generally consider a modern expert on coffee. La Colombe is probably the greatest third wave coffee producer in the USA. La Colombe has a cafe near you at 19th and Walnut, but to experience the best you need to check out their place in Fishtown, and maybe sample some of their house distilled rum.

You want to go back to Cali right now, but it's only because you don't have a full appreciation for the East Coast yet. You'll shortly realize that the East Coast is, in reality, better than california in every way. More to do, more to see, more to experience, more to eat, more to drink, and more to life than the boring west coast. You can experience the great aspects of the east and the west here. You can experience the birth of our nation and the best of our nation in one spot. If you have any sense you'll never want to leave.

Rainy

Banned
Did you go to La Colombe yet? It's not just a great local chain, it's probably at the forefront of coffee nationally. The entire place is based out of Philly, but the owner is recognized worldwide. He has his own show, Dangerous Grounds, on the travel channel, and is generally consider a modern expert on coffee. La Colombe is probably the greatest third wave coffee producer in the USA. La Colombe has a cafe near you at 19th and Walnut, but to experience the best you need to check out their place in Fishtown, and maybe sample some of their house distilled rum.

You want to go back to Cali right now, but it's only because you don't have a full appreciation for the East Coast yet. You'll shortly realize that the East Coast is, in reality, better than california in every way. More to do, more to see, more to experience, more to eat, more to drink, and more to life than the boring west coast. You can experience the great aspects of the east and the west here. You can experience the birth of our nation and the best of our nation in one spot. If you have any sense you'll never want to leave.

I've had it once and it was pretty good! Maybe I should go try other things on the menu next time..

And you may be right, but all of my family is on the West Coast so that's a pretty important factor to me. But only time will tell!

paskowitz

Rival Bros. IMO better than La Colombe.

esms

Heading to Fairmount Park (Sedgley, Poplar, Girard area) with the dog and GF. If anyone is out, I'll catch you there.

Deku Tree

wnlkpTr.jpg
wL0paTL.jpg

Cianfrani Park this morning

#thisStreetNeverGetsPlowed

Gonna Snow for a whole additional day? ZOMG

vypek

Anybody bothering to shovel yet? I think two people on my street did but one of them already had their work covered up and there is one doing it now. I think I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning to shovel

Top Bottom