• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

I just saw on Philly.com that next year penndot is getting rid of registration stickers on license plates. Said it will save the state $1,000,000 on taxes.

With the upcoming weather, who wants to go outside?

Yeah, I was thinking about going to Winterfest and ice skating, but it's probably just too cold. Doing a double date tomorrow with a friend and his fiance, but I have no clue where to take them. Looks like we might just go out to eat and get drinks. That King Midas exhibit at the Penn Museum sounds cool and I haven't been there in a while, but I am not sure they will be into that.

The Llama

With the upcoming weather, who wants to go outside?
Seriously! Two of my friends are trying to do something for their birthdays this weekend but I have no desire to leave my place from the time I get home tonight until I have to go back to work on Tuesday morning (woohoo three day weekend!)

Genos and Pats - worst cheesesteaks ever yet the city send all the tourists their way.

That cheese wiz garbage is an abomination to a REAL Philly cheesesteak y'all.

I can't exactly say for sure because I have never been to Philadelphia before. But from what I heard, Pat's & Geno's are very overrated & are only living off of the hype & their past history.

There's plenty of other cheesesteak chains that happen to be FAR superior, like Joe's Steaks + Soda Shop, Dalessandro’s Steaks, Cosmi's Deli, Gooey Looies Deli, Dinic's, Reading Terminal Market, John's Roast Pork, Paesano's Philly Style, Jimmy G's, etc.

And those are based off of very high reviews alone.

And no one uses Cheez Wiz on Cheesesteaks; They're supposed to use either American cheese or Provolone.

I can't exactly say for sure because I have never been to Philadelphia before. But from what I heard, Pat's & Geno's are very overrated & are only living off of the hype & their past history.

There's plenty of other cheesesteak chains that happen to be FAR superior, like Joe's Steaks + Soda Shop, Dalessandro’s Steaks, Cosmi's Deli, Gooey Looies Deli, Dinic's, Reading Terminal Market, John's Roast Pork, Paesano's Philly Style, Jimmy G's, etc.

And no one uses Cheez Wiz on Cheesesteaks; They're supposed to use either American cheese or Provolone.

Nah, plenty of people use the wiz, but it's not required like some people pretend. I almost always get american.

Deku Tree

Pat's makes a really good cheese steak. I've been to a bunch of the places you mentioned and I wouldn't call any of them "FAR superior".

I walked with a group to Cosmi's Deli one time based upon the hype, and wow was I supremely disappointed. It was alright but nothing to write home about, and a lot worse than Pat's. I even asked my friend who is in the Food business and is a middle aged South Philly lifer, and he laughed out loud when I mentioned Cosmi's. Everyone has their own favorite places.

Sure Pat's and Geno's are overhyped and there are other good places too.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Wiz on the steak is a mistake, it's nothing but trash.

But on the real, I'm not sure where this trend started. I always either had american or provolone and this was back as a kid in the 80's.

esms

I thought the MOVE bombing was pretty common knowledge. I think there's a good documentary on Netflix about it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Wilson Goode gave the OK to bomb a building that made a neighborhood catch fire and yet he's still not the worst mayor this city had.

I remember Rizzo being a jerk but I dont remember him setting 3 city blocks on fire and then refusing to let firefighters put it out. I am curious what he did to be considered worse.

To be fair to Goode, he wasn't the one that prevented the firefighters from putting out the fire, that was the police commissioner who was on site, not Goode. Goode authorized the bombing, that's it (bad enough).

Also: I already miss Nutter. Kenney is so clearly in the pockets of the unions.

Man I wish it was easier to get a teaching job in Philly. I would give anything to move back but my wife teaches elementary school and they are never hiring for those jobs. I was lucky to get hired and I am licensed in physics and math. It sucks so much because that is where all my family is, and I have had to live away from them all for like the last 10 years. I hate that my kids are going to grow up and never get to know their aunts or uncles. We have even tried looking at jobs in Jersey just to be in the area, but it is so hard to find something when you are stuck on the worst coast.

Deku Tree

Man I wish it was easier to get a teaching job in Philly. I would give anything to move back but my wife teaches elementary school and they are never hiring for those jobs. I was lucky to get hired and I am licensed in physics and math. It sucks so much because that is where all my family is, and I have had to live away from them all for like the last 10 years. I hate that my kids are going to grow up and never get to know their aunts or uncles. We have even tried looking at jobs in Jersey just to be in the area, but it is so hard to find something when you are stuck on the worst coast.

We moved to Philly in 2009 and my wife had to take a job in a good Charter school. If you are qualified then you can get a job in a charter school. A few of them are good. But there are many bad ones. Yeah it's pretty tough getting a job with the district now though, or in a suburb.

New Jersey now has residency requirements, so you have to live in jersey to work for the government in Jersey. Pretty backwards IMHO.

I will have no complaints if that leads to salary increases for non unionized city employees >_>

it won't

If the unions had their way there would be no such thing as non-union city employees. Sort of like how if the unions had their way there would be no non-union labor in the city whatsoever.

The Llama

If the unions had their way there would be no such thing as non-union city employees. Sort of like how if the unions had their way there would be no non-union labor in the city whatsoever.
The Law Department voted against unionization back in the 90's I think (I didn't have much to do during my first week so I actually read all the training materials haha), but yeah we're basically the only non unionized city employees outside of politically appointed people.

We moved to Philly in 2009 and my wife had to take a job in a good Charter school. If you are qualified then you can get a job in a charter school. A few of them are good. But there are many bad ones. Yeah it's pretty tough getting a job with the district now though, or in a suburb.

New Jersey now has residency requirements, so you have to live in jersey to work for the government in Jersey. Pretty backwards IMHO.

Yeah we considered having her try for a charter school job but we were worried about the pay/benefits. We have moved from NH to San fran to Philly to Las Vegas in the last 6 years and now have 2 kids under 2. We are so in debt and the housing market in vegas died right after we bought a house. The assessment they did this year for our property taxes had our house worth $50k less then we payed for it 2.5 years ago. I desperately dont want to raise kids in a city as terrible as Las Vegas but it is looking more and more like we are trapped here.

I had heard that thing about living in Jersey to work there but that wouldnt be a problem for me, my family is mostly in Langhorne PA which is 5 minutes from Jersey. I just wish we could find a district that we could both get hired by. I spend so much of my free time trying to find a district with good benefits, near philly that is hiring, I am making myself crazy. I love that Jersey school get a week off for Jersey week, my wife and I want to take our kids to DisneyWorld a lot but we dont want to go when it is busy and she hates the heat.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Many people cite Rizzo as worse. Personally I think Street gave Goode a run for his money.

Street was the worst. I don't remember him actually doing anything to help the city at all.

What I DO remember was the city was in a homicide crisis... and he was waiting in line for an iphone. That's what your aides are for fuckstick.

To be fair to Goode, he wasn't the one that prevented the firefighters from putting out the fire, that was the police commissioner who was on site, not Goode. Goode authorized the bombing, that's it (bad enough).

Also: I already miss Nutter. Kenney is so clearly in the pockets of the unions.

I agree. I think Nutter was an excellent mayor.

I actually never knew that this happened before. The fact that no one responsible was held accountable is sickening.

Deku Tree

Yeah we considered having her try for a charter school job but we were worried about the pay/benefits. We have moved from NH to San fran to Philly to Las Vegas in the last 6 years and now have 2 kids under 2. We are so in debt and the housing market in vegas died right after we bought a house. The assessment they did this year for our property taxes had our house worth $50k less then we payed for it 2.5 years ago. I desperately dont want to raise kids in a city as terrible as Las Vegas but it is looking more and more like we are trapped here.

I had heard that thing about living in Jersey to work there but that wouldnt be a problem for me, my family is mostly in Langhorne PA which is 5 minutes from Jersey. I just wish we could find a district that we could both get hired by. I spend so much of my free time trying to find a district with good benefits, near philly that is hiring, I am making myself crazy. I love that Jersey school get a week off for Jersey week, my wife and I want to take our kids to DisneyWorld a lot but we dont want to go when it is busy and she hates the heat.

It's almost impossible to get hired for a teaching job long distance. If you want to move back here,then you have to move back and take the best teaching job you can get and try to get a better job later on. Sad to say that but it's true. I know how hard that would be to do with two kids too...

They have all these certifications that you have to get in each state too. Every job posting gets tons of applications and they will be reluctant to hire someone who would be moving long distance for the position.

The Llama

I definitely miss Nutter but I do like Kenney a lot so far. It's kinda fun to be working in the government and see the differences between their administrations tbh.

Loxley

Oh fuck yes.

The Science Behind Pixar exhibition is coming to the Franklin Institute in March for a six-month stay.

This spring at The Franklin Institute, Pixar’s famous on-screen characters hit the gallery floor for a six-month exhibition pulling back the curtain on the fascinating world of the animated movie universe.

- See huge re-creations of Pixar film characters like Buzz Lightyear, Dory, Mike and Sulley, Edna Mode and WALL•E
- Special exhibition tickets are now available for individuals, kids, members and groups

Opening in March 2016, The Science Behind Pixar uses 40 interactive displays to guide film fans of all ages through the production process and demonstrate how science and technology turn ideas into award-winning films. From the detailed engineering to the mathematical concepts, this special exhibition dives deep to explore an array of animated films and the unforgettable characters within them.

Obtain firsthand perspectives from the artists and computer scientists who helped bring Pixar’s award-winning films to the big screen, and catch an unparalleled view of the complete production pipeline. Guests will also have the chance to engage in hands-on learning experiences, including modeling activities, animation opportunities and more.

Tickets for The Science Behind Pixar are already available for purchase online. Exhibition ticket prices vary, with tickets starting at $7.95 for a child member (3-11 years old) and ranging up to $29.95 for adult general admission that’s inclusive of admission to the entire museum, too.

For those who are looking to check out the exhibition only, evening general admission exhibition-only tickets are available Thursday through Saturday for $19.95 (adults) and $14.95 (children 3-11). Throughout the run of the exhibit, museumgoers can expect tons of accompanying programming and tie-ins with ongoing event series like the ever-popular Science After Hours event.

Fellow Francisvillains, as you may have noticed, the restaurant Blue Cat closed at the beginning of the year. It is being replaced by a restaurant titled "iPho". I for one welcome our new neighborhood noodle soup overlords.

I am not entirely certain, but I get the feeling it's probably a physical location for the food truck with the same name.

StevieWhite

Fellow Francisvillains, as you may have noticed, the restaurant Blue Cat closed at the beginning of the year. It is being replaced by a restaurant titled "iPho". I for one welcome our new neighborhood noodle soup overlords.

I am not entirely certain, but I get the feeling it's probably a physical location for the food truck with the same name.

Quite glad that this has happened, as it's practically next door to me. The food at Blue Cat was good, but we always had a bad experience with the service.

Ryuukan

I went to the iPho food truck a few times, food was decent but nothing special. The worst thing about it was the dude who took the orders would flirt with any girls buying from them. He would go on and on, really awkward.

Deku Tree

Went to Laurel last night with my wife. Was so good.

My ranking of places like this that I've been to in Philly is

Vetri > Bibou >> Laurel (keep in mind that all three are really extremely good)

Felt like it was kind of strange that Laurel offered you one extra pasta dish in the middle for $40. That's the first time I've been offered an additional course in the middle of the dinner of a tasting menu for an additional charge. And you could swap the Duck main course for Kobe beef for an additional $50; must have been the highest quality Kobe. Prices for the extra options seemed high when the prix fix tasting menu is $80 and it includes a lot of courses and each one is quite small including the main course. The wine pairing was good.

I left Vetri and Bibou feeling overstuffed. I left Laurel feeling adequately full but no more, probably because there were a lot of fish dishes.

The hell did you do to Blue Cat you bastard?!

Though a Pho place, eh...

Also, lol Kobe beef, that shit is faaaaaake

Bistro Romano in Old City does Murder Mystery dinners, I'd recommend it for a nice night out or a date. It was cheesey but the food/wine/beer is good and it's fun so check it out if you get a chance.

Next night out plan is to do one of those escape the room games someplace with some friends.

ALSO for Philly gaffers check out the new plans for the Broad and Washington complex that's set to build on the empty lot there next to the Art school. It's going to be a bigger, badder, better version of the Piazza.
Here's the link; http://planphilly.com/articles/2016/02/17/revealed-blatstein-s-designs-for-broad-washington

StevieWhite

The hell did you do to Blue Cat you bastard?!

Though a Pho place, eh...

Also, lol Kobe beef, that shit is faaaaaake

Anytime it is labeled Kobe, it's usually pretty good. Don't know if it's "authentic" or whatever, but the designation itself is usually a decent indicator of the quality of meat you are to be served.

Bistro Romano in Old City does Murder Mystery dinners, I'd recommend it for a nice night out or a date. It was cheesey but the food/wine/beer is good and it's fun so check it out if you get a chance.

Next night out plan is to do one of those escape the room games someplace with some friends.

ALSO for Philly gaffers check out the new plans for the Broad and Washington complex that's set to build on the empty lot there next to the Art school. It's going to be a bigger, badder, better version of the Piazza.
Here's the link; http://planphilly.com/articles/2016/02/17/revealed-blatstein-s-designs-for-broad-washington

My wife did two of the escape the room things with her coworkers as a team building thing. She actually liked them a lot. I think she did Escape the 80s last, which I think is on East Passyunk somewhere.

I went to the iPho food truck a few times, food was decent but nothing special. The worst thing about it was the dude who took the orders would flirt with any girls buying from them. He would go on and on, really awkward.

I was doing some looking around last night about whether or not it was the same guys as the foodtruck and I found the food truck guys instagram and holy crap, he seemed like a dirtbag. Your story just served as confirmation.

I never did find confirmation it was the same people, but given the name it's not impossible. I had originally heard it was going to be by the people that own Fairmount Pizza and Fare.

Edit: Oh! I saw last night that Petruce Et Al was closed. Super sad. They had awesome food, I'm not sure why they couldn't make it work.

Top Bottom