• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

esms

ALSO for Philly gaffers check out the new plans for the Broad and Washington complex that's set to build on the empty lot there next to the Art school. It's going to be a bigger, badder, better version of the Piazza.
Here's the link; http://planphilly.com/articles/2016/02/17/revealed-blatstein-s-designs-for-broad-washington

If I wasn't so happy with my current place, I'd check this out. The Piazza wasn't my thing because of location, and this seems to solve that.

Deku Tree

Also, lol Kobe beef, that shit is faaaaaake

Anytime it is labeled Kobe, it's usually pretty good. Don't know if it's "authentic" or whatever, but the designation itself is usually a decent indicator of the quality of meat you are to be served.

I have known this for a while:

http://www.eater.com/2015/11/9/9685928/kobe-beef-real-wagyu

"Businesses have been using the wrong Kobe terminology for years. It's like a trademark: You can't brew your own beer and call it Budweiser," explains Charles Gaskins of the American Wagyu Association. The label creates potential legal hassles for hundreds of restaurants — from upscale steakhouses to neighborhood burger joints — since only nine businesses in America serve legitimate Kobe, according to the Kobe Beef Marketing & Distribution Promotion Association, a trade group that keeps meticulous records of each certified head of cattle sold. Many American restaurant owners, who are really selling Wagyu beef instead of Kobe, simply don't know they're using the term incorrectly.

Today only nine businesses in the U.S. serve the real thing, according to the Kobe Beef Marketing & Distribution Promotion Association. They include restaurants in the Wynn Las Vegas, Nick and Sam's Steakhouse in Dallas, the MGM Resorts International in Las Vegas, Bazaar Meat by José Andrés in Las Vegas, the three-location Alexander's Steakhouse, 212 Steakhouse in New York City, and Teppanyaki Ginza Onodera in Honolulu.

Anybody play hockey on this thread?
PM me if you're looking for places to play open hockey or know of any good spots. I've got a few I'd be happy to share, we're always looking for more people. Must be 21+, these are adult leagues

So I called the Philadelphia School district today, I am good to go it seems for a job next year. Just need my wife to get hired and all my dreams in life will have come true. I have had this terrible stress on my for the last 2 years because I was so worried that me kids would have to grow up some where awful like Vegas. Man if you could grow up in Philly and have all the amazing experiences that I had and be surround by all of their family I will be the happiest person on Earth.

Deku Tree

So I called the Philadelphia School district today, I am good to go it seems for a job next year. Just need my wife to get hired and all my dreams in life will have come true. I have had this terrible stress on my for the last 2 years because I was so worried that me kids would have to grow up some where awful like Vegas. Man if you could grow up in Philly and have all the amazing experiences that I had and be surround by all of their family I will be the happiest person on Earth.

Congrats!

Hope it works out. Your wife is a teacher too right? It may be worth while for her to look into a job at a non-profit and not just the school district and then wait for something at the school district to open. Lots of non-profits in the city need educators, and there are usually a ton of jobs in non-profits.

Lol Ortlieb's is AMAZING

Small ass dive bar, barely 50 seats, awesome venue. I saw Lily Kershaw there

Yeah Ortlieb's is fun. I love that they have Lord Chesterfield cans.

Hope it works out. Your wife is a teacher too right? It may be worth while for her to look into a job at a non-profit and not just the school district and then wait for something at the school district to open. Lots of non-profits in the city need educators, and there are usually a ton of jobs in non-profits.

Yeah Ortlieb's is fun. I love that they have Lord Chesterfield cans.

What do you mean by non-profit jobs?

What do you mean by non-profit jobs?

My wife has worked in non-profits for a while and a lot of them do things like after school programs, anti-bullying programs, or educational programming and they like to hire people with teaching qualifications. For example, my wife used to work at the National Liberty Museum, and they had a program where they brought in kids from schools and other programs and taught them about bullying, or about other aspects of their museum. It's a pretty big aspect of the non-profit industry here because so much funding goes toward educational things.

Check this out: Philaculture Job Bank

Just a cursory look has two postings on there for jobs in educational fields, though part time.

My wife has worked in non-profits for a while and a lot of them do things like after school programs, anti-bullying programs, or educational programming and they like to hire people with teaching qualifications. For example, my wife used to work at the National Liberty Museum, and they had a program where they brought in kids from schools and other programs and taught them about bullying, or about other aspects of their museum. It's a pretty big aspect of the non-profit industry here because so much funding goes toward educational things.

Check this out: Philaculture Job Bank

Just a cursory look has two postings on there for jobs in educational fields, though part time.

Thanks for the heads up man. I had no idea that was even a thing.

Thanks for the heads up man. I had no idea that was even a thing.

It's a big thing and the pay can be ok, in the $40k range. Maybe not as much as teaching, but as a stopgap to get you relocated it's a very good option. A lot of my wife's former coworkers got out of college and did jobs like that before they landed actual teaching gigs. It's related work experience to boot.

Went to Doma tonight with a nice bottle of Chardonnay. Polished off my bottle of Colonel EH Taylor Single Barrel afterward. Around midnight I'm heading to the Making Time warehouse party. I love weekends! So much to do in Philly.

Edit: omg this is the best dj set I have heard in years

The Llama

I don't think so. At some stations they have completely eliminated token slots on the turnstyles and you have to give your token to the person in the booth. They need to hurry up already.
When they first opened the Dilworth Plaza entrance I didn't know you could do that and I thought it was the stupidest idea ever to open an entrance that no one could use heh.

I think septa key is only a month away now, though...

So I heard back from the Philadelphia school district today. My application for reinstatement was denied. I am permanently blocked from working there for life because I didn't give them 60 days notice before I resigned. I can't believe that they need math and science teachers and I am super qualified for both but I can't work there. My number 1 dream in life is for my kids to grow up in Philly and now they won't get to. The fucked up thing is I didn't give them 60 days of notice before because we didn't decide to leave for a different district until we found out that my wife wouldn't get hired there because they were not hiring elementary school teachers that year. Man life is so depressing some times.

Deku Tree

So I heard back from the Philadelphia school district today. My application for reinstatement was denied. I am permanently blocked from working there for life because I didn't give them 60 days notice before I resigned. I can't believe that they need math and science teachers and I am super qualified for both but I can't work there. My number 1 dream in life is for my kids to grow up in Philly and now they won't get to. The fucked up thing is I didn't give them 60 days of notice before because we didn't decide to leave for a different district until we found out that my wife wouldn't get hired there because they were not hiring elementary school teachers that year. Man life is so depressing some times.

There is also charter schools. You have less job security, and no tenure. But if you are a high performing math and/or science teachers there is a lot of opportunities. Places like Freire or Mastery and a few others do hire too and can in some cases pay really well (but they also have high expectations and there are no Union protections). I know about a math teacher in a Charter school, who does a lot of the extra coaching stuff, and his students regularly get high test scores, and he makes $90K+ a year.

Or trying to get a job in a nearby suburb.

esms

There are other teaching jobs, my man. In your current situation, you may have to get creative in looking for those opportunities.

andthebeatgoeson

Not to talk about blame but was it not well known about the 60 days? Did you resign the day of? Did they tell you and you still resigned?

Or is this bullshit they tell you after the fact?

Alucrid

Banned
There is also charter schools. You have less job security, and no tenure. But if you are a high performing math and/or science teachers there is a lot of opportunities. Places like Freire or Mastery and a few others do hire too and can in some cases pay really well (but they also have high expectations and there are no Union protections). I know about a math teacher in a Charter school, who does a lot of the extra coaching stuff, and his students regularly get high test scores, and he makes $90K+ a year.

Or trying to get a job in a nearby suburb.
Yeah there's a lot of good school districts in Delco or Chester County. You can always look at private schools too.

Not to talk about blame but was it not well known about the 60 days? Did you resign the day of? Did they tell you and you still resigned?

Or is this bullshit they tell you after the fact?

Even if he knew, it's an absolutely insane position to have. Two weeks? Somewhat acceptable. Frankly there shouldn't be a deadline. If someone is qualified and you need teachers you hire them. The attrition at Philly schools is insane as is.

I had no idea that they required 60 days notice before you resign. I don't even understand how someone would know. We waited until we found out that they wouldn't hire my wife and then we looked for other jobs.

Can't you order a custom one online?

They aren't available yet, but eventually yeah.

Anyway, the big news:

Schuylkill Yards
gHWhfR3.jpg

An initiative by Drexel and Brandywine Property Trust. Eight towers will be built and the entire area around 30th Street Station will be transformed over a 20 year period. The tallest tower proposed will be 1200 feet, taller than the new Comcast tower currently under construction. The first building is supposed to be under construction by 2018, so site work will probably begin next year.

esms

That's gonna be awesome. Glad I don't have to go to school around all that construction though. Five years of Drexel destroying and rebuilding things was enough.

having a second skyline will be cool as fuck. not that it's really comparable but I always liked how Manhattan is kinda split between Lower Manhattan and Midtown

Blunoise

Guys I just stumbled across this place for one of the many spots on my list I want to move to! I'm a black male from Atlanta into web development. How easy it making friends and how is the interracial dating scene like?

Matsukaze

Guys I just stumbled across this place for one of the many spots on my list I want to move to! I'm a black male from Atlanta into web development. How easy it making friends and how is the interracial dating scene like?
Philly is pretty friendly; don't let others fool you. It's all about finding your preferences - whether your idea of a social outing is to visit the bars/clubs, the museums, film/art festivals, etc. There's always something to do in the city. Given how big the city is, you shouldn't have trouble finding at least a few good people who share your interests near where you live or work. It might be intimidating at first given the relocation, but that's only natural.

As for interracial dating, I don't have actual statistics in front of me or anything to back up my statement, but interracial couples are a common sight in the city. You're not going to draw looks from people if you date someone who isn't black. Plenty of fish in the sea, too. My cousin has been dating a Korean girl for years now; never had any issues pop up. Same goes for several of my friends.

Blunoise

Philly is pretty friendly; don't let others fool you. It's all about finding your preferences - whether your idea of a social outing is to visit the bars/clubs, the museums, film/art festivals, etc. There's always something to do in the city. Given how big the city is, you shouldn't have trouble finding at least a few good people who share your interests near where you live or work. It might be intimidating at first given the relocation, but that's only natural.

As for interracial dating, I don't have actual statistics in front of me or anything to back up my statement, but interracial couples are a common sight in the city. You're not going to draw looks from people if you date someone who isn't black. Plenty of fish in the sea, too. My cousin has been dating a Korean girl for years now; never had any issues pop up. Same goes for several of my friends.
That sounds awesome! Well I'm originally from Nj, so it should be hard to get back use to the North again. Also I hope there is a great gaming culture there too

That sounds awesome! Well I'm originally from Nj, so it should be hard to get back use to the North again. Also I hope there is a great gaming culture there too

I think it's pretty easy to make friends if you put yourself out there. There's actually a pretty nice tech scene in the city so I think work would be pretty easy for you to find, but more importantly there are tons of meetups for tech people at which it would be easy to make friends too.

As far as the gaming scene goes, there's a bit of one, but I honestly don't know a ton about it. I do know that there are some coworking spaces that have weekly gaming nights and tournaments, so there's definitely stuff to do around here for gamers, especially around the universities.

Now, I have no clue what the interracial dating scene is like. As far as I know since Philly, like Atlanta, is a majority black city that people are pretty used to seeing it and comfortable with it in my experience. I haven't been on the dating scene in over ten years so I have little experience here. My brother dated a black girl for a while, but that doesn't mean much I guess? I married an asian, so there's that too.

If you want advice like where to look for jobs, what neighborhoods are nice, or even cool places to hang out let me know. Philly is an under-appreciated gem of a city. Are you originally from North Jersey? My wife grew up in Monmouth County.

Blunoise

Yea it's so weird that I never put Philly on my radar. I've been only looking at LA, San Fran, Seattle, and NYC for my future moves, but I can move to those at a later time I'm 27, so I'm still young haha. Well I'm from Montclair, but haven't been there in like 15yrs. I did live in Boston for 3 years and that place sucks!
Philly looks like a cool diverse place that is growing in arts and tech.

Btw I'm thinking of moving to fish town since it matches my hipster style :)

wawa has burritos now? are they any good

Had one yesterday.

Chipotle on notice

Now, I have no clue what the interracial dating scene is like. As far as I know since Philly, like Atlanta, is a majority black city that people are pretty used to seeing it and comfortable with it in my experience. I haven't been on the dating scene in over ten years so I have little experience here. My brother dated a black girl for a while, but that doesn't mean much I guess? I married an asian, so there's that too.

If you want advice like where to look for jobs, what neighborhoods are nice, or even cool places to hang out let me know. Philly is an under-appreciated gem of a city. Are you originally from North Jersey? My wife grew up in Monmouth County.

It actually isn't. Philly is only 43% Black, 41% white, with the rest being latino/other. basically 50/50 between the two largest, but blacks are a minority if we're talking in comparison to every other group combined. It doesn't SEEM that way a lot of the time though because a lot of the white population has segregated itself into the "great" northeast.

Atlanta in comparison is 54% Black, 33% white, with the rest as latino/other. no idea if its as heavily segregated (philly is one of the worst in the country about this) but I doubt it.

as for interracial dating- extremely common, no one cares.

It actually isn't. Philly is only 43% Black, 41% white, with the rest being latino/other. basically 50/50 between the two largest, but blacks are a minority if we're talking in comparison to every other group combined. It doesn't SEEM that way a lot of the time though because a lot of the white population has segregated itself into the "great" northeast.

Atlanta in comparison is 54% Black, 33% white, with the rest as latino/other. no idea if its as heavily segregated (philly is one of the worst in the country about this) but I doubt it.

as for interracial dating- extremely common, no one cares.

Demographically speaking, whatever racial/ethnic group holds the largest percentage of the population is considered to be the majority racial group of that location, so by that metric the city is majority nonhispanic-black. The sticky part is whether or not you consider hispanic/latino to be a minority group or if they are simply white. If you lump them all into the white group, rather than splitting them out, Philly is a majority white city. It's difficult to do this because a significant portion of that population is hispanic-black. If you lump hispanic-whites into the white group it's still larger than the black + hispanic-black demographic group. Then you have the mexican and central american people who are mixed with native populations. I personally have always considered hispanic/latino to just be a separate demographic category because it just breaks down conceptually easier that way. So it really depends how you like your demographics.

But yeah, the population is close to 50/50 black and white, that's a true statement. Sidenote, I essentially live and breathe population statistics of major cities and it's a sort of weird hobby of mine.

E92 M3

That's gonna be awesome. Glad I don't have to go to school around all that construction though. Five years of Drexel destroying and rebuilding things was enough.

Yes, I went there during the construction and never got to enjoy the new buildings lol.

The Llama

Demographically speaking, whatever racial/ethnic group holds the largest percentage of the population is considered to be the majority racial group of that location, so by that metric the city is majority nonhispanic-black. The sticky part is whether or not you consider hispanic/latino to be a minority group or if they are simply white. If you lump them all into the white group, rather than splitting them out, Philly is a majority white city. It's difficult to do this because a significant portion of that population is hispanic-black. If you lump hispanic-whites into the white group it's still larger than the black + hispanic-black demographic group. Then you have the mexican and central american people who are mixed with native populations. I personally have always considered hispanic/latino to just be a separate demographic category because it just breaks down conceptually easier that way. So it really depends how you like your demographics.

But yeah, the population is close to 50/50 black and white, that's a true statement. Sidenote, I essentially live and breathe population statistics of major cities and it's a sort of weird hobby of mine.
Isn't philly a plurality black city, not majority, since it's under 50%? Or am I completely misunderstanding the usage of plurality?

Top Bottom