• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phineas and Ferb |OT| Hey, GAF, I know what we're going to watch today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirata

Threadbanner.png

What is it?

Phineas and Ferb is an animated series created by Dan Povenmire and Jeff "Swampy" Marsh, who previously worked together on such shows as The Simpsons and Rocko's Modern Life. In it, stepbrothers Phineas Flynn and Ferb Fletcher spend each day of their summer vacation fending off boredom by building outlandish contraptions and organizing exciting (and potentially dangerous) events for themselves and their friends. Their teenage sister, Candace Flynn, is obsessed with exposing the boys' schemes to their mother, who is blissfully oblivious to Phineas and Ferb's daily stunts. None of them are aware, however, that their seemingly-docile family pet, Perry the platypus, leads a double life as a spy in a top-secret government agency comprised entirely of fedora-clad animals, and is in constant battle against his arch-nemesis, Dr. Heinz Doofenschmirtz.

Also, there's at least one musical number in every episode.

Why should I care?

Because the show is fantastic. Don't be fooled by the fact that it airs on the pop-culture wasteland that is the Disney Channel; P&F is a true work of quality, featuring terrific and extremely-likable characters, writing that surpasses the vast majority of shows on TV (animated or otherwise), and kick-ass music. It's a great show for kids, but also appeals to a much older audience with its sharp humor and references that often go over younger viewers' heads (MSNBC recently named it one of the "top ten kid shows with adult appeal"). When you watch Phineas and Ferb, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a good time.

How Can I watch it?

New episodes usually air in the United States on Fridays at 9:00 PM EST (8:00 Central) on the Disney Channel . However, new episodes have been coming a bit infrequently lately (probably because the production team was busy until recently with Across the Second Dimension), so you may want to check program listings to see when the next new episodes air.

If you want to watch previously-aired episodes, you can catch them as reruns on the Disney Channel or Disney Channel XD (they re-air old episodes out the wazoo; check your local listings). However, probably the best way to see episodes after they air is on Netflix streaming---episodes are made available just a few weeks after they air on TV, and are available in HD! It's an excellent way to see the series from the beginning, which is recommendable, since the show is chock-full of running jokes and references to previous episodes.

Sample Clips:

The theme song

S.I.M.P. (Squirrels in my Pants)

Mexican-Jewish Cultural Festival

Ain't Got Rhythm

News

10/27/11: Toy Story 3 writer hired to write script for theatrical P&F film

7/14/12: Phineas and Ferb/Marvel crossover special unveiled at San Diego Comic Con.

Miscellaneous:

Times Talk panel with show creators and actors. An hour-an-a-half long, but quite entertaining and informative

MOM! Phineas and Ferb are having a GAF OT!

I love it. One of the best shows around. I usually don't like music in cartoons but this one is an exception.

alphaNoid

Banned
My (almost) 2 year old son loves this show, and because its on I started watching. Its pretty solid for a cartoon.. I'm 32.
KuGsj.gif

likeGdid

Aren't you a little old to be making a Phineas and Ferb OT?

Across the Second Dimension was an amazing watch. I think Gaborn made a thread about earlier.

(._.)

Banned
My step mom's brother (step uncle?) is the co creator of this show :S

good stuff, don't really watch it though.

recall visiting him once when the roller coaster episode was still a pilot episode. Show is pretty popular now amongst kids and their parents.

Peru

Yeah I just watched the first season after seeing it namedropped so often by reasonable adults. It's great- and that's not really because of the pop culture references / adult nods, but because it's so likeably funny.

In a way it's got a Calvin & Hobbes thing going on - finding meaning in your imagination and creativity, blurry lines between real and fake, the implausible is plausible if you make up your own rules etc. One of the greatest things about it is how positive and open-minded all the characters are - the kids, the parents - hell even the evil scientist. And the annoyed (but ultimately loving) sister turns out to be a fleshed-out character, one who gets the main spot often and isn't just a plot tool. It's TV that makes you feel better.

As for the actual funniest parts, of course it's Heinz and Perry's frenemy relationship, Doof always gets the best lines. With so many episodes, some are better than others, but on the whole - good stuff. Will watch the other seasons and the movie.

Peru

The grandpa is voiced by Malcolm McDowell and a Clockwork Orange is of course referenced in 'Phineas and Ferb Get Busted'.

pirata

likeGdid said:
Aren't you a little old to be making a Phineas and Ferb OT?

No, no I'm not.

I'm glad you guys like it, even if the OP is still kind of rough for the time being. If anyone has any ideas on how to add to the OP or spruce things up (or has the ability to make banners that look like an actual product with effort behind it), let me know.

On a different note, a new episode airs tonight, but it's only listed as one 15-minute episode by itself. Weird. I guess we can discuss it as it airs (this being an official thread and all).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
pirata said:
No, no I'm not.

I'm glad you guys like it, even if the OP is still kind of rough for the time being. If anyone has any ideas on how to add to the OP or spruce things up (or has the ability to make banners that look like an actual product with effort behind it), let me know.

On a different note, a new episode airs tonight, but it's only listed as one 15-minute episode by itself. Weird. I guess we can discuss it as it airs (this being an official thread and all).
You could mention the video game. No idea if it's any good. It looks nice though

Ri'Orius

I've been sick off and on for most of the month, and the big thing that's kept me sane has been watching all of the P&F on Netflix. Good stuff.

Question, though: was I the only one who was shocked when Isabella turned out to be Mexican? Now that I think about the name it sounds like a dumb question, but when I just knew her as "the girl" I always thought she was Asian....

Is the new movie going to be on Disney.com or Netflix at some point?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Ri'Orius said:
I've been sick off and on for most of the month, and the big thing that's kept me sane has been watching all of the P&F on Netflix. Good stuff.

Question, though: was I the only one who was shocked when Isabella turned out to be Mexican? Now that I think about the name it sounds like a dumb question, but when I just knew her as "the girl" I always thought she was Asian....

Is the new movie going to be on Disney.com or Netflix at some point?

nah i was also blown away.

pirata said:
No, no I'm not.

i am sure gaffers will help you out . i am busy atm, but ill help when i am free.

Ri'Orius said:
Question, though: was I the only one who was shocked when Isabella turned out to be Mexican?

Was more surprised that she's Jewish AND Hispanic, pretty out there combo for a little cartoon girl. But she's totally adorable and "whatcha doin'?" is now one of the best questions ever asked.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Ri'Orius said:

I actually thought Isabella and Stacy were sisters when I first started watching, so I thought so too.

AlphaDragoon said:
Was more surprised that she's Jewish AND Hispanic, pretty out there combo for a little cartoon girl. But she's totally adorable and "whatcha doin'?" is now one of the best questions ever asked.

I thought that was pretty cool since I know some Jewish Mexicans myself. You don't see that everyday, even down in Mexico.

Me and my little siblings ask "whatcha doin'?" to each other all the time now.

pirata

It's awfully weird that they only showed one fifteen-minute segment yesterday by itself. Have they ever done that before?

Amir0x

Banned
AlphaDragoon said:

I relate to her because I am hispanic and jewish!

GamerSoul

My girlfriend loves the show. I was oh shit, when I found out that Phineas, Dorito Head, was voiced by Greg, Chris's best friend, from Everybody hates Chris. He's so in there.

mooooose

Peru said:
Yeah I just watched the first season after seeing it namedropped so often by reasonable adults. It's great- and that's not really because of the pop culture references / adult nods, but because it's so likeably funny.

In a way it's got a Calvin & Hobbes thing going on - finding meaning in your imagination and creativity, blurry lines between real and fake, the implausible is plausible if you make up your own rules etc. One of the greatest things about it is how positive and open-minded all the characters are - the kids, the parents - hell even the evil scientist. And the annoyed (but ultimately loving) sister turns out to be a fleshed-out character, one who gets the main spot often and isn't just a plot tool. It's TV that makes you feel better.

As for the actual funniest parts, of course it's Heinz and Perry's frenemy relationship, Doof always gets the best lines. With so many episodes, some are better than others, but on the whole - good stuff. Will watch the other seasons and the movie.
This is such a great analysis. I feel the same way. The Calvin & Hobbes atmosphere, all the characters having some depth and all being very positive and open minded, it's a good feeling.

The writing is so unbelievably good for a kids' show it's ridiculous.

The problem with the show is its visuals. It leaves a horrible first impression because it looks so generic and boring. Eventually, they serve as a decent medium for the stories, but on first glance it looks so passe and its initially hard to grasp why the show is even considered good.

I really love this show. My favorite kids' show on currently and in the last couple of years. Pony lovers be damned.

hiro4

Probably the best kids show on tv.
I watch it since my son was 2 or so and love every minute of it's humor and absurdness.

Last week we had a marathon here. 6 hours of phineas and ferb eps. It was amazing!!

SykoTech

Great show. The Squirrels in my Pants bit never ceases to amuse me and my family.

I was disappointed by the movie though. It was way too focused on "epic action", which isn't the show's strength at all. The songs and jokes weren't as clever or catchy as they are in the show either, and the ending was the most predictable and boring solution ever.

I watched this after reading a few users on GAF say how much they liked it a long time ago. Easily my favorite cartoon currently in production. It's so much fun, and the writing and delivery of their jokes gets me every time.

Not always a fan of the songs, but they never ruin an episode.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
To repeat what I've been posting since the first couple of episodes aired a few years back, the best family-friendly animated series out there since Animaniacs.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
XiaNaphryz said:
To repeat what I've been posting since the first couple of episodes aired a few years back, the best family-friendly animated series out there since Animaniacs.
i fucking loved animaniacs. i miss that show so much :(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Watching some episodes on Netflix, and a Minor drawing mistake in Season 2, Episode 29. For shame over worked Disney flash animators!

p%26f.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It happens a few time in the episode, wonder how they even managed to screw it up. Flash animation and all, you just need to make the sign right once and paste is in hundreds of spots in a musical number.

WillyFive

I like how it doesn't even look like Flash animation. If someone told me it was traditional, I would have believed them.

At first, I thought it was weird how Phineas's head was a Dorito, but the animation was excellent.

Someone introduced me to to this show while I was making a 10 top list of cartoon with dinosaur episodes. Needless to say the episode took me completely by surprise and instantly turned me into a fan.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Cow Mengde said:
Someone introduced me to to this show while I was making a 10 top list of cartoon with dinosaur episodes. Needless to say the episode took me completely by surprise and instantly turned me into a fan.
I'm guessing that's the time-travel one from the museum?

Willy105 said:
I like how it doesn't even look like Flash animation. If someone told me it was traditional, I would have believed them.

At first, I thought it was weird how Phineas's head was a Dorito, but the animation was excellent.
His head is a P and Ferb is an F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom