• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phineas and Ferb |OT| Hey, GAF, I know what we're going to watch today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally! Second page!

Figured I'd throw a post in here every time a new episode airs in order to potentially spark some discussion. I know this is that one show that everyone watches and no one talks about, but dang, this thread is depressing.

"Let's Bounce" and "Bully Bromance Break Up" aired last night. The former being another Candace-centric episode in which she deals with an invention ruining things for her, in the same vein as "Run, Candace, Run". The latter being a Baljeet/Buford-centric episode, in which they split ways and deal with the seperation in their own way. It's also the far funnier episode, in my opinion. As an example, Phineas (and Ferb, to a lesser extent) begin to spaz out as they are requested to not build anything while they, Isabella, and Baljeet climb a mountain. Though a Phineas breakdown is usually a dramatic thing saved for the specials, this one being in a humorous light really worked out ("ICE CHALET!!!").

Yeah, as i said before, some of these regular routine episodes just don't do it for me as much anymore. However, seeing a long overdue return of Suzy tormenting Candace and Phineas starting to freak out was great. I was kind thinking Isabella would eventually fall for "New Baljeet" considering he kept upstaging Phineas.

The next episode will air on the 30th; it will involve Doofenshmirtz becoming handsome through an -inator, and the Flynn-Fletchers visiting Druelselstein. Also, the long-awaited "Meapless in Seattle" thirty-minute episode will be airing on the 6th of April.

Ah my sister and I were JUST WATCHING Chronicles of Meap, I told her about the upcoming episode, but had no idea when it aired. Thanks.

dear god no... Don't bring that shit in here.

Relax, did you actually SEE the episode, or did you just find this as an excuse to rant about furry hate again? It was just a really REALLY subtle jab at furry culture.

Kangi

Yeah, as i said before, some of these regular routine episodes just don't do it for me as much anymore. However, seeing a long overdue return of Suzy tormenting Candace and Phineas starting to freak out was great. I was kind thinking Isabella would eventually fall for "New Baljeet" considering he kept upstaging Phineas.

I actually like the "regular routine" episodes. For a while, they sort of lost themselves in changing up everything and subverting the usual fare (oh gosh, those endless Candace-centric episodes), and I like to see it go back to the "usual", since there's always surprises waiting either way.

"New Baljeet rocks!" *Baljeet falls* "...Rocked."

So new episodes? New episodes.

Uhh where do I start. Meapless in Seattle was superb.
Can't wait for Meap Me in St. Louis

Quietest Day Ever was great if just for that Handome Doof Swagger. Would make a GREAT Haters Gonna Hate Gif.

Just saw the latest episode. earlier, just after seeing my post above, it seems they can still do regular routine episodes and still be funny. Although Delivery of Destiny was fun though. My initial thought was Jack Black doing the voice, but it turned out to be Christian Slater. All those little Love Handel songs.... Speaking of which, we're WAY overdue for a new CD soundtrack release.

Also next week's episode:

Evil Genius Baljeet? This oughta be good

pirata

Just saw the delivery guy episode. I've never really thought about it much before this episode, but deliver men do play a role in almost every episode. It was a lot of fun seeing the universe of the show through a completely different perspective. I love how they're constantly playing around with the series' formula.

Kangi

Hey, I have no idea how to use image editing stuff. If you can make something better, have at it.
I could probably take a shot at something if you want me to. To be quite honest, it isn't too complicated to make something that's better than what's there. Quick, sloppily-painted NeoGAF logo, some Phineas and Ferb-style text, a less fuzzy (though admittedly still kind of fuzzy) screenshot, and this is born:
blah2zyz8.png
I can probably make something more creative should I find myself in one of the fleeting moments of creativity I occasionally experience. Anyone who can create anything less amateur would definitely be better at this, though.

You're probably still going to have to think of something better for the OP itself. Something more informative/better laid out.

Also, after these few weeks of no episodes, a new episode is airing June 1st, and hopefully they will continue being weekly from that point. The summer months are coming, and summer is what this show does best.

FillerB

j254FIQz7JOCE.png

Still rather amateur (just slapped on the logo and the text) but I like to think it's pretty swell.

It's a shame this thread gets so little attention. I wonder why given that P&F is pretty much the best cartoon currently airing. Could it really be blamed on the erratic schedule for new episodes? Or is it just because it doesn't have such a rabid and dedicated fanbase as MLP does?

Kangi

http://i.minus.com/j254FIQz7JOCE.png[IMG]

Still rather amateur (just slapped on the logo and the text) but I like to think it's pretty swell.

It's a shame this thread gets so little attention. I wonder why given that P&F is pretty much the best cartoon currently airing. Could it really be blamed on the erratic schedule for new episodes? Or is it just because it doesn't have such a rabid and dedicated fanbase as MLP does?[/QUOTE]Ah, I thought about using that screenshot, too. Couldn't find a way to fit the text in without feeling cluttered, but that's a good way of doing it.

Well, about the attention thing. I've noticed a lot of people throughout the site who have said they watch it, or otherwise know about it. It may be a combination issue of not knowing about the thread, and there not being much to talk about. It's sort of, "Hey, it's that show!" and that's pretty much it. Some posts here in the thread even reflect that, just some type of hit-and-run "I know this exists and it's good."

That said, perhaps if we can keep this thread alive through discussion, we might be able to bring more attention to it. The "everyone watches it but no one talks about it" situation doesn't have to be the case. I can, say, talk about each recent episode and re-post news that the wikia posts to spark some discussion, but just as long as I don't wind up talking to myself.

And to be honest, the attention MLP gets is less a case of attention to the show itself and more of attention to the memes surrounding it. I'm sure there are some here better than that who do appreciate the show itself (although I've heard the second season was bleh), but it's not the case most of the time.

pirata

Isn't there supposed to be a real season finale this time? What are the chances of summer actually ending? We know that time has been advancing (slowly), since Rollercoaster was said to have taken place at "the beginning of summer" and that Summer Belongs to You took place at the exact mid-point of summer. Will there ever be a time-skip, I wonder?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Isn't there supposed to be a real season finale this time? What are the chances of summer actually ending? We know that time has been advancing (slowly), since Rollercoaster was said to have taken place at "the beginning of summer" and that Summer Belongs to You took place at the exact mid-point of summer. Will there ever be a time-skip, I wonder?

Either summer ends with the next season, or with this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1817232/

pirata

Oh, that's right, there's going to be a real theatrical movie! Isn't it supposed to be half-animated and half live action? How on earth will that work? Let me guess---either the boys or Doof create a machine that gives things another dimension?

woolley

It's a shame this thread gets so little attention. I wonder why given that P&F is pretty much the best cartoon currently airing. Could it really be blamed on the erratic schedule for new episodes? Or is it just because it doesn't have such a rabid and dedicated fanbase as MLP does?

I think it has to do more with the fact that the show doesn't really have an overarching story line so while it's a fun show to watch there isn't much substance to keep a discussion going.

Darkgran

Just watched about 6 episodes in a row with my son. I had seen most of them before, this show is genius...So many things I didn't catch the first time around. Show is absolutely brilliant.

Kangi

For those who use Twitter, mmonogram is the account for Swampy (co-creator of the show). He sometimes posts interesting tidbits such as screenshot teasers for upcoming episodes.

Oh, that's right, there's going to be a real theatrical movie! Isn't it supposed to be half-animated and half live action? How on earth will that work? Let me guess---either the boys or Doof create a machine that gives things another dimension?
It's been said that the movie will handle the animation and live action hybrid in a "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" style. Looking forward to what they come up with, since Roger Rabbit was awesome.

j254FIQz7JOCE.png

I like it, simple, but much better than the original image. I think having a character section and maybe a little description of the series (what it's about and who makes it) would work. I'd do it, but my capable PC is out for the count right now.

BTW, who is that next to Vanessa?

As to the lack of popularity, I think it's a mix of the erratic schedule and maybe the fact that it's on Disney Channel where there's pretty much nothing else worth watching on the channel. Though speaking of MLP fans, I got into Aquabats and Dan VS from being on the same channel as MLP and the little bit of crossover there. And there's Craig McCraken's Wonder over Yonder which might be the first worthwhile Disney Channel cartoon since P+F's debut and Lauren Faust will be working on that. Who knows.

I dunno it's weird how the general reaction to the show I see from a lot of people (outside this thread) is generally either "No don't like it." or "Oh yeah that show, yeah it's pretty funny"

I think it has to do more with the fact that the show doesn't really have an overarching story line so while it's a fun show to watch there isn't much substance to keep a discussion going.

EDIT: Yeah this too, but still it's not too different than what you'd find on "popular" networks like CN.

Also, finally collected the whole show via iunes. Feelsgoodman.

Kangi

The first new episode in a while just aired, and it's somewhat unfortunate that it was only a fifteen minute episode, with the other fifteen minutes of the time slot being filled with Fish Hooks. Fortunately, next week's episode seems to be the standard two segments. The show also seems to be returning to the 9:00 timeslot after spending a while in the 8:30 one; not sure what the motivation is behind continually flip-flopping when new episodes air.

The new episode, short as it felt due to there only being one, brought Irving back again. Though he as a character eternally walks a fine line between being annoying and being funny, he seems to have been funnier in this episode, with some bickering between he and Candace occurring (which brings back memories of "Moon Farm"). I suppose I'll take Irving over even more Baljeet and Buford. There were also a few "Phinbella"-teasing moments that I'm sure people will go nuts over: (screenshot)

Next week's episodes will bring a "Doofenshmirtz's dreams" plot and another alien-related episode. Meap cameo incoming? I hope.

Found on Toonzone today

Phineas and Ferb/Marvel crossover special confirmed at Las Vegas Licensing Expo for 2013.

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_c...ent-that-disney-has-planned.aspx#.T-KKMBevKSo

http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/6/2...ferb-to-cross-over-with-the-marvel-unive.html

It just says it'll be a programming event, could be a large number of things. A special crossover episode of P+F? A P+F cameo on Ultimate spider-man? I wouldn't mind either, but I'm hoping more for the former. Although iy could just be a couple of quirky little commercials too for all we know.

EDIT: I'm watching Nerdy Dancin' as I type this. Norm is so boss.

pirata

I'll try to update the OP...And by the way, how many episodes have aired since "Minor Monogram"? I don't have TV, so I rely on Netflix for my P&F fix, but it seems like it's been a few weeks since they posted any new episodes...

Disney likes to mix it up with either with single 15 minute episodes, or full 30 minute episodes. We've gotten

What a Croc (single)
Sleepwalking Surprise/Sci-fi Pie fly

and this Friday we're should be getting Sipping with the Enemy/Tri-State Treasure: Book of Secrets

pirata

Maybe Netflix will update tomorrow...it sucks being on a three-week or so delay, but not enough for me to miss TV that much.

I wonder if it runs similarly to iTunes which I have a Season Pass for. It seems for a lot of single episodes they might wait until two different episodes air and then bundle them. Like for the Temple of Juatchadoon, even though it aired on DC alongside Excaliferb, Tri-Stone Area, and Doof Dynasty, it wasn't actually released for a few months and then it was "bundled" with Agent Doof.

And while I've gotten Sleepwalking Surprise/Sci-fi Pie fly, I haven't actually gotten What a Croc yet.

Disney used to be on a 3-season/75 episode limit, didn't they? I wish Kim Possible had gone longer. The live-action shows are so uniformly terrible.

Maron

Disney used to be on a 3-season/75 episode limit, didn't they? I wish Kim Possible had gone longer. The live-action shows are so uniformly terrible.

65 episodes actually, mainly for syndication purposes. Kim Possible was one of the series that managed to survive past that when it got un-cancelled for a fourth season. KP had it's run, we don't need to see it continue past the graduation. People should just be grateful that they were given that final season in the first place.

The Marvel Crossover is going to be a full fledged special/TV Movie called "Phineas and Ferb: Mission Marvel"!

SAN DIEGO— Marvel superheroes like Spider-Man and Hulk are finally going to co-mingle with their corporate cousins.

The Disney Channel on Saturday plans to announce that production has started on “Phineas and Ferb: Mission Marvel,” an animated television special that will mark the first time that Marvel and Disney characters have appeared together since the Walt Disney Company bought Marvel for $4 billion in 2009. The long-rumored-about special will appear next summer. Fans attending a “Phineas and Ferb” panel at Comic-Con on Saturday will get a sneak peek.

Disney has moved slower than expected to integrate Marvel characters into its empire, but efforts appear to be accelerating. In April, a Marvel cartoon block started running on Disney XD, a cable channel aimed at boys. Last month, Disney-owned Club Penguin, an online world, allowed its subscribers to dress their penguin avatars in costumes from “Marvel’s The Avengers.” Earlier this month, Disney confirmed rumors that early development it has started on an animated movie centered on some of Marvel’s lesser-known superheroes known as Big Hero 6. (Sunfire, Hiro, Honey Lemon, Baymax and Go-Go Tamago for the initiated.) Disney’s chief executive, Robert A. Iger, has hinted about plans to weave Marvel characters into various theme parks.

In “Phineas and Ferb: Mission Marvel,” Spider-Man, Thor, Iron Man and Hulk arrive in town after their powers are accidentally removed by the evil Dr. Doofenshmirtz. Phineas and Ferb come to the rescue, and they work together to defeat some meddling Marvel villains, including Red Skull, Whiplash and Venom.

Also, I just got notification last night that "Where's Perry Pt 1" which I believe is supposed to be a big Season cliffhanger is up for download on iTunes. Haven't watched it yet.

So here's the P+F SDCC panel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2JyUbwEwi8

Worth a watch if you've got the time.

Notable things:

-They mention Mission Marvel and that Swampy is actually a huge expert/fan of Silver Surfer.
-The Theatrical Movie is mentioned and is said to be about the boys travelling to the real world as Animated characters ala Roger Rabbit
-A young fan asks about there being an episode featuring characters swapping personalities. It intrigues Dan and Swampy enough to say "Well there will be one now." I have to say it IS a pretty cool idea.
-Dan jokingly states that Vincent Martella (Phineas) is officially the voice of Peter the Panda

Also, how about that Cliffhanger episode? Was actually nice to hear Candace get a new solo song. Overall, very funny though.

Kangi

Also, how about that Cliffhanger episode? Was actually nice to hear Candace get a new solo song. Overall, very funny though.

Didn't hit the same level of awesome that Summer Belongs to You hit, but it was enjoyable and funny, nonetheless. Carl actually made a good villain, which makes me somewhat disappointed that he was simply hit by an -inator and wasn't actually conspiring this whole time for a right moment to strike. It'd be a heck of a twist, though it'd break the formula of the show, so I suppose it wouldn't be worth it.

However, am I the only one who notices that Ferb has really been disappearing in Phineas' shadow lately? He's always been the silent one, of course, but he does so little now (especially in comparison to Phineas, who keeps developing as a character) that it's honestly hard to remember he's there until the inevitable gag that actually includes him.

Didn't hit the same level of awesome that Summer Belongs to You hit, but it was enjoyable and funny, nonetheless. Carl actually made a good villain, which makes me somewhat disappointed that he was simply hit by an -inator and wasn't actually conspiring this whole time for a right moment to strike. It'd be a heck of a twist, though it'd break the formula of the show, so I suppose it wouldn't be worth it.

However, am I the only one who notices that Ferb has really been disappearing in Phineas' shadow lately? He's always been the silent one, of course, but he does so little now (especially in comparison to Phineas, who keeps developing as a character) that it's honestly hard to remember he's there until the inevitable gag that actually includes him.

Yeah they seemed to be doing something with him and Vanessa and then someone must've told them to drop it ("its underage and WRONG"), and they did... and now it's like they just don't know what to do with him.

Kangi

This is from an upcoming episode. Yes, it warrants bumping this thread for.

pnf__gangman_style_animated__by_withloveme-d5muv8z.gif

Nothing prepared me for this.

YES!

And while the thread is bumped...

Blackout was a very fun episode. Both animation and writing wise, it was just very very interesting setup.

Also the movie has been delayed to 2014.

And one of the writers tweeted this

StarWarsPnF.jpg

I'd find it funny if Disney trolled SW fans by touting this as the first Disney/Star Wars crossover, pretty sure it's just a joke though.

Bring on the Gangnam Style!

NEO0MJ

For fans of the show, at which episode does it "click"? I've been considering watching it but from what I saw of it before (never watched a full episode, just peeks when my lil bro is watching it) it didn't seem that good.

hiro4

For fans of the show, at which episode does it "click"? I've been considering watching it but from what I saw of it before (never watched a full episode, just peeks when my lil bro is watching it) it didn't seem that good.

Watch a full episode. They aren't that long.
Also my first Phineas and Ferb ep was with the thumb wrestling Raging Bully and that didn't click either for me. I still think it is one of the weakest eps.

I guess 'S Winter and Dude we're getting the band back together did it for me.
Love Handel is the best.

Kangi

Watch a full episode. They aren't that long.
Also my first Phineas and Ferb ep was with the thumb wrestling Raging Bully and that didn't click either for me. I still think it is one of the weakest eps.
Raging Bully is my least favorite episode. What an episode to pick as your first.

The show "clicked" for me around Summer Belongs to You. Before that, watching the show was a passing interest. Anything season two and onward will probably get you hooked, though. Maybe the Love Handel episode, too.

hiro4

Raging Bully is my least favorite episode. What an episode to pick as your first.

Well I didnt pick it, was watching Disney channel with my son when that episode came up. It also made me confused when Buford was considered a friend in other episodes.

pirata

"Dude, We're Getting the Band Back Together!" is fantastic. And yeah, "Raging Bully" isn't good. "Tri-Stone Area" is great if you want to see just how crazy and meta the show can get, but you might need to watch a few episodes first before you really get what the hell's going on. Honestly, the third season has been mostly fantastic, so just start watching a few episodes and see if anything clicks.

Sorry I've been neglecting this thread. Super effing busy. I'll try to update the OP as soon as things quiet down.

Mariolee

It clicked upon watching three episodes, and realizing that most of the jokes are "in jokes" sort of like Arrested Development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom