• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

selo

Finished case 1
It was surprisingly long for a first case, and like people have said, super high stakes! with the whole ACDC act (or whatever :p).

I liked the twists it had, but the guy with the guitar was kind of annoying. It did make me laugh when he would rub the guitar against the speaker, haha, looked very innappropiate.

Im currently on case 2 (right at the checkpoint)
It was pretty obvious the bonny girl was suspicious, hopefully further cases are not as obvious as to who is the guilty person. Looks to be good though, looking forward to finishing this case tomorrow

8:50 hours in already on the first day of playing :O, good stuff

javadoze

Finished case 3.

All I have to say is damn that case was good (never mind the bad name puns).

Thank goodness the dev team had the restraint to not give a usual killer breakdown at the end there.

About to get to the court sequence in Case 2. Does the performance of the game bother anyone else? Everything seems rather sluggish, from examining to dusting for fingerprints. I've already turned off the 3D, too. I'm on the OG 3DS.

GSR

About to get to the court sequence in Case 2. Does the performance of the game bother anyone else? Everything seems rather sluggish, from examining to dusting for fingerprints. I've already turned off the 3D, too. I'm on the OG 3DS.

It's not just you, and it's like that on N3DS as well. A shame given how DD and DGS were both fairly solid framerate-wise.

ZeroX03

Banned
I remember both Dual Destinies and Layton vs. Wright having problems.

It's a visual novel, so it's the smallest of deals, but it was certainly noticeable.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, it's been bothering me a bit sometimes, too. I noticed it most when dusting for fingerprints. I imagine it might be GPU-related, since I can't think of how this game would be CPU limited, which would mean (according to my ignorant self) n3DS enhancements likely wouldn't have helped. I think I remember reading they're using better models this time around, so maybe they were really pushing the limits of the system. Some of the models and effects really are quite good and have been impressing me. I suppose this might be the result of balancing the gap that has formed between what smartphones and 3DS can do as the years have passed. Thankfully, since it's a mostly text adventure/visual novel game, it doesn't bother me too much. But that fingerprint part was rough.

I never thought I'd say this, but NX can't come soon enough for AA.

syncyes

After being pretty meh on Case 1, I heartily enjoyed Case 2!

Loved the twins' dynamic, haha. The new prosecutor has very pretty animations. It cracked me up a bit that Apollo apparently has a mysterious past with the prosecutor.

Finished case 3.

All I have to say is damn that case was good (never mind the bad name puns).

Thank goodness the dev team had the restraint to not give a usual killer breakdown at the end there.

Case 3 is amazing. This legitimately is the best non-finale case in any of the PW games.

It's not just you, and it's like that on N3DS as well. A shame given how DD and DGS were both fairly solid framerate-wise.

Yeah, it's been bothering me a bit sometimes, too. I noticed it most when dusting the fingerprints. I imagine it might be GPU-related, since I can't think of how this game would be CPU limited, which would mean (according to my ignorant self) n3DS enhancements likely wouldn't have helped. I think I remember reading they're using better models this time around, so maybe they were really pushing the limits of the system. Some of the models and effects really are quite good and have been impressing me. I suppose this might be the result of balancing the gap that has formed between what smartphones and 3DS can do as the years have passed. Thankfully, since it's a mostly text adventure/visual novel game, it doesn't bother me too much. But that fingerprint part was rough.

I never thought I'd say this, but NX can't come soon enough for AA.

Yeah, it's strange. I haven't played Dual Destinies in ages, but I don't see noticeable improvements in Spirit of Justice graphically, so it's weird that the performance is reduced. It's a shame because I used to be really tolerant of frame rate and performance in general, but after playing so many 60 fps games lately, I'm a lot more sensitive to lower frame rates these days.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
At Case 2 checkpoint now.

I like this the best out of any post AA3 game so far. And I liked AA4 and AA5 a lot. Everything feels high stakes from the very beginning, and there's an added level of freshness with the Khura'in (SP?) stuff that makes the game feel new despite being, well... the sixth in its series.

I like how Athena is pure support now. Good. AA games only ever need two playable characters, tops. On that note, the Phoenix/Apollo split is still amazing. They're similar characters, but inverse in many ways (Apollo being outright goofy and internally more serious, and Phoenix being the opposite), and it shows when you play cases as either character, back to back.

The puns are beyond cringeworthy to the point where they're so bad that they're hilarious. Not sure if I'm a fan of that or not, haha.

protonion

Just finished case 2. The investigation was boring and long but the trial part was great. I loved the final evidence part. Very clever!

The prosecutor is lame though. All talk and no substance. After his intro I thought he'd be the real deal. He felt more like a spectator...

Much better than aa5 so far.

NotLiquid

Case 2 was amazing. Definitely a worthy successor of Apollo Justice. This was a case that particular section of the series sorely needed and I'm glad that it finally made me actually care about Trucy instead of the game having to assume our investment due to her being a bubbly sidekick.

I particularly liked that the case didn't go on for longer than it needed to. I thought that the investigation at first felt too long winded since I expected two days of investigation but the fact that the entire trial wraps up in a day was a pleasant surprise. In hindsight this case had some really good pacing.

MrBadger

Case 3 done. Colour me impressed. So far, this game hasn't fallen into DD's traps of feeling overly drawn out and having characters,
especially the killers,
with barely any personality besides being a walking punchline. Besides the first killer of course, but that's to be expected. So far case 1 is the only case I've been meh on, but that's again to be expected. I'm not a huge fan of the insight system though. I found the insight in case 3 a bit annoying because the real scenario was incredibly obvious, but proving it by matching up statements instead of presenting evidence was a bit tedious in my opinion. Still don't really like Nahyuta either.

And now onto case 4 -
Turnabout Who Fucking Cares featuring Athena Cykes.
Actually kind of looking forward to this one,
it'll be nice to have a more fun, lighthearted case before shit hits the fan. I already knew it was a filler case but after case 2, and beginning it in the courtroom, I don't expect it to outstay its welcome.

How is the new cornered?

Much more exciting than DD's, but not quite as good as AA1 or AAI2.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Case 2 -
The figure on stage is Mr. Hat, right? Then why isn't it accepting that answer? HOW CAN I BE WRONG?

MrBadger

I mentioned this briefly in PoliGAF, but I'll elaborate more here: Roger Retinz is totally Donald Trump:
* Only cares about TV ratings
* Gambling-themed architecture
* Tasteless and tacky
* Addicted to posting stuff on social media
* Likes to show off how wealthy he is
(case 2 spoilers follow)
* Pulls cons on people
* Kicks people off their property
* Holds long-standing grudges against people
* A villain

Nah, he's more of the trashy Youtube Personality
"just a prank bro!"
type.

But tbh, he's (case 2 and mild Apollo Justice spoilers)
just another victim of Troupe Gramarye ruining people's careers for no reason. "Integrity of magicians" my ass, firing someone over a small injury is almost as bad as firing someone over poker.

NotLiquid

Case 2 -
The figure on stage is Mr. Hat, right? Then why isn't it accepting that answer? HOW CAN I BE WRONG?

This is a case of the game only accepting one answer due to the way it's written, but if you want a hint you're meant to point to a specific phenomenon rather than the prop itself, since that's what's more important.

SolVanderlyn

Try looking for something that's exactly like the shadow.

This is a case of the game only accepting one answer due to the way it's written, but if you want a hint you're meant to point to a specific phenomenon rather than the prop itself, since that's what's more important.
I'm really dumb. I don't see any shadows on the ground or anything. I've gotten six game overs and I've never had trouble in an AA game before.

Edit: Wait, I got it. I thought that WAS the figure they were talking about! What's the "shadowy figure," then?

MrBadger

I'm really dumb. I don't see any shadows on the ground or anything. I've gotten six game overs and I've never had trouble in an AA game before.

Edit: Wait, I got it. I thought that WAS the figure they were talking about! What's the "shadowy figure," then?

If you're at the point I think you are, I believe the answer is that
you see a shadow rise up after Trucy reappears and you see another rise up after the dragon falls. I know the answer is that you have to select a shadow rather than Mr Hat because I fell for that point too.

You're not wrong, the AA6 version is particularly awesome. I've always been a huge fan of his theme though.

You can grab free costume DLC currently, from the extras menu in the main menu.

I just boot up the game for the first time and there is no option for extras, only new game and options. where do you download the dlc?

Case 2 was a loooot better than Case 1, I'm in agreement with some that Case 1 turned into something of a slog without enough meat to warrant it.
I feared Case 2 might overextend itself but it actually managed itself pretty well.

*Case 2 structure and story spoilers*
One slightly longer investigation segment and one slightly longer court segment and that was it, what a nice change of pace after the series has almost consistently gone with two day trials for the longest time (if there's an investigation phase). I kept expecting the game to find a way to throw a spanner in the works in court so you'd have to go do more sleuthing but instead it just all came together in the one day of court without feeling overly long, certainly explains why I felt I walked into the first court bit with more evidence than usual for this point.
Also left enough little plot points so that even with the lack of characters and a rather expected villain it still had some nice swerves and mystery to it.

Honestly wish this was just Apollo at this point, back with Wright and Maya and I'm just feeling like I'd rather be sticking with the AA4 cast.

NotLiquid

Oh god I love Rayfa lol

I expected her nobility to be played straight but finding out in Case 1 as well as early Case 3 that she's a bit of a brat is the cutest thing.

SolVanderlyn

This series has too many magical girl assistant types.

Genio88

I've been playing it like crazy since release, right now i'm in the second investigation day of case 3....So far i'm enjoying it more than AA Dual Destinies, still sometime it takes too long explaining thing already known, though that's how this serie is always been

Reached a checkpoint on Case 3,
Day 2 investigations now. I did not expect to be found guilty on day 1, I thought I did something wrong and it was a fail state but no. The seance vision(or however its called) gave me some trouble but I got through it eventually.

Right now there's literally only one suspect for me and it's the wife, since the other person I suspected just died. So unless they're going to introduce someone else this is really obvious.

Genio88

Reached a checkpoint on Case 3,
Day 2 investigations now. I did not expect to be found guilty on day 1, I thought I did something wrong and it was a fail state but no. The seance vision(or however its called) gave me some trouble but I got through it eventually.

Right now there's literally only one suspect for me and it's the wife, since the other person I suspected just died. So unless they're going to introduce someone else this is really obvious.

Yep, funny thing about that was
While I was in the middle of the day 1 trial for case 3 I was thinking to myself"shame that I already know i'm gonna obtain a No Guilty verdict in the end, they should make Phoenix loose sometime..." and then the trial ends like that! of course though i'm sure in the end i'll prove Maya innocence in the day two trial

I've been binging and reached case 5 already, and... (vague character spoilers)
Has anyone bothered making a family tree of how exactly everyone is related yet? It's getting rather confusing...

I've been binging and reached case 5 already, and... (vague character spoilers)
Has anyone bothered making a family tree of how exactly everyone is related yet? It's getting rather confusing...

Case 5:
Assuming you mean on Apollo's side of things and that you've played AJ: Apollo and Trucy share a mother, Thalassa Gramarye, better known as Lamiroir. Apollo's biological father is the guy in the photo you receive at the start of the case while Trucy's is Zak Gramarye. Both of the siblings lose their fathers and Lamiroir goes missing. Trucy is adopted by Phoenix and Apollo by Dhurke. Dhurke's biological son is Nayuta. To this day, they do not know they are siblings. I haven't finished the case so I'm not sure if this is developed upon, but this is the state at the start of case 5.

So yeah, confusing!

syncyes

Case 3 investigation spoilers

I anticipated the Rayfa being your assistant bit as soon as Ahlbi didn't go to the crime scene with Phoenix--and I loved it! Rayfa's blushing in rage animation is the cutest things ever.

Beginning of Case 5:
For fucks sake, can we just let Apollo and Trucy know that they are siblings already? This stuff with Dhurke is really making it creepy.

So far I'm quit enjoying the game, though
Nahyuta really gets around. I feel like case 4 should have had a different prosecutor.

MegaMelon

Case 5

End of Investigation Day 1 Spoilers

Apollo vs Phoenix. Edgeworth was mentioned as well. This is gonna be intense.

Zalman

Finished case 2. So awesome. Loving this game.
While AA4 is my least-favorite game in the series that made some questionable decisions, I'm glad to see them pick up some of the plot-points from it.

tookhster

Damn, I didn't realize this already came out!

I think I've been out of the loop because the whole Khura'in focus kind of turned me off, because the Khura'in cases in the previous games were my least favorite cases.

I really liked DD though, and the impressions for this game seem good. Does it still feel like the other games even with all the spirit stuff? I've only watched the first trailer a long time ago so I'm trying to go in as blind as possible.

rekameohs

Banned
How is the new cornered?
It's probably my least favorite of the series, but most of the other tracks are really, really awesome. Might be my favorite OST of the series when all is said and done.

Finished Case 2 Investigation Day 1. That was....long. Good, but I don't think I've seen a single investigation segment, no "To be continued" that long! Having the Examine everywhere option is oh-so-welcome, too.

ZeroX03

Banned
Damn, I didn't realize this already came out!

I think I've been out of the loop because the whole Khura'in focus kind of turned me off, because the Khura'in cases in the previous games were my least favorite cases.

I really liked DD though, and the impressions for this game seem good. Does it still feel like the other games even with all the spirit stuff? I've only watched the first trailer a long time ago so I'm trying to go in as blind as possible.

You're thinking of Kurain, not Khura'in. It's new to this game.

So far I've felt the spirit stuff has felt more fresh than a rehash.

Lusankya

In the middle of case 5. The pacing of the game is weird, because (game structure spoilers)
while there are 5 cases there are actually 8 murders and they're basically separate cases. So we mostly have quite long investigations and quite long trial sessions.

It's really looking great so far, because I expect
Maya to channel at least one person and I am eager to see teh animations. She should at least summon the holy mother but maybe the assassinated queen as well.

Top Bottom