• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical games - best and worst publishers?

Edit: I’ll update OP with publisher list

I’ve seen a lot of arguments on here lately about buying physical games being pointless now due to the full game not being on the disc. But how common is this?

- Which publishers are best at putting the entire game on disc and in a polished state?

- Which publishers release games in an often buggy state requiring patches?

- Who are the worst offenders for putting a download code in the box/disc?

Best/worst offenders

Nintendo - full game on cartridge

Activision - Downloads required (COD)
Ubisoft - Downloads required (Star Wars)

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Nintendo has to be one of the best, can’t recall if I’ve ever bought a game that wasn’t fully available on the cartridge itself from them.

Not sure about the worst but I will say that I absolutely hate it when publishers create a special/limited edition and the full game isn’t even included on a disc. Even worse is when they also include steelbook cases.. Why? To store something that isn’t even included? Just punch me in the gut and spit in my face while you’re at it.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Activision is the worst. They have required a content download for many disc based games on Playstation and Xbox. Ubisoft recently did this with Star Wars Outlaws as well. I think those are the only publishers doing this on Xbox and Playstation at the moment, and it shouldn't be allowed on physical media by Sony and Microsoft in my opinion.

Sony release some of their games on multiple Bluray discs, so they are pretty good.

Last edited:
Activision. I'm pretty sure they are the only publisher doing this on Playstation and Xbox.

Sony releases some of their games on multiple Bluray discs, so they are pretty good.

Which of the 3 do they do? I’ve not bought an Activision game since the Crash trilogy.

Gamezone

Gold Member
1. Full game on disc
2. Patch required for serious bugs
3. No game on disc (download link)

Activision requires content download for their COD games on Xbox and Playstation. Even for single player. Ubisoft did the same thing for Star Wars Outlaws. I can't think of any physical games on Xbox and Playstation that only comes with a download link.

Activision requires content download for their COD games on Xbox and Playstation. Even for single player. Ubisoft did the same thing for Star Wars Outlaws. I can't think of any physical games on Xbox and Playstation that only comes with a download link.

2 added to the sinners list then

I'm nobody

Best Physical Game Publishers

* Nintendo: Known for their first-party exclusives and innovative titles, Nintendo consistently delivers high-quality physical games across various genres.

* Square Enix: With a strong legacy of RPGs and action-adventure titles, Square Enix is often praised for their storytelling and immersive gameplay.

* FromSoftware: Renowned for their challenging and rewarding action RPGs, FromSoftware has a dedicated fanbase who appreciate their unique approach to game design.

* Bandai Namco: Offering a wide range of genres, Bandai Namco is known for their iconic franchises and commitment to physical releases.

* Capcom: With a focus on action and horror games, Capcom has a strong reputation for delivering polished and enjoyable experiences.

Worst Physical Game Publishers (Based on Recent Perceptions)

* Electronic Arts (EA): While EA has produced many popular games, their business practices and microtransactions have drawn criticism from some gamers.

* Activision Blizzard: Recent controversies and allegations have tarnished their reputation, leading to concerns about the quality and ethical implications of their games.
* Ubisoft: While Ubisoft has released many successful franchises, some players have criticized their repetitive gameplay and reliance on microtransactions.

* Bethesda: While Bethesda is known for their open-world RPGs, some fans have expressed disappointment with recent releases and perceived quality issues.

* Telltale Games: While they were once praised for their interactive storytelling, financial difficulties and inconsistent quality have led to a decline in their reputation.

Last edited:
Best Physical Game Publishers
* Nintendo: Known for their first-party exclusives and innovative titles, Nintendo consistently delivers high-quality physical games across various genres.
* Square Enix: With a strong legacy of RPGs and action-adventure titles, Square Enix is often praised for their storytelling and immersive gameplay.
* FromSoftware: Renowned for their challenging and rewarding action RPGs, FromSoftware has a dedicated fanbase who appreciate their unique approach to game design.
* Bandai Namco: Offering a wide range of genres, Bandai Namco is known for their iconic franchises and commitment to physical releases.
* Capcom: With a focus on action and horror games, Capcom has a strong reputation for delivering polished and enjoyable experiences.
Worst Physical Game Publishers (Based on Recent Perceptions)
* Electronic Arts (EA): While EA has produced many popular games, their business practices and microtransactions have drawn criticism from some gamers.
* Activision Blizzard: Recent controversies and allegations have tarnished their reputation, leading to concerns about the quality and ethical implications of their games.
* Ubisoft: While Ubisoft has released many successful franchises, some players have criticized their repetitive gameplay and reliance on microtransactions.
* Bethesda: While Bethesda is known for their open-world RPGs, some fans have expressed disappointment with recent releases and perceived quality issues.
* Telltale Games: While they were once praised for their interactive storytelling, financial difficulties and inconsistent quality have led to a decline in their reputation.

Great post but the question is, of these which provide the full game on the disc and which just have a wrapper for a download?

It’s a thread about physical game preservation more than anything else.

I agree with your list in terms of game quality though. As far as I’m concerned western studios (outside of Sony) have gone to shit this generation while Japanese publishers are thriving.

Last edited:
Top Bottom