• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

Budr

iAAZ2MpXTZdEa.gif

Clicked on the off chance, saw the title, Ctrl-w.

Heh, my girlfriend has a very strong fear of caterpillars. So much so, that she can't even look a pic of them. I have arachnophobia to some extent, but it doesn't prevent me from being fascinated by the creatures.

is it a phobia then? there is a difference between "ugh i hate spiders" and a phobia.

Melchiah

Some castles...

6nnzN.jpg

Oravský Zámok (Orava Castle), Slovakia
Orova Castle is situated on a high rock above Orava river and built in the Kingdom of Hungary in the 13th century. This shot is part of the castle complex. Orova Castle is where many scenes of the 1922 film Nosferatu were filmed, although until recently was thought to have been shot in Transylvania. © Grzegorz Formicki

c8hWC.jpg

TxLdE.jpg

The Hunyad Castle, Transylvania.
Supposed place where Vlad III of Wallachia (commonly known as Vlad the Impaler) was held prisoner. The Hunyad Castle is sometimes mentioned as a source of inspiration for Bram Stoker's Castle Dracula.

rfs7B.jpg

Swallow's Nest, near Crimea - a Republic of Southern Ukraine.
Swallow's Nest is a tiny medieval castle which may seem small and unobtrusive (the building itself is tiny, just 20m long and 10m wide), but has been featured in many books and short brochures linked to crime and mystery. The castle was built in the early twentieth century between 1911 and 1912 on a cliff that juts out over the Black Sea.

ipZsh.jpg

eoOId.jpg

Predjamski Castle built within a cave mouth in southwestern Slovenia.

tG9MU.jpg

The Fortress Hohenwerfen Castle (Burg Hohenwerfen), Austria.

JJg0u.jpg

The Tatev Monastery, Syunik Province, southern Armenia.

conrad_heyer.jpg

I’ve written about the first photograph of a human being, here is another old photograph that has historical significance in an obscure way. The fine gentleman above is Conrad Heyer, this picture was taken circa 1852. He was approximately 103 when photographed, having been born in 1749. He was reportedly the first white child born in Waldoboro, Maine, then a German immigrant community. He served in the Continental Army under George Washington during the Revolutionary War, crossing the Delaware with him and fighting in other major battles. He eventually bought a farm and retired to Waldoboro, where he happily regaled visitors with tales of his Revolutionary War exploits until his dying day.

Conrad’s life sounds sounds like an historical footnote for sure, but this is not a Revolutionary War post, and isn’t what I find of interest in this particular photograph. It’s the venerable Mr Heyer’s age I find of interest, or more accurately, his date of birth. By being born in 1749, he may very well be the earliest born human being ever photographed. There weren’t any pictures taken in 1749, but at least we have a picture of someone who was there. In some small way, this picture is a real connection with that long ago era.

article, plus other historical photos

TimeLike

http://unitedcats.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/conrad_heyer.jpg?w=700/IMG]

[URL="http://unitedcats.wordpress.com/2008/01/08/the-worlds-first-eyewitness/"]article[/URL], plus other historical photos[/QUOTE]

Wow if that's true, then that is really cool. A photo of someone who served in the Revolutionary War? Amazing!

That looks really great. What's going on with the village mob surrounding the front-most house, though?

I could be wrong but very likely that's just a line of tourists? I Googled around and found out that's Shirakawa Village, often voted the most beautiful village in Japan. The homes in the area are part of a UNESCO World Heritage site with the largest, Wadake Home, being the building all the people are lined up around. Kind of interesting to Google around and read up about the place.

Pro

Is that Aguirre quoted pic Yokosuka? One of the places I've been and it looks like it with the hills in the back and the uphill road.

Loxley

That's a good one as well.

I've got good memories from visiting several castles along Rhine in Germany, with my parents when I was a child.
I swear one day I'm going to full-fill my lifelong dream of going to Europe/the UK and seeing as many castles as I possibly can.

Especially Neuschwanstein. After learning about it (and "Crazy King Ludwig") in one of my German classes in high school, I've always wanted to go there.

neuschwansteincastlewal.jpg

I'll also throw in Eilean Donan castle in Scotland. Gorgeous.

16554original1322310050.jpg

If there's one thing that I lament the US not having that older countries do, it's castles.

Melchiah

I swear one day I'm going to full-fill my lifelong dream of going to Europe/the UK and seeing as many castles as I possibly can.

Especially Neuschwanstein. After learning about it (and "Crazy King Ludwig") in one of my German classes in high school, I've always wanted to go there.

Visiting UK is also in my plans. If you want to see castles, I recommend Rhine/Germany.

qjSxa.gif

Scuderia

Visiting UK is also in my plans. If you want to see castles, I recommend Rhine/Germany.

I've only recently begun to appreciate Castles and their histories, i'd love to visit some of the European ones.

There's 2 castles within a few miles of where i live (Yorkshire, England), one is in a very bad condition though, the other isn't too bad:

All that is left of the first (11th Century i think)

800px-SandalCastleWall.jpg

The second (12th Century)

800px-Conisbrough_Castle_Doncaster_winter_time.jpg

Apologies for the poor pics

Melchiah

^ Seems like they've been under bombardment. =)

EDIT: This sea fortress is located near me. We tend to visit there every summer.

rPoR9.jpg

2vErS.jpg

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
yLFUQ.jpg

Marieta Islands, Mexico.

My first thought on seeing that is that it's full of crazy underground bugs, meaner than the ones we get up here. Myabe they're buried in the sand, and when you walk over them they have stingers on their thoraxes and poison you.

Nature freaks me out man.

TCRS

Banned
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m639mnpYu61qkjo6mo1_500.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Beautiful. I found this documentary yesterday:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SK7C9mvYf0]Journeys in Japan - Life in Deep Snow[/url]

(the guy is a bit annoying)

Top Bottom