• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
anyone else getting an update today? wonder what that's about?

edit: seems like it's leaderboards

Keio

For a Finer World
Downloading now, GAME sorted it out. Of course ended up with two download codes, put the other one up for sale in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread...

Will post first impressions soon.

LAA

Got pikmin 3 this morning!
Got up to Day 10 from what I played, really enjoying it! I definitely like it more than Pikmin 1/2 atm. I was worried about Pikmin 3 being "stressful", as what miyamoto said he wanted it to be, and yes while he has added stress, not nearly as much stress as Pikmin 1, where if you messed up, you would have to play the whole game again, which is a nightmare really. You just need to make sure you have enough "Juice", one per day so you can continue to the next day, which adds some stress if you're low, but not to the point where it puts me off the game.

Also loving the gamepad/wiimote + Nunchuk combo. I think the gamepad does add value to this game actually, just to see how to get to some area, or to make someone go somewhere while you do something else. However... where does Miyamoto want me to put this gamepad? Yeah I have the premium version, so I can just put it on the stand, (Which I feel is really needed when looking at the map while playing at times), but where the hell am I supposed to put the stand and the gamepad? I just had it on my bed while playing, but that isnt ideal to everyone.
As much as I think the Gamepad does add value to this game, I also think they literally could have implemented it using the Wiimote + nunchuk by just pressing some buttons and making a mini map in one of the corners, and it wouldnt have worked better and less awkwardly. Maybe m opinion of it will change over time, I dont really mind it really, but it smells of awkwardness to me...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The "Go there" function on the gamepad map saved me a hefty amount of pikmins couple of times. Plus, I think the map with the touch moving to check everything while you see the large view on the screen it is great and very useful. I doubt a pause menu map on screen would have been the same.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, this game will keep me busy for a while. tremendous replay value in perfecting all those little things :) you can multitask pretty effectively with the go-to function

So, appearently this game has no true 5.1 sound, but 2.0 with the other speakers muted.

Lovely game Nintendo, but f*ck you for this.

Pretty sure this game was confirmed as having true 5.1 audio from the Japanese version. I think it even says so on the back of the box. Maybe your set up is wack?

Amazon got it to me on Wednesday, (which is surprising as I live in NI) and I've played maybe around 10 days so far. Really good fun, I really love the whole Pikmin charm.

Though I'm still wrapping my head on the hole captain swapping malarkey. I feel bad, it took me 3 days to
reunite Alph and Brittany in the Tundra level.

Yeah, this does not sound true at all. The box says 5.1, and someone has reported hearing things in their back speakers. Definitely check your setup.

Although my Denon shows the typical Multi In for LPCM 5.1, this game definitely is 2.0 only.
Silence from center, surround and sub.
My sub actually didn´t even turn on during my playtime, meaning there is no LFE channel.
Voices coming from the L/R speakers is further evidence, that this game does not support 5.1.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Although my Denon shows the typical Multi In for LPCM 5.1, this game definitely is 2.0 only.
Silence from center, surround and sub.
My sub actually didn´t even turn on during my playtime, meaning there is no LFE channel.
Voices coming from the L/R speakers is further evidence, that this game does not support 5.1.

Is your Wii U is actually set to surround in the settings? I seem to remember hearing that when it's set on stereo it still outputs 5.1 LPCM, but just 2 channels of audio in it. Maybe.

Anyone else with the game able to confirm/deny 5.1? And be sure that you aren't just having your receiver mix a 2.0 into fake surround.

Is your Wii U is actually set to surround in the settings? I seem to remember hearing that when it's set on stereo it still outputs 5.1 LPCM, but just 2 channels of audio in it. Maybe.

Anyone else with the game able to confirm/deny 5.1? And be sure that you aren't just having your receiver mix a 2.0 into fake surround.

Hehe, no i´m sure.
I know how my AVR works. ;)

When it´s set to Stereo it correctly outputs only two channels and i can use Pro Logic/DTS Neo.
Now with this fake 5.1 stream i´m stuck with muted channels.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Hehe, no i´m sure.
I know how my AVR works. ;)

Well the fake-surround part was more for anyone else checking.

But yeah it is just very hard to believe. The previous Pikmin games supported Pro Logic II, it's not like surround sound is a new concept for the series. I find it VERY difficult to believe that it's stereo-only, especially when it's such an environmental-audio kind of game. There's gotta be something wrong in your setup.

Cause if there's not, hoooo boy.

[Edit] Have you tried to produce any explicitly-surround sounds? Like blow up a bomb off-camera behind the screen, stuff like that. I remember doing that to test out the pro logic in Twilight Princess way back.

Well the fake-surround part was more for anyone else checking.

But yeah it is just very hard to believe. The previous Pikmin games supported Pro Logic II, it's not like surround sound is a new concept for the series. I find it VERY difficult to believe that it's stereo-only, especially when it's such an environmental-audio kind of game. There's gotta be something wrong in your setup.

Cause if there's not, hoooo boy.

I can feel you, i was diasappointed too.

I just tested with ZombiU, which actually has true 5.1 sound and of course it´s working normal.
Edit] Have you tried to produce any explicitly-surround sounds? Like blow up a bomb off-camera behind the screen, stuff like that. I remember doing that to test out the pro logic in Twilight Princess way back.
So far i only played the first 2 days, but immediately when the game intro (with a narrator) started and the voice was not coming from the center, i knew something was off.
Will play more tonight and report back if this game suddenly becomes surround. ;)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So far i only played the first 2 days, but immediately when the game intro (with a narrator) started and the voice was not coming from the center, i knew something was off.
Will play more tonight and report back if this game suddenly becomes surround. ;)

Hopefully it's just some stupid mixing where they don't put voice in the center channel.

But we'll see. D:

I can feel you, i was diasappointed too.

I just tested with ZombiU, which actually has true 5.1 sound and of course it´s working normal.

Wow, that would be weird.. And fucked up. I want to hear those garden sounds in 5.1 surround.
In fact, this should be be very noticable to most people playing the game, right?

Reposted from IronGAF

Tonight is the European release of Pikmin 3 a game of one of my favorite franchises.

In the game the inhabitants of the planet Koppai has to search the outer space for food resources when they stumble upon planet PNF-404. On PNF-404 they discover some strange beings...

Could it be, that by chance my back garden is actually PNF-404? This is what I discovered outside:

pikmincupcakes1.jpg

pikmincupcakes2.jpg

pikmincupcakes3.jpg

Apparently these plant sprouts are living creatures called Pikmin! They come in many colors and are great at working together. But PNF-404 also hosts other beings, much larger, and much more ferocious. A Hairy Bulborb approached a white Pikmin and gulped it up in one bite! It was a horrible sight to be seen.

pikmincupcakes4.jpg

None the less I joined in and ate some of the other Pikmins. Apparently the white and purple pikmin taste like chocolate and elderflower. The red and pink ones taste like raspberry. The yellow tastes like lemon. And finally the blue tastes like rum.

JoeM86

Been playing this most of the day. Great game, but I have one complaint.

The day/night cycle. It's just too short to do what I want to do within it :/

Zane

Okay I'm stuck again. I'm on the fourth level, the tropical island type area. I need to
find Olimar
and I can't figure out where to go. I beat up a daddy long legs and I'm also trying to find a way to build the shortcut bridge back to my ship. There's all this fruit in one spot but no way to bring it back to the ship. Can someone help?

ASIS

I thought he did tbh, he is making a new IP which was rumoured to be his final game.

Obviously he will still help and advise but I imagine large Pikmin like projects are a thing of the past.

What?.. That is sad actually. Makes Pikmin 3 all that valuable really.

Robin64

What? This game has proper 5.1

When the Pikmin are ahead, I hear them from the front speakers. When behind, I hear them from the rear ones. There's true surround sound here.

NintendoLand and New Super Mario Bros. U are 2.0, yes, but Pikmin 3 is 5.1.

zroid

Banned

When the Pikmin are ahead, I hear them from the front speakers. When behind, I hear them from the rear ones. There's true surround sound here.

Well good to know. Hopefully I won't experience the apparent technical difficulties which are causing it to be stuck at 2.0.

What about ambient and enemy sounds? Seems like you should be able to hear those through all the speakers too.

LAA

Okay I'm stuck again. I'm on the fourth level, the tropical island type area. I need to
find Olimar
and I can't figure out where to go. I beat up a daddy long legs and I'm also trying to find a way to build the shortcut bridge back to my ship. There's all this fruit in one spot but no way to bring it back to the ship. Can someone help?

Same are you Zane!
Literally been looking all over the map, even restarted my first day in this part of the game, cause I just wasted the whole day looking for a way to get there without getting any fruit/getting pikmin killed.

If you figure it out, or anyone else knows, I'd definitely appreciate help!

EDIT:... Sigh, as soon as I went back to look at the map, I think I found how you get to where you're supposed to go...
Past the waterfall, theres a part where you can "throw captains and pikmin" to a tree stump", theres actually a place beyond the tree stump you can further progress

Robin64

It says the sensor bar must be connected when you start the game.

Ohh, the sensor bar. Yeah, so that it can find "home". It uses it as a rough guide as to which direction your TV is.

What about ambient and enemy sounds? Seems like you should be able to hear those through all the speakers too.

Also great. You can tell which direction an enemy is in from the noise.

Zane

Same are you Zane!
Literally been looking all over the map, even restarted my first day in this part of the game, cause I just wasted the whole day looking for a way to get there without getting any fruit/getting pikmin killed.

If you figure it out, or anyone else knows, I'd definitely appreciate help!

Go to the area with the waterfall and build the bridge back to the ship. Then use your teammates to progress in that waterfall area. Bring bombs!

Ohh, the sensor bar. Yeah, so that it can find "home". It uses it as a rough guide as to which direction your TV is.

Also great. You can tell which direction an enemy is in from the noise.

Good to hear. Really hope The Wind Waker HD has true 5.1 as well. It seems obvious, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Nintendo stick with 2.1 for it. It would be criminal though, and a major downgrade from the original Pro-Logic II version.

Okey, let's see if I've understood this. There are no fucking way of saving the photos you take with the gamepad? You can only share them in Miiverse at that moment or just losing them forever? What kind of genius decided to include a camera feature without an album or something?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Okey, let's see if I've understood this. There are no fucking way of saving the photos you take with the gamepad? You can only share them in Miiverse at that moment or just losing them forever? What kind of genius decided to include a camera feature without an album or something?

Post 'em! You can view them all together on your Miiverse profile, or even download them off the Miiverse website. The photo functionality exists for that purpose explicitly, really. "Take photo to share," not "take photo to build private album."

Post 'em! You can view them all together on your Miiverse profile, or even download them off the Miiverse website. The photo functionality exists for that purpose explicitly, really. "Take photo to share," not "take photo to build private album."

I'm not having internet on the WiiU in all the summer. Surprise, I was going to play Pikmin 3 during summer.

Anyway it is just absurd.

Top Bottom