• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Reposted from IronGAF

Tonight is the European release of Pikmin 3 a game of one of my favorite franchises.

In the game the inhabitants of the planet Koppai has to search the outer space for food resources when they stumble upon planet PNF-404. On PNF-404 they discover some strange beings...

Could it be, that by chance my back garden is actually PNF-404? This is what I discovered outside:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/pikmincupcakes1.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/pikmincupcakes2.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/pikmincupcakes3.jpg[/IMG

Apparently these plant sprouts are living creatures called Pikmin! They come in many colors and are great at working together. But PNF-404 also hosts other beings, much larger, and much more ferocious. A [B][URL="http://pikmin.wikia.com/wiki/Hairy_Bulborb"]Hairy Bulborb[/URL][/B] approached a white Pikmin and gulped it up in one bite! It was a horrible sight to be seen.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/pikmincupcakes4.jpg[/IMG

None the less I joined in and ate some of the other Pikmins. Apparently the white and purple pikmin taste like chocolate and elderflower. The red and pink ones taste like raspberry. The yellow tastes like lemon. And finally the blue tastes like rum.[/QUOTE]
Haha, nicely done

I'm not having internet on the WiiU in all the summer. Surprise, I was going to play Pikmin 3 during summer.

Anyway it is just absurd.

Why no internet for the summer?

If you got a smart phone, maybe you can use your phone to get online with the Wii u.

It is odd that you cannot make an album offline.

Why no internet for the summer?

If you got a smart phone, maybe you can use your phone to get online with the Wii u.

It is odd that you cannot make an album offline.

Already tried it, and the connection of the smartphone isn't fast enough to let the WiiU get online.

The problem is that an offline album is awfully obvious. Can't understand Nintendo's decission with this.

Robin64

An album would have been next to no effort for Nintendo, especially when you consider it's already saving your shots somewhere locally. Your last three shots are used on the world map.

Semajer

My copy arrived this morning, I've played it for 11 hours, and 30 minutes. I've unlocked what I assume is the final level, and I have 11 fruits left to collect.

All in all I'm enjoying it. It looks good, and sounds good, and it's a decent challenge. Some of the bosses are insane. I'm not happy with how they've changed the controls though. The Wii version of Pikmin and Pikmin 2 had perfect controls, and I feel that the Pikmin 3 Wii Remote controls are lacking, especially when it comes to the new lock on move..

I should 100% it tomorrow, and then I'll have a look at the challenges.

What? This game has proper 5.1

When the Pikmin are ahead, I hear them from the front speakers. When behind, I hear them from the rear ones. There's true surround sound here.

NintendoLand and New Super Mario Bros. U are 2.0, yes, but Pikmin 3 is 5.1.

Yeah, after playing some time, i noticed the rear channels are working, but the general mixing is horrible.
It seems like the center isn´t used at all.

8 days in and i'm really enjoying this so far.
Using the Wii remote for pointer accuracy while also having the gamepad on hand for utility purposes is pretty neat, I like the little replay watching feature available after each day so I can witness my shaky stumbling around against a tougher foe.
For all the fears some had that collecting fruit would possibly lack the quirkiness of the various Pikmin 2 items names and descriptions i'm happy to say that Brittany's analysis of each renamed fruit you find is good stuff, I think i'm liking this trio of characters more than the previous ones, sorry Olimar.

I do not miss the multi level caves in the slightest, while I thought Pikmin 2 was good I think i'm already gearing up to enjoy this entry a lot more, shifting the focus back to the overworld has led to some nice simple tasks/puzzles that make use of the multiple characters.
I also remember some statement that popped up in the last week or so insinuating that the game was perhaps tutorial heavy or at least kept taking control away from the player, fortunately i'm not finding this to be the case at all, we're far away from the likes of Dream Team Bros. Plus those data files have cool illustrations.

D-e-f-

Banned
I also remember some statement that popped up in the last week or so insinuating that the game was perhaps tutorial heavy or at least kept taking control away from the player, fortunately i'm not finding this to be the case at all, we're far away from the likes of Dream Team Bros. Plus those data files have cool illustrations.

take that Mark MacD :p

Sadist

The idea in my head was more awesome, but I'm okay with this

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAABUaWz7K514g

zlCfzREDbU4TYB8yV9

take that Mark MacD :p
To briefly elaborate on this...
You could say that the earlier days in the game are structured in a manner to present the basics to the player in a more controlled environment so it doesn't open up as immediately as the previous two games but I don't see any issue with that, you learn as you go in an entirely painless fashion.
The data files are kind of hilarious in how little info they actually convey most of the time.

dyergram

My impressions so far. I have never played pikmin before btw.

Graphics are pretty good nothing amazing so far. The lighting is cool, space is pretty.
Game is super addictive I played for 3 hours straight first go.
Sounds are a bit muted seems like its 5.1 but quiet I'm not sure I'm gonna crank it tomorrow and see what gwon. Music is nice and relaxing I LOVE the sound the the writing makes when it flies towards the screen hard to explain but you will understand when you see it.
Off tv play works really good I played while watching dexter yesterday works perfect.
Iv only played with the game pad and I think it controls perfect.
I heard its a bit hand holdy not my experience but like I said pikmin Virgin here.
The writing/characterisation is ok straddles the line between suitable for kids with enough whimsy for adults to enjoy. Basically Nintendo ass Nintendo game.
I REALY can't see why there's no online play especially with the delay.
I want to save every pikmin. When you leave pikmin in the feild you get to see them go to your space shuttle just as it takes off then you feel terrible.

In summary I like it and I can't wait to play more. Also was the game release thing a mistake because its pretty cool if their gonna start releasing shit slightly early.

***Bonus pic battery on game pad dying and tv going into standby in one sitting means one thing this game is poking my addict buttons.
Ax9g2T9.jpg

Holidays on a forgotten village lost in the mountains in an old house with no internet. I have just my smartphone to get online, but as I said it is not enough for the WiiU.

I see...

Im starting to think they made the feature miiverse only so we will promote the game.

No excuse.

Shahadan

Iv only played with the game pad and I think it controls perfect.
That's what I thought until a certain boss...it was a pain in the ass to aim correctly. Switched to wiimote for that fight, worked perfectly.
Still went back to gamepad after, though :lol:

Gartooth

Whats the game more like, Pikmin or Pikmin 2? Not only in terms of design, but also length. Pikmin 2 in particular is much much longer than Pikmin just because of the huge amount of treasures you need to collect from caves to get 100 percent.

Shahadan

Whats the game more like, Pikmin or Pikmin 2? Not only in terms of design, but also length. Pikmin 2 in particular is much much longer than Pikmin just because of the huge amount of treasures you need to collect from caves to get 100 percent.
I think pikmin 3 perfected the formula and is the legitimate child of 1&2. It draws from both.

As for length, I clocked 15 hours for the main campaign only, and have yet to get all the fruits, on top of Mission Mode.

Edit: oh god activity log tells me those 15 hours were done in two days and three uses, what's wrong with me

Cbajd5

Edit: oh god activity log tells me those 15 hours were done in two days and three uses, what's wrong with me

You have an addiction, admitting it is the first step to curing it.

The second step is sending me your copy of the game/console it's digitally on.

Jofamo

I'm on Day 20 something, and Pikmin 3 honestly feels like a very different beast. A true sequel in every sense of the word. Pikmin 1 and 2 had these smallish overworld areas that could mostly be entirely covered from one end to the other in one single day, whereas Pikmin 3's areas are really expansive, multi-leveled and much more thought out. The mechanics are entirely the same as the first two games, but the game areas are so much better. You're constantly finding new shortcuts back to your base, passageways to new areas and such. It can be slightly overwhelming, but not in a negative way. Every time you discover a new Pikmin type, you want to go back to a previous area and use their skills to open up a whole new section of the map. Not just one small area like the first two, but routes that ofter double the game space. It's really impressive.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm on Day 20 something, and Pikmin 3 honestly feels like a very different beast. A true sequel in every sense of the word. Pikmin 1 and 2 had these smallish overworld areas that could mostly be entirely covered from one end to the other in one single day, whereas Pikmin 3's areas are really expansive, multi-leveled and much more thought out. The mechanics are entirely the same as the first two games, but the game areas are so much better. You're constantly finding new shortcuts back to your base, passageways to new areas and such. It can be slightly overwhelming, but not in a negative way. Every time you discover a new Pikmin type, you want to go back to a previous area and use their skills to open up a whole new section of the map. Not just one small area like the first two, but routes that ofter double the game space. It's really impressive.

How much bigger would you say one overworld zone in Pikmin 3 is, compared to one zone in Pikmin 2? 2x, 3x, 4x the map size?

Jofamo

How much bigger would you say one overworld zone in Pikmin 3 is, compared to one zone in Pikmin 2? 2x, 3x, 4x the map size?

It depends on the area I think. I still havn't completely traversed any of the areas yet. The first proper one I would say is roughly twice the size of any of the Pikmin 1 and 2 levels. The second is maybe slightly larger. The third bigger than that, and the fourth (so far) even bigger than that. So maybe some are 3x as large. But they feel massive, mostly due to not being quite as flat or full of empty space as the first two games were. Every single route feels purposely designed.

OmahaG8

Although my Denon shows the typical Multi In for LPCM 5.1, this game definitely is 2.0 only.
Silence from center, surround and sub.
My sub actually didn´t even turn on during my playtime, meaning there is no LFE channel.
Voices coming from the L/R speakers is further evidence, that this game does not support 5.1.

Damnit. You know enough to not be lying.

Nintendo. I don't even. .

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Damnit. You know enough to not be lying.

Nintendo. I don't even. .

Don't worry, it's not true, he confirmed in another post later, and others have spoken about their experiences. There's definitely sound coming from the surround speakers, but it looks like the center might not be used, and there's minimal LFE. Not a particularly brilliant mix, it seems, but it's indeed at least 4 channels.

zroid

Banned

Oh god...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It depends on the area I think. I still havn't completely traversed any of the areas yet. The first proper one I would say is roughly twice the size of any of the Pikmin 1 and 2 levels. The second is maybe slightly larger. The third bigger than that, and the fourth (so far) even bigger than that. So maybe some are 3x as large. But they feel massive, mostly due to not being quite as flat or full of empty space as the first two games were. Every single route feels purposely designed.

Ah thanks. This jives with reviews calling it a little "metroid-like" and the playtime being similar to Pikmin 2 except without so much time spent in dungeons.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Challenge Mode will probably be overlooked but it's damn good
You mean the missions with online rankings, right? I did two yesterday (I was 1st BTW, too few people had played it :p) and it's crazy good, even better than where I stand in the story mode. Love the music there as well, familiar tune. What a game, it's a real delight.

Shahadan

I only have interest in this game if it plays well with the game pad. Should I be concerned?
No it works really well. My only concern about it is because of flying enemies that can be near impossible to target at first. Fortunately there are like 5 in all the campaign and there is a lock on

npa189

I Can't get this week delay for USA, what would be the benefit for NOA? its not like the game isn't done and has a English translation for Europe, so WTF? It should have been out this Sunday.

JazzmanZ

Somethings been bothering me here, does the game contain a giant beady long legs creature but with hippie hair?

I see it in the E3 2013 trailer but little of it from anywhere else.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
No it works really well. My only concern about it is because of flying enemies that can be near impossible to target at first. Fortunately there are like 5 in all the campaign and there is a lock on

Yes, at the beginning attacking the flying creatures is challenging, but I got used to it now and I like playing with the gamepad. Being able to move the camera is quite useful.

oatmeal

Banned
This is a dumb question...in Pikmin 2 (GAMECUBE version) how do you select which Pikmin to throw when you have a mix selected?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I'd like to play with remote+nunchuck ONLY without being told to divert my eyes to the bloody gamepad for a couple of seconds (requiring the said 'pad to be on my bloody table in a stand).

I am still not sure how to play... the remote+nunchuck controls are clearly superior. However, the gamepad's map is quite essential and constantly switching between the two just sucks. :-/

Robin64

Yes, while the surround sound isn't terribly amazing, it does at least have it. Sound certainly appears from the right direction, but the actual mix is pretty bad. Some odd choice of levels and little to no LFE at all.

Shahadan

I don't get the point of white piklins in challenge modes. Iirc they're useful against poison and stuff right? Do they dig faster or something?

Robin64

Also, this game is such a mixed bag, visuals wise. Mostly I would call it gorgeous, but then you get odd stuff like the log texture in this otherwise beautiful pic.

zlCfzREE6TsNDySLev

Top Bottom