• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Good luck checking the ground texture when the flying monster attacks your pikmins.
I encountered the first boss in the cave yesterday :: epic battle :: Not only did this creature looked magnificent (Wii U definitely handles shaders very well), but the way the camera zooms in and out increases the dynamism of the scene and makes the whole thing a visual treat.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I only have interest in this game if it plays well with the game pad. Should I be concerned?

I've completed the whole story only using the GamePad because I was too lazy to plug the Wii U into my TV. For challenge mode you will want to use a Wiimote though, otherwise you will have next to no chance to get any platin medals (with the exception of some bosses).

NotLiquid

Vigp7Cp.jpg

The only way that they'll ever learn.

Semajer

So, I'm on the final level, but I've missed some of the Exploration Notes. I'm not sure how many of them there are, but if anyone knows what I'm missing, and where to find it that'd be super.

I'll spoiler this, because some of the names are part of the story, and others are just nice to discover on your own:

Pikminology: I've filled up the page, so I assume that's all of them.
Controls: The page is missing two squares.
Indigenous Life: I've got six squares missing.
Area Hints: I have numbers 1 to 8, with two squares missing.
Olimar's Log: I'm missing 8 and 9.
Other: I have 0, 9, 4, 5, 4, 9, 8. There are three missing squares.

Damnit. You know enough to not be lying.

Nintendo. I don't even. .
I already revised my statement, it HAS surround, but some kind of odd 4.0 mix.
Yes, while the surround sound isn't terribly amazing, it does at least have it. Sound certainly appears from the right direction, but the actual mix is pretty bad. Some odd choice of levels and little to no LFE at all.
Sounds are a bit muted seems like its 5.1 but quiet I'm not sure I'm gonna crank it tomorrow and see what gwon.
Yes, the sounds are very low levels.
If your AVR supports Audyssey, definetely turn on Dynamic EQ for this game, it will sound SO MUCH better and fuller.

I think the sound is the best and fullest with WiiU on stereo and using Pro Logic II Game on the AVR.

Also, this game is such a mixed bag, visuals wise. Mostly I would call it gorgeous, but then you get odd stuff like the log texture in this otherwise beautiful pic.

zlCfzREE6TsNDySLev

I have a feeling that it's the engine's fault. I wouldn't be surprised if the game uses less than 1GB of RAM, or if it used it very badly. Same goes for the CPU.
My feeling is that they attempted to slap in as many high res textures as they could, forcing them to actually segment the overworld areas (this never happened in pikmin 1/2), but they didn't have the time to optimize everything.
I'm pretty sure a pikmin 4 would look leaps better, if they actually made it.

dc89

Just bought my copy from Sainsburys for £34.99 on the way back from hospital (little finger is bust).

Can't wait to start it, but sadly it will probably be tomorrow.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't get the point of white piklins in challenge modes. Iirc they're useful against poison and stuff right? Do they dig faster or something?

They are faster and thus are good choices to carry something. Also, if one gets eaten by an enemy, he will be poisened. For fast-digging you should use the yellow ones, though.

Semajer

Okay, I'm on the final boss, and I've collected some more of them, but I'm still missing a few of the Exploration Notes. I'm not sure how many are left, but if anyone has some that I'm missing, and you remember where you found them, I'd be grateful.

Indigenous Life: I've got three squares missing.
Area Hints: I've filled that page, I'm pretty sure that's all of them.
Olimar's Log: Filled up this page too.
Other: I have 0, 9, 3, 4, 5, 5, 4, 9, 8. There is one missing.

Jofamo

Okay, I'm on the final boss, and I've collected some more of them, but I'm still missing a few of the Exploration Notes. I'm not sure how many are left, but if anyone has some that I'm missing, and you remember where you found them, I'd be grateful.

Indigenous Life: I've got three squares missing.
Area Hints: I've filled that page, I'm pretty sure that's all of them.
Olimar's Log: Filled up this page too.
Other: I have 0, 9, 3, 4, 5, 5, 4, 9, 8. There is one missing.

I'm being careful with myself here, because I'm not as far as you, but in the

OTHER Section: I only have 1 (with Yellow Pikmin) and 2 (With Rock Pikmin). I have no idea what these two notes are for so far, so please, no spoilers, but I'm sure I found 2 in the frozen Tundra, right next to the spaceship. It was on the far end a ledge that leads down to the water area, just along from a Cherry on a heap of snow. I'm pretty sure I glitched my way up there though, flinging a captain at the very edge of the ledge and then immediately switching to them and forcing my way onto it before they fell. I've no idea how you'd get there normally without some sort of high throwing additional ability.

The other one was found in the Tropical area, near the area where you fight the Shaggy Long Legs. There's a stump/island thing that you need to step onto a seesaw platform to reach. The other side of the seesaw is fairly well hidden, if you follow the stump around for a bit you'll find a small alcove. Take a bunch of Yellow Pikmin, turn your camera until you see the bounding mushroom, and aim them at that. They'll bounce onto the adjoining side of the seesaw and if you weigh it down enough your other captain should be lifted onto the stump. I'm fairly sure that's where I found it anyway.

EDIT: Just noticed you said you only had one missing... I probably have the details of the memos confused, but hopefully one of the above is the one you need.

I love this game but there's something I miss from the first Pikmin. Maybe it's the level design or the formula that starts to get old. Or maybe I need a second playthrough. I used to hate Pikmin but new play control changed everything to me.

Semajer

I'm being careful with myself here, because I'm not as far as you, but in the

OTHER Section: I only have 1 (with Yellow Pikmin) and 2 (With Rock Pikmin). I have no idea what these two notes are for so far, so please, no spoilers, but I'm sure I found 2 in the frozen Tundra, right next to the spaceship. It was on the far end a ledge that leads down to the water area, just along from a Cherry on a heap of snow. I'm pretty sure I glitched my way up there though, flinging a captain at the very edge of the ledge and then immediately switching to them and forcing my way onto it before they fell. I've no idea how you'd get there normally without some sort of high throwing additional ability.

The other one was found in the Tropical area, near the area where you fight the Shaggy Long Legs. There's a stump/island thing that you need to step onto a seesaw platform to reach. The other side of the seesaw is fairly well hidden, if you follow the stump around for a bit you'll find a small alcove. Take a bunch of Yellow Pikmin, turn your camera until you see the bounding mushroom, and aim them at that. They'll bounce onto the adjoining side of the seesaw and if you weigh it down enough your other captain should be lifted onto the stump. I'm fairly sure that's where I found it anyway.

EDIT: Just noticed you said you only had one missing... I probably have the details of the memos confused, but hopefully one of the above is the one you need.

I'm pretty sure I got both of those. But the
numbers
you have are different to mine. Maybe they're random.

Kouriozan

I was looking at some Miiverse screenshot and the game does look worse on these, weird >.<
I'm at day 7 or 8, I don't want to rush, trying to enjoy the most I can.

I'm stuck which I'm surpirised at, can anyone give me a hint as to what I'm meant to do?

I returned to Alph's landing area.
I reached the high bit that required throwing all the captains. Britanny mentioned about seeing something across the way, but upon going down there and killing the boss I can't find anything to finish the bridge or a way to get up the next hill.

Nintendo customer services have told me that the 30% off The Wonderful 101 after downloading Pikmin offer will not happen for me,

because it was downloaded before the release date

& also because the download code was purchased from Game rather than straight from the eshop

I told them that I had input the code before today because I thought that it would download in standby at midnight so would be ready for today.

I didn't think that it would download until release date.

I am not very happy about this, wish I had stuck with the £24 Flubit deal now.

Kouriozan

Nintendo customer services have told me that the 30% off The Wonderful 101 after downloading Pikmin offer will not happen for me,

& also because the download code was purchased from Game rather than straight from the eshop

I told them that I had input the code before today because I thought that it would download in standby at midnight so would be ready for today.

Seriously?
I can hear the angry customers coming...

Jofamo

numbers

Hmm. It would appear it's something along those lines.

I just checked mine and I have numbers 2 (Rock Pikmin), 6 (Yellow) and 1 (Yellow). Totally different from yourself. I can't remember where I found the third of mine however :/

dyergram

What the fuck nintendo.

Juice

Does the game have audio options? I couldn't even make it through any YouTube clips because that whistle is so obnoxious. And I'd rather not have to mute my TV entirely and miss the music.

zroid

Banned

Hmmm... I'm still skeptical about this. Honestly don't understand how they would be able to detect either of these things after the fact. The part where using a download code doesn't apply is particularly bizarre.

Kouriozan

Hmmm... I'm still skeptical about this. Honestly don't understand how they would be able to detect either of these things after the fact. The part where using a download code doesn't apply is particularly bizarre.

You also don't get the Nintendo Network Premium promotion BUT :
vfhv.png

You should get it with "every purchase or download code redemption".
Something is definitely fishy.
Also, nowhere on the official website say that you need to use the code the day or after the release date.

Shahadan

?

Wtf. Fuckers. It's their fault for allowing downloads and game to sell codes

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Let's see, it would be crap if so. I still don't believe it. But even so, I hope Game will have also W101 for early download and a good price. But the DDP must happen !

By my calculations if both games are 67 in total that would be pretty much the same as with the 30% promotion.

Jofamo

There's no way the blame for an early download lies on yourself. You didn't cheat the system or anything. It's a legitamate buy and for all they know you thought it was out already. Not your problem.

They definitely need to sort that shit out, pronto. Especially for the Deluxe set promotion rewards scheme. I'd keep on at them, and advise anyone in a similar position to do the same.

Jofamo

numbers

I just found another

In the Frozen Tundra, in the cave with the Flying Pikmin gate. There was a load of Bulbears and Fiery blowhogs. It's in the middle, hidden in some leaves behind some tin walls.

Shaldome

Seriously?
I can hear the angry customers coming...

Why? The offer states:

"Special Offer!

If you download Pikmin 3 from Nintendo eShop between July 26th 2013 and September 21st 2013, you will be able to buy
The Wonderful 101 for 30% off on Nintendo eShop on the same Wii U once it's released and only until 21st September 2013."

So there is nothing wrong on Nintendo side, regarding the offer.
You could blame for letting customers start their download a day prior, and not telling them that they are not eligible for the special offer, if they do that.

Kouriozan

Why? The offer states:

"Special Offer!

If you download Pikmin 3 from Nintendo eShop between July 26th 2013 and September 21st 2013, you will be able to buy
The Wonderful 101 for 30% off on Nintendo eShop on the same Wii U once it's released and only until 21st September 2013."

So there is nothing wrong on Nintendo side, regarding the offer.
You could blame for letting customers start their download a day prior, and not telling them that they are not eligible for the special offer, if they do that.

There is still that Nintendo Network Promotion problem :s

Top Bottom