• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Just finished day 2, the game seems pretty promising. It was kind of weird that there was already an update to the game, but luckily the download only took two minutes...

kizmah

Picked up my copy today...on my way to work. Will be nice to play later tonight though. Earthbound last week and now this, my Wii U is getting some serious action. Things are surely looking up.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
*Koppai high five*

This is how it's done. Lying on the bed with Wiimote/Nunchuck and the pad next to me on the stand. So relaxing, so amazing :)
absolutely, I wasn't sold on this solution until I tried it by myself. it's perfect.
the paused scrolling map is great, as is the pointer to call and launch pikmins

Barely started the game and I'm already having too much fun with the camera thingy. It's great to see the World from their perspective. Beautiful little game too.

zlCfzREG1vQSnuG4Lb

Kouriozan

Just got the flying Pikmins, I love them!
I don't want to rush that game but everytime I keep saying to myself "just one more day..."

I phoned Nintendo customer services again about the 30% off W101 after downloading Pikmin 3 from Game early, they have said they have now contacted Nintendo Europe to ask about it & they will call me when they hear back from them.

Also they said to wait until tomorrow to see if pikmin 3 shows up on Premium site.

absolutely, I wasn't sold on this solution until I tried it by myself. it's perfect.
the paused scrolling map is great, as is the pointer to call and launch pikmins

Yup, it's pretty much perfect. So far I haven't lost a single Pikmin at the end of a day, unlike in the first game which I replayed 2 weeks ago. 2-3 times a day I quickly check the map for spread out Pikmins on the Gamepad map.
And I grab it for some wildlife snapshots from time to time which is also super fun. Keeps them 'yeahs' coming :)

Shahadan

Really can't believe how much this game clicked for me. The two other games never did and I gave up because something felt not right enough.
Third time the charm I guess.

Nintendo customer services have told me that the 30% off The Wonderful 101 after downloading Pikmin offer will not happen for me,

because it was downloaded before the release date

& also because the download code was purchased from Game rather than straight from the eshop

I told them that I had input the code before today because I thought that it would download in standby at midnight so would be ready for today.

I didn't think that it would download until release date.

I am not very happy about this, wish I had stuck with the £24 Flubit deal now.

FUCK!!!
That was the only reason why I downloaded it and canceled my Amazon pre-order.
FUCK!!!

dyergram

Let's see, it would be crap if so. I still don't believe it. But even so, I hope Game will have also W101 for early download and a good price. But the DDP must happen !

By my calculations if both games are 67 in total that would be pretty much the same as with the 30% promotion.
personally I'd rather pay 34.99 and have the game early.

NotLiquid

Yup, it's pretty much perfect. So far I haven't lost a single Pikmin at the end of a day, unlike in the first game which I replayed 2 weeks ago. 2-3 times a day I quickly check the map for spread out Pikmins on the Gamepad map.
And I grab it for some wildlife snapshots from time to time which is also super fun. Keeps them 'yeahs' coming :)

Oh trust me, you will lose many once you hit the later levels.

Stack up before the final encounter is all I advise to fellow players!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
personally I'd rather pay 34.99 and have the game early.

Yeah, me too. It would be practically less than 3 euros difference for the 2 games. I hope Game does the same for W101.

My only concern now is for DDP, but according to the rules we should get those points.

oatmeal

Banned
Sorry for asking so many questions...last one I think.

Are the days longer than Pikmin 2?

They were ridiculously short in P2 because of the focus on the caves.

Layell

I have a small request, is there any footage of good battle bingo players, so far the footage I have seen of players is really bad, they barely know how to play.

I've never really considered myself that big a Pikmin fan even though I still enjoyed the previous games so I wasn't really expecting too much here.
But it's continuing to impress as well as being addictive. In a way it feels like the Pikmin 2 I always wanted, for the many improvements 2 did make I found it to sort of lose sight of things with the over emphasis on caves and the two new pikmin types came across a bit poorly implemented from their candypop bud origins, ship housing and regarding white pikmin in particular, their abilities.
The new types here in 3 i'm finding to fit a lot better into the game and it's not a hassle at all to make more of them like it was for the purples and whites since they just follow the same rules as the standard three colours.

These maps are great as well, they're perhaps not as immediately open as some of the older overworld areas but this makes the game feel quite a bit more focused, it all comes around nicely with you opening up various shortcuts near to the onion as you go, I keep inadvertently leaving a few pikmin scattered around these maps making for some hectic sunset scrambles across the sprawling maps.
3 seems to draw from the strengths of both 1 and 2, this entry is right on the mark so far.

javac

Got the game early in the morning but haven't played yet. Maybe later today I'll jump in! Can't believe it's actually released lol!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I've never really considered myself that big a Pikmin fan even though I still enjoyed the previous games so I wasn't really expecting too much here.
But it's continuing to impress as well as being addictive. In a way it feels like the Pikmin 2 I always wanted, for the many improvements 2 did make I found it to sort of lose sight of things with the over emphasis on caves and the two new pikmin types came across a bit poorly implemented from their candypop bud origins, ship housing and regarding white pikmin in particular, their abilities.
The new types here in 3 i'm finding to fit a lot better into the game and it's not a hassle at all to make more of them like it was for the purples and whites since they just follow the same rules as the standard three colours.

These maps are great as well, they're perhaps not as immediately open as some of the older overworld areas but this makes the game feel quite a bit more focused, it all comes around nicely with you opening up various shortcuts near to the onion as you go, I keep inadvertently leaving a few pikmin scattered around these maps making for some hectic sunset scrambles across the sprawling maps.
3 seems to draw from the strengths of both 1 and 2, this entry is right on the mark so far.
I could have written that, word for word. Exactly what I feel about the series and Pikmin 3.

Frodo

Well... I wasn't planning to pick this one day one, but... I'll spend the weekend alone at home so I thought... I deserve something to keep me company and Pikmin 3 was there with this huge banner on the eShop so...

zroid

Banned
Is there a fruit viewer in this game?

There should have been a fruit destroyer easter egg. Where you can just take a virtual hammer and smash the shit out of your fruit, and it'd realistically splatter. Probably would've taken a lot of coding for just a dumb bonus, though. :p

jepense

Only played to Day 3 so far. I'm very impressed by the beginning: presentation and gameplay seem great and the improved multitasking feels really nice. Reading comments about good level design makes me expect wonderful things from this game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Only played to Day 3 so far. I'm very impressed by the beginning: presentation and gameplay seem great and the improved multitasking feels really nice. Reading comments about good level design makes me expect wonderful things from this game.

how did you fancy
the first boss? I had a hard time defeating him and bringing back all the spoils before the end of the day

also nice to see how positive the game is reviewed. 88 on metacritic, 28/28 positive reviews

D-e-f-

Banned
Can't believe I sacrificed the boxart for nothing. :(

You should read the other posts on the matter. I expect the customer service people simply read the conditions for the promotions and saw that it officially "starts" today and then just assumed everything registered prior wouldn't work. This ultimately doesn't mean anything since you can rarely trust customer service to know the intricate details as they usually have just basic stock answers on a sheet or screen in front of them.

See what comes from NoE's direct reply and don't panic.

I already lost about 45 pikmins in one day and the captain kept telling how it was his fault and how sad he was.
In reality it was me playing the captain so that was MY fault.
My poor heart </3

yeah, over the last two hours my death count went from 15 up to 103... I feel like a monster. That world is brutal... :/

I'm so surprised how much I'm enjoying this game. I never was that big of a fan of the first game and never played the second one, but this is some serious Nintendo magic right here.

Thread needs more Miiverse posts, sorry:
zlCfzREILSEXt3iHBg

zlCfzREITWk1dh7SUq

And lol at this one. I was playing as Alph and the Captain was sitting there leaning against the wall while it got some Pikmin treatment:
zlCfzREIRP86mPOyqo

i've spent forever in the area leading up to the second boss.

Man this game is incredible.

For those that are stuck, look at your map and investigate areas you've not fully explored.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Holly crap, the
snake like
boss just killed almost all my pikmins in two days. I have to go back now 3 days to try again.

Leaving Pikmin behind is just too sad. I can't stand it either.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The music when you take off is melancolic and it adds to the culpability feeling. This game is Nintendo's best in a while on a console and it's my favorite on Wii U so far.

Burnburn

Sorry if sounding redundant if this is already discussed, but I absolutely hate how they completely removed the "C-sticking".

The "C-sticking" was kind off a way to co-operate with stupid Pikmin AI, as you were in almost complete control of your squad. But the Pikmin AI is still as stupid as in the first 2 games. By removing C-sticking you are in a lot more situations dependant on the way how the Pikmin AI reacts. It's kind of hard to explain, but by "c-sticking" in some hectic split-second situations, you could actually salvage a really bad situation yourself, while now after you've thrown a Pikmin the AI completely takes over.

I love the overal game design of though, the areas are really fleshed out. It's a shame that Nintendo took out some of the control. C-sticking, you will be missed.

Chao

I checked my premium points on the website and it ignores my Pikmin 3 purchase, so I guess by buying the download code through game.co.uk we screwed the promotion.

Yay : |

kizmah

Played until the end of day 2. This is actually my first time playing Pikmin and I'm loving it so far. Tried the game with gamepad first but then switched to wiimote+nunchuck and man is it a night and day difference. The latter is just so much better!

The game is beautiful and the presentation with the start and end of days and the stuff on the ship is just top notch. This feels, looks and sounds like the first true next-gen Nintendo-title.

Exile20

yeah, over the last two hours my death count went from 15 up to 103... I feel like a monster. That world is brutal... :/

I'm so surprised how much I'm enjoying this game. I never was that big of a fan of the first game and never played the second one, but this is some serious Nintendo magic right here.

Thread needs more Miiverse posts, sorry:
zlCfzREILSEXt3iHBg

zlCfzREITWk1dh7SUq

And lol at this one. I was playing as Alph and the Captain was sitting there leaning against the wall while it got some Pikmin treatment:
zlCfzREIRP86mPOyqo

What the hell?

This is what Nintendo can do with a game started on Wii? Most games that change development platforms turn out not to be a graphical showcase. MIND BLOWN!!!

Top Bottom