• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Phazon

Yeah, me too. It would be practically less than 3 euros difference for the 2 games. I hope Game does the same for W101.

My only concern now is for DDP, but according to the rules we should get those points.

All the games I got from Nintendo that I downloaded before release didn't gave me DDP points (they did gave me points in the first month after release, but I think Nintendo changed that around january this year). Not sure if they know that those codes are presscodes, so I'm interested to see what happens.

Edit: Just saw that I got DDP points for my reviewcode of Star Wars Pinball, which I activated AFTER the official launch.

Roo

Some more.
zlCfzREE7HoEt_wv5a

Poor lonely little guy :(

Hmm I redeemed Pikmin on Wednesday night, no update on the premium page to reflect that purchase, guess I needed to buy direct from the eshop for it to count towards my points?

Currently stuck on the
sandworm boss
in tropical wilds, I know the bomb rocks are key but oy he takes FOREVER to go down

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
What the hell?

This is what Nintendo can do with a game started on Wii? Most games that change development platforms turn out not to be a graphical showcase. MIND BLOWN!!!

All together now - art direction!

Nintendo almost always displays meticulous and thoughtful art direction. Even Nintendo Land and NSMB U display really fine art direction and attention to detail. They just suffered a torrent of negativity by a certain set of fans out to roast anything resembling their specific art styles (NSMB and Mii-based worlds specifically). Same thing is happening to Super Mario 3D World, sadly - those unable to see past an art style they hate downplaying how good it actually looks.

It does seem the extra months spent polishing Pikmin 3 up paid off big time. Technically, NSMB U, NL, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, and 3D World are still first-generation Nintendo HD games. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the next batch, appearing in late 2014 through 2015.

Hmm I redeemed Pikmin on Wednesday night, no update on the premium page to reflect that purchase, guess I needed to buy direct from the eshop for it to count towards my points?

Currently stuck on the
sandworm boss
in tropical wilds, I know the bomb rocks are key but oy he takes FOREVER to go down

Nope. Says on the page that redeemed codes should count.

jepense

how did you fancy
the first boss? I had a hard time defeating him and bringing back all the spoils before the end of the day
Actually, I goofed around most of Day 3, so
I only reached the boss at the end of the day. It was pretty obvious there was going to be something nasty there, but I wanted to see it so I went in anyway. When the fight started, he smashed my army all over the place and then the night countdown started. At that point I had dozens of pikmin all over the boss' den and I was scrambling to not get eaten yelling to all my guys to join the squad before sunset. It was definitely very intense, although it was all due to my own carelessness. In the end, I lost 13 pikmin either to the monster or the sunset. Maybe I should replay that day.

Jofamo

Okay, I'm on the final boss, and I've collected some more of them, but I'm still missing a few of the Exploration Notes. I'm not sure how many are left, but if anyone has some that I'm missing, and you remember where you found them, I'd be grateful.

Pikminology: I've filled up the page, so I assume that's all of them.
Controls: The page is missing two squares.
Indigenous Life: I've got three squares missing.
Area Hints: I've filled that page, I'm pretty sure that's all of them.
Olimar's Log: Filled up this page too.
Other: I have 0, 9, 3, 4, 5, 5, 4, 9, 8. There is one missing.

Did you ever find the final
Secret Memo?

I've managed to fill every other section, but only have one more memo to get. I've completely combed Garden of Home, Tropical Shore and Formidable Oak. Tomorrow I'm gonna go over the final two areas. Really curious what its all about, my numbers are completely different from yours.

Actually, I goofed around most of Day 3, so
I only reached the boss at the end of the day. It was pretty obvious there was going to be something nasty there, but I wanted to see it so I went in anyway. When the fight started, he smashed my army all over the place and then the night countdown started. At that point I had dozens of pikmin all over the boss' den and I was scrambling to not get eaten yelling to all my guys to join the squad before sunset. It was definitely very intense, although it was all due to my own carelessness. In the end, I lost 13 pikmin either to the monster or the sunset. Maybe I should replay that day.

Yeeeah - with Pikmin it's always worth being cautious, you can easilly lose a number of your squad by transporting items too late in the day or getting in a skirmish. I generally take that "hurry up" marker as a sign I shouldn't venture too far into unknown territory unless I'm sure I can avoid trouble or finish the days tasks. Theres no shame in doing a replay! I sucked badly on my first play - got to Day 8 and went right back to the beginning because I'd wasted so much time, and wasted 3 days
In the Frozen Tundra trying to reunite Alph and Bethany with that darn bridge

One thing that does amuse me, each character has something different to say depending on who you are controlling. Also depending on how long you take on each objective - characters do react to that too. So theres different discussions you miss by zipping along, or completing certain objectives in a day. That affects your end of day report too.

BTW a tip for the centepede - dive for cover in the hole hidden behind a mound of mushrooms, the centepede won't dive into it. Just bait it into running at you by coming out a bit, then dive right in and chuck your rock pikmin at it.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I really hope this has sold well. I'll be deeply disappointed if reports come out saying it sold poorly.

Nintendo haven't really pushed the advertising and marketing here in the UK. I fear they've given up and just hope to ride the turbulence till Mario Kart or something that has potential to sell millions.

Effect

Why is this game so pretty?!

Why can't I stop the timer and just look around and take pictures? lol

zlCfzREI4u8idG3ArY

zlCfzREIvAk-pwctrF

I assume you could. Can't you redo days. You could always just screw around a day or so here and thereand just take pictures and then rewind.

Anyway I can't decide if I want to get the physical copy of this or use my eShop credit from getting Fire Emblem and SMT IV on the 3DS to get the digital version. This will be my first Pikmin game.

This is hands down one of the best games i've played in a looooong time!! it has this special magic which you can only see and feel in a nintendo game.
I got my my copy yesterday and just played for 5 hours straight away. And some boss fights were more intense than some encounters with enemies in The Last Of Us...(but thats just me, don't want to compare these games)

jepense

Yeeeah - with Pikmin it's always worth being cautious, you can easilly lose a number of your squad by transporting items too late in the day or getting in a skirmish. I generally take that "hurry up" marker as a sign I shouldn't venture too far into unknown territory unless I'm sure I can avoid trouble or finish the days tasks.
Sure I knew it was not a good idea, but the day was already wasted and I had to stop playing, so I wanted to see what was there. Normally I'm very conservative with my daily schedules and try not to cram too much in a day.

Semajer

Secret Memo?

I've managed to fill every other section, but only have one more memo to get. I've completely combed Garden of Home, Tropical Shore and Formidable Oak. Tomorrow I'm gonna go over the final two areas. Really curious what its all about, my numbers are completely different from yours.

No, I beat the game yesterday, and now my Exploration Notes are like this:

Pikminology: I've filled up this page.
Indigenous Life: I've filled this page..
Area Hints: I've filled this page.
Olimar's Log: I've filled up this page.

If you've filled out the other sections perhaps you could tell me what I'm missing. Even if you don't remember where you found it, I might be able to guess based on what it is.

I have:

Controls: Moving, Using the Whistle, Throwing, Plucking # 1, Plucking # 2, Looking Around, Locking On, Dismissing Squad, Charge!, Selecting Pikmin Type, Switching Leaders, Throwing Leaders, Using Ultra-Spicy Spray, Using the Dodge Whistle, Using the Radar #1, Using the Radar #2, Using the Radar #3, Fruit Finder, Go Here! Using the Camera, Metal Suit Z, Dividing Labour #1, Dividing Labour #2, Escaping, Rescuing from Bubbles, Rescuing Olimar #1, Rescuing Olimar #2.

Other: 0, 9, 3, 4, 5, 5, 4, 9, 8.

Edit: I just found the last two
Indigenous Life
entries, and I've updated my post to reflect this.

Been playing this for a few hours and feeling a bit...lost. I've been doing the area where you have to
reunite Alph and Brittany, but a bit confused as to what to do next.
Is repeating an area over a good thing? Up to day 8 I think. I'm bringing back fruit etc, but feels like I need to push on with the main story a bit more. Also doesn't help that a guide I had a quick look at has done things in previous areas already :/

Been playing this for a few hours and feeling a bit...lost. I've been doing the area where you have to
reunite Alph and Brittany, but a bit confused as to what to do next.
Is repeating an area over a good thing? Up to day 8 I think. I'm bringing back fruit etc, but feels like I need to push on with the main story a bit more. Also doesn't help that a guide I had a quick look at has done things in previous areas already :/

Do you have access to the
arctic area
already? In between missions the game highlights where you are supposed to go next I think.

XaosWolf

Secret Memo?

Indigenous Life: This page is missing two squares.

If you've filled out the other sections perhaps you could tell me what I'm missing. Even if you don't remember where you found it, I might be able to guess based on what it is.

I have:

Controls: Moving, Using the Whistle, Throwing, Plucking # 1, Plucking # 2, Looking Around, Locking On, Dismissing Squad, Charge!, Selecting Pikmin Type, Switching Leaders, Throwing Leaders, Using Ultra-Spicy Spray, Using the Dodge Whistle, Using the Radar #1, Using the Radar #2, Using the Radar #3, Fruit Finder, Go Here! Using the Camera, Metal Suit Z, Dividing Labour #1, Dividing Labour #2, Escaping, Rescuing from Bubbles, Rescuing Olimar #1, Rescuing Olimar #2.

Indigenous Life: Armoured Mawdad #1, Armoured Mawdad #2, Vehemoth Phosbat #1, Vehemoth Phosbat#2, Sandbelching Meerslug #1, Sandbelching Meerslug #2, Scornet, Scornet Maestro, Mysterious Life Form #1, Mysterious Life Form # 2, Plasm Wraith #1, Plasm Wraith #2, Bulborb #1, Bulborb #2, Dwarf Bulborb, Yellow Wollyhop, Peckish Aristocrab, Joustmite, Desiccated Skitter Leaf, Swooping Snitchbug, Toady Bloyster, Shaggy Long Legs, Arachnode, Bugeyed Crawmad, Bearded Amprat, Burrowing Snagret, Pellet Posy, Hiding Place.

Other: 0, 9, 3, 4, 5, 5, 4, 9, 8.

Still missing two
Secret Memos
and yeah, mine are nothing like yours.

If you can remember where some of them are, that'd be fantastic, as I've scoured each of the levels a whole bunch destroying mushrooms and the like but to no avail. =/

Also missing two from Indigenous and one or two from the controls section.

Semajer

Still missing two
Secret Memos
and yeah, mine are nothing like yours.

If you can remember where some of them are, that'd be fantastic, as I've scoured each of the levels a whole bunch destroying mushrooms and the like but to no avail. =/

Also missing two from Indigenous and one or two from the controls section.

Just off of the top of my head for the
Secret Memos
:

In the Garden of Hope, it's in a can with a Peckish Aristocrab
In the Garden of Hope, there is an electric fence past the outdoors see-saw pulley puzzle, It is at the top of another see-saw pulley puzzle past the fence.
In the Distant Tundra there is one near the start on a ledge that you have to awkwardly throw your captains up to.
In the Distant Tundra there is one behind some scrap metal in the area that require flying Pikmin to reach, in a cave. There are loads of Bulbears. (I think that's what they're called.)
I think there's one
In the Tropical Wilds on the top of the stump that you get to using the yellow Pikmin, and the spring mushroom. After you're up there, there is a branch you can walk up, which leads to a hole, behind the hole is another.
I think there's one
In the Tropical Wilds in the area with that strange two-legged rock monster, there's a file near the back of the wall.
I think there's one in
the Twilight River, near the back of the level there is a pillar coming out of the water with some bridge materials on, which you can throw your captain onto.

I may be mixing some of these up with
Olimar's Log
though.

ajim

I've had this game on download from the eshop for the past 4 1/2 hours or so and only now is it installing.

Damn slow eshop! I want to play now :(

Jackano

Have the game for 4 days now and enjoying it very much. I was a little disturbed by some changes (cameras and pikmins controls, onions merging etc) but now it's a blast.

The game seems to have as much content as Pikmin 2 but way more interesting than the caves.
Closer to Pikmin 1 too with more story telling, more scifi things, and I love that.

I hope for it to be a decent commercial success, 9 years without Pikmin was definitely too much. Nintendo should plan some DLC and Pikmin 4 ASAP!!

D-e-f-

Banned
Have the game for 4 days now and enjoying it very much. I was a little disturbed by some changes (cameras and pikmins controls, onions merging etc) but now it's a blast.

The game seems to have as much content as Pikmin 2 but way more interesting than the caves.
Closer to Pikmin 1 too with more story telling, more scifi things, and I love that.

I hope for it to be a decent commercial success, 9 years without Pikmin was definitely too much. Nintendo should plan some DLC and Pikmin 4 ASAP!!

Seems you missed that they already are :)

Mistle

finally played a little bit and have to say that it's just oozing with charm. looks, sounds and plays incredible. miyamoto does it again!

klier

Just came to say that the pointer controls are absolutely Godly, and there is simply no going back after having used them..

I've had this game on download from the eshop for the past 4 1/2 hours or so and only now is it installing.

Damn slow eshop! I want to play now :(

Damn I thought 1.5 hour was very slow already...

D-e-f-

Banned
What's the best UK price? I want to get a physical copy.

£28.98 on TheHut.com with 3OFF30 voucher

£27.34 on wowhd.co.uk
(UK/IE: Oblivion Buy 1 Get 5% Off Extended Discount 1 x Pikmin 3 (Nintendo Wii U) -£1.40) <--- activates during checkout automatically (wowhd shipping might take a while though ...mine shipped today but I've been waiting for Game & Wario for a month already, for example ...while Project X Zone arrived within a week or so)

otherwise:
http://www.hotukdeals.com/search?action=search&keywords=pikmin+3

fred

What's the best UK price? I want to get a physical copy.

Got mine for £24.94 from Wow HD via flubit. Flubit is excellent, you find an online price and copy the url into the site and they give you a better offer, usually 4 or 5 quid off a 30 quid retail price for me so far.

Jofamo

Just off of the top of my head for the
Secret Memos
:

In the Garden of Hope, there is an electric fence past the outdoors see-saw pulley puzzle, It is at the top of another see-saw pulley puzzle past the fence.
In the Distant Tundra there is one near the start on a ledge that you have to awkwardly throw your captains up to.
In the Distant Tundra there is one behind some scrap metal in the area that require flying Pikmin to reach, in a cave. There are loads of Bulbears. (I think that's what they're called.)
I think there's one
In the Tropical Wilds on the top of the stump that you get to using the yellow Pikmin, and the spring mushroom. After you're up there, there is a branch you can walk up, which leads to a hole, behind the hole is another.
I think there's one
In the Tropical Wilds in the area with that strange two-legged rock monster, there's a file near the back of the wall.
I think there's one in
the Twilight River, near the back of the level there is a pillar coming out of the water with some bridge materials on, which you can throw your captain onto.

I may be mixing some of these up with
Olimar's Log
though.

Yup, in fairly sure those are where I found all mine, and ill add one more to that
in the Formidable Oak, in the dark cave section. Up and over the completed bridge and on your way to the exit outside. Just before the route splits between a dirt wall and a clipboard, there is a mound of dirt you can make your Pikmin dig in. They'll unearth another Secret Memo

Ill have a look at my control page and compare to yours tonight.

Semajer

Yup, in fairly sure those are where I found all mine, and ill add one more to that
in the Formidable Oak, in the dark cave section. Up and over the completed bridge and on your way to the exit outside. Just before the route splits between a dirt wall and a clipboard, there is a mound of dirt you can make your Pikmin dig in. They'll unearth another Secret Memo

Ill have a look at my control page and compare to yours tonight.

Ah, yeah, that was one I was thinking of, but I couldn't place it.

Frodo

Are you guys playing with the Wii Remote or with the GamePad?

I can't go back to the GamePad after I discovered the IR pointer controls. So much more intuitive. GamePad feels awkward now :p

Kouriozan

Are you guys playing with the Wii Remote or with the GamePad?

I can't go back to the GamePad after I discovered the IR pointer controls. So much more intuitive. GamePad feels awkward now :p
Playing with the Gamepad, it's a bit hard at times but I like to have instant access to the map everytime and quickly give orders.

Jofamo

Indigenous Life: I've filled this page..

I have:

Ok, looking at it now I can count 4 entries you've not listed there.
The very first one, "Moving". Might be around where either the Captain or Alph landed. But then again, it might be a beginning of the game thing, might have disappeared in a return visit if you know what I mean. Some new things pop up in those areas when you go back.

Second, "Ultra-Spicy Nectar". Just after the using ultra spicy spare, this one describes when a Captain sucks up the nectar blob from an egg or such.

Third and Fourth, The Anti Electrifier suit and the Scorch Guard suit. I'm not sure if you have either of these upgrades. I can't completely remember which is exactly where, along with Metal Suit Z, but the three suits are found;
In Tropical Shore, in the route that leads from where Alph landed in a small pond to just over the first bridge you build near the spaceship site. You'll find one of the three here.

Next, right next to where Charlie fell in the Tundra. Being Yellow Pikmin and dig one of the two mounds of snow here for the second suit upgrade.

Third, in the Twilight River, in the Back section, near where you have to throw a captain from the Lily pad to the bouncing mushroom to reach bridge materials. Past the lily pads and over to where you would throw up extra Pikmin here, you'd have found an Olimar log saying he left something nearby. Look up at the boundary walls, and you'll see a mound of dirt you can throw yellows up to to dig.

Hope that helps!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It would be neat to get some basic idea of what ideal targets for each day should be in story mode?

Is there a non-spoilers (as non-spoilersish as possible at least) one could confer? It's so easy to waste a day just picking up some spoils and what not, when you should be out there doing something else.

Frodo

Playing with the Gamepad, it's a bit hard at times but I like to have instant access to the map everytime and quickly give orders.

I wanted to play witht the Pad beacuse of that, but, in the end WIi remote is so satisfying I gave up the perks the Pad gives me. Now it just sits on my lap and I look down whenever I need... :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
TcOrGyE.jpg

Sorry little guys it had to be done :(

couldn't you at least have found some blue/purple flowers or something. that's just disgusting.

I also play with wiimote/gamepad btw

Jofamo

It would be neat to get some basic idea of what ideal targets for each day should be in story mode?

Is there a non-spoilers (as non-spoilersish as possible at least) one could confer? It's so easy to waste a day just picking up some spoils and what not, when you should be out there doing something else.

A piece or two of fruits each day is more than enough progress. Don't worry about going too slow, or you'll end up with tonnes of days worth of fruit at the end with everything done already.

Semajer

Ok, looking at it now I can count 4 entries you've not listed there.
The very first one, "Moving". Might be around where either the Captain or Alph landed. But then again, it might be a beginning of the game thing, might have disappeared in a return visit if you know what I mean. Some new things pop up in those areas when you go back.

Second, "Ultra-Spicy Nectar". Just after the using ultra spicy spare, this one describes when a Captain sucks up the nectar blob from an egg or such.

Third and Fourth, The Anti Electrifier suit and the Scorch Guard suit. I'm not sure if you have either of these upgrades. I can't completely remember which is exactly where, along with Metal Suit Z, but the three suits are found;
In Tropical Shore, in the route that leads from where Alph landed in a small pond to just over the first bridge you build near the spaceship site. You'll find one of the three here.

Next, right next to where Charlie fell in the Tundra. Being Yellow Pikmin and dig one of the two mounds of snow here for the second suit upgrade.

Third, in the Twilight River, in the Back section, near where you have to throw a captain from the Lily pad to the bouncing mushroom to reach bridge materials. Past the lily pads and over to where you would throw up extra Pikmin here, you'd have found an Olimar log saying he left something nearby. Look up at the boundary walls, and you'll see a mound of dirt you can throw yellows up to to dig.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, I'll check those places out. You should fix the spoilers for my message that you quoted though.

Shahadan

couldn't you at least have found some blue/purple flowers or something. that's just disgusting.

I also play with wiimote/gamepad btw

It was an accident I swear

Ypq3hzz.jpg

My pikmins are disappointing, fortunately yellows love me enough to do what it takes to amuse me

nhkYV84.jpg

80 birds in one stone!

It was an accident I swear

Ypq3hzz.jpg

My pikmins are disappointing, fortunately yellows love me enough to do what it takes to amuse me

nhkYV84.jpg

80 birds in one stone!

The amazing thing is that I feel so attached to Pikmin that I actually consider to put you on my ignore list for those mass murder pics.

The only thing that saves you is your wonderfied avatar at this point :p

zoukka

Game is dope.

But I somehow lost the second boss and the prize fruit without any edplanation? The pikmin never returned them and they don't show up on radar... Sad.

Shahadan

The amazing thing is that I feel so attached to Pikmin that I actually consider to put you on my ignore list for those mass murder pics.

The only thing that saves you is your wonderfied avatar at this point :p

The would transport you to their onion the minute you'd fall asleep and you know that !

Getting my arse kicked by the first "boss". Or rather, I refuse to sacrifice so many pikmin. There's got to be a way to do it without him eating 25+ of them. The little guys just trail so far behind me that I can't help a bunch of them getting caught every time he charges.

Raptomex

Great OT. The first Pikmin game I'm going to own. My friend let me play the others. I should probably pick them up if I can find them.

Top Bottom