• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

zoukka

Getting my arse kicked by the first "boss". Or rather, I refuse to sacrifice so many pikmin. There's got to be a way to do it without him eating 25+ of them. The little guys just trail so far behind me that I can't help a bunch of them getting caught every time he charges.

I think he doesn't eat them all, just keep hitting him and he'll open his jaws.

Semajer

Getting my arse kicked by the first "boss". Or rather, I refuse to sacrifice so many pikmin. There's got to be a way to do it without him eating 25+ of them. The little guys just trail so far behind me that I can't help a bunch of them getting caught every time he charges.

Do what I did:

Leave a group of reds outside the cave, and take a few rocks with you. Aim mainly for his jaw things at first, and if he catches any Pikmin throw rocks until you break some of the armour, which will force him to free your caught Pikmin. You can break his jaws completely, after which it will be safer for any idle Pikmin. After you've destroy a few pieces of armour get your reds and whittle down his health.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

How many rock pikmins are you bringing with you? I beat him with about 35 rock pikmins only, left all reds outside, and no one died

Jofamo

Man, not having any information online about these
secret memos
is doing my box in haha.

Here's what I have so far;

There's 10 to collect, and so far it seems like there's 2 in every area. Although I can't remember where I found the second in Twilight River, I've definitely only found one in Formidable Oak. Logic would assume the final one is there somewhere, but I've combed it from head to toe, destroyed every mushroom and still nothing.

To top it off, we have no idea what it even unlocks. Japan have had the game over a month but I can't find anything, except Miyamoto teasing the Dev community on Miiverse about them.

I found this link http://m.chaptercheats.com/cheat/wii-u/101512/Pikmin-3/egg/2638/ which is either BS or something legit. If he's to be believed, there's a secret mode where you might play AI in bingo battle, and Louie is the second to last boss. If you read the diary after completing the game, you'll notice Charlie says that they thought that Louie was on board when they left, but they can't find him anywhere.

So what's going on?!

Semajer

secret memos
is doing my box in haha.

There's 10 to collect, and so far it seems like there's 2 in every area. Although I can't remember where I found the second in Twilight River, I've definitely only found one in Formidable Oak. Logic would assume the final one is there somewhere, but I've combed it from head to toe, destroyed every mushroom and still nothing.

To top it off, we have no idea what it even unlocks. Japan have had the game over a month but I can't find anything, except Miyamoto teasing the Dev community on Miiverse about them.

I found this link http://m.chaptercheats.com/cheat/wii-u/101512/Pikmin-3/egg/2638/ which is either BS or something legit. If he's to be believed, there's a secret mode where you might play AI in bingo battle, and Louie is the second to last boss. If you read the diary after completing the game, you'll notice Charlie says that they thought that Louie was on board when they left, but they can't find him anywhere.

So what's going on?!

I'm with you. I've only got that last
Secret Memo
to find. I have no idea how I missed those two
suit upgrades
, I even went back to both of those areas to see if anything had changed.

I'm struggling to remember which things I picked up are Secret Memos, and which are Olimar's Notes. Also, like you, I don't remember a second one from Twilight River, and I'm not sure if I got a second one from Formidable Oak.

XaosWolf

secret memos
is doing my box in haha.

So what's going on?!

I'm with you. I've only got that last
Secret Memo
to find. I have no idea how I missed those two
suit upgrades
, I even went back to both of those areas to see if anything had changed.

I'm struggling to remember which things I picked up are Secret Memos, and which are Olimar's Notes. Also, like you, I don't remember a second one from Twilight River, and I'm not sure if I got a second one from Formidable Oak.

I distinctly remember there being one in Formidable Oak
in a Mushroom within the loop just behind the labyrinth's Rock Wall shortcut that the Are Hint mentions.

I'll check mine against yours once I get home. I know I definitely missed the
Flameproof suit, as I have the other two and was certain there'd be that last one. =)

Semajer

I distinctly remember there being one in Formidable Oak
in a Mushroom within the loop just behind the labyrinth's Rock Wall shortcut that the Are Hint mentions.

I'll check mine against yours once I get home. I know I definitely missed the
Flameproof suit, as I have the other two and was certain there'd be that last one. =)

I remember that one in
Formidable Oak
. I thought it was an
Olimar Note
telling you to bomb-rock the wall, but I just checked, and it must be one of the captains that mentions that.

This means that my last
Secret Memo
is in
Twilight River
, I just wish I knew where.

Lyonaz

I played some before going to work this morning. Game is sooo charming, love the graphics, could use some AA but still so pretty.

Need to get the nunchuck controller from my sister's place for that sexy pointer action. So I'm planning for some quality Pikmin time tonight. Stupid work.

Semajer

I remember that one in
Formidable Oak
. I thought it was an
Olimar Note
telling you to bomb-rock the wall, but I just checked, and it must be one of the captains that mentions that.

This means that my last
Secret Memo
is in
Twilight River

Actually, no. That was an
Area Hint
called
Shortcut
I was thinking of. So my last
Secret Memo
is likely in
Twilight River, or Formidable Oak.

Jofamo

I remember that one in
Formidable Oak
. I thought it was an
Olimar Note

This means that my last
Secret Memo
is in
Twilight River

Now that you guys mention it,
i seem to remember that other one in formidable oak as well. Ok. It seems like we're definitely looking for another in Twilight River. The first was definitely underneath the bridge pieces in the second area. So logic would assume it's in the starting area somewhere, or perhaps the boss lair. Time to go hunting.

zroid

Banned
I played some before going to work this morning. Game is sooo charming, love the graphics, could use some AA but still so pretty.

Need to get the nunchuck controller from my sister's place for that sexy pointer action. So I'm planning for some quality Pikmin time tonight. Stupid work.

7ksr.png

Just one more fruit before I head off to tackle what I assume is the final area, oh I can see that final tasty treat, I just need to remember where the bomb rocks are in Twilight River when I return to the game later.

fred

Love Nintendo or hate them they have this uncannily consistent ability over several decades to release games that are simply delightful.

Semajer

Now that you guys mention it,
i seem to remember that other one in formidable oak as well. Ok. It seems like we're definitely looking for another in Twilight River. The first was definitely underneath the bridge pieces in the second area. So logic would assume it's in the starting area somewhere, or perhaps the boss lair. Time to go hunting.

AW YISS. Found it!

It's
in Twilight River, to the right of the tree branches that lead up to the boss. You throw one of the captains towards some roots and then walk around.

I'm going to beat the final boss again, and see if anything changes.

The game looks great but after hearing the rumor about a possible Wind Waker HD bundle I'm not sure if I should wait on buying...ugh.

Jofamo

AW YISS. Found it!

It's
in Twilight River, to the right of the tree branches that lead up to the boss. You throw one of the captains towards some roots and then walk around.

Amazing! Thank you it was driving me nuts!

Shahadan

Z3qompG.jpg

Don't worry kids I'm just going to buy a pack of cigarettes, I'll be right back !

Cm39kDE.jpg

fuck paying for child support.

I'll kill pikmins everyday until I get me Premium Discount points
Anyway got all fruits. 66 is a weird number though. I wish they had gone for 100 or something

Z3qompG.jpg

Don't worry kids I'm just going to buy a pack of cigarettes, I'll be right back !

Cm39kDE.jpg

fuck paying for child support.

I'll kill pikmins everyday until I get me Premium Discount points
Anyway got all fruits. 66 is a weird number though. I wish they had gone for 100 or something
I just wanted to let you know how much of a horrible person you are.

Jofamo

Okay, as far as I can tell nothing happens when you collect all the
Secret Memos

What.
The.
Fuck!?

Well, the numbers must mean something. I tried bringing out Pikmin from the onion in relation to them (so like, 8 Pink, then 3 Rock etc) but nothing happened. How about you tell me all your numbers? It's strange that everyone's are different. I never found a number 5, but had two 8s and two 3s. Ill tell you mine in a second.

Edit: Ok, in order I have;
4 (Blue)
2 (Rock)
3 (Pink)
6 (Yellow)
7 (Rock)
8 (Pink)
6 (Yellow)
8 (Pink)
3 (Pink)
1 (Yellow)

I wonder what it could mean. You had loads of 9s eh? I wonder if anyone has a 10.

One day Shahadan your twisted ways will come back to haunt you, those abandoned Pikmin could probably take that Bulborb and when you touch down to the planet again they will find you and drag you off to the onion.
Actually if you got all the fruit then you wont be heading back there...damn.

Okay, as far as I can tell nothing happens when you collect all the
Secret Memos

What.
The.
Fuck!?

image.php

So a bit off-topic but how annoying was Pikmin 1 for the GC? I picked up a copy as well as NPC Pikmin 2 (NPC Pikmin 1 is kind of expensive now) last year to prep for Pikmin 3. How easy is it to play through the game and put yourself in an unwinnable situation without knowing it?

afoni

Banned
So a bit off-topic but how annoying was Pikmin 1 for the GC? I picked up a copy as well as NPC Pikmin 2 (NPC Pikmin 1 is kind of expensive now) last year to prep for Pikmin 3. How easy is it to play through the game and put yourself in an unwinnable situation without knowing it?

As long as you collect one item a day, Pikmin 1 shouldn't be too taxing.

I have to restart if I lose too many Pikmin in this. I lost 80 by accident earlier and then just immediately reset. ;-;

Jofamo

Wait wait, so hold up.

Together, we have 0-9. That's 10 numbers. The fact you found a 0 makes me think the Pikmin shown on them don't have to do with bringing up them out of the onion, at least I don't think.

Or maybe, if you bring them out in order from 0 to 9, and take out how many are shown of that type on the image (my Number 4 has two blue Pikmin on it.

Can you tell me what is on your 0, 5 and 9 images?

Mines are
4 (2 Blue)
2 (1 Rock)
3 (2 Pink)
6 (2 Yellow)
7 (2 Rock)
8 (2 Pink)
6 (2 Yellow)
8 (2 Pink)
3 (2 Pink)
1 (2 Yellow)

D-e-f-

Banned

How annoying was Pikmin 1? Not at all.

The game isn't long. If you play a few in-game days to get the feel for things and then start over it shouldn't be any problem, even if you can't restart a day in the GCN original.

Semajer

Wait wait, so hold up.

Together, we have 0-9. That's 10 numbers. The fact you found a 0 makes me think the Pikmin shown on them don't have to do with bringing up them out of the onion, at least I don't think.

Or maybe, if you bring them out in order from 0 to 9, and take out how many are shown of that type on the image (my Number 4 has two blue Pikmin on it.

Can you tell me what is on your 0, 5 and 9 images?

Mine are:

0 (Red)
9 (Blue)
3 (Flying)
4 (Blue)
5 (Red)
5 (Red)
0 (Red)
4 (Blue)
9 (Blue)
8 (Flying)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
well it has some elements of a puzzle game, but mostly action RTS gameplay

Semajer

How many Pikmin are shown on the 0, 5 and 9? It might be the key to it all.

There is:
one Red Pikmin on 0, two Red Pikmin on 5, and one Blue Pikmin on 9.

I'm just off to work now, so won't be able to check anything else for a few hours. I'll keep watching the thread to see if you've figured anything out.

Jofamo

There is:

I'm just off to work now, so won't be able to check anything else for a few hours. I'll keep watching the thread to see if you've figured anything out.

Haha. Ill see what I can do. I'm taking a break for a couple of hours two, but ill give it a good think over.
I just tried bringing out Pikmin in the orders 0-9, and with those amounts and types as seen on the images, but nothing happened.

XaosWolf

AW YISS. Found it!

It's

Awesome! If it the area I think it is, then I KNEW there had to be something around there! =D

There is:

Haha. Ill see what I can do. I'm taking a break for a couple of hours two, but ill give it a good think over.
I just tried bringing out Pikmin in the orders 0-9, and with those amounts and types as seen on the images, but nothing happened.

I'll still have one more Secret Memo to find after that one above, but then I'll be right on to helping work anything out. I know I have two 8's in my set.

Hopefully it isn't some sort of timed lock, but if it is, then at least we'll be ready for it. =D

nubbe

I'm at the end stage, but I kinda enjoy Nintendo Land's Pikmin more... and it has better music
That bagpipe rocks the house

Does this game have a super guide? i've been trying to see if it does but doesn't seem to be much info

being a miyamoto game and his love for that i would think so?

if it does what is it?

Jofamo

Awesome! If it the area I think it is, then I KNEW there had to be something around there! =D

I'll still have one more Secret Memo to find after that one above, but then I'll be right on to helping work anything out. I know I have two 8's in my set.

Hopefully it isn't some sort of timed lock, but if it is, then at least we'll be ready for it. =D

Well I think we know for sure where they all are now.

Garden of Hope;
-One in the area that opens after Louie escapes. In the tin next to the crab
-
One on top of the second part of the outside seesaw puzzle, past an electric fence

Distant Tundra
-One in the Bulbears den that's past a Flying Pikmin gate inside a fiery cave, behind some tin sheets in the middle.
-
One right next to the starting site, on the ledge with a snowman. Involves some tricky captain throwing.

Tropical Shore
-One after the seesaw puzzle, once your captain is up on the stump, follow the branch with mushrooms on it, past the hole leading down to anther area, should be a secret memo.
-
One in the water area where you fight the crystalised walker thing

Twilight River
-One underneath the bridge materials in the second area, on a stump you need to throw a captain to
-
One is just before you head up to the main boss area, after you cross the branch bridge but before you proceed to the next area, throw a captain over the branches to the boundary space and walk around

Formidable Oak
-One hidden in the mushrooms in the first, long corridor inside area, behind the bomb wall.
-
One is hidden in a dig hole in the final dark cave area. In the final stretch, before the clipboard and dirt wall

XaosWolf

Garden of Hope;
-
One in the area that opens after Louie escapes. In the tin next to the crab
-
One on top of the second part of the outside seesaw puzzle, past an electric fence

Distant Tundra
-
One in the Bulbears den that's past a Flying Pikmin gate inside a fiery cave, behind some tin sheets in the middle.
-
One right next to the starting site, on the ledge with a snowman. Involves some tricky captain throwing.

Tropical Shore
-
One after the seesaw puzzle, once your captain is up on the stump, follow the branch with mushrooms on it, past the hole leading down to anther area, should be a secret memo.
-

Twilight River
-
One underneath the bridge materials in the second area, on a stump you need to throw a captain to
-
One is just before you head up to the main boss area, after you cross the branch bridge but before you proceed to the next area, throw a captain over the branches to the boundary space and walk around

Formidable Oak
-
One hidden in the mushrooms in the first, long corridor inside area, behind the bomb wall.
-
One is hidden in a dig hole in the final dark cave area. In the final stretch, before the clipboard and dirt wall

A HUGE help. Only an hour left of work, then I will search the hell out of em.
I believe I've narrowed it down to:
Distant Tundra
-One in the Bulbears den that's past a Flying Pikmin gate inside a fiery cave, behind some tin sheets in the middle. (I know I've been in there, but it bears checking again)

Twilight River
-One underneath the bridge materials in the second area, on a stump you need to throw a captain to (Don't remember exactly which part this is, so I'll check on the way to the next one)
-One is just before you head up to the main boss area, after you cross the branch bridge but before you proceed to the next area, throw a captain over the branches to the boundary space and walk around (DEFINITELY missed this one =D )

Formidable Oak
-One is hidden in a dig hole in the final dark cave area. In the final stretch, before the clipboard and dirt wall (Think I got the two in here already, but worth double-checking)

All these spoiler tags are quite a tease. =P

D-e-f-

Banned
Does this game have a super guide? i've been trying to see if it does but doesn't seem to be much info

being a miyamoto game and his love for that i would think so?

if it does what is it?

Doubt it. I bet they would've mentioned it and I don't think it makes any sense in this one. There's the hint memos that take care of helping you out.

Has anyone had the opportunity to try out bingo mode. If so, impressions?

May I direct you here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFfbyq3jtjA

Semajer

Garden of Hope;
-
One in the area that opens after Louie escapes. In the tin next to the crab
-

Distant Tundra
-
One in the Bulbears den that's past a Flying Pikmin gate inside a fiery cave, behind some tin sheets in the middle.
-

Tropical Shore
-
One after the seesaw puzzle, once your captain is up on the stump, follow the branch with mushrooms on it, past the hole leading down to anther area, should be a secret memo.
-

Twilight River
-
One underneath the bridge materials in the second area, on a stump you need to throw a captain to
-

Formidable Oak
-
One hidden in the mushrooms in the first, long corridor inside area, behind the bomb wall.
-

I'm quite sure that the
Formidable Oak mushroom one you mentioned is an Area Hint, not a Secret Memo.

Jofamo

I'm quite sure that the
Formidable Oak mushroom one you mentioned is an Area Hint, not a Secret Memo.

In pretty sure there's two right beside each other.
There's one out in the open, right behind the bomb wall that I'm sure is the area hint (that mentions it's a good shortcut) and then there's something else that pops out when you destroy the nearby mushrooms that I'm sure is a memo.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I lost so many Pikmin due to their moronic path finding AI… what good is the auto navigate feature if the Pikmin get stuck or walk into water so often?

Top Bottom