• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Jofamo

So for anyone wanting to help, so far we have;

0 (1 Red)
1 (2 Yellow)
2 (1 Rock)
3 (2 Pink)
4 (2 Blue)
5 (2 Red)
6 (2 Yellow)
7 (2 Rock)
8 (2 Pink)
9 (1 Blue)

This seems to be them all. No idea what it is, but I think I'm gonna try and take that number of each Pikmin together and do something stupid like try and lift Olimars crashed ship.

This is getting desperate. Reminds me of the old play school rumours.

Edit: sorry. Yeah ill go spoiler those.

XaosWolf

I'm quite sure that the
Formidable Oak mushroom one you mentioned is an Area Hint, not a Secret Memo.

In pretty sure there's two right beside each other.
There's one out in the open, right behind the bomb wall that I'm sure is the area hint (that mentions it's a good shortcut) and then there's something else that pops out when you destroy the nearby mushrooms that I'm sure is a memo.

Definitely one in a mushroom, and not an Area Hint as I'd already gotten the hint and bombed the wall (and finished the game) before going back and smashing them 'shrooms.

I finished the main game, 41 days, all the fruits and just over 10 hours. I thoroughly enjoyed the game from start to finish, hopefully i'll be able to get around to some challenges and multiplayer with my usual Pkimin 2 co-op partner soon.

I'd dive in on
the secret note stuff but because I got the last one on the same day as I finished the game i'm unable to look at all of them right now unless I go back through the Oak, boooo.
I might go back and grab it again later, after all it's thanks to you lot I found the two I was missing.

Jofamo

I finished the main game, 41 days, all the fruits and just over 10 hours. I thoroughly enjoyed the game from start to finish, hopefully i'll be able to get around to some challenges and multiplayer with my usual Pkimin 2 co-op partner soon.

I'd dive in on
the secret note stuff but because I got the last one on the same day as I finished the game i'm unable to look at all of them right now unless I go back through the Oak, boooo.
I might go back and grab it again later, after all it's thanks to you lot I found the two I was missing.

Ive left it in such a way that the Plasm Wraith only has about an eighth health left. I played through the final stage, collecting the memos and data files, the fought it, but before I killed it and ended the game, I went back to the ship and ended the day. Now when I start Formidable Oak, the wraith is just waiting at the bottom area, with next to no health, so that I can finish again at any time. Plus all the inside areas are clear to explore.

Ive left it in such a way that the Plasm Wraith only has about an eighth health left. I played through the final stage, collecting the memos and data files, the fought it, but before I killed it and ended the game, I went back to the ship and ended the day. Now when I start Formidable Oak, the wraith is just waiting at the bottom area, with next to no health, so that I can finish again at any time. Plus all the inside areas are clear to explore.

it's actually close to death on my last day anyway so i'm already part of the way there on this plan, I guess it wouldn't hurt to knock the health down to a sliver after getting the note and ending the day.
In retrospect I should be happy I didn't finish it in my first fight with it, then i'd have to tackle a bunch of those inside areas again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Enjoying it so far, but a couple of niggles.

Firstly I wish I had np better control over the camera. The very first boss appears a PITA without being able to spin the camera - often coming at me from out of the screen.

Secondly - why do pikmin treat grapes like bridges? Just take the grape and stay at the damn onion. I end up having to intercept them on their way back.

Any way to zoom the map?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Game is dope.

But I somehow lost the second boss and the prize fruit without any edplanation? The pikmin never returned them and they don't show up on radar... Sad.

They take the other exit and get blocked by a bag unless you clear the way first. I got stuck there too. If you wait until the next day the boss will be back in the cave (but still dead)

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Game is dope.

But I somehow lost the second boss and the prize fruit without any edplanation? The pikmin never returned them and they don't show up on radar... Sad.

Happend to me as well. My Pikmin carrying the third boss got stuck in a tunnel between two zones. I could still see them from one Zone but I couldn't select them. They where also not registered as Pikmin to be lost at the end of the day. :-/

Jofamo

I can't for the life of me figure the
secret memos
out.

It's odd the the Pikmin colours featured repeat themselves. Red, Yellow, Rock, Pink, Blue, then the same again. The random numbers are very weird too, but I think that's an intentional push towards Miiverse and community. Miyamoto posted on the Japanese Pikmin Developer community, teasing the secret memos. I expect he hopes people will talk about it there and figure out that in order to see every number 0-9 we need to work together. But now we have them all and have no idea what to do.

Shahadan

"Hey guys tehere are secret memos to fins" - Miyamoto

"I should probably dance wearing a pink top on a moonless night to unlock the mysterious feature those memos are there for" - People

That said, AI bingo battles, as ridiculous as it sounds, would be godlike
Just remember this is the company who teased an awesome secret in NSMB2 for months and it was just an ugly title screen.

LAA

Very interested in this secret memo talk...
Only got 2, I think I'll wait till we have a confirmed list of all the memo locations though and what the secret memo's actually do/mean.

I suspect whether it has something to do with:
The SS Drake crash hinted not being an accident at the end...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I took a break from the main story after the
sand worm
killed a lot of my pikmins and I am playing now the co-op missions with my girlfriend. They are great and challenging. As I played this time with a wiimote I have to say that I like more the gamepad just for the ability of freely moving the camera.

MegalonJJ

Banned
For those who managed to download early thanks to the Game.co.uk codes, has Pikmin 3 appeared in your Nintendo Network Premium account?

JoeInky

Any speedruns for this game yet? I really enjoy watching Pikmin speedruns. Going to be fun seeing how few days the game can be completed in.

Also anything about the "accidental" Drake crash been found out yet?

Jofamo

I just decided to google translate what Miyamoto said on Miiverse for myself regarding the memos, and I guess we just need to wait.

Hi there It is the Miyamoto of Nintendo. All of you are playing Pikmin 3, do you enjoy it? Do not have the person you are playing the story mode, I found a "secret memo"? In fact, when I prepare 10 pieces of this "secret memo", encryption of one's got to complete. At a later date, I'll inform you how to use, if available, please make a note. Also bingo battle and mission, please try to play it!

It's be nice to figure it out for ourselves, but I have a feeling it's something so out there that it'd be impossible to guess. Time for mission mode I think.

It's not showing up in my Premium account.

How many points did it give you by the way? 34.99 or 39.99 worth?

You definitely downloaded it early from Game code right?

I got the code from Game, on the day actually not early.

It's come up as £33.61 and I've earned 336pts because of it.

For those who managed to download early thanks to the Game.co.uk codes, has Pikmin 3 appeared in your Nintendo Network Premium account?

It has not shown up for anybody that redeemed the download code from Game-UK earlier than the official release day.
Nintendo customer services have said that because the code was redeemed before Pikmin 3 was officially released that it will not be rewarded points for the Nintendo Network Premium account.

As I said before they have also stated that because of being redeemed early it will not be valid for the 30% off W101.

Of course the game still got registered fine on Club Nintendo so you get stars to go towards the shite they have on there.

Hopefully Nintendo Europe will let the UK Customer Services know this week that there has been a mistake & all will be good.

At least the game is amazing!

MegalonJJ

Banned
Ah I see.

Right, for those guys who downloaded early, of which the fault lies entirely with GameUK, it's time to start emailing Nintendo customer support.

Edit: Just read your post Midnight. I know technically it was early, but they ought to give us the points and W101 deal. It was Game's fault and it would seem silly to to disallow their (small) userbase from having access to the points and W101 deal.

XaosWolf

I just decided to google translate what Miyamoto said on Miiverse for myself regarding the memos, and I guess we just need to wait.

It's be nice to figure it out for ourselves, but I have a feeling it's something so out there that it'd be impossible to guess. Time for mission mode I think.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Found my last one! It was the one in the final area cave. Now ready for whatever it is that Nintendo have planned at least.
That is unless it's something people figure out beforehand.

Here's my list:
4 - 2 Blue
2 - 1 Rock
3 - 2 Flying
6 - 2 Yellow
7 - 2 Rock
8 - 2 Flying
6 - 2 Yellow
8 - 2 Flying
3 - 2 Flying
1 - 2 Yellow

Jofamo

Found my last one! It was the one in the final area cave. Now ready for whatever it is that Nintendo have planned at least.

Here's my list:
4 - 2 Blue
2 - 1 Rock
3 - 2 Flying
6 - 2 Yellow
7 - 2 Rock
8 - 2 Flying
6 - 2 Yellow
8 - 2 Flying
3 - 2 Flying
1 - 2 Yellow

You ended up with exactly the same numbers as me, 2 3's, 2 6's and 2 8's as well. Strange. Wonder what Miyamoto means by encryption.

Shahadan

Ah I see.

Edit: Just read your post Midnight. I know technically it was early, but they ought to give us the points and W101 deal. It was Game's fault and it would seem silly to to disallow their (small) userbase from having access to the points and W101 deal.
Or because it is small they won't care.
Ultimately, buying pikmin and w101 via Game I'll pay the same amount I would have with the promotion so I don't care, but I feel I should get my points. Especially since they never mention any date for that

Sinthetic

Played the first 2 days and I'm consistently blown away by how stunning this looks. It's very familiar but still feels just different enough.

Throwing the Rock Mins is so satisfying haha. I'm playing with the + and Nunchuk, it feels more quick and accurate to me. I'm starting to feel that the Gamepad may be a hindrance in some respects.

I'm not going to rush this, it's taken this long to come out and I won't be blitzing through it in a day.

Here's my list:
4 - 2 Blue
2 - 1 Rock
3 - 2 Flying
6 - 2 Yellow
7 - 2 Rock
8 - 2 Flying
6 - 2 Yellow
8 - 2 Flying
3 - 2 Flying
1 - 2 Yellow

You ended up with exactly the same numbers as me, 2 3's, 2 6's and 2 8's as well. Strange. Wonder what Miyamoto means by encryption.

And here I was literally about to note down my numbers with gamepad on hand, yep this is the same as my order as well.
Not sure whether the plot is thickening or thinning at this point.

Oh well, time to take out the time for some snapshots.

Joqu

Man I forgot how much stress Pikmin games give me.

Those other modes are a lot of fun by the way, I'm pleasantly surprised!

jepense

Cleared the first boss and built a bridge. Also did some photography. The game is so good. Also, there are not that many enemies in the beginning - it's mostly puzzles and opening routes. (I like it.) How does the enemy/puzzle ratio change as the game progresses?

xandaca

So far, after about four hours, it's a good game, not great. The strategic nature of the game makes it difficult not to have fun, but the worlds feel more 'constructed' than those of the previous two (which felt like more natural, garden-esque environments) and trying to play the game using analogues is horrible. The way the targeting reticule moves has obviously been optimised for the Wii remote and it gets infuriating trying to line up a shot when movement and aiming using the same stick. Having to collect fruit to stay alive is a nice compromise between the 30-day limit of the original and the untimed sequel, although for some reason it felt more rewarding collecting ship parts or just random everyday items. As I said, still a fun game and hopefully it'll get better as I go on, but so far it's a 6 or at a stretch 7 out of 10 for me.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The way the targeting reticule moves has obviously been optimised for the Wii remote and it gets infuriating trying to line up a shot when movement and aiming using the same stick.

If you use the camera and lock the target using ZL the fact that the moving and and the target are on the same stick doesn't matter anymore.

Well I said i'd go take a picture, oh it took some work and I unfortunately lost the lives of three pikmin in the pursuit of ART but sacrifices must be made.

zlCfzRENQ2g6ImlZQO

I could get addicted to this, forget Pokemon snap, it's all about that Pikmin Snap.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Well I said i'd go take a picture, oh it took some work and I unfortunately lost the lives of three pikmin in the pursuit of ART but sacrifices must be made.

zlCfzRENQ2g6ImlZQO

I could get addicted to this, forget Pokemon snap, it's all about that Pikmin Snap.
I like it a lot!

I herd there's a good and a bad ending, does anyone know what must be achieved to get the good one?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh god the
sand worm thing
is so frustrating. Finally did it but took me the entire day (including a bit of time to stock up on a few
bomb rocks)
but had to wait unto the next day to have time to collect stuff. NO basically two days just for at (including a few restarts)

Wasn't even really fun, you're just fighting to get a good angle before it disappears

Semajer

And here I was literally about to note down my numbers with gamepad on hand, yep this is the same as my order as well.
Not sure whether the plot is thickening or thinning at this point.

Oh well, time to take out the time for some snapshots.

Does this make me special? My order is:
0 9 3 4 5 5 0 4 9 8

The_Lump

Banned
Anyone else notice some pretty big framerate drops since the day one update? (those that had it before day one) At last I didn't notice any before then but maybe I hadn't got far enough to encounter whatever is triggering it...

Mainly when you've got ~90 in a squad and specifically when walking across those fluffy flower thingys?

zlCfzRENQ2g6ImlZQO

It's actually one of the things I most look forward to with this game. The photography. Nintendo should make a section for user in game screen shots and post them, allow websites to use them in Pikmin 3 stories, etc.

Great picture by the way.

Sorry you lost 3 Pikmin though :(

I like it a lot!

I herd there's a good and a bad ending, does anyone know what must be achieved to get the good one?

Lovely picture.
Cheers!
As for that ending question I have no idea, I think mine was a good ending? maybe the bad ending is like Pikmin 1 style failure to meet the target (in this case running out of food) and the good one is simply beating the game.

Does this make me special? My order is:
0 9 3 4 5 5 0 4 9 8
For now it does, I wonder what the deal is with these things.

It's actually one of the things I most look forward to with this game. The photography. Nintendo should make a section for user in game screen shots and post them, allow websites to use them in Pikmin 3 stories, etc.

Great picture by the way.

Sorry you lost 3 Pikmin though :(
I tested some red pikmins abilities to stand on the wet rocks close to the waters edge, yeah they kind of slid off. Though they did survive a good minute clinging onto the rocks for dear life until some aquatic fellow gobbled them up.
And then one of my flying dudes just straight up suicided on me by divebombing after said aquatic fellow seemingly forgetting its lack of gills.

A special area for pictures would work quite nicely, it's a shame that you can't stick them in like a photo album, it's miiverse or bust it seems.

Top Bottom