• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

The game looks very impressive during the landing sequence, the way you zoom in to the landing site. Too bad you can't zoom out and in during the gameplay...

Damn, looking at some of these screens... it's a beautiful game! It's just a shame some of the textures are such low resolution, and some of the geometry suffers too... Pikmin 4, I imagine, will look glorious.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm using the gamepad so I can play in bed, haven't tried the Wiimote. It feels a little clumsy sometimes, aiming and movement both being on the left stick is a bit... clumsy. During intense moments at least.

If you lock on with ZL (?) you can aim and move, I think? A couple of people mentioned that. Someone confirm!

I'll play the single player campaign with the gamepad, but I think the missus wants to use it during multiplayer, so I'll have to switch to Wiimote when we get around to it.

Bingo Battle is Wiimote only, afaik. Not sure about Mission Mode, though. Again, someone confirm? :D

klier

If you lock on with ZL (?) you can aim and move, I think? A couple of people mentioned that. Someone confirm!

Bingo Battle is Wiimote only, afaik. Not sure about Mission Mode, though. Again, someone confirm? :D

Yep. It's very useful too, because when you lock on, you can send the entire squadron at once with a single little waggle of the nunchuck.

klier

I am 42 days into the story, haven't played anyhing else yet. I want to collect everything before going to the final field, too.

No Bingo Battle experience yet at all.

Edit; sorry for the confusion, but I don't play with the Gamepad. Wiimote is the only way to go here in this game. But I assume all Wiimote functions are mapped to the gamepad somehow (in an awkward unnatural way)

Semajer

Well, that's Platinum Medals for all of the Treasure Mission Mode done, well, except for co-op, if that's even given separate medals. It's amazing how you can just barely miss the platinum by a few seconds, and then with a few adjustments manage it with over a minute to spare. Fantastic mode.

I remember reading about the possibility of Pikmin DLC, what would you want from this? Personally, I'd like some more missions, and some more story,
with Olimar, Louie, and the President, or just Olimar and Louie, showing what happens to them before, and during the course of the game
, that use the white and purple Pikmin instead of the rock, and flying.

Perhaps a couple of new, or extended areas, and a couple of Pikmin 2 style caves. Also some Bulbmin, everyone forgets about those poor things.

ASIS

Well, that's Platinum Medals for all of the Treasure Mission Mode done, well, except for co-op, if that's even given separate medals. It's amazing how you can just barely miss the platinum by a few seconds, and then with a few adjustments manage it with over a minute to spare. Fantastic mode.

I remember reading about the possibility of Pikmin DLC, what would you want from this? Personally, I'd like some more missions, and some more story,
with Olimar, Louie, and the President, or just Olimar and Louie, showing what happens to them before, and during the course of the game
, that use the white and purple Pikmin instead of the rock, and flying.

Perhaps a couple of new, or extended areas, and a couple of Pikmin 2 style caves. Also some Bulbmin, everyone forgets about those poor things.

Can you give us your full impressions so far? It seems like you are the most invest in finding every nook and cranny in this game.

zlCfzREQdrAXu07KVH

Trying to get all the fruit before I do the last mission.

Taking my time as well.

I started with Wiimote/Nunchuck (Gamepad in front of me for map and photo action), tried to play with it for 10 seconds. My reaction was
http://i.imgur.com/iqgeIwS.gif[/IMG
and I never looked back.[/QUOTE]
Have you had any problems with controls, as TDM pointed out?
[quote="ThoseDeafMutes, post: 73343161"]I'm using the gamepad so I can play in bed, haven't tried the Wiimote. It feels a little clumsy sometimes, aiming and movement both being on the left stick is a bit... clumsy. During intense moments at least.[/QUOTE]

I can definitely see that. I know you won't be able to answer this, Adam, but is aiming and movement tied in the same way as in Pikmin 1 and 2 on the Gamecube?

Kouriozan

Is the
gold monster
the final boss?
I have done everything so I could rush to the battle aera next time I'll go there
If it is then I'll have to get everything before.

kubus

20 days into the game now, I feel like I've explored all the maps to the point that I have all the fruit I can get with the rsources I have. Although I found the Flying Pikmin, I can't seem to get to them without Blue Pikmin, which I still haven't even located yet. Could someone give me a hint of where to go? I feel like I might have missed something pretty obvious and I don't feel like going over all the maps AGAIN to find Blues :(.

So far the game is fantastic though. I'm loving the graphics, the game is absolutely beautiful. Am I the only one who thinks Brittany is a bitch? Lol

20 days into the game now, I feel like I've explored all the maps to the point that I have all the fruit I can get with the rsources I have. Although I found the Flying Pikmin, I can't seem to get to them without Blue Pikmin, which I still haven't even located yet. Could someone give me a hint of where to go? I feel like I might have missed something pretty obvious and I don't feel like going over all the maps AGAIN to find Blues :(.

So far the game is fantastic though. I'm loving the graphics, the game is absolutely beautiful. Am I the only one who thinks Brittany is a bitch? Lol

You don't need blue pikmin for the flying ones.

Brittany is lovely.

Jofamo

You never have to look hard for the Pikmin Onions. They're right out in the open when the game wants you to find them. If you're having trouble advancing the story, hit (-) on the level select menu to get the characters talking about what you should be doing next. Don't be afraid to advance the story a little until you get all the Pikmin types.

Edit: just noticed you said you found the Flying but can't reach them. Look around more for bridge pieces. They're in three locations.

kubus

You don't need blue pikmin for the flying ones.

Brittany is lovely.

You never have to look hard for the Pikmin Onions. They're right out in the open when the game wants you to find them. If you're having trouble advancing the story, hit (-) on the level select menu to get the characters talking about what you should be doing next. Don't be afraid to advance the story a little until you get all the Pikmin types.

Edit: just noticed you said you found the Flying but can't reach them. Look around more for bridge pieces. They're in three locations.

Thanks! I found two places with bridge parts, but couldn't find the third place. I figured they would be behind the wall in the water, which is why I thought I might need blues first. I've only been once in the Twilight River level so I'll go back there and explore some more! :)

Having a blast.

New to me -> single-player Gamepad features work great with a 2nd player acting as a guide/navigator handling the map, etc (missus in my case)

Some pics from the journey thus far:

zlcfzreiniekgsvx5hdml4s.jpg

zlcfzrelq-8qfnykv_qmld5.jpg

zlcfzrelsqozjnsxwn9db90.jpg

zlcfzremnvmgzvrrdlgtxxx.jpg

zlcfzrems9so_ioqnxhhzr1.jpg

zlcfzrenp_8jlbuxulk3bhi.jpg

zlcfzrem-eaeozxi5tina60.jpg

Have you had any problems with controls, as TDM pointed out?

Yes and no. Actually I didn't even bother to figure out the button layout so can't comment on how good that part is. Though going back to analog aiming is clearly a no go for me. But I knew this for years after I've played the NPC version of the first game. So much better than the GCN controls back then.

Semajer

Can you give us your full impressions so far? It seems like you are the most invest in finding every nook and cranny in this game.

Okay, I'll give it a go. I won't include much in the way of spoilers, but I'll spoiler it just in case.

Overall, it's great.
It looks good, and sounds good. The lighting effects impressed me on several occasions, and I didn't notice the framerate drop at all. The music is good too.

I played with the Wii remote, and although they've changed a few of the controls from Pikmin and Pikmin 2, they work pretty well. The only real complaints I have is that dismissing is done by waggling the nunchuck, and they you cannot switch between the captains that are following you.

The story mode is easily on par with Pikmin and Pikmin 2, although I do miss the caves from Pikmin 2. The areas in Pikmin 3 are larger than in previous games, which somewhat makes up for it. The puzzles are about as difficult too, which is nice. I felt that the pacing was done very well in this game. You are pushed along by the story to visit new areas, but you're able to accomplish a satisfying amount before you've even found all of the Pikmin types.

The story mode length is probably double that of Pikmin, and probably about as long as Pikmin 2, although I spent AGES on the caves in Pikmin 2. It might just be my imagination, but it seems that there are less enemies, and less variety in the enemies than in previous games. The enemies that are in seem a bit less aggressive too, and the reactions, and timing of some of ther older enemies has been changed, which threw me off. There're probably more enemy types than Pikmin 1 had, but I'm sure that Pikmin 2 had way more, which is disappointing. There's no Pikolopedia either, which is stupid. The boss enemies are impressive, and fun to fight.

There is a way of seeing all the fruits you've collected, and Brittany does some commentary on them, which is nice. There are quite a number of secrets, and they are well hidden for the most part. The Exploration Notes that you pick up provide a nice little story, which is something I wasn't expecting.

The Mission Mode, which I'm about 2/3rd of the way through Platinuming is FANTASTIC. There seem to be 5 levels per section, with the sections being; Collect treasure!, Battle enemies!, and Defeat bosses!

Collect treasure! has you simultaneously balancing Pikmin acquisition (they are planted in the field in various places), defeating enemies, and carrying everything back to the onion within the time limit. It's just all the fun parts of Pikmin thrown into a quick and easy to play mode where you learn more efficient paths quickly, and don't have the stress of losing Pikmin to worry about.

Battle enemies! is similar, except you have to plan the order you're going to traverse the stage in, and how many of each Pikmin type you need to produce in order to defeat the enemies. There are bomb rocks scattered here and there, and a mini-boss in each area to defeat in addition to regular enemies. So you can choose between saving the bomb rocks for the boss, using them on smaller, but difficult enemies, or using them to blow open walls quickly to unite with your other captains.

I haven't started Defeat bosses!, or played any Bingo Battles yet, but I can imagine they'll be as good as the rest of Mission Mode.

If you have any question I'm happy to answer them.

Daedardus

Okay, I'll give it a go. I won't include much in the way of spoilers, but I'll spoiler it just in case.

Overall, it's great.
It looks good, and sounds good. The lighting effects impressed me on several occasions, and I didn't notice the framerate drop at all.

Why is this a spoiler? ;)

From my personal opinion Bingo Battle and co-op Mission mode are great fun. Game really shines when you have a human player to split the tasks.

Semajer

Why is this a spoiler? ;)

From my personal opinion Bingo Battle and co-op Mission mode are great fun. Game really shines when you have a human player to split the tasks.

Some people would rather not know any details about the game, and seeing as it isn't out in America yet, I thought it would be better to spoiler it than to risk ruining it for someone else.

Daedardus

Some people would rather not know any details about the game, and seeing as it isn't out in America yet, I thought it would be better to spoiler it than to risk ruining it for someone else.

Oh no! The game has a stable framerate! You ruined the game for me!!!

D-e-f-

Banned
Any early indications as to how the game is selling in the UK? It's quite high on the Amazon bestsellers list.

doing good on shopto as well

Yes, I only wrote about the framerate.

Appreciate you being considerate but saying it looks and sounds good in a thread that is full of screenshots and plenty of video to go around, spoiler tagging that really isn't necessary. If someone is this irrationally sensitive what are they doing in this thread in the first place? :)

Semajer

doing good on shopto as well

Appreciate you being considerate but saying it looks and sounds good in a thread that is full of screenshots and plenty of video to go around, spoiler tagging that really isn't necessary. If someone is this irrationally sensitive what are they doing in this thread in the first place? :)

It's less to do with spoilering how I thought it looks and sounds, and more to do with how I can't be arsed to pick out the spoilerish bits and spoiler them separately.

I've got Platinum Medals to earn, I don't be having time for all this spoilering nonsense.

D-e-f-

Banned
You could just leave that part out of the spoiler ;)

Normally it doesn't work in both, unless we were doing something wrong. We didn't really bother with it though.

So to be clear once and for all: In Mission Mode you can mix and match two player controls and in Bingo Battle, it's Wiimotes only, right?

eXistor

Absolutely loving the game. Funny to see this game out-Metroid the last Metroid (you know the one, I'd rather not call it by name). Impeccable presentation.

Semajer

Holy shit at the required Platinum Medal time for the Armoured Mawdad! It's 2 minutes dead. I looked up on youtube to see if there were any techniques for getting it quicker than that, and found a video that has it dead in 19 seconds.

Kouriozan

About those secret notes, here are mine.

5 (2 red)
5 (2 red)
3 (2 pink)
5 (2 red)
6 (2 yellow)
1 (2 yellow)
4 (2 blue)
0 (1 red)
1 (2 yellow)
3 (2 pink)

Oh man, loving every bit of this game. I hadn't played a Pikmin game in so long! Really hope this does well, I want to see a Pikmin built from scratch for this machine.

zlCfzRERIQkz8v6trc

The camera is such a great adition. :)

PS: Love those raindrops at the center (bottom) of the screen +/-.

The game looks so much better while playing, it's not even close in the screenshots.

daakusedo

Can you point at the gamepad with wiimote when it's used for display map?
I read you can set a path for the captains, so if could be done by pointing at the padscreen it would be cool.

Top Bottom