• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Semajer

Okay, I've gotten all the Platinum Medals for Mission Mode. Now we wait until Miyamoto spill the beans on the
Secret Memos.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I have a few questions to those who have finished it/have all the Pikmin types:
I really want the Blue Pikmin. Any hint as to where I can find them? Do I get them before I find the Captain? I've killed the first boss and I've killed the Spider thingy in Tundra (ice world and I've been collecting quite a bit of fruit.

ASIS

Okay, I'll give it a go. I won't include much in the way of spoilers, but I'll spoiler it just in case.

Overall, it's great.
It looks good, and sounds good. The lighting effects impressed me on several occasions, and I didn't notice the framerate drop at all. The music is good too.

I played with the Wii remote, and although they've changed a few of the controls from Pikmin and Pikmin 2, they work pretty well. The only real complaints I have is that dismissing is done by waggling the nunchuck, and they you cannot switch between the captains that are following you.

The story mode is easily on par with Pikmin and Pikmin 2, although I do miss the caves from Pikmin 2. The areas in Pikmin 3 are larger than in previous games, which somewhat makes up for it. The puzzles are about as difficult too, which is nice. I felt that the pacing was done very well in this game. You are pushed along by the story to visit new areas, but you're able to accomplish a satisfying amount before you've even found all of the Pikmin types.

The story mode length is probably double that of Pikmin, and probably about as long as Pikmin 2, although I spent AGES on the caves in Pikmin 2. It might just be my imagination, but it seems that there are less enemies, and less variety in the enemies than in previous games. The enemies that are in seem a bit less aggressive too, and the reactions, and timing of some of ther older enemies has been changed, which threw me off. There're probably more enemy types than Pikmin 1 had, but I'm sure that Pikmin 2 had way more, which is disappointing. There's no Pikolopedia either, which is stupid. The boss enemies are impressive, and fun to fight.

There is a way of seeing all the fruits you've collected, and Brittany does some commentary on them, which is nice. There are quite a number of secrets, and they are well hidden for the most part. The Exploration Notes that you pick up provide a nice little story, which is something I wasn't expecting.

The Mission Mode, which I'm about 2/3rd of the way through Platinuming is FANTASTIC. There seem to be 5 levels per section, with the sections being; Collect treasure!, Battle enemies!, and Defeat bosses!

Collect treasure! has you simultaneously balancing Pikmin acquisition (they are planted in the field in various places), defeating enemies, and carrying everything back to the onion within the time limit. It's just all the fun parts of Pikmin thrown into a quick and easy to play mode where you learn more efficient paths quickly, and don't have the stress of losing Pikmin to worry about.

Battle enemies! is similar, except you have to plan the order you're going to traverse the stage in, and how many of each Pikmin type you need to produce in order to defeat the enemies. There are bomb rocks scattered here and there, and a mini-boss in each area to defeat in addition to regular enemies. So you can choose between saving the bomb rocks for the boss, using them on smaller, but difficult enemies, or using them to blow open walls quickly to unite with your other captains.

I haven't started Defeat bosses!, or played any Bingo Battles yet, but I can imagine they'll be as good as the rest of Mission Mode.

If you have any question I'm happy to answer them.

Thank you so much doe this! It sounds delicious!

JCH!

I really want the Blue Pikmin. Any hint as to where I can find them? Do I get them before I find the Captain? I've killed the first boss and I've killed the Spider thingy in Tundra (ice world and I've been collecting quite a bit of fruit.

Blue Pikmin are the last ones you get, you've still have quite a bit to go before you get to them.

flc

Put about 20-odd hours into the game so far (since Australian release; spent most of my weekend playing heh), have to say it's living up to my expectations. I wasn't really hyped for the game (was planning on getting it but didn't follow it much at all) and I'd say that the tutorial system was very welcome, considering I haven't played a Pikmin game in something like eight years. Working on getting all platinum medals now. I think my story mode time was like 12 hours and 31 in-game days at 100% (had to restart quite a few because of that save corruption problem that the Wii U sometimes has, and I only discovered the charge attack at like day 10 or something).

Most of my praise for the game has already been stated by other people (looks great, plays great, very deep strategy, rewards skill and speed while still being fun for people not interested in such things, and so on) but I really do miss the swarm function (there's a dodge roll and a charge attack that replace two of the functions for it, but there's nothing to stop pikmin from getting stuck on walls every now and then and sometimes you just want to swarm a small group of pikmin instead of every single one, plus the dodge roll makes your pikmin bug out sometimes). I also don't like how dismiss and charge are on the same button/action, since with Wii remote aiming it's easy to accidentally miss your lock-on and dismiss your pikmin instead of charging.

Challenge Mode is fantastic. There are only 10 levels (plus a handful of boss battles), but platinum can be pretty challenging to get, let alone doing it quickly enough to get a high score. I'm definitely interested in going for good scores and story mode times. Probably going to get more levels through DLC, of course.

Anyone else thinking of going for times and high scores?

and Brittany looks like Julia Gillard

Semajer

Blues are the last you get, You'll be able to find them after one of the bosses, and a short story scene.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Cheers guys. (Blue are favourite type. Can't wait to get them).

Edit: Just wanted to make a note of my impressions so far. Whilst I liked Pikmin 1 & 2, I never found them that compelling/addictive (in fact I never finished them), but I'm finding Pikmin 3 to be very addictive. It just feels so fresh after playing the 360 (so much for the last 6 years) with the occasional Wii exclusive. Beautiful visuals too.

Semajer

Anyone else thinking of going for times and high scores?

I'm pretty content just having the Platinum Medals. I'm ahead of the curve on most of the rankings, and I'm happy there. If, after USA gets the game, people start getting higher scores, and moving the curve towards me I may try and beat my times.

Okay, I've gotten all the Platinum Medals for Mission Mode. Now we wait until Miyamoto spill the beans on the
Secret Memos.

Actually, this isn't true, I'm now unlocking all the Bingo Battle stages.
By myself. : (

Chao

I think I am about to fight the final boss. Should I get everything (fruit, notes, secrets) before I go against him or there is a post game?

Edit: By the way. Any news on the deluxe digital promotion thing and TW101 discount for those who downloaded the game hours before the actual release date? Are we still screwed?

Semajer

I think I am about to fight the final boss. Should I get everything (fruit, notes, secrets) before I go against him or there is a post game?

You can always go back to previous days if you've missed anything. It might be worth your while getting the boss's health all the way down, and then ending the day so you don't have to repeat the whole fight should you decided to go back a day to get anything you've missed.

Shahadan

Edit: Just wanted to make a note of my impressions so far. Whilst I liked Pikmin 1 & 2, I never found them that compelling/addictive (in fact I never finished them), but I'm finding Pikmin 3 to be very addictive..

My feelings exactly.

And it has the superior Rock Pikmin. All hail the rock pikmin, destroyer of glass.

Jackano

Edit: By the way. Any news on the deluxe digital promotion thing and TW101 discount for those who downloaded the game hours before the actual release date? Are we still screwed?

No post game but you can replay from the day just before the one when you beat the game. That's I've done.

Shahadan

I think

We're still screwed and we should do a thread about it to create awareness, maybe things would get fixed with a bit of bad publicity.

Kouriozan

I guess my only complaint about the Gamepad control is when you tilt it, it dismiss your Pikmins/use charge attack.
I tend to move the Gamepad a bit when checking the map and it made me lose tons of Pikmins at the end of a day >,<

MegalonJJ

Banned
How do you do the charge attack with the Gamepad?

Also, re the downloading early and not getting Premium points and W101 deal, I agree with a separate thread, as it'll only affect a small part of the playing community and the game is too Godlike to keep side tracking the topic with it. (imo of course and btw I am one of the early downloaders thanks to Game :)).

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I have a few things I'm confused on that make or break this game for me. Are fruits the only thing you gather now? Is it casual compared to the previous two? Is there no time limit for a day? These are some things I need answered.
I'm already turned off my the lack of a piklopedia which was my favorite part. (reading olimar's notes on items and the in depth science on the monsters was amazing)

ASIS

Are teh days longer than Pikmin 2's days?

For some reason everyone is ignoring you. Now keep in mind that what I'm about to say is from observations, I don't have the game myself.

The days seem as long as Pikmin 1. but I don't know if those had longer days.

How do you do the charge attack with the Gamepad?

Also, re the downloading early and not getting Premium points and W101 deal, I agree with a separate thread, as it'll only affect a small part of the playing community and the game is too Godlike to keep side tracking the topic with it. (imo of course and btw I am one of the early downloaders thanks to Game :)).

Hold zL which locks onto the thing. Then you can either press B or shake the gamepad.

oatmeal

Banned
For some reason everyone is ignoring you. Now keep in mind that what I'm about to say is from observations, I don't have the game myself.

The days seem as long as Pikmin 1. but I don't know if those had longer days.

Thank you :)

Pikmin 1 had perfect length, P2 had short days that made exploration up above more frantic than fun.

D-e-f-

Banned
I have a few things I'm confused on that make or break this game for me. Are fruits the only thing you gather now? Is it casual compared to the previous two? Is there no time limit for a day? These are some things I need answered.
I'm already turned off my the lack of a piklopedia which was my favorite part. (reading olimar's notes on items and the in depth science on the monsters was amazing)

1) fruits only - yes, kind of. there's also memos to collect. you won't be collecting Duracell batteries.
2) what does that even mean?
3) huh? in order for it to be a "day" there has to be an end. did you read anything in this thread/watch any videos at all?
4) piklopedia: there is no separate piklopedia but Brittany gives you similar comments on the fruit you collect.

And you people had no problem throwing pikmin one by one all this time? :lol:
I think I saw the chaege attack in one of the youtube highscore vids but yeah, I had no idea how to pull it off.

Did I simply skip a tutorial massage or is it an item or something that you have to find to unlock that ability?

Okay so I got to tackle the Battle Bingo and Challenge modes today...

Battle Bingo
well it's a bit better than Pikmin 2's multiplayer but it's still fundamentally flawed seeing as Pikmin aren't really made to fight other Pikmin, Which of course is why the game presents item collecting as the main challenge. For the most part it's just like the marble hunting from Pikmin 2's versus mode but you have more options in how you win. You aim to complete a row of treasures and defeated enemies by dragging the right objects back to the onion. Though the positioning of items doesn't always feel very balanced, I won one map barely venturing out of my half with three of the four items in pretty close proximity to my onion. And then we have the cherries, yep they're back from Pikmin 2 and they still hold too much power, the one that drops the rocks is brutal and I got it like once to my opponents 6 or 7 times.

There are a ton of maps, 12 if I recall, each one is rather unique and include the likes of a sandbox and a building block fort which is nice as you don't see these sort of places in the main game, they're reminiscent of the areas you might come across in Pikmin 2's caves/challenge mode.

You can also choose to play with two captains or one along with setting the number of starting Pikmin, 2 captains with 15 pikmin to start seemed to be the best way to play for us. But it's really just a small distraction, versus modes in Pikmin just don't quite work though i'll respect them for trying.

Challenge Mode

Divided into Treasure Hunts, Enemy Mauling and effectively a Boss replay mode, all of which run on a time limit.
The treasure hunts actually ended up being our favourite mode to play, it's here that the Purple and White fellows turn up and show that they're kind of lacking by comparison to the rest but hey it's the thought that counts. This mode tasks you with nabbing every scrap on the map in the time limit including carcasses and benefited quite well from co-op. The Pikmin tend to be scattered over the map and I don't recall if you could make any more in this mode which is a nice twist.

The mode focused on enemies is decent as well and has good old onions so you can build up your numbers, each of the five maps has one of the miniboss like enemies in it somewhere, the first was probably the most interesting use of this idea by having the baldy long legs chap stomping all over the area.

Lastly the Boss mode, well it's the main bosses from single player fought with the pikmin they give you and you basically just try to beat them as fast as possible with as little casualties as possible.

Challenge mode is good stuff but I can't help but wish there was more of it, dare I say Pikmin 2 had a better take on things with a greater variety of setups and enemies though I expect Pikmin 3 is better for those people really gunning for high scores. I was hoping to see more enemy types from previous games turn up in here but the only monsters close to new lurking in these parts were Bulborb variations.

dyergram

Debut pik pic
WbgT1eg.jpg

D-e-f-

Banned
versus modes in Pikmin just don't quite work though i'll respect them for trying.

You should have a talk with Chris Remo and Jake Rodking from Idle Thumbs ...they're gonna tell you a little something about Pikmin multiplayer ;) (and with a little I mean A WHOLE LOT!)

chadboban

Ground textures be damned. This game is just flat out GORGEOUS! That camera idea seemed so simple at first but some of these shots that people are posting are just incredible. Can't wait to see some more stuff made from the ground up for the Wii U from Nintendo.

Dunkelgrau

Played for five hours today. The game gave me blast.

But I cannot understand why everyone prefers to play with Wimmote and Nunchuck. I navigate with the gamepad all the time. Cannot image to play without this feature.

Sure you can switch between both controls, but this is really annoying.

D-e-f-

Banned
]blacky[;73413751 said:
Played for five hours today. The game gave me blast.

But I cannot understand why everyone prefers to play with Wimmote and Nunchuck. I navigate with the gamepad all the time. Cannot image to play without this feature.

Sure you can switch between both controls, but this is really annoying.

Hm? The Wiimote/Nunchuk controls are supposed to INCORPORATE the GamePad, not ignore it. The touch screen features are part of the Wiimote setup. You don't need to switch anything.

Shahadan

Hm? The Wiimote/Nunchuk controls are supposed to INCORPORATE the GamePad, not ignore it. The touch screen features are part of the Wiimote setup. You don't need to switch anything.

Now for some reason that made me kinda want a game where you have to point either at the Tv or the gamepad screen with a Wiimote to perform various things.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So many nice little, quirky details in this game.

Like, what is that Rubber Duck doing, floating randomly around like this?
zlCfzRESQ_cUT6wmbr

Top Bottom