• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

D-e-f-

Banned
Now for some reason that made me kinda want a game where you have to point either at the Tv or the gamepad screen with a Wiimote to perform various things.

The system can't differentiate which you're pointing at since you could just as well put some candles in the corner of the room, far away from the TV and point at those.

Just got the pink pikmin, the game is getting more and more complex. It's interesting how well everything is balanced in the game. The daily time limit is just right for levels this size, and the levels are large enough to be interesting, but not so huge that it takes too long to walk from one place to an another. And there are enough fruits to keep you alive, even if you take your time exploring.

I'm not nearly good enough with analog sticks to aim enemies to specific body parts, maybe I should switch to using Wiimote after all. And managing three separate groups of Pikmin is too much hassle, I prefer to use one main Pikmin force, and use another character just to collect stray Pikmins etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You hold Z (Wii Remote Controls) when pointing at an enemy to lock-on, then you shake the nunchuck, and all the Pikmin on your captain will charge at once and attack.

What's this - lock on? Does it adjust the camera to keep me facing the enemy? That's my biggest issue with bosses - lack of decent camera controls.

D-e-f-

Banned
But the gamepad has a sensor bar so wouldn't make it possible?

That's what I'm saying, the console doesn't know WHICH you're pointing at. So the suggested mechanic of "having to point at the screen and/or pad to interact" (as in both do different things) doesn't work. The console only registers that you are pointing at a sensor bar, not where that sensor bar is (see my candle example). So unless the part on the TV and GamePad is the same, you can't really use that. In the case of Pikmin 3 that translates to: you either play with the Wiimote on the TV and use the touch screen with your fingers or you're using Off-TV with the Wiimote pointing at the GamePad's built-in sensor bar for reference.

Playing on the TV with the Wiimote and then pointing at the GamePad sensor bar as a replacement for the touch-interaction (directing captains around) wouldn't work.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
is there the equivalent of the c-stick movement in this game?

addyb

Not been on my Wii U for months but ordered this earlier so should be with me on Tuesday. Still got a big 3DS backlog to get through but what the hell.

Not read all the thread yet and as I havent played a pikmin game before I wanted to ask is the Wii mote and nunchuk the best control method for it? I was just planning on using the gamepad but will dig out the wiimotes if its far better. If its minimal I won't bother.

For anyone that's completed it is there any replay value for the single player game? Unlockables etc.

dyergram

Not been on my Wii U for months but ordered this earlier so should be with me on Tuesday. Still got a big 3DS backlog to get through but what the hell.

Not read all the thread yet and as I havent played a pikmin game before I wanted to ask is the Wii mote and nunchuk the best control method for it? I was just planning on using the gamepad but will dig out the wiimotes if its far better. If its minimal I won't bother.

For anyone that's completed it is there any replay value for the single player game? Unlockables etc.
I have played with the gamepad for the first ten hours. I tried it with the wiimote today it basically allows you to be a lot faster and more precise. Not sure what I'm gonna go with I would imagine you will lose less pikmin using the wiimotes.

addyb

I have played with the gamepad for the first ten hours. I tried it with the wiimote today it basically allows you to be a lot faster and more precise. Not sure what I'm gonna go with I would imagine you will lose less pikmin using the wiimotes.

I guess if I never try the wiimote I won't know what I'm missing anyway so will more than likely just stick to the gamepad.

Fabrik

Banned
Just got all fruits and finished the game.
I already spent 28 hours on this game since I got it last Tuesday.
I think I spend around 15h in single player and 13h playing multi.
I didn't think Bingo Battle would be this strategic.
I don't have much complaint about the game, maybe the day-night cycle is a bit short but I guess that's just proof the gameplay is addicting.
Pikmin 3 is my GOTY at the moment.

Whoever decided that this entry could use a nice drop of rain has my thanks, rain in games is always awesome.

zlCfzRESVWgkjhvTYt

MegalonJJ

Banned
Okay it's the last time I create a thread for other people. People in there are dense.
I'll go back to make useless threads.

To be fair, I thought the thread was merely going to be there to keep all the relevant info in one place and it would be easy to post updates (if any).

_Clash_

Not sure if the length of the game is as bad as made out to be,

Spent most of the weekend on it, spent close to 20hrs and 50 days and am getting close to the finish now. Granted, I played with the girlfriend tag in/tag out. Seems like a lot of content.

Great game. The design and balance are typical Nintendo gold class and the highlight.

Dr.Hadji

Can I trust you guys with these pictures, or do I need to bail out of this thread? These latest batch of pictures are looking like things and areas I haven't seen before.

Dunkelgrau

Hm? The Wiimote/Nunchuk controls are supposed to INCORPORATE the GamePad, not ignore it. The touch screen features are part of the Wiimote setup. You don't need to switch anything.
What I meant is: You have to put the Wiimote and Nunchuck out of your hands and grab to the gamepad, when you want to navigate with the touchscreen. I navigate with the gamepad very often, so that feels very annoying.
You also have those radio messages: It doesn’t feel good to look at them, when you don’t have the gamepad in your hands.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
]blacky[;73492473 said:
What I meant is: You have to put the Wiimote and Nunchuck out of your hands and grab to the gamepad, when you want to navigate with the touchscreen. I navigate with the gamepad very often, so that feels very annoying.
You also have those radio messages: It doesn’t feel good to look at them, when you don’t have the gamepad in your hands.
Radio messages appear on the TV as well so maybe you know, if you're really annoyed... keep looking at the TV?

AFAIC the ideal set up is having GamePad on my knees.

Jackano

]blacky[;73492473 said:

I agree, it's the only big con I have against the game.
They should have done like in Four Swords Adventure when you play solo without GBA, with the virtual gamepad screen popping in the TV screen - They sorta do it but it's too small to read and you can't navigate it.

1 or 2 buttons aren't used on the wiimote I think? They should have use them to pause the game and pop the gamepad screen and menus on the TV, and then point the TV on the map to use the gamepad functions.

Spades

Just read that Pikmin 3 debuted in the UK multi-format chart in #2. That's pretty good. Beaten to #1 by the disc release of Minecraft.

D-e-f-

Banned
These are some really nice shots! :D

Let me post more! :D

zlCfzRESz9MVY4jP0n

If you pan over a little bit you can take a peak into my garden! ;-)

and see this:

pikmingetlwy1i.jpg

of course the day I get Pikmin 3 is the day that everything is wet outside and cloudy so I can't take a wonderful garden/summer pic ... best I could do without getting myself wet.

:D

]blacky[;73492473 said:

Why put it away? Just use your index finger?

Anyway, time to finally pop the game in! HYPED!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Actually, this isn't true, I'm now unlocking all the Bingo Battle stages.
By myself. : (

Did you also get the platinum medals in coop? I only did it in single player, I hope I can convince my gf to do the coop ones with me. They show seperately! Also, I'm still missing one nasty fruit right of the area where the sandworm was fought. Crazy that I seemingly can't find it ^^.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Did you also get the platinum medals in coop? I only did it in single player, I hope I can convince my gf to do the coop ones with me. They show seperately! .

Hey, I didn't know that! I was playing the missions only on co-op because my girlfriend really loves this game. Usually she gets bored quite fast, but now she is the one that pushes for playing again and again to get them medals! :)

Having separate leaderboards for single and co-op makes this even more re-playable for me! It will occupy all my spare time until W101. Great game!

I still like the gamepad better than the wiimote, I rather adjust to the worse targeting system on the gamepad than to the lack of camera control on the wiimote (no, using Z doesn't help that much unless you lock on something). And in addition you have also the map right in your hands.

D-e-f-

Banned
]blacky[;73492473 said:

After having finally played day-1: you really do not need to put anything out of your hands. It is designed, as I expected, in such a way that you only ever need your index finger which means you don't need to put anything away. You can choose to do this while the game is paused or not.

Some of you not knowing about lock-on and cursor movements, maybe consider looking at the manual? All they do is put controls onto a fold-out these days so there's really no effort required (for those with the digital, you don't even need to grab the box as the digital manual is right there).

bump for this, I'd like to know too

Pikmin are sticking closer together, they are less likely to run off of a narrow ridge and for the directed attack, there's now the lock-on + charge attack (see manual).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
After having finally played day-1: you really do not need to put anything out of your hands. It is designed, as I expected, in such a way that you only ever need your index finger which means you don't need to put anything away. You can choose to do this while the game is paused or not.

With Pikmin, I've finally found a (great) implementation for the (apparently) odd Gamepad base (not the charging one, of course, but the "simple" one).
I play with remote-nunchak in my hands, with the Gamepad on that base aside me on the couch.
It's simply perfect.

Dunkelgrau

This conversation becomes surreal.
So tell me please how you manage to use the „GO HERE!“-Function without taking the damn gamepad in your hands? Telepathy?

ASIS

]blacky[;73512998 said:
So tell me please how you manage to use the „GO HERE!“-Function without taking the damn gamepad in your hands? Telepathy?

From what I gather, you keep the gamepad on your lap or somewhere near you. when you want to use it, just touch it. IDK haven't played it yet.

Jofamo

Hello, Shigeru Miyamoto of Nintendo here.

To all of you playing Pikmin 3, I hope you've enjoyed yourselves so far.

(View all comments to see translations.)

I don't suppose you've come across any Secret Memos while playing through the Story?

Did you know that once you've collected ten of these Secret Memos, the numbers contained in them will combine to form a special code? I'll be in touch again to explain how to use the code, so be sure to make a note of it once you have it!

Oh, and don't forget to check out Mission and Bingo Battle - they're a lot of fun too!

Tell us Miyamoto!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
]blacky[;73512998 said:
What I find surreal from the start is that you didn't see radio messages were also displayed on your TV, and that you haven't found a way since you have the game to touch the screen without putting down your wiimote/nunchuck.

klier

]blacky[;73512998 said:

I never take the gamepad in my hands. I have it in front of me on a little table and the only way I touch it is by putting my finger on the screen of the Gamepad. That's easy to do with a Wiimote in your hand, since you only need 1 finger.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
4gamer interview with Myamoto on the feel of Pikmins dying, DS/3DS prototypes and his inspirations for the Pikmin series:

Part 1

Part 2

translated by KameDaniRyuu

(Original version was posted on 4gamer.net 14 july, but haven't seen any translations up until now)

I'm starting to believe this will require an update and some DLC involvement.
Also, is there someone who did a list of those memos locations? I think I've 6 ATM.

Don't get your hopes up: Remember, they thought a different title screen was a adequate reward for 1million coins in NSMB2.

It's be great if it was some DLC, but I doubt it.

ASIS

4gamer interview with Myamoto on the feel of Pikmins dying, DS/3DS prototypes and his inspirations for the Pikmin series:

Part 1

Part 2

translated by KameDaniRyuu

Miyamoto said:
I felt like I wanted to go to HD sooner.
Even for the Wii, no matter how much it made the system cost, it would have been great if it were HD in the first place. However, it was going to take some time for HD televisions to become common and we felt that until that point was reached, there would have been no point for Wii to be HD.
From our point of view, once the subsequent generation to Wii came around, HD televisions would be more common and we felt it would be time to make our games in HD then. However, HD became more common about 2 to 3 years earlier than we had anticipated. A main part of that was that the prices for HD televisions manufactured overseas had gone down at an unthinkable pace.
So, as a result, while we were right in the middle of selling the Wii, the TVs in people’s living rooms (in Japan) were slowly becoming HD sets. Overseas especially people had never so rapidly and drastically changed their hardware to the newest technology but in America as well HD TVs became standard little by little.

Oh what could have been ;_;

Thank you for the translation.

Frodo

If you pan over a little bit you can take a peak into my garden! ;-)

and see this:

pikmingetlwy1i.jpg

of course the day I get Pikmin 3 is the day that everything is wet outside and cloudy so I can't take a wonderful garden/summer pic ... best I could do without getting myself wet.

:D

Did a copy of Pikmin 3 just sprout on your garden? :D

ASIS

Welp, I guess this ends the RTS debacle:

Miyamoto said:
Well, it’s not like we were imitating M.U.L.E. but some part of the finished product was inspired by it.
Still, it’s not that we looked at a well known game and made something from that. When looking at the all new product we stuck with making, even though we did something simple, I do feel it came to have a depth similar to RTSes, However, it’s not that Pikmin is an RTS. It’s an action game and I think it is it’s own new genre that nothing else resembles.
Still, in a way, I think Pikmin 3 does have the potential to be received by players in America with as much zeal as PC RTS games.

EDIT: Man that was a great read, anyone who thinks Miyamoto is senile and should retire deserves a slap in the face.

Top Bottom