• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Dax, me and you, forever hyping, forever getting spoiled :(

Six more days!

Obviously your mileage may vary when you say a "little," but vagueness trumped that description for me. I thought he meant like a location or something. It's a cool Easter egg that should be a joy to find for anybody to discover on his/her own.

Does anyone else get reminded of Phantasy Star Online in
the ship where you select where to go? It reminds me of the medical bay on the ship before going down to Ragol

Shahadan

It's amazing how some people on miiverse are oblivious to the mere idea of being able to revisit areas. They search for a way to get fruits they can't reach before doing the main objective.
I just saw one wasting days trying to get an unreachable fruit before attempting to find the captain.

JoeInky

Well, I finished the game in 16 hours. Well, I got all the fruits in 16 hours, I haven't gotten all the secret memos yet and I'm just getting into the mission mode.

Great game, the levels are really well designed, there are some great enemies and bosses in the game and they did some really cool environmental effects for some of the bosses, I like the meerslug and the quadra-whatever especially, they made me wish there were proper desert and marshland areas in the game.

I will say that I didn't like the fact that you get the blue Pikmin last.
I totally get the design choice though, they wanted you to be constantly seeing areas that you could properly explore yet throughout the game, but I love the water areas and the enemy designs for them that it would have been nice to have got them a bit earlier and got a more water-based level.

This game gives you that sad feeling that only a game you've waited literally years for can give you when it's over.

I really don't want to believe that it IS over though, I know we might be getting DLC missions sometime in the future but I hope there's going to be some form of a second campaign DLC like NSLU, either explaining how
the Drake crash wasn't an accident
or
Olimar going to rescue Louie after he gets left behind again
, it seems like such a great idea to do, especially considering how Olimar and Louie are both playable in Bingo mode, they could have purple and white Pikmin to differentiate the level design.

I guess it all depends on what comes of this secret memo stuff, I'm really excited to find out what it means, it would be amazing if it turned out you actually could unlock a second campaign, but given the games file size, I doubt this will be what it's about.

I think I'm just going to start trying to beat the game in as few days as possible so I can get my fix for a bit longer, being able to go back and retry a day should really help with that, though having to create another account just to do this is a bit bothersome.

Also does anyone know if you get a cutscene in this game for platinum'ing all the missions yet?

Is there any pre-order bonus available for this game at any retailers in the US? I've waited and waited to see if anything was announced and still haven't heard of any.

kubus

I'm at the final level now.

Man, what's with the difficulty spike? Maybe I suck, but I've been trying this dungeon for 3 days now and I'm stuck :(. I'm trying to make electricity and get the fluffy flowers to pop, but I'm missing one or two and I have no idea where to activate the third lightbulb. Pikmin carrying Olimar are super slow as well. Maybe I should try having Brittany walk in circles at the beginning of the level while I try to finish the dungeon... I'm really frustrated :(. I can't handle these stressful things lol.

Semajer

Man, what's with the difficulty spike? Maybe I suck, but I've been trying this dungeon for 3 days now and I'm stuck :(. I'm trying to make electricity and get the fluffy flowers to pop, but I'm missing one or two and I have no idea where to activate the third lightbulb. Pikmin carrying Olimar are super slow as well. Maybe I should try having Brittany walk in circles at the beginning of the level while I try to finish the dungeon... I'm really frustrated :(. I can't handle these stressful things lol.

I used 10 Flying Pikmin to carry Olimar, that way they don't get slowed down as badly by environmental obstacles. In the section you're in you need to build a bridge, walk across the flowers, and then throw a captain and some yellows across a gap to reach another bulb.

Shahadan

Is there any other way than having Brittany stale the boss while doing the puzzles? I just assumed this was what I was supposed to do, and frankly I loved the idea.
For the last lightbulb you need two captains and launch one over a gap. Is is the one you're missing?

kubus

Is there any other way than having Brittany stale the boss while doing the puzzles? I just assumed this was what I was supposed to do, and frankly I loved the idea.
For the last lightbulb you need two captains and launch one over a gap. Is is the one you're missing?
I used 10 Flying Pikmin to carry Olimar, that way they don't get slowed down as badly by environmental obstacles. In the section you're in you need to build a bridge, walk across the flowers, and then throw a captain and some yellows across a gap to reach another bulb.

OH WOW. I completely forgot that you can throw captains. I was searching all over the place for a different path. *headdesks*.

I actually got past that part just now... Without throwing a captain, haha. By throwing the yellow pikmin on the platform, then walk to the other side of the platform, call them so they walk towards the electric wires thingies and then disbanding them again so they activate the light bulb by themselves. I... I can't believe I did all of that while I could've just tossed a captain over there. This is what stress does to me, lol.

Got to the final boss but ran out of time! Next time, Gadget, next time...

That's basically what I did. Just made her walk round and around till I solved what I could.

Kouriozan

I would loooove a DLC like New Super Luigi U.
There is already Olimar, Louie and the 2 other Pikmins, they can do it. Hoping for some megatons once Miyamoto tell us what the secret memos are for.

Alpha_eX

Such a big Wii U game yet it hardly uses the Wii U for gameplay. The one time it does (in my experience) is using it to painfully drag the map around to place the "move here" marker, really not sure why they didn't map the panning to the right stick.

It really takes me out of my game playing on Gamepad when I had to slowly pan the screen with a drag.

Ugh.

Otherwise great game, shouldn't force the Wii U features. I honestly thought my right thumbstick was broken, that's how misplace that control feels.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Such a big Wii U game yet it hardly uses the Wii U for gameplay. The one time it does (in my experience) is using it to painfully drag the map around to place the "move here" marker, really not sure why they didn't map the panning to the right stick.

It really takes me out of my game playing on Gamepad when I had to slowly pan the screen with a drag.

Ugh.

Otherwise great game, shouldn't force the Wii U features. I honestly thought my right thumbstick was broken, that's how misplace that control feels.

I take it you're talking about the gamepad? It could be integrated more, I agree. The photo-function is pretty neat, and I use go-to commands all the time. I play with wiimote though.

So I'm finally playing through Pikmin 1 and 2 in anticipation of Pikmin 3 (pre-ordered) and I'm just about done with the first one. I can't believe the relationship I have with these dudes. I didn't expect to have all these feels. Pikmin drowning and getting eaten is bad enough, but when they get lit on fire and start running, I start screaming at the TV, "NO!!! NO!!! STOP, DROP, AND ROLL DUDES!!! PLEASE DON'T DIE!!!" Is it even worse in the next two games? I don't know if I can handle it.

meppi

My copy just arrived.
Been playing it for the past 2 hours. Soooooooo good.

Like many have already said, the game looks and plays gorgeous. SO glad to finally have this series back. :)

zroid

Banned
a thing that happened in Ottawa a couple days ago

process-collage.jpg

Jackano

I got the NoE survey about Pikmin 3. It's a little off-topic, but still:
I noticed a huge change in their survey since a few months ago. Short story: They now know they are doing wrong with the Wii U and even ask if you are going to buy a ps4one.

They also are checking the popularity of their IPs, and will soon discover no one know Wii Party.

kubus

Well, I just beat the game.

Ending spoilers:
I cried during the credits :(. Best credits in a game EVER.

The whole ending stuff felt a little out of place, especially since nothing was really clarified. Why was Olimar being stalked by some creepy gold mutant thing? Where did that thing come from? Why did they show a glimpse of a second golden blob monsters when you left PNF-404? Why did they crash land on the planet in the first place? I guess it's all to warm us up for Pikmin 4 but I was hoping to find out why the thing wanted Olimar, at least.

Impressions: (no spoilers, but just in case)

Loved the game. I took around 44 days and a little more than 10 hours. It did feel like there was less focus on battling enemies this time than in the previous games, and more focus on puzzling and planning your strategy for the day. Maps are huge, maybe 3x or 4x the size of some of the maps in Pikmin 1 so sometimes you really need a full day to get to some of the fruit pieces. I thought there would be a lot of focus on having to work together with the two other crew members, but there weren't many of these puzzles. It is nice to send one of your people back to the Onion to pick up some new Pikmin using the auto pilot. Very convenient.

There are plenty of bosses and mini-bosses and they're all well designed. Only complaint is that there is less variety in normal monsters than in Pikmin 2 and none of them are particulary hard to beat. I replayed Pikmin 1 last week and the last time I played Pikmin 2 is more than two years ago but the same monsters that destroyed my Pikmin armies in Pikmin 1 were easy as cake in Pikmin 3. Don't get me wrong, the game is still very challenging, but it feels like the difficulty has shifted somewhat from fighting monsters to puzzles and bosses.

Graphics are gorgeous, but I think everyone already knew that. The water effects in this game are amazing, and I love how the environment reacts to rain and snow. Photo Mode is maybe one of the best parts of the game, which is why it's a damn shame there is no photo album. You can actually take pictures while in auto pilot, so I loved watching the world in first person, "on rails". The sound is great too, there were a couple of old tunes that I recognized from Pikmin 1 in some of the new tracks. Also, a really cute easter egg makes its return :).

Only real complaint is that I hated dismissing Pikmin with the nunchuk waggle (I played with GamePad + WiiMote and Nunchuk). I frequently move around while playing, so it happened way too often that I accidently dismissed all my Pikmin and then some of them died because it was an unfortunate place. Pikmin pathfinding is still pretty buggy too. I would often lose a few Pikmin at the end of the day because some got stuck where I couldn't call them back.

I give it a 9/10, one of my favourite games this generation.

I have a desperate craving for more Pikmin now, though. I'll try the missions tomorrow and meanwhile I'm hoping Miyamoto is still busy with that Pikmin animation series.

Some pics I took:

2CUo6zY.jpg

wIJe23Y.jpg

LcvH5o0.jpg

nXY0dSr.jpg

2BAqM16.jpg

RLmwLsw.jpg

Dat fruit.

4DGpPO3.jpg

zroid

Banned
Woah! Why did that happen?

I only found out today, but I believe it was some kind of aviation fair, and Nintendo of Canada submitted this giant model of a Pink Pikmin as their entry. Pretty cool.

another pic from nintendo's facebook:

544468_208544522603242_1917945548_n.jpg

Semajer

Regarding datafiles:
I´m missing 5 files.
3 for creatures and 2 for controlls.
I already replayed all levels and searched everywhere, but i can´t find them.
Here are the ones I have/miss:
https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzREW6jsnBm2al2
https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzREW7esafzKrxu

Pretty sure you're missing:
The fire suit upgrade in Twilight River buried up on the wall along from the area with the orange bulborbs, and opposite that pillar coming out of the water that had some bridge materials on.

The electric suit upgrade hidden under the snow in the area that Charlie landed at the start.

The two files for the big marsh cyclops monster, there are two mushrooms on a branch near Olimar's ship.

I think that there's one more file on the Plasm Wraith too.

Well, I just beat the game.

Ending spoilers:
I cried during the credits :(. Best credits in a game EVER.

The whole ending stuff felt a little out of place, especially since nothing was really clarified. Why was Olimar being stalked by some creepy gold mutant thing? Where did that thing come from? Why did they show a glimpse of a second golden blob monsters when you left PNF-404? Why did they crash land on the planet in the first place? I guess it's all to warm us up for Pikmin 4 but I was hoping to find out why the thing wanted Olimar, at least.

There's only one Plasm Wraith, after you beat it it crawls away back up to the tree.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So, now I have everthing I can do on my own in Pikmin 3, by the way, my code is:

It's really incredible, there was abolutely nothing I would have changed in this game, for me it's absolutely perfect.

Ugh.

Someone on here mentioned you can bring the map and its functions up to the tv by hitting down on the dpad.

It may be wrong...

Linkyn

Just got the game this afternoon. After the first few days in the campaign and some missions (both single player and co-op), I have to say I am completely hooked (not surprisingly maybe, as I really dig this franchise). Now I just have to balance my playtime a bit so I don't finish before the next wave of games arrives :p

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Finished that game yesterday. Great game, great art style and great music. Wouldn't mind running the title screen as a screen saver all day. Gameplay-wise, I enjoyed the bosses, but the puzzles had pretty little diversity. I also found it uncomfortable to manage both Remote+Nunchuck and the GamePad at the same time.

The Pikmin pathfinding just plain sucks, and the downtime between days due to pointless animations and text boxes drove me crazy. What is it with Nintendo and its excruciatingly slow scrolling, non-skipable, and redundant text boxes lately? It's not as bad as Skyward Sword's ridiculous text boxes every time you picked something up, but it is still annoying.

Shahadan

The Pikmin pathfinding just plain sucks, and the downtime between days due to pointless animations and text boxes drove me crazy. What is it with Nintendo and its excruciatingly slow scrolling, non-skipable, and redundant text boxes lately? It's not as bad as Skyward Sword's ridiculous text boxes every time you picked something up, but it is still annoying.

Don't ever ever play M&L Dream Team :lol:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Finished that game yesterday. Great game, great art style and great music. Wouldn't mind running the title screen as a screen saver all day. Gameplay-wise, I enjoyed the bosses, but the puzzles had pretty little diversity. I also found it uncomfortable to manage both Remote+Nunchuck and the GamePad at the same time.

Why didn't you just press B? Most of the time, if you do that, all of the text displays at once and can subsequently be skipped.

JoeInky

So I just spent 5 hours trying to do day 2 in my perfect pikmin 3 run.

I managed to get the two strawberries, the lemon, the lime, the dragon fruit as well as the phone that you get for killing the Mawdad (i.e everything you can possibly get on day 2 in that level). I only just made it by the skin of my teeth though, the countdown timer was on 3.

Funnily enough I managed to do all that without the timer even appearing (though the hurry up message had appeared) about 3 hours in, but the Mawdad killed a single rock Pikmin that I apparently didn't see, shit was infuriating.

If anyone's interested in how it's done I could do a write-up, I don't have a capture card, though I really wish I did now.

Trying to figure out how much I can get done on day 3 in the tundra now, it's a lot more complex than garden of hope day 2 is.

Frillen

How do I get to that weight in the middle of Tropical Winds? Seem to be unreachable, and I can't throw my other captains high enough.

Frillen

Throw yellows on the mushroom nearby.
So many people have problems with this puzzle :lol:

Thanks, but how do I get that fruit that hangs just above the lower weight? Tried to throw yellow Pikmin at it but didn't work. What about flying Pikmins?

Edit: Worked with flying ones.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I just spent 5 hours trying to do day 2 in my perfect pikmin 3 run.

I managed to get the two strawberries, the lemon, the lime, the dragon fruit as well as the phone that you get for killing the Mawdad (i.e everything you can possibly get on day 2 in that level). I only just made it by the skin of my teeth though, the countdown timer was on 3.

Funnily enough I managed to do all that without the timer even appearing (though the hurry up message had appeared) about 3 hours in, but the Mawdad killed a single rock Pikmin that I apparently didn't see, shit was infuriating.

If anyone's interested in how it's done I could do a write-up, I don't have a capture card, though I really wish I did now.

Trying to figure out how much I can get done on day 3 in the tundra now, it's a lot more complex than garden of hope day 2 is.

Took me practically an entire day to kill the mawdad lol

Xun

£28.98 on TheHut.com with 3OFF30 voucher

£27.34 on wowhd.co.uk
(UK/IE: Oblivion Buy 1 Get 5% Off Extended Discount 1 x Pikmin 3 (Nintendo Wii U) -£1.40) <--- activates during checkout automatically (wowhd shipping might take a while though ...mine shipped today but I've been waiting for Game & Wario for a month already, for example ...while Project X Zone arrived within a week or so)

otherwise:
http://www.hotukdeals.com/search?action=search&keywords=pikmin+3

Got mine for £24.94 from Wow HD via flubit. Flubit is excellent, you find an online price and copy the url into the site and they give you a better offer, usually 4 or 5 quid off a 30 quid retail price for me so far.
Thanks guys, but it's no longer available on Wow HD. :(

I was just about the buy it.

CoolZombie

Just got this today and played it for about three hours none stop this evening.

What a fantastic game!

I enjoyed the first two games quite a bit, especially in their Wii incarnations but this one is the best of the three for me. I like the three character system, once you get better you find yourself using them effectively, making little parties of pikmin and sending them off to multi task on the levels.

The gameplay is pure pikmin, and if you aren't a fan of the previous titles then this probably won't change your mind, but for me this is Nintendo at their best. A proper game in the style that only they can make.

Visuals are stunning for the most part too. HD certainly makes a big improvement to a game like Pikmin. Loving it. :)

Top Bottom