• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Randdalf

Played it for 8 hours today, such a good game. I did the first half with the Wiimote and the second half off TV on the GamePad, both worked very well, but I did miss the precision of the pointer controls during the 4th boss fight. I have to admit it, I've killed about
Pikmin so far, either by accident or just losing them. One time I was trying to scan a big Bulborb and accidentally charged into it, head-on, losing about a third of my guys. The 2nd boss fight was also costly. I haven't really gotten multi-tasking down to a tee yet, but that's probably something for a second playthrough, where you can plan out what has to be done more carefully. I just got the blue Pikmin, and actually spent a whole day not realising their onion was there.

Ok so finally got started on this game today and I have to say, so far it's awesome. Took me a while to get used to the gamepad controls (kept pressing right trigger to throw for some reason). After a while it clicked and I'm having a blast.
Graphically, it's a mixed bag - the depth of field and lighting effects are fantastic and the foliage / creatures look great. Yes the ground textures look like Hyrule Field from Ocarina but hey, I can live with that. Some of the fruit looks good enough to eat and the first boss battle was great fun. Absolutely LOVE the rock Pikmin - good replacement for the purples. Loving the lock-on feature and the fact that if you lock on, throw a few Pikmin, recall them and then press B, the Pikmin do some kind of battle cry charge and go nuts attacking whatever you locked onto.
So many great little touches as you'd expect from a Nintendo game. Can see this being one of my GOTY. Worth waiting 9 years for.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit. Lock on + charge is a game changer.

I really love the fruit conceit in this game. It's an ingenious mix of the day limit and the freedom of Pikmin 2. I missed the time limit in P2.

Pretty sure you're missing:
The fire suit upgrade in Twilight River buried up on the wall along from the area with the orange bulborbs, and opposite that pillar coming out of the water that had some bridge materials on.

The electric suit upgrade hidden under the snow in the area that Charlie landed at the start.

The two files for the big marsh cyclops monster, there are two mushrooms on a branch near Olimar's ship.

I think that there's one more file on the Plasm Wraith too.
Thank you very much.
Found everything except the fire suit, will search again tomorrow.

Frillen

Just beat the game.

Fruit: 52
Day: 35
Time: 13:58
Pikmin Remaining: 685

Over a bit soon, but definitely a welcome iteration, awesome boss battles. It's been too long since Pikmin 2.

Fuck me gently, I can't even beat the first boss. I've tried 10 times in a row, which is a lot more than I'd usually give a game before trading it in. Trying to play with the gamepad is ridiculous, the sensitivity of the cursor is just too high for me to even hit anything :(

I did beat it once, but then my time ran out right away. Aiming takes so long with analog sticks.

Farmboy

Thank you very much.
Found everything except the fire suit, will search again tomorrow.

In-game hint:
Area hint #7 refers to the fire suit location; look at the picture.

If anyone can help me get the last few memo's: I'm still missing two of the secret numbers, anyone have a list of locations?

The other two memo's I'm missing are in Indigenous Life. I've deduced that I'm missing the Burrowing Snagret and the Dwarf Bulborb, but can't find 'em...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Played it for 8 hours today, such a good game. I did the first half with the Wiimote and the second half off TV on the GamePad, both worked very well, but I did miss the precision of the pointer controls during the 4th boss fight. I have to admit it, I've killed about
Pikmin so far, either by accident or just losing them. One time I was trying to scan a big Bulborb and accidentally charged into it, head-on, losing about a third of my guys. The 2nd boss fight was also costly. I haven't really gotten multi-tasking down to a tee yet, but that's probably something for a second playthrough, where you can plan out what has to be done more carefully. I just got the blue Pikmin, and actually spent a whole day not realising their onion was there.

Fuck me gently, I can't even beat the first boss. I've tried 10 times in a row, which is a lot more than I'd usually give a game before trading it in. Trying to play with the gamepad is ridiculous, the sensitivity of the cursor is just too high for me to even hit anything :(

I did beat it once, but then my time ran out right away. Aiming takes so long with analog sticks.
All the damage you do to the boss is still there the next day, how could you die 10 times in a row, did you have 10 pikmins only in your squad?

jepense

I'm at the third boss now and for me this is definitely the best Pikmin game. I always want to play yet another day, but I try to not rush so I replay some days just taking pictures and stuff. Only tried the mission mode once, and it also seems really nice with the spacechem style histogram scoring.

All the damage you do to the boss is still there the next day, how could you die 10 times in a row, did you have 10 pikmins only in your squad?

It is?? Well I didn't know that -_- I had like 70 Pikmin, I'm just really bad at aiming with right sticks. I can't play shooters because of it.

kubus

It is?? Well I didn't know that -_- I had like 70 Pikmin, I'm just really bad at aiming with right sticks. I can't play shooters because of it.
Don't you have a Wii Remote? I'd suggest playing with that if you have a hard time aiming with sticks. I didn't have any issues with my Wiimote + Nunchuk + Gamepad as tactical overview set-up.

I couldn't beat the first boss in one day either, although it was very close. Next day I walked in, threw one Pikmin in its face and he died :p. Don't be afraid of using multiple days to get something done, unless you're trying to do a perfect run or something.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

With the GameCube, I'd tend to use the analog stick at full travel, and adjust by rotating it. Gave me better control of aiming direction

First boss has been the hardest to me. I was using the gamepad afterall...

I did him last night
(the guy with the shell on his back you break).
I beat him first time, but had already explored and as such didn't have time to get the gear back to the Onion and ship.

It's such a beautifully crafted game, it oozes quality.

Couple of questions
1. Once you've taken a photo, how are you guys getting it off your Wii U?
2. Is there a day limit in the game? Or can I happily 'waste' days by exploring, looking for fruit etc?
3. In the first area there is a puzzle involving a weighing scales style lift, where placing Pikmins on one end lifts the other. I assume this is to get the players up further around the electric gate. Do I need all three characters for this as I can't get both up there to throw one of the players to the next set?

cheers.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
2. Is there a day limit in the game? Or can I happily 'waste' days by exploring, looking for fruit etc?

There are only finitely many fruits and thus, you cannot take unlimited time, but the limit is enormously high (100 days), so you can just play the game as if there was no time limit.

You probably know that, but in Pikmin 3 you do not aim with the right stick, you just rotate the camera. If you use that for aiming, you will most likely fail. If you move that left analogstick just slightly, you can move the cursor and aim, if you move if all the way you are moving the main character. If you really have that many problems with stick aiming, just get a Wiimote though :).

flc

If anyone's interested in how it's done I could do a write-up, I don't have a capture card, though I really wish I did now.

Is your strategy anything like this? I didn't flower my reds on day 1 like most people going for minimum day completions would (trying to make a route that works when going for real time and not just in-game days) but I finished with about a minute to spare following a 2-cycle boss fight (countdown was on 2 when the day actually ended but that's only because I was hoping that my reds would bud before I picked them).

I do want to go back and see if I can get some more rocks though, looking at my day 3 plan. Couple extra rocks (maybe 30 instead of 22) would make things go a lot smoother.

For people having trouble with the first boss:
break its tail and one or two of the rear sections and then swarm it with reds when it stops moving. If your pikmin aren't flowers/buds, you'll have to let them get fairly close (probably about half its body length away) otherwise the swarm won't work. If you get lucky, they'll all cling on and land back on its tail when it shakes them off the first time.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Do you know you can lock the target with ZL ? And once locked you can send all your pikmins to attack at once with B. Just be careful that when it is not locked B dismisses the pikmins.

In the first area there is a puzzle involving a weighing scales style lift, where placing Pikmins on one end lifts the other. I assume this is to get the players up further around the electric gate. Do I need all three characters for this as I can't get both up there to throw one of the players to the next set?

Fabrik

Banned
My first two pictures:

zlCfzREXa4kJTIm4Gq

zlCfzREXc2cABier3U

30 hours and counting...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
To get everything this area has to offer I think you need three characters - at least my solution for the puzzle needed all three.

JoeInky

Took me practically an entire day to kill the mawdad lol

He's actually incredibly easy once you know what you're doing, my quickest time beating him in mission mode is a mere 38 seconds, and that's only because the game literally stops you from killing it before it's entered it's "crawling on the ceiling" phase, it won't let him go below one hp no matter how hard you hit him.

You basically just start moving right the moment the fight starts, break the armour from his tail, follow him until he starts to climb up a wall and stops, swarm your red pikmin on his tail.Keep doing this every time he stops and he dies in no time.

It only takes two "stops" for him to be killed in mission mode due to having loads of red pikmin, but it takes 3 or 4 in a perfect pikmin run due to having less pikmin overall and having some with your other captain breaking the wall to the weight puzzle.

Still trying to figure out how to do day 3 in my run, I did one earlier where I got 7 fruit and reunited brittany and alph, but there was a point where I had brittany doing nothing when she should have been getting the kiwi halves, so I'm going to try and get more done in another try.

Midas

I have a code from Pikmin if anyone wants it? Not sure how this Club Nintendo thing work since I don't have it, but whatever, it's up for grabs.

NewGame

Banned
Beat the game. Found 90% of the fruit. Beat all the missions with a silver average. 7 hours play time.

Is this all there is??

Very worrying.

Goldenhen

Beat the game. Found 90% of the fruit. Beat all the missions with a silver average. 7 hours play time.

Is this all there is??

Very worrying.

Yup I finished mine with 9 hours I think but this is my first Pikman game I have ever played.

But I think there is tons of replay values if you play co op on missions. Since there is leaderboard etc.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

The day you want to fight him (2 or 3) you just head straight on over.

Boss trick spoiler:
One neat trick (if you don't want to lose pikmins) is to only bring rock pikmins. I beat him with about 35 rock pikmins only, leaving all the reds outside for the carrying tasks afterwards. :)

And you should definitely go wiimote+nunchuck for this game. :-/

Me, haha.
Can´t get enough of these points.

You can only register one copy. Don't be greedy, junior!!! ;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It only takes two "stops" for him to be killed in mission mode due to having loads of red pikmin, but it takes 3 or 4 in a perfect pikmin run due to having less pikmin overall and having some with your other captain breaking the wall to the weight puzzle.

whats this weight puzzle - is that the one with the tins on string? Thought you needed two captains for that. And you manage two teams while fighting a boss!?

Can anybody tell me what happens once you finish the story? I don't want spoilers but what I mean is, is there like a free-play where I can carry on with my game and collect all of the secret memos and fruit I have missed or do I need to do this before I finish the story objectives.

Can anybody tell me what happens once you finish the story? I don't want spoilers but what I mean is, is there like a free-play where I can carry on with my game and collect all of the secret memos and fruit I have missed or do I need to do this before I finish the story objectives.

You can carry on, it's not free-play but you can continue to look around.

Allows you to go back to any day in your run as well.

Top Bottom