• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

ozfunghi

I like my bosses naked.

image.php

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bottom left there should be a little bubble that says Pikmin, click on that.

Not in story mode, it is there in multiplayer missions or bingo battle. Will try the 'earlier day' thing.

Bit surprising there is no new game+ letting you collect missing items after the final boss. Hopefully it is obvious enough so I can stop and retrace my steps

Finished. Loved it, the credits are amazing. 272 Pikmin died, 44 days passed (even if I unlocked the last part at day 31). I still miss some data files but screw that.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I just started this game while I do love the using the improve control with the Wiimote+, I kinda don't like how they changed the whistle. Also how do I get the ability to dodge and punch?

fred

Am on Day 5 now and have killed 18 of the poor little buggers already. :Oo

I really don't know how Nintendo (and Shiggy in particular) does it. They don't create a game like this and just make it fun, they go the extra mile and make it more than that. the only description I can come up with is 'delightful'. This is a game that everyone can play and have a big smile on their face one minute and then feel guilty the next, but you know that the guilt and sadness will be replaced by a smile again the next minute. Absolutely outstanding game design and execution. Shiggy at his best imo.

Frodo

Oh wow at that thread...I'll abstain from commenting any further in order to keep my member status... lol

I finished the game today. Did not get all the fruit, but I am planning to go back for a second round, trying to protect my Pikmin as mush as I can, and getting al the fruit.

Last mission was a test to see if you can multitask or not, right? Geez!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
After having beaten the second colossus, I'm sniffing masterpiece scent here...

1) I think that the day time limit, with now limit to the number of days, is the perfect balance between the strategy and the freedom of exploration
2) Colossus (up to now) are great both graphic-wise, style-wise and gameplay-wise
3) New Pikmin (the rock ones, up to now) fit perfectly in the level design, meaning that the levels are really well constructed to give relevance to you "army" composition
4) The flowers that change the Pikmin color are perfectly spread in the right points of the levels
5) control-wise is perfect (remote is simply great, even if the brand wasn't studied at its origins with the pointer in mind; gamepad map that pauses the game is really useful and allow you to manage in a perfect way the multitasking approach with the three captains)
6) visually impressive (for graphic tech reasons except the ground textures that you notice only with the camera feature, and for style concepts, especially for the fauna, simply great with its mix of real animals/elements and fantasy reinterpretation)
7) camera mode and miiverse integration are great, great, great

Jackano

After having beaten the second colossus, I'm sniffing masterpiece scent here...

1) I think that the day time limit, with now limit to the number of days, is the perfect balance between the strategy and the freedom of exploration
2) Colossus (up to now) are great both graphic-wise, style-wise and gameplay-wise
...t

First time I see someone calling Pikmin's boss "colossus". You probably played too much SoTC ^^

8bit

Knows the Score
Haven't looked too deeply into the the thread in case of spoilers, but am I better using the Wiimote as controller? Trying to switch between
Alph & Brittney for the cave fight
seems a bit clunky.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
First time I see someone calling Pikmin's boss "colossus". You probably played too much SoTC ^^

;D
that's the Italian name, actually. They are called "colossi", that means colossus. How are called in English? (I've catually found the name in one of the logs that explain you the rules of the game, when they explain you that the "fruits" and the "colossus" could be find the day after in the same location where you left them at the end of the day before)

flc

Haven't looked too deeply into the the thread in case of spoilers, but am I better using the Wiimote as controller? Trying to switch between
Alph & Brittney for the cave fight
seems a bit clunky.

Being able to aim in a different direction to where you're walking is extremely useful, yeah. I'd recommend it, but careful of wanker's cramp heh

If you're having trouble multitasking, remember that using the map on the game pad pauses the game and gives you a good view of everything, plus the ability to send captains to other parts of the map automatically. Really helps if you need to take stock of a sticky situation (like the boss fights).

Jackano

I can't seem to get the memo
near the snowman behind the ship in the distant tundra
am I meant to chuck my guys from somewhere really specific?

Yeah you have to
throw one of your partners on the edge and quickly take control of him before he trips down again. Try to aim the lowest edge of the area, not directly in front of the memo.

eXistor

Sooo many innocent Pikmin died....I always seem to forget that after buiding a bridge, the Pikmin return to the place they picked up the tiles...so many lives lost multiple times. Oh well. I love that the game can be played badly and you're still able to finish it, but not without the feeling of failure. You can get so much better at this game by playing attentively. Speedruns should be interesting.

Yeah you have to
throw one of your partners on the edge and quickly take control of him before he trips down again. Try to aim the lowest edge of the area, not directly in front of the memo.

You can chuck someone up there without having to switch quickly. It's on the other side of the ridge from the SS Drake.

Yuterald

I'm still deciding if I am going to attempt a zero pikmin death run for my first go. I just recently completed Pikmin 2 at 100% with zero deaths, but it was hard as fuck at times. Definitely took some enjoyment out of the game, but that feeling when taking down a boss without losing anything feels good. Hmm...

Probably missing something obvious, but how do you get back to the main menu (eg to play bingo battle) after you've been playing story mode?

You need to go to earlier day in the bottom left then on the next screen there will be a pikmin 3 bubble in the bottom left. Took me a while to work out too!

Rehynn

Am on Day 5 now and have killed 18 of the poor little buggers already. :Oo

I really don't know how Nintendo (and Shiggy in particular) does it. They don't create a game like this and just make it fun, they go the extra mile and make it more than that. the only description I can come up with is 'delightful'. This is a game that everyone can play and have a big smile on their face one minute and then feel guilty the next, but you know that the guilt and sadness will be replaced by a smile again the next minute. Absolutely outstanding game design and execution. Shiggy at his best imo.

Ah, I know exactly what you mean. Yoshi's Island comes to mind immediately.

Getting the game tomorrow, I'm cautiously looking forward to it after being burned by the trial and error nature of Pikmin 2 a bit.

Alpha_eX

Just done Twilight River on day 10, got all the fruit possible without blue pikmin and built up an army of 40 winged pikmin, along with getting to the cave!

Really tricky to get so much done in a single day but I love the challenge, I restart the level A LOT to get as much done in the day as possible.

I'm still deciding if I am going to attempt a zero pikmin death run for my first go. I just recently completed Pikmin 2 at 100% with zero deaths, but it was hard as fuck at times. Definitely took some enjoyment out of the game, but that feeling when taking down a boss without losing anything feels good. Hmm...

I say you should just play it as is and not worry about keeping it perfect, you can always save that goal for a replay.

Hoodbury

Sorry to bring up the online thing again, but I've watched a couple videos of the bingo battle mode and I still don't understand why that couldn't be done online? There aren't hundreds of pikmin on screen, you start with 5 and get a few more it looks like, maybe 20 or 30ish by the end if you are safe with them?

Are technical limitations really the reason why that mode isn't online? Or is more Nintendo's view that it's better when you're in the same room with the person? I thought I remember someone, Shiggy, or was it just Gaffers saying it would be too hard to have hundreds of pikmin for online matches?

Shahadan

Sorry to bring up the online thing again, but I've watched a couple videos of the bingo battle mode and I still don't understand why that couldn't be done online? There aren't hundreds of pikmin on screen, you start with 5 and get a few more it looks like, maybe 20 or 30ish by the end if you are safe with them?

Are technical limitations really the reason why that mode isn't online? Or is more Nintendo's view that it's better when you're in the same room with the person? I thought I remember someone, Shiggy, or was it just Gaffers saying it would be too hard to have hundreds of pikmin for online matches?
You can set the number of pikmins you start with. Max is still 100, so 50 each

kubus

The game isn't that long. I really suggest doing a normal run first, get to know the bosses, the areas, strategies etc, and then attempting a zero death run after beating the game.

Otherwise you will surely kill your enjoyment of the game, I'm afraid. The game can be really brutal with pikmin deaths and there are tons of bosses that'll prove a challenge to beat without deaths.

Mr. Robot

Maybe that would cause a delay in the game, and that is something that they couldn't do anymore...

Hoodbury

Maybe that would cause a delay in the game, and that is something that they couldn't do anymore...

That's what I'm wondering, was it more a business decision, or a technical decision. I remember someone saying it was technical, but I can't remember if that was GAF or Nintendo.

zroid

Banned
repeatedly checking my order status in the hopes that I might get an early shipment, which occasionally happens

no dice so far :(

kubus

I wonder if the thread will finally start moving once the game is out in the americas. So far, it's been pretty dead. Are there really that few europeans on gaf?

Top Bottom