• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

BQkj9ocCAAER2sr.png:large

They're 1700 stars each.

yayyy, ordered (had to fill some surveys before :p)

kizmah

I'm making progress pretty slowly because I hate the idea of loosing to many Pikmans. And also, this game just makes me want to spend my days as efficiently as possible. Because of that I have replayed (some more than onve) at least 4-5 of the 9 exploration days spent so far.

afoni

Banned
Just nabbed both keyrings and I have 4050 stars to spare.

Score.

when I beat the final boss, will I be able to roll back a day then to do some fruit collecting and stuff?

Nobody had answered this yet, so I'll throw in my contribution.

The answer is a resounding YES.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nice, the keyring is available also in Austria (just the red pikmin though), ordered.

If you want to start a new game the easiest way is to start using another user on the console.

And yes, I sign in also on the list with Europeans having a Wii U and playing Pikmin 3. A glorious game.

klier

wonderful! thank you sir/mam!

tonight the boss will dine in hell!

Yeah, I will have to beat the boss too tonight. There's nothing left for me to do, everything else is done and found.
I have like 47 drinks left, lol.

Pikmin 3 is right next to Mario Galaxy and OoT for me. Pure Nintendo brilliance.

I think im nearly at the end of the game and its great. Really adictive, my only complain are the controls sending pikmins to something and the autolock are frustrating sometimes.
Something I find funny after 3DS paper mario is to see that the game is really story driven to be a miyamoto game. Lots of dialogs and cutscenes, not that im complaining, im finding the story and characters pretty funny and even interesting
like the olimar mystery and them being from a neighbour planet

I am still so terrible at this game. Third attempt at day 4. I almost had it, but when I gave the command to Brittany to meet at the onion, I accidentally clicked the wrong one and she ran back in the cave with all the pikmin with 6 seconds left on the clock. So I restarted...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I am still so terrible at this game. Third attempt at day 4. I almost had it, but when I gave the command to Brittany to meet at the onion, I accidentally clicked the wrong one and she ran back in the cave with all the pikmin with 6 seconds left on the clock. So I restarted...

? she doesn't have to be back at the onion - as long as she is in control of the pikmin they'll all be fine.

Hmm if i'm understanding this post correctly you might not be aware of a useful tip regarding Pikmin at sunset.

If the pikmin are being commanded by a captain and not idle then they'd be safe when the timer hits zero anyway.
Say for example you've reached the countdown, you have 100 pikmin in the field, Britanny has 30, Alph has 60, Charlie has 8 and there are two idle somewhere, 98 Pikmin are safe regardless of your position on the map, those two idle ones are the only pikmin at risk of sunset related death.
So basically you don't have to madly scramble to the onion at the end of each day, just ensure that all the pikmin you have out are under someone's command or within the circle radius of the onion.

Well mrklaw beat me to it but screw it, I already typed up this cracking example.

But the 23 that were with her all died even though they were back at the cave?

And now i'm stumped, maybe they were inadvertently dismissed?

There seem to be many people who think they have to bring the pikmin back to the base. You either bring them into the circle OR have them under control of one of the captains.

There is a counter at the top right of the screen at the last minute of the day that tells you how many pikmin are "alone". I even had Pikmin carry a dead boss once and couldn't select them yet they didn't die.

kizmah

How do you take pictures from a high vantage point? Was your character on this cliff? I'm seen several pictures taken from impossible places.

This one was actually taken during a short cutscene. Otherwise, yeah, split up your captains and have one of them take the snapshots.

So basically you don't have to madly scramble to the onion at the end of each day, just ensure that all the pikmin you have out are under someone's command or within the circle radius of the onion.

:eek: I did not know this.

But the 23 that were with her all died even though they were back at the cave?

I'm not suggesting you don't know this already but I'll write the things that I learnt the hard way regarding pikmin surviving.

Those in the immediate group/under the control of a captain are fine at the end of the day wherever they are.

Those that are carrying fruit/pellet/bugs are not safe and you have make sure they're under the control of someone.

Those just milling about under the onion are fine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hmm if i'm understanding this post correctly you might not be aware of a useful tip regarding Pikmin at sunset.

If the pikmin are being commanded by a captain and not idle then they'd be safe when the timer hits zero anyway.
Say for example you've reached the countdown, you have 100 pikmin in the field, Britanny has 30, Alph has 60, Charlie has 8 and there are two idle somewhere, 98 Pikmin are safe regardless of your position on the map, those two idle ones are the only pikmin at risk of sunset related death.

Well mrklaw beat me to it but screw it, I already typed up this cracking example.

And now i'm stumped, maybe they were inadvertently dismissed?

I've done that accidental dismiss too many times. Yesterday with 1 second left I just raised the nunchuk as I was relaxing at the end of the level, and they all scattered! Got them back just in time though.

The circle by the onion is really just for your sanity I guess - basically any pikmin that have returned a fruit or enemy will be fine.

Pet peeves?
- accidentally dimissing your pikmin just before the counter runs out
- spicy juice pikmin constantly coming back for more - you have to intercept them to stop them
- same with grape pikmin. I always throw enough for them to do it in one trip, yet you have to babysit where the fruit was (or grab them before they come back)
- same with bridges. If there are no pieces left, go and wait by the damn bridge.

And now I think I just realized it was impossible for me to get her back today because I thought I had the bridge totally finished but it was only like 2/5 done? I feel monumental amounts of stress playing this game.

Randdalf

And now I think I just realized it was impossible for me to get her back today because I thought I had the bridge totally finished but it was only like 2/5 done? I feel monumental amounts of stress playing this game.

The yellow onion is also a safe zone, as long as you had them under her command it would have been fine anyway.

Shahadan

It's not that bad if they die, plenty will take their place! Kill some for fun, it'll take the stress away :D

Otherwise bridges are a priority, just lock and charge on the pieces and be done with it. There are almost always two sets of pieces for a bridge.

It's just a matter of being familiar with some things. In a few days you'll be fine.

There are almost always two sets of pieces for a bridge.

I think there's way more than that for this one. I found two bridge piece places but like I said, it's maybe half done. I think I thought that you only got one shot at each area without restarting, like one day per level or something.

Shahadan

I think there's way more than that for this one. I found two bridge piece places but like I said, it's maybe half done. I think I thought that you only got one shot at each area without restarting, like one day per level or something.

That early in the game? I don't remember. I meant to type "at least" anyway, but on day 4 it should be ok, unless it's the two joining bridges? That one you basically have to do a bridge from each side.

You can even battle bosses and return to finish them the next day; their health doesn't regenerate.

Does anyone have the quote from Miyamota here he said the wiimote was the way to play? Think that was the case and a friend wanted to see.

So I have all the secret memos. What now? What do they mean?

We either have to wait until Miyamoto tells us... or find it out ourselves. Propably we'll have to wait for some update. He told us to note them down and check out the Mission Bingo Battle modes in the meantime. :)

TDM, how are you good at PC RTSes but do bad at Pikmin? smh

Well I'm very fast at giving orders with KB&M while the gamepad makes it much more awkward. But Pikmin is about as similar to Command & Conquer as Final Fantasy VII is to Mass Effect. They're technically in the same genre, but...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope we get more co-op missions as DLC. Was playing this morning with my daughter and its a lot of fun (and a bit chaotic) to work out the best tactics on the fly, and retry levels to get better scores.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I feel monumental amounts of stress playing this game.

I understand it. It IS a stressfull game.
But: don't think that the game structure is so stressfull as you think, or as it seems playing it.
Always think that the aren't real limits to your chances to play through the same area multiple times.
Don't think to be forced to complete every single hint/mini-mission you see looking around.
Take your time, go through the same area 2/3 times without panic.
If at the end of the day you are able to get even only 1 fruit, it is ok.

Damn those
lava rocks
that you pick up later in a game. The amount of times I have spammed A and thrown them into my group of pikmin whilst battling something is unreal :(

NeoRausch

Damn those
lava rocks
that you pick up later in a game. The amount of times I have spammed A and thrown them into my group of pikmin whilst battling something is unreal :(

when I fuck up a day I gather 99 Pikmins and throw a lava rock art them. Pure stress relief!

CoolS

Just reporting in with my impressions of the game. Never really got into Pikmin 1 and din't even play 2.

However I love this one. It's tons of fun, i love the writing and the story, plus it looks absolutely amazing. Probably an instant classic overall.

So far I'm 15 days or about 6 hours in and just unlocked the fourth area. I love playing witm wiimote and nunchuck and having the gamepad on my lap for a better overview and doing multitasking with the different captains. Had one of them take a small squad and get some bombs while I was still fighting the boss. Then she returned just in time to save me and the rest of the Pikmin since we were about to be swallowed up by the boss :(
Felt so great!

Well I'm very fast at giving orders with KB&M while the gamepad makes it much more awkward. But Pikmin is about as similar to Command & Conquer as Final Fantasy VII is to Mass Effect. They're technically in the same genre, but...
Relax and take it slow. You don't have to do everything in one day.

I've had this game since it came out on Saturday and a couple of days ago I got up to the last boss - so basically i've gotten 3 days playtime out of it which is quite disappointing. I have loved every moment of it but knowing there won't be another game like this in a long long time has made me quite sad. It really has that Nintendo charm and i've aways loved the Pikmin series, there really is no other game quite like it except for Little Kings Story which is great but doesn't have that Nintendo feel and it's not based on animals/nature.

The thing that gets me is how they've removed the C-Stick funcionality of the previous 2 games so that they could pigeon-hole the Wii-mote controls!! The Wii U gamepad is the main control method and yet they gimp it because of the Wii-mote (my least favourite control method in history). Would've been much better if they just left this function out when using the Wii-mote, then the gamepad would've been the main control method and it would've been perfect because the 'Go Here' and map functions work beautifully (love using the 'Go Here' command then pulling out the camera - taking snap shots as my party walks to it's destination). Seeing them use the right analogue stick just for camera funcionality is a real downer as this is a huge step backwards. How easy was it in the previous game to just walk near an object and use the c-stick to swarm Pikmin onto it and the exact amount of Pikmin would go to work. It's so much more cumbersome to throw Pikmin at objects/enemies then having to blow the whistle to bring back the ones that were off target or not required. It's also much harder to get Pikmin out of the way of danger using the dodge function instead of the c-stick. I am currently using the Wii-mote because it's much more accurate and without the c-stick the gamepad is the inferior control method.

Another backwards step is the amount of content and part 2 seemed way more polished (Piklopedia) for it's time - the data files and fruit are quite nice to look at but are a cheap excuse for the Piklopedia and all the everyday trinkets from part 2. It's nice seeing a lot of the creatures from part 2 return but seeing as they've reused so much content it's surprising to see that they haven't really added much in the way of new enemies and if I remember correctly I think part 2 had more variety especially with multiple variations of each type. I have noticed the returning enemies seem to have way more move sets/range of behaviour/animations which is a nice addition.

The bosses have been really impressive however and imo are the best creature designs in the whole series. The Vehemoth Phosbat is incredible and carrying it's dead carcass back to the onion watching it's little tendrils bounce around really was a memorable moment in gaming. I do love how the boss enemy bodies remain instead of turning into pellets like in the previous games (if I remember correctly). The graphics overall are incredible and i've always loved Nintendo graphics but I think Pimin 3 has to be their prettiest game so far. The water areas and all the different fruit are incredibly life like.

I know i've been quite down on the game but it's only because I love it so much and really need more of it. It's the best game i've played since Dark Souls and thinking about how much content and replayability I got out of that game it's a shame to have blown through Pikmin 3 in just 3 days. I didn't play it much either, approx 5 hours a day. Granted I have not finished it yet but i've got 63 drinks left and i'm upto day 33 with all the fruit collected so there is maybe only a couple more days of playtime left.

As much as I want the Wii U to succeed I think with 1 game of 15 hours or so every 6 months just really isn't going to cut it. I didn't buy the console for 3rd party games (well technically I did cuz of Monster Hunter Ultimate but I didn't really have a choice of consoles for that) so they really need to put more content into the 1st party stuff. Easily my game of the year...that is untill I get my hands on Dragon's Crown in a few days (aussie here so I have to wait on international shipping...grr).

I will post the final results screen when I complete it this weekend.

Pros: Everything except...
Cons: ..the missing C-stick functionality and the lack of content.

Top Bottom