• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Amneisac

I wonder if the thread will finally start moving once the game is out in the americas. So far, it's been pretty dead. Are there really that few europeans on gaf?

Well, I think there are plenty of Europeans on GAF, but we're subdividing it pretty far:

Europeans > Europeans who own a Wii U > Europeans who own a Wii U and bought Pikmin

That's like... 13 people, but they're probably all on GAF.

zroid

Banned
Kind of the same thing happened with the Mario & Luigi thread. Didn't really get much action from the JP and EU releases.

kubus

Haha yeah I guess that's true. I really hope Pikmin 3 will be able to move some units. I was happy to see some people getting interested in the system after seeing a bunch of screenshots from the game. The game deserves to be played by many!

Just defeated the third boss. I'm really loving this game, having little experience with the series aside from playing a bit of the first. Always feels like you're doing something worthwhile, whether it's exploring, gathering new Pikmin, exploring or progressing the story.

I think I'm about to encounter
blue Pikmin
so looking forward to getting to grips with them and exploring previously inaccessible areas in previous sections.

Or perhaps some of us are having such a good time with the game that we aren't participating that much in the thread :p

But besides the secret memos, and sharing miiverse shots, there's not much 'community' stuff to talk about.

Such a wonderful game though.

kizmah

Man, the game just keeps getting better and better. The level design in the
tropical area
is just amazing. Anyhow, a few more pics.

NeoRausch

Man this game is nice! Almost done with the first runthrough.

Just did (endgame spoilers):

just beat the golden slime thingy that was sucking on Olimar. Quite easy after that stickytoung/crab/stone-beast.
it took away Olimar away again after I got it.
I guess I'm close to the end. right?

all I have to say is that this game is wonderful. I need to get my wife hooked on it for multiplayer purpose!

Randdalf

Just finished unlocking all the Bingo Battle stages, this mode is amazing, I wish it had online so I could play against people other than my family (who aren't very good).

Kouriozan

Well, I think there are plenty of Europeans on GAF, but we're subdividing it pretty far:

Europeans > Europeans who own a Wii U > Europeans who own a Wii U and bought Pikmin

I'm too busy enjoying that game to post in this thread :p
Seriously, this game is so awesome that it need DLC!

Randdalf

My final report. I definitely played more than 11 hours, I'm not sure how it counts time.

report.jpg

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
My final report. I definitely played more than 11 hours, I'm not sure how it counts time.

report.jpg

Based on everything I'm reading I am starting to think it only counts "saved" days - when you go back and redo a day, it wipes the playtime from your prior attempt on that day.

Also wouldn't be surprised if the clock isn't ticking during cut scenes, level transitions, and so forth. Essentially a competition clock.

I'm too busy enjoying that game to post in this thread :p
Seriously, this game is so awesome that it need DLC!

Needs free dlc.

It was so short compared to pikmin 2. It only took me 12 hours to get all the fruit and secret memos, which was a bit of a letdown. Could have sworn pikmin 2 was at least 25 hours for 100% completion. Hope the secret memos are for something decent. :/

(endgame spoiler) And why was the
plasm wraith even after olimar?

javac

So I guess its not a big deal when my Pikmin die? I always get the temptation to go back and redo a day if I lose any ;(

Kouriozan

Needs free dlc.

It was so short compared to pikmin 2. It only took me 12 hours to get all the fruit and secret memos, which was a bit of a letdown. Could have sworn pikmin 2 was at least 25 hours for 100% completion. Hope the secret memos are for something decent. :/

(endgame spoiler) And why was the
plasm wraith even after olimar?
Let's hope about that Secret Memos's megatons.
Miyamoto, please.

scakko84

Don't know if i'm the only one, but i find the gamepad controls and the targeting system to be frustrating at times. Targeting flying enemies is a pain and the shrinking fov when locking an enemy is really annoying.
That said, i'm really enjoying the game.

Hoodbury

Don't know if i'm the only one, but i find the gamepad controls and the targeting system to be frustrating at times. Targeting flying enemies is a pain and the shrinking fov when locking an enemy is really annoying.
That said, i'm really enjoying the game.

Miyamoto recommends the Wii-mote and nunchuck.

Shahadan

Btw, what does the number on the miiverse community mean? Is it like the number of posts or number of unique posters?
It's around 16000 right now, I don't know if it's good or bad for less than a week.

jepense

I am one of them, and I am just not writing so much about it because game is so awesome, it's keeping me busy!
I have very limited gaming time so I progress slowly and don't have time to write either. I basically only post if I can idle with the phone while the kids play in the sandbox. Like now.

edit: also, EarthBound!

Anyway, just made it to the fourth area last night. Game clock is at 5 hours, but I've really played at least double that with replays etc. Clearly the timer only tracks active play time, not menus and stuff.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Got the game last night.

quality quality stuff.

are tehre any videos really showing off the multi tasking?

last night I found myself fighting battles on several fronts.. and it was bloody hectic... and I wouldnt mind showing a video that explains how hectic it can be to people.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is
formidable oak
the boss area? Just got to it but don't want to finish the game - I'm checking out the other areas now I have a full set of pikmin

And lock-on + swarm is a game changed. Can't believe I did the
sand eel
without it. My son lost 1 pikmin on that boss and beat it quickly - I lost loads (and took an entire day)

I wish when you split up characters, they'd warn you when an off-screen character sees enemies, rather than the first warning being when pikmin are basically being eaten.

Is [spoiler/spoiler] the boss area? Just got to it but don't want to finish the game - I'm checking out the other areas now I have a full set of pikmin

It looks like it is (I'm at the same place, I did a quick google search). There's clearly an area "downstairs" that could be where the final battle takes place.... I'm going to collect some fruits and extra Pikmins before doing that area. It's pretty hard to manage all 5 different Pikmins at the same time, I can see why they didn't include all 7 in the main game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It looks like it is (I'm at the same place, I did a quick google search). There's clearly an area "downstairs" that could be where the final battle takes place.... I'm going to collect some fruits and extra Pikmins before doing that area. It's pretty hard to manage all 5 different Pikmins at the same time, I can see why they didn't include all 7 in the main game.

Yeah, especially when puzzles generally only need one or two types. I've started taking a handful of each, leaving a guy back at base, and then if I've miscalculated badly I'll send some more of the right type. Worst case I'll just restart the day

NeoRausch

when I beat the final boss, will I be able to roll back a day then to do some fruit collecting and stuff?

and what's that swarming you people talk about?

JoV

The first time I have played a Pikmin, other than about 10 minutes with Pikmin 2. Loving it so far, even if a few of the mechanics took a little time to get my head around.

Only serious gripe is that the pathing is shocking at times. Crossing a bridge is fraught with peril when leading a large group, and I have a hard time at the end of the day tracking down all the individual pikmin who have become stuck on the terrain somewhere. Maybe I just need to lead around smaller groups perhaps.

Jackano

I started a new run yesterday. Man, even something as simple as starting a new game is a complete bullshit thanks to Wii U's OS:

- One save slot, great, that's just great;
- I figured out I will move my Pikmin 3 complete save to my USB drive;
- But I can't move the saves (there are two save files for one slot, wtf) without moving Pikmin 3 update file thanks to the WiiU OS;
- Moves everything, disconnecting the USB drive;
- Restarting the console;
- Console is searching for the USB drive that is disconnected and take 30 seconds to figure out there is nothing to search anymore in USB port 1;
- Launching Pikmin 3... since I wasn't able to move the save files separately than the rest of the Pikmin 3 stuff, the update download again...
- ... And finally 90MB and 5 mins later I can start the game with a new save file.

Wow, just wow. Anyway I did it and was able to replay the game again.

Further thoughts:
- The completed game timer is strange. I mean, it's pretty worhtless since days have a fixed duration. So, what? It's the few seconds you cut when going to the menu in the evening to finish the day, + the last seconds on the last day when you beat the final boss that makes your record? No I think they actually count the time you take in the space ship, because you can look at the map before starting a new day.

- The secret
memos... I know people don't want to go nuts since NSBM2 but I think there will be an update in a couple months with another area to play and finish the story line. The end credits clearly mentions we don't know what caused the crash and we also see pikmins running at something that crashed again.
I even think this coul be a part of the game that was scrapped when they knew they will have no game at all to release this summer...

Anyway the game is cool but definitely needs more content. The replayability isn't that great so basically anyone will enjoy it for a week-end, or a week, and 20H of gameplay later your Wii U will have no fresh game anymore, again.

I played through the game in 3 long and delightful sittings. There are still some fruit and stuff I have to collect.

I also really enjoy the mission mode when you strive for platinum. At first it is a bit work to get into the levels but it is so much fun to work out strategies and multitask. Even beating the first boss in 37 seconds was pretty fun to figure out. Can't wait for co-op and vs matches.

I really hope for DLC in any form

He doesn't seem to get it's designed this way to make you replay the game the way they hope you to. Wii U OS has nothing to do with it

Yeah, Gamecube also had save files that could not be moved, it was annoying back then too. But yeah, either restart from day 1, or create a new user profile for second playthrough...

I wonder if the thread will finally start moving once the game is out in the americas. So far, it's been pretty dead. Are there really that few europeans on gaf?

I'm in Australia but I can't get excited for Pikmin since I never enjoyed it back in the GameCube days. The screenshots everyone are taking sure do look nice though :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
when I beat the final boss, will I be able to roll back a day then to do some fruit collecting and stuff?

and what's that swarming you people talk about?

Lock onto an enemy by holding Z (you can let go once it has locked on), then when you shake the nunchuk all your pikmin will charge at the enemy.

I'm in Australia but I can't get excited for Pikmin since I never enjoyed it back in the GameCube days. The screenshots everyone are taking sure do look nice though :)

I never played a Pikmin game on Gamecube, I was scared of time limits and stuff like that. But looks like the 100 day limit, and the fruit limits are mainly theoretical in Pikmin 3, as you are not likely to run out of time or fruits, even when you play really sloppily. It was probably the same with older games too...

I never played a Pikmin game on Gamecube, I was scared of time limits and stuff like that. But looks like the 100 day limit, and the fruit limits are mainly theoretical in Pikmin 3, as you are not likely to run out of time or fruits, even when you play really sloppily. It was probably the same with older games too...

Yeah. I actually have fruit supply for 40 additional days. Plenty.
With Pikmin 1, you "only" had to collect one ship part a day to get the best ending. On some days you could get up to three so I don't really see the issue there. Pikmin 2 didn't have a limit at all

klier

Further thoughts:
- The completed game timer is strange. I mean, it's pretty worhtless since days have a fixed duration. So, what? It's the few seconds you cut when going to the menu in the evening to finish the day, + the last seconds on the last day when you beat the final boss that makes your record? No I think they actually count the time you take in the space ship, because you can look at the map before starting a new day.

Absolutely no way.

I have not spent 21 hours in my spaceship.

Top Bottom