• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
NA sucker here, with as many people I see in here act surprised when others mention the lock-on charge move, can anyone tell me if the game ever actually teaches you about it? I'd be surprised to hear that a Nintendo game doesn't educate about one of its important mechanics.

NA sucker here, with as many people I see in here act surprised when others mention the lock-on charge move, can anyone tell me if the game ever actually teaches you about it? I'd be surprised to hear that a Nintendo game doesn't educate about one of its important mechanics.

I didn't know of it until I accidentally discovered it.

Try the wiimote, silly.

Wiimote is awesome.

Do I need the sensor bar to work it? Or is it M+ stuff like Zelda? Because the space I'm playing it in will mean sensor bar usage is impossible.

Yes, it's a hint on day 4.

zroid

Banned
I liked Jonathan Holmes' take on C-stick omission -- it makes you feel more like the commander of a group of minions, and less like the minions themselves.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Do I need the sensor bar to work it? Or is it M+ stuff like Zelda? Because the space I'm playing it in will mean sensor bar usage is impossible.

It supports both, with MotionPlus being the favored scheme. I think I heard someone say they couldn't get it to work without the bar actually plugged into the system, but it shouldn't necessarily need to actually interface with the bar during use. I know a lot of MotionPlus games will occasionally re-center when they see the bar, but it might still work without it. Worth trying, at least.

Yes, it's a hint on day 4.

Hm, maybe a lot of people just mash their way through those.

Frodo

I'm starting a new play through now!

Rise, my Pikmins! Rise to realise your true potential! Unleash your cuteness and collect the fruit of the world!

Do I need the sensor bar to work it? Or is it M+ stuff like Zelda? Because the space I'm playing it in will mean sensor bar usage is impossible

You don't have to put the sensor bar on top of the TV; just in the general direction. Or use 2 candles. The Wii U gamepad has a sensor bar built in, but I'm not sure when it is activated...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
As much as I want the Wii U to succeed I think with 1 game of 15 hours or so every 6 months just really isn't going to cut it. I didn't buy the console for 3rd party games (well technically I did cuz of Monster Hunter Ultimate but I didn't really have a choice of consoles for that) so they really need to put more content into the 1st party stuff. Easily my game of the year...that is untill I get my hands on Dragon's Crown in a few days (aussie here so I have to wait on international shipping...grr).

You do know there is quite a challenging Mission mode in there, don't you? Because finishing it (and the story mode) took me about 40 hours all in all, so I do not agree on the game being short on content. 40 hours are actually a nice time for me.

alexmakitto

Neo Member
How can I get to the upper zone in Tropical Wilds? I mean this one: (maybe spoiler)

zsXTGm5.png

Thank you!

How can I get to the upper zone in Tropical Wilds? I mean this one: (maybe spoiler)

You have to
throw a few (5 or so) yellow Pikmin onto the red jumping pad at the lower left side of the isle that you are circling in the map. These will land on the counterpart to the strange block that is in the north of the isle and raise it. Now you go to this northern platform and play a game of weight. Throw more Pikmin onto the northern platform than you threw on the counterpart. And the platform will lower itself again. Step on it and get rid of all the weight by throwing all the Pikmin on the higher ledge in front of you so that the Pikmin on the counterpart weigh more again and raise the platform you are standing on. And voila...!

Finished today. Very pleased.

I was sort of miffed at the ending until the Pikmin started singing and then started legging it to the crashsite. Almost brought a tear.

If it had shown the Purples and Whites too I would have died.

Fabrik

Banned

You really have to get the Platinum medals in Mission mode. Quite challenging but fun.
And if you can, play with a friend Bingo Battle. I spent at least 10 hours with my brother on it last WE.

30+ hours play-time at the moment. Other than Bayonetta, there's only a handful of HD action games I spent as much time with.

alexmakitto

Neo Member
You have to
throw a few (5 or so) yellow Pikmin onto the red jumping pad at the lower left side of the isle that you are circling in the map. These will land on the counterpart to the strange block that is in the north of the isle and raise it. Now you go to this northern platform and play a game of weight. Throw more Pikmin onto the northern platform than you threw on the counterpart. And the platform will lower itself again. Step on it and get rid of all the weight by throwing all the Pikmin on the higher ledge in front of you so that the Pikmin on the counterpart weigh more again and raise the platform you are standing on. And voila...!
Thank you! I couldn't find a way to get up there haha.

I thought the game was a joy to play.

I found it all mostly perfect, can't think of many faults,

Sometimes it was difficult to lock-on to targets (with both control styles)
Also to do the charge and to separate from the Pikmins could mess up for me (or I could mess up)

Was surprised that there is no photo album in the game.
zlCfzRES0gEJc46ZpG

The atmosphere in the game is beautiful.
zlCfzRESsXQSuzGhnn

The screens aspect ratio looks off here, it seems odd to me that the top of the top row is chopped off. Wonder why it is?
zlCfzREimS85OLVz08

Overall it felt like a memorable classic game experience for me.
Thankfully without any over the top hand-holding or long-winded tutorials and explanations.

Nintendo kept it fun.

Fabrik

Banned
I also want to point out that Nintendo's QA is still one of the best in the business. Invisible load times, zero bugs, everything feels robust and clean. As a comparison, last night on PS3, Sonic Generations froze and Drake traversed the floor in Uncharted 2.

kizmah

NA sucker here, with as many people I see in here act surprised when others mention the lock-on charge move, can anyone tell me if the game ever actually teaches you about it?

It's in the manual that comes with the game.

Currently at exploration day 10 and the game just keeps on getting better and better. It really is one of the best titles I've played in quite a while and without a doubt the best one on Wii U. The game just oozes creativity and charm and the areas keep on evolving as I venture further with my Pikmins and face the growing challenges thrown at me. This is Nintendo at their best!

Wow, this game is so beautiful. When the ships take off into space I'm always impressed. The slightly more powerful Wii U (over PS3 / 360) combined with Nintendo's cohesive art direction make this game a joy to behold. I'm glad the devs at Nintendo know how to make a game look good while not overwhelming the system's hardware.

xandaca

There must be something I'm doing wrong with the lock on + charge move. About half the time I do it, I press B (on the Gamepad) and my Pikmin disband rather than attack. Sometimes half of them attack and the other half leave my control. Maybe it's just me, but while this game is fun, it's full of these deeply irritating control niggles which cause huge amounts of frustration. Camera control, or needless lack thereof, being another.

Deadstar

The thing that gets me is how they've removed the C-Stick funcionality of the previous 2 games so that they could pigeon-hole the Wii-mote controls!! The Wii U gamepad is the main control method and yet they gimp it because of the Wii-mote (my least favourite control method in history). Would've been much better if they just left this function out when using the Wii-mote, then the gamepad would've been the main control method and it would've been perfect because the 'Go Here' and map functions work beautifully (love using the 'Go Here' command then pulling out the camera - taking snap shots as my party walks to it's destination). Seeing them use the right analogue stick just for camera funcionality is a real downer as this is a huge step backwards. How easy was it in the previous game to just walk near an object and use the c-stick to swarm Pikmin onto it and the exact amount of Pikmin would go to work. It's so much more cumbersome to throw Pikmin at objects/enemies then having to blow the whistle to bring back the ones that were off target or not required. It's also much harder to get Pikmin out of the way of danger using the dodge function instead of the c-stick. I am currently using the Wii-mote because it's much more accurate and without the c-stick the gamepad is the inferior control method.

This sounds terrible!!!! That's what made Pikmin fun. Argh, I hate how Nintendo ruins there own games sometimes. Why isn't there at least an option for that if you use the game pad with c stick controls?!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
There must be something I'm doing wrong with the lock on + charge move. About half the time I do it, I press B (on the Gamepad) and my Pikmin disband rather than attack. Sometimes half of them attack and the other half leave my control. Maybe it's just me, but while this game is fun, it's full of these deeply irritating control niggles which cause huge amounts of frustration. Camera control, or needless lack thereof, being another.

If you disband instead of attack, it's because you're not locked. That's the state that toggles what the action does. Maybe sometimes you kill something inadvertently and it breaks the lock? I'm not sure on the specifics.

This sounds terrible!!!! That's what made Pikmin fun. Argh, I hate how Nintendo ruins there own games sometimes. Why isn't there at least an option for that if you use the game pad with c stick controls?!

Don't worry, there are enough glowing impressions in this thread to assure you that the game is far from ruined.

They should have let you play as your mii in mission mode and bingo battle.

Anyways, first pikmin game, so I can't be affected by any changes from the past games. Soo close.

Do y'all think it's worth it for me to trade in two games to get Pikmin 3 for $10?

I have Animal Crossing City Folk and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D...

GameStop is having a deal hmm...

The short playtimes is really worrying...I hope that Miyamoto ends up doing the DLC.

I have a feeling the so called DLC is already done, or at least almost finished,
the end of the game is set up for dlc.
And alongside those secret memo's it's a given.
I'm just shocked that i haven't seen more annoyed people on this thread after the credits.
the game whilst it lasts is amazing, but it's clearly missing a lot of content.

If they ever do a pikmin 4, please change up the environments.
proper desert area (the one in pikmin 3 is wasted), actual beach,
fully underwater area with coral/sea creatures, sunken ship.
And why not add more larger human objects in areas given it's supposed to be earth,
old decaying houses,sheds, cars, boats, lots of potential wasted...

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I have no doubt the game is awesome but I really liked that functionality. Makes me angry because now I'm less excited to play it.

Honestly I felt the same way when I realized it was missing several months ago. But the ways they've edited the game really do seem to make the move less necessary. The charge move, the side-dodges, the way your group keeps packed in a tighter bunch, making manual thinning-out to cross narrow paths unnecessary. At this point I'm just looking forward to finally being able to give all of these new mechanics a try. I loved the c-stick as much as the next guy, but I'm always up for fresh ways to experience a game.

Do y'all think it's worth it for me to trade in two games to get Pikmin 3 for $10?

I have Animal Crossing City Folk and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D...

GameStop is having a deal hmm...

If that's the only way you can afford it and/or you're burnt out of playing both them games where you're convinced you won't care about selling them. Id say go for it.

After fees/shipping, that's how much you'd probably get for them two games off eBay.

Semajer

I was feeling like playing more Pikmin, so I went back to Pikmin 2 to finally get all pink flowers on Challenge Mode. It is INSANE how much more polished things are in Pikmin 3.

In Pikmin 2 I was throwing Pikmin not knowing where they were landing, and it was such a struggle to get them to follow you properly, they got stuck on every possible corner available to them.

I do hope that the DLC, or a Pikmin 4 includes more things from Pikmin 2, like the huge range of enemies, coupled with the refined Pikmin 3 controls, it'll be something special.

ASIS

The thing that gets me is how they've removed the C-Stick funcionality of the previous 2 games so that they could pigeon-hole the Wii-mote controls!! The Wii U gamepad is the main control method and yet they gimp it because of the Wii-mote (my least favourite control method in history). Would've been much better if they just left this function out when using the Wii-mote, then the gamepad would've been the main control method and it would've been perfect because the 'Go Here' and map functions work beautifully (love using the 'Go Here' command then pulling out the camera - taking snap shots as my party walks to it's destination). Seeing them use the right analogue stick just for camera funcionality is a real downer as this is a huge step backwards. How easy was it in the previous game to just walk near an object and use the c-stick to swarm Pikmin onto it and the exact amount of Pikmin would go to work. It's so much more cumbersome to throw Pikmin at objects/enemies then having to blow the whistle to bring back the ones that were off target or not required. It's also much harder to get Pikmin out of the way of danger using the dodge function instead of the c-stick. I am currently using the Wii-mote because it's much more accurate and without the c-stick the gamepad is the inferior control method.

Wiimote can handle C-stick functionality very well though....

Defect

Nintendo World (NYC) is having a launch celebration on Saturday and you can buy the game a day early.

Any Gaffers going?

Kinda on/off topic but are Wii U downloadable game saves compatible work with retail games and vice versa?

i only ask because i was thinking if i had borrowed a retail version and liked it enough to warrant a digital purchase and wanted to make sure it would still read the current save.

Top Bottom