• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

You do know there is quite a challenging Mission mode in there, don't you? Because finishing it (and the story mode) took me about 40 hours all in all, so I do not agree on the game being short on content. 40 hours are actually a nice time for me.

I'm going to a friends house tonight and gonna try out the multiplayer. Hope it ends up being a good party game, if so then I will be happy with the length/content. Personally I replayed a lot of the levels to try and get around 3-4 fruit a day so in all honesty I think there was less than 15 hours content in the story mode - I could've blown through it in about 6-8 if I had really wanted. It's just that I waited 9 years for a sequel and it's all over so quickly!

Also how is everyone posting pics from the game? Do I need to run my Wii U through my PC with a capture card? The only way I can imagine getting some of those shots for me would be to take a picture of my tv screen with my phone. Any help would be appreciated...

zroid

Banned
I'm on the edge of my seat here, refreshing the tracking status page :lol

I was just reminded that Monday is a holiday so if it doesn't get delivered tomorrow, I'll have to wait till Tuesday. I will cry a lake.

Roo

Kinda on/off topic but are Wii U downloadable game saves compatible work with retail games and vice versa?

i only ask because i was thinking if i had borrowed a retail version and liked it enough to warrant a digital purchase and wanted to make sure it would still read the current save.

I read a comment here in NeoGAF saying that both digital and retail share the same save data. Can't remember which game tho. I think it was ZombiU. Not sure if it works for every game.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Kinda on/off topic but are Wii U downloadable game saves compatible work with retail games and vice versa?

Yes.

Also how is everyone posting pics from the game? Do I need to run my Wii U through my PC with a capture card? The only way I can imagine getting some of those shots for me would be to take a picture of my tv screen with my phone. Any help would be appreciated...

You have two options:
1. Whenever you want a screenshot press HOME button on the gamepad and go to Miiverse and you can make a new post there with the screenshot attached.
2. There is a PHOTO function in the game, using the gamepad that lets you zoom at the level of your characters and lets you upload the picture in Miiverse.

Then you can go to https://miiverse.nintendo.net/, log in with your NNID and get the link to the pictures. Like this:

( spoiler because is around one of the bosses)

Cuburt

i only ask because i was thinking if i had borrowed a retail version and liked it enough to warrant a digital purchase and wanted to make sure it would still read the current save.

I've later gotten digital versions of Nintendoland, AC3, and Zombi U after first having a physical copy so I can confirm that old save files are used by digital games. I don't know if the reverse is possible.

How do I beat
Phosphobat? I've used up all my light bulbs and now can't work out how to hurt him. I used one lone Pikmin as bait so he appeared, but they could hurt him when attacking.

Jofamo

How do I beat
Phosphobat? I've used up all my light bulbs and now can't work out how to hurt him. I used one lone Pikmin as bait so he appeared, but they could hurt him when attacking.

Theres one big lightbulb left to activate. Build the bridge.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yesterday I've beaten the third boss. And I continued to explore that area, finding a lot of fruits (even at hard to be reached areas), a "power up" for the captains and a "power up" for the pikmins. I was very satisfied. I'm also full of juice ratios now (24 I guess).
Soooo good.

I read a comment here in NeoGAF saying that both digital and retail share the same save data. Can't remember which game tho. I think it was ZombiU. Not sure if it works for every game.

I've later gotten digital versions of Nintendoland, AC3, and Zombi U after first having a physical copy so I can confirm that old save files are used by digital games. I don't know if the reverse is possible.

Good stuff, thanks guys

Mael

I started a new run yesterday. Man, even something as simple as starting a new game is a complete bullshit thanks to Wii U's OS:

- One save slot, great, that's just great;
- I figured out I will move my Pikmin 3 complete save to my USB drive;
- But I can't move the saves (there are two save files for one slot, wtf) without moving Pikmin 3 update file thanks to the WiiU OS;
- Moves everything, disconnecting the USB drive;
- Restarting the console;
- Console is searching for the USB drive that is disconnected and take 30 seconds to figure out there is nothing to search anymore in USB port 1;
- Launching Pikmin 3... since I wasn't able to move the save files separately than the rest of the Pikmin 3 stuff, the update download again...
- ... And finally 90MB and 5 mins later I can start the game with a new save file.

Wow, just wow. Anyway I did it and was able to replay the game again.

Further thoughts:
- The completed game timer is strange. I mean, it's pretty worhtless since days have a fixed duration. So, what? It's the few seconds you cut when going to the menu in the evening to finish the day, + the last seconds on the last day when you beat the final boss that makes your record? No I think they actually count the time you take in the space ship, because you can look at the map before starting a new day.

- The secret
memos... I know people don't want to go nuts since NSBM2 but I think there will be an update in a couple months with another area to play and finish the story line. The end credits clearly mentions we don't know what caused the crash and we also see pikmins running at something that crashed again.
I even think this coul be a part of the game that was scrapped when they knew they will have no game at all to release this summer...

Anyway the game is cool but definitely needs more content. The replayability isn't that great so basically anyone will enjoy it for a week-end, or a week, and 20H of gameplay later your Wii U will have no fresh game anymore, again.

The game doesn't have 1 save slot per profile like ZombiU?

klier

I don't know how to do it, so what is the trick to get your Miiverse shots on the real internet?

I finished the game yesterday. Nintendo classic through and through.

Mael

It has. Log in with a different profile and you start a fresh new run.

Cool!
So why did Jackano had to go through all that trouble?
Couldn't he just had to make a new profile and start anew?
Anyway that's good news, I have more profiles than I'm willing to use so that won't hinder how I play Pikmin unlike the lack of piklopedia...

CoolZombie

I am up to day 25 on this now, taking my time but still really enjoying it!

Does any of the fruit ever regenerate or is there only a set amount in the game? I don't want to run out because I am really playing the game slowly!

Cool!
So why did Jackano had to go through all that trouble?
Couldn't he just had to make a new profile and start anew?
Anyway that's good news, I have more profiles than I'm willing to use so that won't hinder how I play Pikmin unlike the lack of piklopedia...

And you can also just restart from the first day if you don't like messing around with the profiles. On the other hand once you have created an another profile, you can also use it with other games.

Shahadan

So is this Pikmin Anime talk real? It would be amazing actually. I also can see it boost sales, but if it comes it"ll be too late I guess.

Started the game yesterday and played till the first boss. Who kikked my ass but there was too little time.

I love how crisp and lovely everything looks. Textures are fine, except when you zoom in (even a bit).

I do not like the gamepad while i use the wiimote+. And i refuse to use anything BUT the wiimote+. It takes me out of the game experience. That's a real shame.

Otherwise, i'm very very happy i can finally play this gem.

kubus

After seeing a lot of the same questions in the OT, and still hearing things like "what?! there was a lock on feature?!", I decided to make a little FAQ/Tips infosheet for Pikmin 3! It might help out a lot of new players that are bound to come running to the thread now that the game is starting to get in the hands of Americans etc. Maybe add it to the OP, since that doesn't have a FAQ section yet? Anyways I hope it'll help some people.

(Not saying that people asking questions are annoying by the way. I asked my share of questions when I was playing the game too. I just want to help :D)

EeqVQYZ.png

(edit: V2 up)

If people think it's stupid, that's alright. I don't mind. Likewise, if anyone wants to correct something or add something, let me know and I'll edit it!

So is this Pikmin Anime talk real? It would be amazing actually. I also can see it boost sales, but if it comes it"ll be too late I guess.
About that, it's not an anime, but a series of CGI shorts intended to be released on Nintendo Video/3DS eShop. At least, that's what Miyamoto said in an interview. See my post for more information: link.

alexmakitto

Neo Member
I am up to day 25 on this now, taking my time but still really enjoying it!

Does any of the fruit ever regenerate or is there only a set amount in the game? I don't want to run out because I am really playing the game slowly!

There are 66 pieces of fruit and they don't regenerate. If you run out you'll see a GAME OVER screen.

After seeing a lot of the same questions in the OT, and still hearing things like "what?! there was a lock on feature?!", I decided to make a little FAQ/Tips infosheet for Pikmin 3! It might help out a lot of new players that are bound to come running to the thread now that the game is starting to get in the hands of Americans etc. Maybe add it to the OP, since that doesn't have a FAQ section yet? Anyways I hope it'll help some people.

(Not saying that people asking questions are annoying by the way. I asked my share of questions when I was playing the game too. I just want to help :D)

http://i.imgur.com/p3WRjPR.png[/im

If people think it's stupid, that's alright. I don't mind. Likewise, if anyone wants to correct something or add something, let me know and I'll edit it![/QUOTE]
Pretty cool! The game comes out in two days here (US) and I'm still unsure which control setup I'll be using. I'm leaning towards the gamepad because I don't want to have to juggle the Wiimote and nunchuck with it.

I've heard that whenever you sent a captain to another area of the map, they ignore the enemies, and so enemies will eat at the Pikmin. Has anybody had any problems with this? If so, how did you deal with it?

CoolS

I've heard that whenever you sent a captain to another area of the map, they ignore the enemies, and so enemies will eat at the Pikmin. Has anybody had any problems with this? If so, how did you deal with it?

Yes, this has actually been my only problem so far with the game. The just walk to the destination and ignore enemies, which can result in a lot of Pikmin casualties.

The best thing you can do is check the route your captains will be walking on the TV and look if there are any enemies there. If there are, have them stop before the enemies and take control of them then.

I'd think it kind of obvious that if you're going to send a captain somewhere with the "go here" command that you ensure that the path is enemy free first. The only time Pikmin act of their own accord is when they're not under the command of a captain so it's not really surprising that ignoring enemies is given priority over your pikmin say deciding to take on a Bulborb head on without player guidance which I can only imagine turning into an even bigger slaughter.
Think of it like carrying an item back to the onion, you wouldn't in good conscience just leave the pikmin to carry pellets through a pack of enemies, I'd say the same goes for "go here" commands. Of course if you really want to make strong use of the feature then scan the path you wish to take with the overhead map, if there are enemies on the way place the destination marker before the enemies, take back over control when they reach that destination to deal with the enemies yourself.

http://i.imgur.com/p3WRjPR.png[img]

If people think it's stupid, that's alright. I don't mind. Likewise, if anyone wants to correct something or add something, let me know and I'll edit it![/QUOTE]
This is good stuff, I fully endorse its insertion into the opening post.

zroid

Banned
Yes, this has actually been my only problem so far with the game. The just walk to the destination and ignore enemies, which can result in a lot of Pikmin casualties.

The best thing you can do is check the route your captains will be walking on the TV and look if there are any enemies there. If there are, have them stop before the enemies and take control of them then.

So can you actually examine the landscape without being physically present? How does that work, do you tap the location on the GamePad's map and it shows the full view on the TV?

kubus

So can you actually examine the landscape without being physically present? How does that work, do you tap the location on the GamePad's map and it shows the full view on the TV?
When you scroll through the world map on the GamePad, you can view the environment in a top down view on the tv. It's exactly the same as what you're seeing on the GamePad, but instead of a drawing of the map, you're looking at the real thing :).

Hope that's not too vague :p

I mostly played using the wiimote and just rested the Gamepad on my lap,I think it would be awkward if it was on the table unless you don't use the map for 'Go-there'.

I had not noticed when I first started playing using just the Gamepad for off-tv play that if you hold down the R-Shoulder button you can move the cursor without moving the character.

Randdalf

I mostly played using the wiimote and just rested the Gamepad on my lap,I think it would be awkward if it was on the table unless you don't use the map for 'Go-there'.

I had not noticed when I first started playing using just the Gamepad for off-tv play that if you hold down the R-Shoulder button you can move the cursor without moving the character.

I played through the entire game without knowing that, lol

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen.

But you can't move the captain?

zroid

Banned
When you scroll through the world map on the GamePad, you can view the environment in a top down view on the tv. It's exactly the same as what you're seeing on the GamePad, but instead of a drawing of the map, you're looking at the real thing :).

Oh that's really cool. Didn't expect you'd be able to do that. Is it only for areas you've explored already, or can you see the whole thing whenever you want?

CoolS

Small addition: it obviously only works for areas you've been in before.

kizmah

I tried out playing with the gamepad but switched over to wiimote+nunchuck and the latter is just so much better. The responsiveness and the pinpoint accuracy I gain with the wiimote is priceless in this game. Especially later on when multitasking becomes a big part of the gameplay. Just rest the gamepad besides you. You only use it ocasionally when you want to order the captain to a certain point on the map or pick it up when you want to take a picture (can't praise this feature enough). Otherwise you only glance at the map and it's no problem whatsoever to do that while focusing mostly on your tv.

Alec

Checked my digital locker on PowerUpRewards.com and my Pikmin code just showed up. I'm not in a position to test if the code works yet, though.

Exile20

I started a new run yesterday. Man, even something as simple as starting a new game is a complete bullshit thanks to Wii U's OS:

- One save slot, great, that's just great;
- I figured out I will move my Pikmin 3 complete save to my USB drive;
- But I can't move the saves (there are two save files for one slot, wtf) without moving Pikmin 3 update file thanks to the WiiU OS;
- Moves everything, disconnecting the USB drive;
- Restarting the console;
- Console is searching for the USB drive that is disconnected and take 30 seconds to figure out there is nothing to search anymore in USB port 1;
- Launching Pikmin 3... since I wasn't able to move the save files separately than the rest of the Pikmin 3 stuff, the update download again...
- ... And finally 90MB and 5 mins later I can start the game with a new save file.

Wow, just wow. Anyway I did it and was able to replay the game again.

Further thoughts:
- The completed game timer is strange. I mean, it's pretty worhtless since days have a fixed duration. So, what? It's the few seconds you cut when going to the menu in the evening to finish the day, + the last seconds on the last day when you beat the final boss that makes your record? No I think they actually count the time you take in the space ship, because you can look at the map before starting a new day.

- The secret
memos... I know people don't want to go nuts since NSBM2 but I think there will be an update in a couple months with another area to play and finish the story line. The end credits clearly mentions we don't know what caused the crash and we also see pikmins running at something that crashed again.
I even think this coul be a part of the game that was scrapped when they knew they will have no game at all to release this summer...

Anyway the game is cool but definitely needs more content. The replayability isn't that great so basically anyone will enjoy it for a week-end, or a week, and 20H of gameplay later your Wii U will have no fresh game anymore, again.

Dude you can just change profiles and start a new game, it isn't that serious.

Edit: And beaten.......

Alpha_eX

It seems I've reached the final boss
level (sad that it's a pure boss stage)
on Day 15, not sure if I should go collect all the fruit first or finish the boss. Can I go back and collect bits after finishing the game or should I do it now?

I currently have 38/66 types starting day 15.

It seems I've reached the final boss
level (sad that it's a pure boss stage)
on Day 15, not sure if I should go collect all the fruit first or finish the boss. Can I go back and collect bits after finishing the game or should I do it now?

I currently have 38/66 types starting day 15.

Do it now. The credits roll once you beat that boss, and you have to restart from the beginning of that day (or earlier) if you want to continue.

Jackano

The game doesn't have 1 save slot per profile like ZombiU?

Dude you can just change profiles and start a new game, it isn't that serious.

Edit: And beaten.......

I don't want to create a dummy profile, I want to beat my own completion time while keeping my previous save!
If that's the kind of stuff we "gain" with an account system, always online kinda stuff, I rather prefer Nintendo staying 15 years behind.

Top Bottom