• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

kubus

Reposting for new page!

EeqVQYZ.png

edit: V2, removed the part about the in game timer being off (it's still not clear why there's a big difference between in game timer and activity log, so I'll leave it out until we know more) and added two new questions.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I also want to point at that Nintendo's QA is still one of the best in the business. Invisible load times, zero bugs, everything feels robust and clean. As a comparison, last night on PS3, Sonic Generations froze and Drake traversed the floor in Uncharted 2.

I am playing this inbetween sessions of completing ass creed 3. Man the difference is insane. That nintendo polish!

Rootbeer

Banned
How are they supposed to swing RDD, when UPS/FEDEX/USPS are not available?!

Unless you're not an American, then I have no idea how that works for you...
I think the whole Sunday release date thing is part of a strategy by Nintendo, for what reason I don't know... it could be that they are trying to deter the hardcore fans that they know will want their new titles on release day from ordering from an online retailer... because obviously they can't deliver on Sunday

rather it's designed for that, or to help push digital sales (which can become available anytime Nintendo wants), they have to have some good reason.

they should do tues releases like everyone else :(

Murrah

Banned
Dang, saw the Miiverse community up right before heading to bed. So jelly I have to wait until Sunday to pick up my copy at GameStop

zroid

Banned
Dang, saw the Miiverse community up right before heading to bed. So jelly I have to wait until Sunday to pick up my copy at GameStop

oh! I'm so glad they didn't wait till Sunday. Going to take tons of screenshots tomorrow. :D

Even today I felt I wanted to log a photo on a few occasions and was sad when I couldn't. :(

got my gamestop code at midnight download took about 45min. Been playing for about an hour and a half and i dont want to put it down ; ;

Beat THAT boss in Garden of hope yesterday. Took me 3 days to beat it, what a bitch! Awesome stuff, completely dwarfs anything from the two first games.

flc

I started a new run yesterday. Man, even something as simple as starting a new game is a complete bullshit thanks to Wii U's OS:

- One save slot, great, that's just great;
- I figured out I will move my Pikmin 3 complete save to my USB drive;
- But I can't move the saves (there are two save files for one slot, wtf) without moving Pikmin 3 update file thanks to the WiiU OS;
- Moves everything, disconnecting the USB drive;
- Restarting the console;
- Console is searching for the USB drive that is disconnected and take 30 seconds to figure out there is nothing to search anymore in USB port 1;
- Launching Pikmin 3... since I wasn't able to move the save files separately than the rest of the Pikmin 3 stuff, the update download again...
- ... And finally 90MB and 5 mins later I can start the game with a new save file.

Wow, just wow. Anyway I did it and was able to replay the game again.

Further thoughts:
- The completed game timer is strange. I mean, it's pretty worhtless since days have a fixed duration. So, what? It's the few seconds you cut when going to the menu in the evening to finish the day, + the last seconds on the last day when you beat the final boss that makes your record? No I think they actually count the time you take in the space ship, because you can look at the map before starting a new day.

You can start a new game by selecting day 1 at the day selection menu. If you finish the day and save, your game will be reset. Pretty sure the game explains this at some point.

Completed game timer counts day restarts (my 10-day 100% run right now is at about 30 hours since I've been doing a lot of restarts to try things out even though I'm at day 4).

Edit: Just saw that someone's been posting saying that the timer doesn't count resets. Again, I've done 3 days and am starting on day 4 (about 1 hour of playtime with no resets) and clocked up over 30 hours of ingame time already on this save file.

Rootbeer

Banned
Mmkay so just as I was about to cancel my amazon order and deciding to stroll into gamestop on Sunday to pick up a copy, amazon is now shipping my order... ehh, I'll just let it go through. I can wait a few extra days... >.> Have tons on my 3DS to keep me busy anyway.

Excited to dive in though!

kubus

Completed game timer counts day restarts (my 10-day 100% run right now is at about 30 hours since I've been doing a lot of restarts to try things out even though I'm at day 4).

Edit: Just saw that someone's been posting saying that the timer doesn't count resets. Again, I've done 3 days and am starting on day 4 (about 1 hour of playtime with no resets) and clocked up over 30 hours of ingame time already on this save file.
What? Really? That's strange...

Somehow the in game timer calculates game time dfferently, but then I don't know what it is. Could you check your Wii U activity log to see if there is a big difference between your in game time and your actual time?

It's strange that in my file my time is 11:38 but the activity log says 15 hours something.

I'll boot up my pc in a few minutes to edit that part out of the FAQ image. I really do wonder what's up with the timer then.

Apologies for any confusion caused :(

Edit: Fixed the image. Scroll up for V2. Also added two new questions.

CrisKre

Im in love gaf. Been playing for 5 hours. The game is very intricate, especially the level design, from the get go.

The charm has been amped a notch and the presentation is absolutely delicious.

My favorite line so far?

ALPH: they don't call me the keen engineer for nothing!
BRITTNEY: nobody calls you that.
ALPH: true. *sigh*

Nintendo localization shines again.

zroid

Banned
Im in love gaf. Been playing for 5 hours. The game is very intricate, especially the level design, from the get go.

The charm has been amped a notch and the presentation is absolutely delicious.

My favorite line so far?

ALPH: they don't call me the keen engineer for nothing!
BRITTNEY: nobody calls you that.
ALPH: true. *sigh*

Nintendo localization shines again.

I've only played for about an hour so far, but I agree with everything you said :p

Especially the "delicious" part

Social

Over 5 years in development seems rushed to you? K...

Well, you can tell that they struggled with keeping the game long enough. So it feels rushed in the sense that they did not have time enough to design better puzzles for a lot of fruit. Still a great experience in the end.

jmls1121

Banned
I am playing this inbetween sessions of completing ass creed 3. Man the difference is insane. That nintendo polish!

And this is why despite all their faults, I still stick with Nintendo. There is nothing that is worse than an unpolished game. I am glad they are still able to keep things bug free even when developing in HD

So im collection all the fruits after beating the game yesterday, im in the garden of hope and I still cant figure how to get up the zone at the nort of the map, the one that has like a bronze box in the floor that does nothing but put a number above the pikmins you throw there.
Im trying to look somewhere in the internet of how to get up there and still I cant find it, all the guides go straight to beating the game.
Can someone help me get up there?

kubus

So im collection all the fruits after beating the game yesterday, im in the garden of hope and I still cant figure how to get up the zone at the nort of the map, the one that has like a bronze box in the floor that does nothing but put a number above the pikmins you throw there.
Im trying to look somewhere in the internet of how to get up there and still I cant find it, all the guides go straight to beating the game.
Can someone help me get up there?
I covered this question in the FAQ & Tips picture at the top of this page actually! This question has been asked a LOT. :p

Check your KopPad for an area hint. If you still can't figure it out, here's another hint:
look for the red jumping pad

hwy_61

Banned
I have a 24hr Walmart nearby. Maybe I'll go pick it up if I'm still awake by that time. At least that way I'll have it in the early morning.

I covered this question in the FAQ & Tips picture at the top of this page actually! This question has been asked a LOT. :p

Check your KopPad for an area hint. If you still can't figure it out, here's another hint:
look for the red jumping pad

As I read on the faq tropical winds I thought it was another different area. In spanish for example garden of hope is called Forest of Life (I had a hard time finding the name they did for the english localisation lol).

Ive already seen the red jumping pad, but for god that I can get there and I tried... wait, maybe yellow pikmins... OH SHIT! And I didnt want to use it because I couldnt throw one of the captains lol.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
for those who aleady beat the game

how many days took you to save Olimar from the golden creature, before the real boss battle
?

Kouriozan

for those who aleady beat the game

how many days took you to save Olimar from the golden creature, before the real boss battle
?

2 days to finish that "labyrinth", getting everything (secret memos), then another day to fight the boss.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
When does this unlock on the eShop channel for download? *In the US

CoolS

All Pikim get.

And holy shit at that twist right before you get the blue pikmin.
i want my 42 bottles of Juice back Louie!!!!!

Top Bottom