• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Shahadan

Bingo Mode would have lost so much if it were online. Or even if they allowed our screen on the gamepad.
Being able to see what the other player is doing adds so much. And since I love being a dick, it helps.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, I play the mission mode together with my girlfriend and we are having in blast. We just got our first platinum medal and the game was crazy. And both players must be perfectly synchronized. And the feelings you have at the end of that platinum mission is unbelievable. Now we have to get all the platinum medals.

So I just tried Mission Mode co-op with my boyfriend (who has never touched a Pikmin game before) and we had a blast.

Just wow, after beating the story I thought this game was already one of this gen's finest, but after Mission Mode... I think it has become my favorite game this year. It was... FUN. The amount of cooperation needed to get a Platinum is absurd and makes it so enjoyable. We were constantly talking, discussing our next move. "Did you get that wall yet? Oh crap I need two more blue Pikmin for this strawberry!" "No worries, I'm on the bridge above you. I'll toss two Blues your way! Can you get those bridge pieces too?" "Yep, got them! Once I'm done here I'll throw my Pikmins over the ledge so you can use them for those fruits!" "Sweet, thanks!" Etc etc. And then getting a Platinum after all that teamwork.. So much feels.

This is why I love Nintendo games. Only Nintendo can do this stuff to me. Thank you Ninty for making Pikmin 3 <'3

Agreed. although olaying with my 9 year old daughter we're haloy with gold. Mission mode DLC please Nintendo!

Frodo

That's high praise. Is this a common sentiment? SMG is one of my favorite games.

It is a great game for sure. The main campaign is waaay shorter than SMG, though. But there is also Mission and Bingo mode to extend the re-play.

I'm not sure I would compare it to SMG, but Pikmin 3 can stand on its own legs. Very polished and entertaining experience. It is definitely one of the best (if not the best) games Nintendo released recently.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I bested the final boss and was prompted to save my file with the warning that it would erase previous data. I chose no as I hadn't collected all the fruit. So it isn't like Pikmin 2 where you can go back and finish everything, but more like Wario Land where you are graded by your performance during that run?

But if one does start again, do you have to explore the map again or do you get to keep an image of what you have seen. It would make planning much easier on second playthroughs for more effective performance.

But yeah, that final level. Once you get enough space you can just run keep sending the Olimar carrying Pikmin running around in giant circles, but it sure does start off nerve racking. And it took me a while to realise I was fighting the boss all wrong. Once I realised you were meant to attack his big attacks rather than dodge them it was much easier. I was trying to chip gold sludge off him while waiting for him to do that spin attack.

So I bested the final boss and was prompted to save my file with the warning that it would erase previous data. I chose no as I hadn't collected all the fruit. So it isn't like Pikmin 2 where you can go back and finish everything, but more like Wario Land where you are graded by your performance during that run?

But if one does start again, do you have to explore the map again or do you get to keep an image of what you have seen. It would make planning much easier on second playthroughs for more effective performance.

But yeah, that final level. Once you get enough space you can just run keep sending the Olimar carrying Pikmin running around in giant circles, but it sure does start off nerve racking. And it took me a while to realise I was fighting the boss all wrong. Once I realised you were meant to attack his big attacks rather than dodge them it was much easier. I was trying to chip gold sludge off him while waiting for him to do that spin attack.

If you save the game you can still go back and collect the fruit but you'll have to jump one day back in time to do so and then you can carry on from there, at least that's how I think it goes, that and the final boss will of course have to be beaten again.
Not sure about the answer to the second question.

If you save the game you can still go back and collect the fruit but you'll have to jump one day back in time to do so and then you can carry on from there, at least that's how I think it goes, that and the final boss will of course have to be beaten again.
Not sure about the answer to the second question.

OH GOD THE SPOILERS

ASIS

It's honestly the best thing Nintendo have made in years. It's Super Mario Galaxy-tier.

Apple and oranges but I think it has the same" feels so good" effect. Everything is just perfect

... I can't take this anymore. Waiting until October to play this and W101 is too brutal, I'm honestly debating to buy a cheap Wii U for these two games and then sell it once I get my original console back. This is brutal :(

... I can't take this anymore. Waiting until October to play this and W101 is too brutal, I'm honestly debating to buy a cheap Wii U for these two games and then sell it once I get my original console back. This is brutal :(

Da F is wrong with you, man! Why happened to your original console?!

zroid

Banned
I believe Pikmin 3 has perfected the time management introduced in the first Pikmin, but the one thing which does annoy me is fighting bosses. Even though you can pick right back up where you left off on the next day, I think time should've been stopped during boss fights. It's not like time never halts throughout the game anyway; there are a few instances where this happens. If you're really getting clobbered and require a new day to regroup, you could still take the option to end the day manually mid-battle.

It's the one scenario where that time pressure feels more frustrating than enjoyable to me. Getting stopped in your tracks when the day ends is real irksome, and moreover it's one situation where you're likely to suddenly lose possession of Pikmin without notice. Things could go very badly, very quickly.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think this has been confirmed before but want to make sure- "midnight" for Nintendo re: downloading from the e-shop means midnight PST and 3 AM EST?

Big piece of advice for new players, do not rush this game...
if you've already finished it, go back and carry on if you can.
The chatting between the 3 characters get's amazing later on, for me past day 40.
Every time you get the chance, make sure you use the talk option between days.
Most people are going to miss some of the best dialogue nintendo has ever produced.

elizabeth the duck (not the floating rubber duck)
almost made up for the lack of piklopedia for me.

zroid

Banned
The chatting between the 3 characters get's amazing later on, for me past day 40.
Every time you get the chance, make sure you use the talk option between days.
Most people are going to miss some of the best dialogue nintendo has ever produced.

I KNOW!!!

it's so damn good. even the conversations between just alph and brittany are fantastic

Drenrim

Neo Member
Bingo Battle is the greatest...

My friend and I literally played for 5 hours without realizing where the time went.

Pikmin should be considered a systemseller. It is so perfectly crafted and I love every second I play of it.

Two wishes I have: I wish you could share/save the videos of your missions, and I wish Bingo Battle was online though.

ASIS

Da F is wrong with you, man! Why happened to your original console?!

It's back home, and it's NTSC. Didn't bring any of the consoles because of the amount of luggage I had. I thought I could get it shipped and download the games here (switzerland) but that turned out to be much harder than I thought. So now I either wait until October or, as I said, buy a cheap basic Wii U for this and W101.

What's worse is that I've been seeing Pikmin 3 copies all over the place for over a week, but I can't buy it :(.

I don't want to throw money just like that, and they are only video games after all. But I really, really want this game, but you probably know that already. :p

ohlawd

I can't wait for the floodgates to finally be opened

tch I'm not even gonna be in this here thread.

If things go according to plan, I will do NOTHING except play Pikmin 3 on Sunday and Monday. No GAF bs, just straight up Pikmin 3.

That and take a shit but I could just bring the Pad to the toilet.

tch I'm not even gonna be in this here thread.

If things go according to plan, I will do NOTHING except play Pikmin 3 on Sunday and Monday. No GAF bs, just straight up Pikmin 3.

That and take a shit but I could just bring the Pad to the toilet.

And that's why off tv play is fantastic, people.

I hope this thread is often on the first page as America gets the game.

Although I see a ton of glowing comments, I wish the thread was a bit more active as it once again proves(despite what the naysayers say) that Miyamoto still has it and he's still one of a kind.

I'll have to see if that's true for myself tomorrow or in a few days.

Pikmin's not my favorite series of all time but I think it's definitely one of the most interesting and clever.

Randdalf

I can't wait for the floodgates to finally be opened

I'm interested to see how many people will perceive the first few days as hand holding, because I've had some people say that to me. For the record, I didn't think it was hand holdy at all, but some people here get really uppity about tutorials.

zroid

Banned
I'm interested to see how many people will perceive the first few days as hand holding, because I've had some people say that to me. For the record, I didn't think it was hand holdy at all, but some people here get really uppity about tutorials.

I heard some of those complaints and I really don't get it. The only times I didn't feel like I was figuring things out on my own were for the most basic of basic stuff, in the first half hour or so. The things anyone familiar with the series would know already, but someone new might require a brief explanation of because they aren't versed in the "language" of Pikmin. The game doesn't "ruin" anything for you, in that sense.

Then again, I liked Skyward Sword, so I'm probably not the right person to talk to about hand-holding.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I 30-pieced NPC Pikmin 1 out of over-hype today. Five hours, 20 days. Not a great run, I lost like 400 pikmin like an idiot, but just wanted to get the game in my brain before I played 3 tomorrow. Got super-frustrated by a ton of little mechanical things, most of which are all fixed in Pikmin 3, so I'm pretty thrilled about that.

You know how we were all a little bummed about how the Pikmin group doesn't reshuffle when you throw Pikmin? They just remain still and teleport into your leader's hand? I WISH that was how it was in Pikmin 1, the group reshuffling when I threw Pikmin made them fall off narrow platforms all the time. And getting them to cross any sort of bridge was a nightmare. The tighter packing in Pikmin 3 is gonna be a godsend. I can really tell that they just identified a ton of mechanical pain points from the first games and patched them all up. Gonna feel SOLID aw yissss.

zroid

Banned
You know how we were all a little bummed about how the Pikmin group doesn't reshuffle when you throw Pikmin? They just remain still and teleport into your leader's hand? I WISH that was how it was in Pikmin 1, the group reshuffling when I threw Pikmin made them fall off narrow platforms all the time.

Yeah, the teleporting thing has obvious practical value in this game. If they didn't make that allowance, the C-button switching wouldn't work as well. The feature is a godsend.

Oh god..Pikmin 3 will be nagged on this for years..idk if twilight princess style tho. I havent played the damn game yet! Its killin me! lol

Alright lets race and see who will download it the fastest!
Im buying retail :(

not even sure why I am downloading it the last few games I downloaded from eShop I have not even launched them once

just have not been feeling like playing games

only been touching my EVE online account and ACNL

I have no hype for Pikmin 3 hopefully W101 gets me back into playing Wii U

so tonight I try this out with no hype

hatchx

Banned
You guys are crazy skipping that boxart. Granted, it's going to be hard for me to resist knowing others are downloading and playing it tonight.

I can't believe I'll be playing Pikmin 3 tomorrow thought. Jesus. So hyped. All the impressions and reviews are glowing.

not even sure why I am downloading it the last few games I downloaded from eShop I have not even launched them once

just have not been feeling like playing games

only been touching my EVE online account and ACNL

I have no hype for Pikmin 3 hopefully W101 gets me back into playing Wii U

so tonight I try this out with no hype
Same here except ive been playing 3DS I really have no pikmin hype either well except for today. The thought of getting it tomorrow is cray.

ohlawd

Enjoy playing the game earlier than me, you magnificent fucks.

I have a deluxe Wii U and I own 8 games; 7 of those are retail. wtf am I doing...

Is there any news of NA getting a similar type deal like with SMTIV and FEA?

Top Bottom