• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

They're good, aiming at flying enemies can be a pain though. Just remember you can push the R button or something to aim without moving your captain.

Sweet I'm going to get this with my $30 credit from FE and smt. Hope the download doesn't take forever. So far I've only DL SNES games

zroid

Banned
It's kind of weird how the game sometimes switches you between IR and gyro controls. The IR is a bit annoying since it requires you to point at the screen, which I normally don't do with the gyro aim. Suddenly the control seems to break.

Also, it's just really awesome how large these areas are. Even if there's less "game" thanks to the omission of those monstrous caverns, the quality of what's here is so much higher. The game doesn't kid around when it advises you to plan your day using the map before you set out. There's always so much to do.

How are the controls with game pad only? I hate the wii controller with a passion

They're workable. It will have an impact on your ability to work as quickly though.

Wait, I thought all Wii U games required Motion Plus...

They don't. Certain games in nintendo land do (e.g. the zelda game, becaus eit uses the additional motion sensing in the sword positioning) but many things don't, like pikmin or the mario chase/luigi games in nintendo land.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Wait, I thought all Wii U games required Motion Plus...

It's not required but almost all use it since Nintendo is only selling M+ wii remotes now. It's assumed to be available.

I kind of guessed Pikmin 3 can default to an OG wii remote just to try and make sure absolutely everyone can play it with a wii remote, no matter what they've got.

Moze

Banned
how many deaths do you guys have? i am on day 27 with like 500 deaths

i keep getting the pikmin to build a bridge before just forgetting about them

hwy_61

Banned
They don't. Certain games in nintendo land do (e.g. the zelda game, becaus eit uses the additional motion sensing in the sword positioning) but many things don't, like pikmin or the mario chase/luigi games in nintendo land.

Well slap my bottom and call me Sally.

Thanks for the info.

Don't worry we'll have it on Monday if all goes well!

8pHFzW9.gif

fred

So, speaking of motion plus, is there a constant need for reconfiguring the controls like there was on Wii games?

It's always annoyed me that Nintendorefuse to use AILive's LiveMove 2 middleware. Not only does it basically write the code for you when using motion controls (you basically press a button to start, move the remote or nunchuck for the motion you want detected and recognised and it writes the code for it) but for MotionPlus (and not Move which really surprised me) it also recalibrates itself whenever the MotionPlus remote is held still.

That's why you very rarely need to manually recalibrate MotionPlus whilst playing Red Steel 2. Very annoying that Nintendo don't use it.

Thankfully its almost here.

After a horrible month of July, we are finally getting some decent releases.

Still pissed that the U.S. got this late.

Still annoyed that our Canadian friends get such absurd pre-order deals. Bud of mine pre-ordered Pikmin 3 and a dozen or two 60 dollar games for $40 at the E3 sale.

Cbajd5

Well I waited in line in the rain for my copy at Nintendo World. Worth it.
Me too. Free poster and those patches they've been giving out.

Too bad I lost at Bingo Battle... (They were giving either a Pikmin plush or a copy of Pikmin 2 to the winner, for those who weren't there.)

Now to wait until I get back home later tonight.

I did get thirty street passes though, so that's great.

kubus

So I just tried Mission Mode co-op with my boyfriend (who has never touched a Pikmin game before) and we had a blast.

Just wow, after beating the story I thought this game was already one of this gen's finest, but after Mission Mode... I think it has become my favorite game this year. It was... FUN. The amount of cooperation needed to get a Platinum is absurd and makes it so enjoyable. We were constantly talking, discussing our next move. "Did you get that wall yet? Oh crap I need two more blue Pikmin for this strawberry!" "No worries, I'm on the bridge above you. I'll toss two Blues your way! Can you get those bridge pieces too?" "Yep, got them! Once I'm done here I'll throw my Pikmins over the ledge so you can use them for those fruits!" "Sweet, thanks!" Etc etc. And then getting a Platinum after all that teamwork.. So much feels.

This is why I love Nintendo games. Only Nintendo can do this stuff to me. Thank you Ninty for making Pikmin 3 <'3

Tokieda

I've just come home from 3 weeks of travelling in Spain.
The first thing I did was to turn on the WiiU. 26 minutes remaining for my download.
This is the biggest gaming moment for me in years.

All your Miiverse screenshots have gotten me even more hyped.
I can't wait to jump back in. Just had to share ;)

Beelzebub

I really wanted to say fuck it and get the physical box but I should save my money and use my $30 credit..I am getting that nice club nintendo poster anyway!

Defect

Me too. Free poster and those patches they've been giving out.

Too bad I lost at Bingo Battle... (They were giving either a Pikmin plush or a copy of Pikmin 2 to the winner, for those who weren't there.)

Now to wait until I get back home later tonight.

I did get thirty street passes though, so that's great.

I saw the line for it but decided to just go home to play :D

I'm having a mindfuck right now. I'll be playing this game tomorrow after how many goddamn years of waiting, delays, Miyamoto teasing, and more damn delays.

3 years of Animal Crossing waiting ain't nothin' compared to this.

It better not suck.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So I just tried Mission Mode co-op with my boyfriend (who has never touched a Pikmin game before) and we had a blast.

Just wow, after beating the story I thought this game was already one of this gen's finest, but after Mission Mode... I think it has become my favorite game this year. It was... FUN. The amount of cooperation needed to get a Platinum is absurd and makes it so enjoyable. We were constantly talking, discussing our next move. "Did you get that wall yet? Oh crap I need two more blue Pikmin for this strawberry!" "No worries, I'm on the bridge above you. I'll toss two Blues your way! Can you get those bridge pieces too?" "Yep, got them! Once I'm done here I'll throw my Pikmins over the ledge so you can use them for those fruits!" "Sweet, thanks!" Etc etc. And then getting a Platinum after all that teamwork.. So much feels.

This is why I love Nintendo games. Only Nintendo can do this stuff to me. Thank you Ninty for making Pikmin 3 <'3

Yeah, I play the mission mode together with my girlfriend and we are having a blast. We just got our first platinum medal and the game was crazy. And both players must be perfectly synchronized. And the feelings you have at the end of that platinum mission is unbelievable. Now we have to get all the platinum medals.

zroid

Banned
I almost feel like the
fruit radar
is cheating. :p

But I was really shocked when I got it. The areas seem big to begin with but their scope exceeded even my first impressions.

Frodo

How long did it take you guys to download it?

I don't think it took more than an hour here, if that... But I don't know for sure. I clicked the download, had dinner, browsed GAF a little bit and when I went back to check it was already installing.

But all my downloads have always been fast on the Wii U, even when everyone is complaining they are slow. Maybe some folks might have experienced slower speeds...

CrisKre

I'm having a mindfuck right now. I'll be playing this game tomorrow after how many goddamn years of waiting, delays, Miyamoto teasing, and more damn delays.

It better not suck.
Trust me. It's glorious.

kubus

Yeah, I play the mission mode together with my girlfriend and we are having in blast. We just got our first platinum medal and the game was crazy. And both players must be perfectly synchronized. And the feelings you have at the end of that platinum mission is unbelievable. Now we have to get all the platinum medals.
Exactly! <3

And yeah after getting the first Platinum we just looked at each other and knew we both wanted to get all the Platinums :D. It's so much fun!

can someone help me?
how can I reach that star? is the last missing fruit...

https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzREy6j0F4UUyHY
If I remembr correctly...

You should look for water nearby. There should be an underwater passage somewhere.

Ein Bear

How are the controls with game pad only? I hate the wii controller with a passion

They're fine. I beat the whole game, and got Platinum medals on everything in Mission Mode, and I only ever played with the GamePad. It never even occured to me that the Wiimote might be an option until half way through the game, by which point I was just "Eh, fuck it."

It better not suck.

It's honestly the best thing Nintendo have made in years. It's Super Mario Galaxy-tier.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
So my Best Buy order shipping on Wednesday so I had a glimmering hope that it would arrive on Saturday. Whelp, that is not the case because it is not even scheduled to arrive on Monday. Make it Thursday the 8th. Release Date Delivery? No wonder I stick with Amazon 99% of the time.

Shahadan

That's high praise. Is this a common sentiment? SMG is one of my favorite games.

Apple and oranges but I think it has the same" feels so good" effect. Everything is just perfect.

On another topic, has any of the illegitimate EU pricks got their Premium Points yet? They said to wait for 3-6 days but it still hasn't showed up.

Cbajd5

I saw the line for it but decided to just go home to play :D
Yeah, I was near the end of the part of the line where there'd still be prizes to win and it took around two hours.

I just went back again and they still had the Pikmin 3 demo stations open though, and they weren't crowded now. And people cold try single player or multi player now it seemed.

Top Bottom