• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

I don't know why I always get upset at the slow download speeds on this console. I should be used to them by now. I guess I'll be playing this tomorrow.

Finally able to post on GAF.....awesome.

Pikmin and Pikmin 2 are two of my all-time favorite games. I bought a Wii U for Pikmin 3. I can't believe I FINALLY get to play this today. Soooo excited.

Based on this thread and reviews, seems like the long wait will be worth it!

Yuripaw

Banned
JTGmsMp.jpg

Trip to Wal-Mart paid off ^_^ had to nag the guys working there who of course had no idea what game I was talking about, but they had it in back.

hwy_61

Banned
Well that's weird. The total is coming out to $63.74. The sales tax in my town is 9%, but its only charging me 6.25%.

I don't get it. I live in Illinois if anyone csan explain it to me!

Well that's weird. The total is coming out to $63.74. The sales tax in my town is 9%, but its only charging me 6.25%.

They're probably only charging the state sales tax and not adding the municipality sales tax on top.

Thoraxes

Damn, that's lucky. I usually still ring up 9.25% even on games still (south burbs, IL)

Amir0x

Banned
For those who have played it, is there any good humour in here that can even remotely adequately replace the astoundingly brilliant stuff that was in Pikmin 2's interpretation of "real world objects"? The type of item focus in this game really bums me out from what I've read...

hwy_61

Banned
Ahhh damn it, I can't make up my mind on whether or not I should buy it on the eshop. If I buy it at retail, I can always trade it in towards a future game. If I buy it on the eshop, its way more convenient, and I get the digital promo rebate.

DECISIONS...

Jaruru

played the story mode last night, very good setup. just got the winged one :)

spent time on mission mode today. some are quite challenging (to get platinum score)
DLC are very welcome I would say. more MISSIONS, STAGES (for bingo?)

or even new mode. or online.

Defect

I do wish there was more content or things to do in the singleplayer. A few caves ala Pikmin 2 would've been good. Add purples and whites only in caves like bulbmin. Get some treasures along with fruit.

For those who have played it, is there any good humour in here that can even remotely adequately replace the astoundingly brilliant stuff that was in Pikmin 2's interpretation of "real world objects"? The type of item focus in this game really bums me out from what I've read...
From a few screens people have posted in here it seems all the different fruits are given funny names and funny descriptions that are similar to the item descriptions in 2.

Eusis

I would go by the rating this game got (ESRB)

E 10+

would have some nightmares at 5 with monsters eating my pikmins
Technically E's only for 6+, but eC seems to exist mainly as the edutainment rating anyway, more Reader Rabbit and less Mario.

Still, uhh, I'd look at what else they're watching/playing, I think it'd probably be fine for SOME 5 year olds, but I would feel a little more cautious. I'd think stuff like Dumbo's LSD-esque scene could be just as nightmarish though, albeit not quite in the same way.

CrisKre

Yes ami. The writing is hilarious and I appreciate that it seems to work better than pikmin 2 at developing the characters. You won't be disappointed I think.

Technically E's only for 6+, but eC seems to exist mainly as the edutainment rating anyway, more Reader Rabbit and less Mario.

Still, uhh, I'd look at what else they're watching/playing, I think it'd probably be fine for SOME 5 year olds, but I would feel a little more cautious. I'd think stuff like Dumbo's LSD-esque scene could be just as nightmarish though, albeit not quite in the same way.

I was just pointing out the official ESRB for Pikmin 3 is E 10+

you can see the number 10 and a plus on the E

sometimes you have E without a number so that means 6 years and up I guess but for this game they recommend 10 and up

it does depend on the child I was very sensitive to many things as a kid and I still hate horror movies and games Pikmin can get a little dark - just thinking about it from a 5 year olds brain how to you see it? Is it cute or a really scary world when those glow in the dark big eyes monsters start to come closer?

oatmeal

Banned
Ummm...why is my GamePad sensor bar not working?

I'm unable to play right now with the Wiimote + nunchuck...wtf?

I thought:

1. You didn't need the sensor bar
2. The GamePad had one built in

???

RE_Player

I've had the game since Friday. I like it a lot but I like Pikmin 2 way more. Collecting fruit is so boring compared to random everyday items as treasure. Haven't tried mission or bingo mode yet.

did not pick up Pikmin 2 it came out at a strange point in my life where I had other issues to deal with like finding a place to live

but I was never in love with the first game there are many Gamecube and Wii titles I missed hopefully after I get some sleep I'll enjoy this

MarkusRJR

So pumped to pick this up tomorrow! Looks to be super fun.

And to the post above mine you should really pick up Pikmin 2. I'd only give Pikmin 1 a 7.5 while I'd give Pikmin 2 an 8.5. Apparently Pikmin 3 is between the two in terms of quality according to some Japanese impressions I read.

Jackano

Ummm...why is my GamePad sensor bar not working?

I'm unable to play right now with the Wiimote + nunchuck...wtf?

I thought:

1. You didn't need the sensor bar
2. The GamePad had one built in

???

You can play off-TV with the gamepad only (and its sensor bar) with the wiimote controls; But if you play on TV, you need the Wii sensor bar on your TV because... that's how it works, the captors needs to be just ahead your screen!

oatmeal

Banned
You can play off-TV with the gamepad only (and its sensor bar) with the wiimote controls; But if you play on TV, you need the Wii sensor bar on your TV because... that's how it works, the captors needs to be just ahead your screen!

The fuck? That ruins everything...

Fuck...I have a projector set up and can't run a sensor bar. I have a shitty Monoprice wireless one but it's practically useless.

I thought it didn't even use the sensor bar, but used Skyward Swords gyro controls...this is a big disappointment from the outset.

On the flipside, the graphics look tremendous.

So I accidentally canceled the SpotPass functionality prompt when my finger slipped as I picked up the Wiimote. How do I enable it again?

edit: what is with Nintendo's aversion to Options menus? I ended up having to delete my save to enable SpotPass.

The fuck? That ruins everything...

Fuck...I have a projector set up and can't run a sensor bar. I have a shitty Monoprice wireless one but it's practically useless.

I thought it didn't even use the sensor bar, but used Skyward Swords gyro controls...this is a big disappointment from the outset.

On the flipside, the graphics look tremendous.

I thought this shit was simple like it would work with even two candles so how did Monoprice mess up so badly?

Eusis

I was just pointing out the official ESRB for Pikmin 3 is E 10+

you can see the number 10 and a plus on the E

sometimes you have E without a number so that means 6 years and up I guess but for this game they recommend 10 and up

it does depend on the child I was very sensitive to many things as a kid and I still hate horror movies and games Pikmin can get a little dark - just thinking about it from a 5 year olds brain how to you see it? Is it cute or a really scary world when those glow in the dark big eyes monsters start to come closer?
Err, I brought up the E thing because if you're following that exactly it basically means nothing's suitable for a 5 year old outside of eC games.

And that's why I brought up what they watch, if they enjoy some movies with darker edges to them or at least can handle them then it seems to be an option, there's lots of creepy stuff in children's entertainment when you stop to really think about it, though a lot of that's more for something like 7 and up to me. And I'd need to check the ESRB, knowing them maybe some of the fruit descriptions set them off more than the death scenes.

EDIT: No entry on their site yet, figures. Well, Pikmin 1 & 2 only got E, and though standards probably tightened they also did re-release them on Wii, they're lumped together though as GC/Wii so it's possible they just kind of glossed past it, especially since Pikmin 2 Wii's SUPPOSED to have come after they introduced summaries.

CoolS

This game is really gorgeous.
It really, really is. Nintendo are masters at art direction and lightning.

Screens, especially the early ones Nintendo released, do not do it justice. Even online videos are nowhere as good as the real thing. The first time i played the game on my own TV i was blown away by how good it looks. Everything looks so nice and the DoF is fucking fantastic.
Can't wait to see what Nintendo will do on the WiiU in a year or two.

Top Bottom