• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

RomanceDawn

Took 45 minutes to download, is that good or bad?

Played for a few hours and I am extremely impressed with the graphics.

I'm on day 4 and this kind of tutorial(if you can all it that) needs to be utilized in Zelda. Maybe I'm not past it yet, but I hardly feel the heavy hand holding of other Nintendo games.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If not for The Last of Us, this would be my game of the year. It achieves the same kind of perfection in its genre, effortlessly leaving the impression to be essential, a rare gem.

Eusis

I'm on day 4 and this kind of tutorial(if you can all it that) needs to be utilized in Zelda. Maybe I'm not past it yet, but I hardly feel the heavy hand holding of other Nintendo games.
It's definitely there, but it's not quite as absolutely crushing and we're talking about a game that IS less innately intuitive than most Nintendo efforts. Plus it seems focused more on telling you how controls work, there's definitely a lot of stuff you just have to figure out for yourself.

Man, I probably would've waited had it not been for the FExSMTIV credit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For those who have played it, is there any good humour in here that can even remotely adequately replace the astoundingly brilliant stuff that was in Pikmin 2's interpretation of "real world objects"? The type of item focus in this game really bums me out from what I've read...

I quite liked the 'lesser mock bottom' which I think was a plum. I haven't found a 'greater mock bottom' yet but I'm guessing peach?

But no, not really on the level of pikmin 2. The dialogue between the characters is the main source of humour and is funny, but I do miss the object descriptions.

I;m jealous of you guys. I wont be playing until sometime next week as I decided to get the game for $10 off through Amazon's Lego Marvel mistake.

I really just wanted a few extra days to continue and hopefully finish a couple of other games I'd been working on before I abandon them in favor of this game (I'm horrible about picking up where I left off on games after too much time has passed). If I had the copy on me tomorrow the temptation would be too much.

I've waited this long, what's a few more days-a week?

D:

No clue.

Works great from 1 feet...any further than that and it's janky. So I have it about 1 1/2 feet in front of me...working...okay.

What kind of batteries it uses? If you use rechargeable batteries they may give lower voltage and it may affect the performance. And not totally fresh alkaline batteries may also be worse than regular batteries...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Missions are tough.

I can't imagine getting platinum on my own. You'd need to be a demon at setting waypoints for characters and switching between them. As a two player challenge they are fantastic though and require really tight communication between you.

The fuck? That ruins everything...

Fuck...I have a projector set up and can't run a sensor bar. I have a shitty Monoprice wireless one but it's practically useless.

I thought it didn't even use the sensor bar, but used Skyward Swords gyro controls...this is a big disappointment from the outset.

On the flipside, the graphics look tremendous.

Have you tried running the normal wired sensor bar but not under the projector screen, just put it in front of you somewhere in line of sight? If it is motionplus it might only need the sensor bar for 'straight ahead' on the fly calibration. Worth a try at least.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Took 2 hours to download and install, and then I played for another two hours. It's fantastic so far. Only problem is I can't find one damn nunchuck, despite owning about 6 of them.

Playing with the gamepad isn't so bad, but I'd definitely prefer the precision of a wiimote.

Took 2 hours to download and install, and then I played for another two hours. It's fantastic so far. Only problem is I can't find one damn nunchuck, despite owning about 6 of them.

Playing with the gamepad isn't so bad, but I'd definitely prefer the precision of a wiimote.

how do you lose 6 chucks o_O

oatmeal

Banned
What kind of batteries it uses? If you use rechargeable batteries they may give lower voltage and it may affect the performance. And not totally fresh alkaline batteries may also be worse than regular batteries...

AAA.

Not rechargable. It's fine, I'll just keep it close.

Have you tried running the normal wired sensor bar but not under the projector screen, just put it in front of you somewhere in line of sight? If it is motionplus it might only need the sensor bar for 'straight ahead' on the fly calibration. Worth a try at least.

Wouldn't work, can't plug it into the Wii. The cable isn't near long enough. The systems are on a shelf way back and behind me.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
how do you lose 6 chucks o_O
I have no idea, but I think its because I've been in and out of the hospital for the better part of a year, and I'm guessing they're all in some unpacked box somewhere. That being said, I couldn't find them anywhere after searching for a half hour. :/

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
For those who have played it, is there any good humour in here that can even remotely adequately replace the astoundingly brilliant stuff that was in Pikmin 2's interpretation of "real world objects"? The type of item focus in this game really bums me out from what I've read...

The description of the fruits and the dialogues are funny. When you start a new day be sure to "listen" to the talk (Y) before going to land somewhere. That's quite funny sometime.

No clue.

Works great from 1 feet...any further than that and it's janky. So I have it about 1 1/2 feet in front of me...working...okay.

I have a remote sensor and the working distance is getting lower as the batteries run out. Maybe try some new batteries. Or try to set the sensitivity of the sensor in the Wii U options.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
100% done in the story mode. it doesn't happen often to me to desrire to complete entirely a game.
16.30 hours of pure poetry and gameplay goodness.
great game, simply great.

Dmax3901

So it's been out for over a week now in Australia. To avoid paying $75 I bought in from the UK (ozgameshop) for 50 bucks with free shipping. The downside?

It's still not here :(

linko9

Just bought it and played for a few hours. Feels good so far, but I really miss some stuff from the older games; swarming is I think an essential mechanic in Pikmin, and the game feels incomplete without it. It takes much longer to do simple stuff, and I can't stand having to mash the A button as fast as possible. I really don't like how the pikmin return to where the bridge-piece pile was even when there are no pieces left, and how, unlike in the first 2 games, pikmin do not rejoin your group when they are near you and they finish a task. It's like the game is doing everything in its power to make sure you lose track of as many pikmin as possible. I also find myself losing my cursor sometimes, generally in the heat of battle. Pathfinding for pikmin who are following you seems to be much better, but still not amazing; they do get stuck from time to time. So far it's enjoyable, but I'm a bit disappointed. Hopefully it's just a slow start. I am really thinking of switching to gamepad control though. As a left-hander, I've never been especially great at controlling the cursor with my right hand, and my brain will not accept holding the controller parts in the opposite hands.

Just bought it and played for a few hours. Feels good so far, but I really miss some stuff from the older games; swarming is I think an essential mechanic in Pikmin, and the game feels incomplete without it.

Lock on + shake the nunchuck (Or press B if you're using the gamepad) to have all your pikmin swarm a target.

kubus

The only bad thing about this game is that it makes me want to drink each of those jucies but that would be quite a lot.
I'll be the first to admit I went to the grocery store the day I played Pikmin 3 and bought strawberries and grapes.

Subaru

DOWNLOADING!

I once dreamed of being the first Brazilian guy to buy the game.

Beaten, me and a friend of mine was waiting 1:00 to download as quick as possible. He (in his house) and me already played about 2 hours each!

But go for it, Pikmin 3 is such a DELIGHT!

Soren01

Beaten, me and a friend of mine was waiting 1:00 to download as quick as possible. He (in his house) and me already played about 2 hours each!

But go for it, Pikmin 3 is such a DELIGHT!

jbtWuYfnZDByEr.jpg

:'-)

Got all the the fruits and the
"secret memos"
, then beat the game in just under 20 hours. Great game. Will try the side modes soon.

The only bad thing about this game is that it makes me want to drink each of those jucies but that would be quite a lot.

Seriously. The day after I started playing this, I went out and bought plenty of fruits and juices. That was just too tempting, seeing these delicious looking fruits.

I'll be the first to admit I went to the grocery store the day I played Pikmin 3 and bought strawberries and grapes.

Ha, see ?

jmls1121

Banned
3 hours in. AMAZING game. It is definitely the most polished HD game I have ever played, which is pretty amazing for Nintendo's first foray into HD gaming on a large scale.

kubus

Reposting for new page + lots of new players coming to the thread :)

EeqVQYZ.png

OT: Can't wait till work is over so I can go back to playing Mission Mode in co-op... Shit that stuff is addictive.

Top Bottom