• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

robotrock

Banned
Hi! I'm considering picking this up today, but I don't own a Motion Plus controller. Is it still an enjoyable experience with the gamepad?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This question might have been asked to death, but what if i'm a pikmin newbie (never played 1 or 2), Is 3 going to be easy to jump in and understand?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Hi! I'm considering picking this up today, but I don't own a Motion Plus controller. Is it still an enjoyable experience with the gamepad?

It works well enough IMO after you get used to it. However if you have a regular wii remote, it does support those as well evidently.

Well that was fun. Was watching my friend stream the early goings of the game and he just ragequit on the first boss. I'm honestly not sure if he's ever going to pick the game back up again. The reason: lack of swarming, because he got annoyed about having to throw pikmin to get them to do things, and because he believes that if he could swarm, he could get his pikmin to dodge out of the way of the boss' primary attack.

Personally I just think he's being kind of a baby, but has this been a serious problem for others starting up the game? I know you get the dodge and charge moves eventually, but how long do you have to go to reach that point?

I lost a ton of Pikmin on the first boss too. But I also went in with 70+ Pikmin following my captain. Thinking about it,
I probably should have just brought about 10 (5 rock, 5 reds) and worn its defenses down slowly while keeping all my Pikmin alive... Keeping all 70 away from its charge attack just seems impossible.

zroid

Banned
This question might have been asked to death, but what if i'm a pikmin newbie (never played 1 or 2), Is 3 going to be easy to jump in and understand?

This one definitely has more to it than the previous Pikmin games, but I don't see why it shouldn't be accessible for newcomers. I think it does a good job of introducing the mechanics to you as they become necessary, via the data chips. The hints aren't invasive at all, either. I think you'll be fine!

Kinsei

Banned
Personally I just think he's being kind of a baby, but has this been a serious problem for others starting up the game? I know you get the dodge and charge moves eventually, but how long do you have to go to reach that point?

I haven't had any problems with the lack of a swarm. For me the hardest part of the boss was noticing when my Pikmin ran off to attack the mushrooms.

You have the charge from the beginning of the game but I haven't gotten the dodge yet.

I do have a regular wii remote actually. Would that be a better option than using the gamepad?

I recommend you use both. While using the wii remote have the gamepad nearby and use it to access the map and the go here function.

NeoRausch

Well that was fun. Was watching my friend stream the early goings of the game and he just ragequit on the first boss. I'm honestly not sure if he's ever going to pick the game back up again. The reason: lack of swarming, because he got annoyed about having to throw pikmin to get them to do things, and because he believes that if he could swarm, he could get his pikmin to dodge out of the way of the boss' primary attack.

when my memory serves me right you don't have to unlock the charge move.

the dodge move you'll get pretty early in the game.

I think I made it to third boss before learning the lock and rush move... Learning it sooner would have made the beginnung quite a bit easier, I lost quite a lot of pikmins in boss fights.

Anth0ny

I'm a few hours in, just killed the first boss, and that bastard killed my pikmin ; _ ;

Initial impressions:

-opening tutorial was unnecessary, but not as bad as some of the other openings in recent Nintendo games. Was finished relatively quickly, and the game is now moving at a fine pace.

-the art is fantastic, as expected for a pikmin game, but I honestly think the game is not very pretty, especially on a big screen tv. It is clearly a Wii game in 720p. Jaggies fucking everywhere!!! Such a shame. This is a game that needs to be in 1080p to truly appreciate.

- some of the camera angles really suck. Entering and exiting an area on the map, for whatever reason, will sometimes take away your ability to control the camera. I actually lost some pikmin at the end of a day because of this. This was never a problem in the previous pikmin titles. I've never lost a pikmin at the end of a day!

Other than that, it's fucking Pikmin and I'm having a great time with it. I'm playing a great game on my Wii U. Feels good man.

RomanceDawn

I'm on the first real stage in the snow and I've replayed it 4 times already trying to manage everything and get at least a 2nd fruit. Holy crap this is tough for me, I played the first two but I never got nearly as engrossed as I am with this one.

stuminus3

So this was quickly becoming my GOTY. Then I discovered the camera lock on/charge move. Now it's my game of the forever. I'm so happy to be playing a new Pikmin after all this time.

I like that you can go all out and play it in full Wiimote/nunchuck/gamepad/TV mode (and have the benefits of each device) or you can just straight up play off-TV on the pad. Choice is a fine thing.

Jagglies would have nothing to do with it looking like a Wii Game, if anything a more involved game would look worse at 720P and without proper AA(Ie, The Last of Us) because there are more surfaces and the like and it stands out among all the great textures and lighting effects. Or was it a separate point saying it looks like a wii game in general?

CoolS

I lost like 2 of my 100 pikmin on that boss. Just lock on and you will see his attack from a mile away. And if he's down have all your Pikmin swarm him, you can to that at that point already.

klier

-the art is fantastic, as expected for a pikmin game, but I honestly think the game is not very pretty, especially on a big screen tv. It is clearly a Wii game in 720p. Jaggies fucking everywhere!!! Such a shame. This is a game that needs to be in 1080p to truly appreciate.

Clearly? It looks better than anything on PS360. You're hard to please :)

zroid

Banned
So this was quickly becoming my GOTY. Then I discovered the camera lock on/charge move. Now it's my game of the forever. I'm so happy to be playing a new Pikmin after all this time.

Exactly! Charge is godlike.

As I said a few pages ago:

the Charge!!! mechanic is seriously satisfying

Just look at this craziness
zlCfzRExXxoZxdfExS

Defect

I have no complaints for the Gamepad. Played through the whole game with it. The aiming was hard to get the hang of since it's so sensitive and goes pretty far but it's awesome.

Anyway this game was worth the 9 year wait.

10/10 GOTY

Megatron

I saw Dax's comment about the system update, but that's just because he just bought his WiiU, right? There's no day 1 patch to play Pikmin 3?

CoolS

I saw Dax's comment about the system update, but that's just because he just bought his WiiU, right? There's no day 1 patch to play Pikmin 3?
There is a day 1 patch, though it only is for the miiverse functionality apparently. You can play while it downloads

To me, Pikmin 2 was one of EAD's greatest titles ever. After a couple hours with this new one I can already say if it stays the course it will be right up there with it! The design of this game is just so incredibly solid. Kind of like Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, it feels like a lesson in game design for the rest of the industry. I love it!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wii game in 720p? Wii game in 720p...

I must have a different game/TV/pair of eyes. The shaders in this game offer some outstanding moments.

Akey

Banned
That moment you are not paying attention and 60 pikmin drown. Loving the game so far some nice changes to the game and I think it looks great.

Seth

The jaggies aren't nearly as bad as I was expecting to be honest. Though nintendo has never seemed to see any importance in AA. Jaggies are one of my biggest annoyances in games, no matter how well done the art style is jaggies just kill all the visuals for me.

The jaggies aren't nearly as bad as I was expecting to be honest. Though nintendo has never seemed to see any importance in AA. Jaggies are one of my biggest annoyances in games, no matter how well done the art style is jaggies just kill all the visuals for me.

Sorry for the off topic, but is AA such a demanding feature?

Subaru

I've been playing and for me it's very clear that Pikmin 3 is 30 fps. But I have an annoying friend that can't accept that Pikmin 3 isn't 60 fps. Is there any official information (from any Nintendo rep) that says that Pikmin 3 is 30 fps? ;-)

I want this game so bad but I only have a little money right now and won't have any income until September. I have the money to buy one game right now and I am so torn. I want this game, but I also want SMTIV because of the $30 money back deal, plus I've always wanted to try that series.

I've been playing and for me it's very clear that Pikmin 3 is 30 fps. But I have an annoying friend that can't accept that Pikmin 3 isn't 60 fps. Is there any official information (from any Nintendo rep) that says that Pikmin 3 is 30 fps? ;-)

It's 30fps. It's just got nice pp.

Kingven

Amazing game... Much better than expected.... the only thing i would like, as an extra, its a online battlefield mode, with up to 1000 Pikmin... and four players...

Day 11 here we go...

Anyone else having trouble with the Secret memos? I just found a video that shows all of them, but what do they do?

http://youtu.be/Sp53Hy4Rg1E

they will unlock the second quest with olimar, louie and the president
once enough people have finished the game and start asking why it wasn't unlocked already....

end game spoiler
I'm almost certain that the president goes to help but crashes into pnf404 right at the end of the credits.

I love Pikmin, I love Pikmin 3, it's a lovely game.

Whilst playing I often go between liking the time limit and hating it. I sometimes feel that I wish I had more time to explore, and I don't always feel there is enough time to do things in the level. But sitting back, planning it and making efficient use of both time and the multi-character setup usually gives you more than enough time to do a decent amout of things. Allowing you to restart the day allows for great experimentation.

But really, this should of had co-op, it's even got three independently controllable characters! Would of been an amazing co-op game.

Doing the update now update is almost done.

Holy fuck I'm hype

It's been 9 years since the last one, really, REALLY can't wait to start this up.

Subaru

It's 30fps. It's just got nice pp.

What is PP?

I know that is 30fps, but google is INFESTED with sites saiying that Pikmin 3 is 60 fps, and I wanna a reliable source to "prove it"

I know that this is silly, but he's a fucking stupid fanboy and I love to make him swallow his words.

Post Processing.

As for a definitive source... I make games for a living and have done for nearly 15 years. Dont know if that helps you at all :D I have the eyes for it, it's 100% 30fps :) There were reports when it was first show that it ran at 60 (by Eurogamer iirc) but they were quickly debunked.

Digital Foundry will probably do a performance review soon.

Tokieda

Random impressions:

1) I love the Rock Pikmin. When I first saw them in videos I thought they would be overpowered, but they're really balanced and using them to crack crystal walls feels great.
2) I never played NPC Pikmin, so this is my first time using the Wii Remote to play Pikmin. Pretty much the best use of the Wii Remote ever. It is so natural, there is no learning curve at all and it all works so fast and efficiently. I also thought using the gamepad in tandem with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk would feel weird, and it does take a little while to get used to, but now I often check the map and use the "Go here!"-function (so the only thing you actually do is to tap and drag the screen, but still).
3) I can't tell if the game is a bit too easy or I'm just good at it because I played the first two so much. I only lost 1 Pikmin at the first boss fight, and 3 in the second. The puzzles can be a little challenging, but most of the challenge comes from properly using the time, and deciding how many Pikmin to use for certain tasks, etc. Occasionally I make a mistake though
(that stone-spitting thing at the top of the hill in Tropical Wilds killed 25 of my Pikmin, and I accidently had my flying Pikmin close the gate in Twilight River whilst 20-30 of the others were locked inside with the orange bulborbs - it was a bloodbath)
and I feel so sad for the little things.
4) The game is cerebral in its own way. I try to play as effectively as possible but sometimes I simply cannot keep up with my own multitasking, and especially at the end of the day things can get extremely hectic when trying to gather the last Pikmin. It is so satisfying when you get it right though.
5) Aside for ground textures and low-poly rocks here and there, I am overwhelmed by the graphics. Such a pretty game.
6) The new characters are quite charming, and occasionally funny.
7) Challenge mode is great, I'm looking forward to co-op
but only 5 maps?
8) It has been worth the wait.

Top Bottom