• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

I have 2 wii motes with motion + and a gamepad.

What are my options for controls here? Can I play 2 players? Or will I have to get a nunchuck?!

Can't freaking wait.

Your going to be absolutely blown by DKCR.

I hope so! Gotta prepare for Tropical Freeze. Never played a DKC game before.

I'm with Alph at the moment. The game is really pretty. I've also decided to go with the Wiimote + nunchuk + Gamepad approach. The thumbstick is a little too sensitive for my tastes. Wish there was a way I could adjust it, but the Wiimote works absolutely flawlessly. It's so intuitive and, for me, really makes you feel like you have so much more control than with the Gamepad.

Jachaos

So I accidentally canceled the SpotPass functionality prompt when my finger slipped as I picked up the Wiimote. How do I enable it again?

edit: what is with Nintendo's aversion to Options menus? I ended up having to delete my save to enable SpotPass.

Is there no other way ? This just happened to me too, but I didn't get asked that last night, so while I'm only on Day 2, I thought there'd be an easier way.

oatmeal

Banned
Here's my haul for the day. :D

nbV21ld.jpg

Got DKCR coming in the mail for me too.

That's the best the Wii U has to offer.

Damn, that shake to dismiss happened to me last minute. Lost a few Pikmin. Did anyone else notice this on the box?

ihwWfYkSSktLe.jpg

I'm on day 15 and played today until my gamepad died. Time for a break I guess!

Jachaos

Yup, you've got the best of it all. I really love Lego City Undercover's sense of humour, MH3U and NSMB U and Scribblenauts Unlimited's really funny local multi (to me) can be in the conversation, but those 3 are the biggest games to me in terms of being impressive. They're like nothing we've ever seen. They all innovate.

Reading the last two pages shot my hype meter through the roof. My heart is pounding, and I can feel the hum of a Nintendo game inside my veins.

Soon.

zroid

Banned
I'm with Alph at the moment. The game is really pretty. I've also decided to go with the Wiimote + nunchuk + Gamepad approach. The thumbstick is a little too sensitive for my tastes. Wish there was a way I could adjust it, but the Wiimote works absolutely flawlessly. It's so intuitive and, for me, really makes you feel like you have so much more control than with the Gamepad.

I think, once you manage to find a place to dock the GamePad within comfortable view and reach, it's definitely the most satisfying scheme. Took me about 30 minutes to an hour of fiddling with having it on the stand beside me, or on my lap, etc., but now that I'm used to it, everything's super smooth.

Also: Shaggy Long Legs is a pushover :D

oatmeal

Banned
Reading the last two pages shot my hype meter through the roof. My heart is pounding, and I can feel the hum of a Nintendo game inside my veins.

Soon.

As much of a Nintendo fan I am, I'm pretty jaded with their last 3-4 years of releases...but I'm so incredibly impressed with the polish of this game (that P word keeps coming up for a reason).

This is me coming almost directly from The Last Of Us.

As much of a Nintendo fan I am, I'm pretty jaded with their last 3-4 years of releases...but I'm so incredibly impressed with the polish of this game (that P word keeps coming up for a reason).

This is me coming almost directly from The Last Of Us.

Same. The game is a real stunner.

GulAtiCa

Just started playing this, as well as first time playing a Pikmin game. Really fun so far! Highly impressed with the game, as well as it's visuals.

Eusis

Where did you get the gold nunchuck from?
Probably club Nintendo. It was a VERY limited offer and if you didn't get it you'd have to hope they re-reintroduce it or you can grab it off of eBay. Or hell, maybe some fool traded theirs in into GameStop.

EDIT: On a related note I just saw that Japan had full proper nunchuk packaging for theirs. I guess it's not really a big deal, but it's really a shame how often things are cheapened over here.

Despite downloading it early this morning, I just finally got to play an hour or so (was going on to the last dungeon of Shantae and wanted to clear that game before starting this one).

Absolutely loving it so far. I only just got past day two, and I'm already thinking of replaying that day. Not really any major spoilers, but but tagging it just in case.
A bunch of rock Pikmin were helping carry out the flying monster back to the red onion, and with only a little time left in they day, I couldn't remember if they would be saved if they weren't with their corresponding color onion. So I hauled it back to the red onion, gathered the Rock Pikmin and started racing back to the rock onion in the cave. I lost about half my group as they tried to race into the safety circle as the time hit 0. I also want to try and save Brittany if the game allows it on the same day, so I'll give it another shot.

The world really does look beautiful most of the time, and it feels great to be playing a Pikmin game again after so long.

Also, can never forget the Chris Remo question at the roundtable back in 08:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327377

llamarawk

So I'm absolutely loving everything about this game so far. Only played first 5 days in single player and about to head to my buddy's for some coop/multiplayer. Any impressions on the multiplayer? Should I start with any mode or are they all good?

loving the game so far. i was breezing along until i got to the first boss and i couldn't beat him before the day ran out. i guess that's my only complaint so far.... i didn't beat him and the day runs out and then i'm magically back at the ship!

the graphics are pretty sweet and the controls are fine with the wiiU pad.... for me anyways!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
First Pikmin game, still getting used to the controls and the gameplay, but damn..this is polished and beautiful.

Also having fun with co-op challenge mode with the wife.

Played up to Day 3. Gonna take my sweet time with this game.

Loved the opening cinematic – the presentation in this game is most excellent. As I said earlier, this game is incredibly pretty. I know there's been a lot of talk about how the Wii U isn't "true" next-gen because of the not-so-great leap in graphics from the 360/PS3, but on the graphics side, judging by this game, I don't think there's anything "last gen" about it. This is a game that had its origins on the Wii, and it's an early first-party game on a new machine. It still looks gorgeous. I'm very eager to see what a first-party Nintendo game will look like down the line. The music, from what I've heard, is sublime.

I'm a bit clumsy with the controls as I keep mixing up the camera button and the button that allows you to select different pikmin to throw, but I'll get a hang of it all. I'm also a little clumsy with switching between captains and doing different things at different times, but as with the controls, that's on me. I'll be a pro soon enough because I love multitasking in this game: it makes you feel really accomplished getting a lot of things done at once. I got the rock pikmin, and those little guys are just fantastic to throw and play around with. The game is gradually opening up and as it does I love it more and more. Kind of getting a bit overwhelmed in the process. I'll play more tonight!

Does this game support 5.1? I changed the audio settings on my Wii U to surround, but I'm only hearing noise coming out of my front two speakers.

Eusis

Loved the opening cinematic – the presentation in this game is most excellent. As I said earlier, this game is incredibly pretty. I know there's been a lot of talk about how the Wii U isn't "true" next-gen because of the not-so-great leap in graphics from the 360/PS3, but on the graphics side, judging by this game, I don't think there's anything "last gen" about it. This is a game that had its origins on the Wii, and it's an early first-party game on a new machine. It still looks gorgeous. I'm very eager to see what a first-party Nintendo game will look like down the line. The music, from what I've heard, is sublime.
I think to a degree Nintendo's just damn good at working with what they have. Even with far superior tech on the other consoles many Wii games still looked fantastic, and the same should be continuing here with the resolution difference marginalized this time.

Likewise though third parties don't as reliably do a great job, quite a few really did look kinda crummy on Wii, and even with a MODEST jump forward apparently many games do look worse on Wii U than PS3/360.

TentPole

Played about 8 hours so far and am on day 25 or so. This game is a significant improvement for the series. The level design just stands so far above the first 2 games in the series.

eXistor

Just finished it and loved every minute of it. This is a Nintendo game done right; great art-direction, polish, accessible yet deep. I love that even the shittiest player could finish it (I did not do well at all imo), but there's a lot of room for experts to do their thing and go crazy with this game. Kinda like Super Metroid: it's easy as shit to finish, but to become a true Metroid master takes time and real skill.

I'll try out the missions tomorrow. Also, was there ever any new info on the secret memo's?

Teknoman

Finally back. I am going to take SO many screenshots.

Going in Gamepad only.

EDIT: I didnt get to finish Pikmin 1 before playing this :(

ASIS

Surprised many people are mentioning the polish. I mean, this is a Nintendo game, polish should be expected from the get go.

hatchx

Banned
On day 9, absolutely loving it so far. Might end up being my current GOTY.

Question : How do I look through my album of pictures? I've taken a lot, is there a way I can go back and scroll through them?

so i finally put some serious time into the game (day 11 or so) and its really much better than what i thought.

especially Mark McD. made me worried about the game but most of his criticism was unfounded.

I played 2 days on the gamepad only and the rest with wiimote with gamepad on a stand acting as a map. the second set up really is amazing. I was kinda pissed off at first because the gamepad setting lacked some camera angels but i realized they are in if you have the wii mote + gamepad set up. also you can review your play at the end of the day through your gamepad.

best gamepad use so far.

now i cant wait for w101.. (and hopefully LKS2)

Teknoman

Man the title screen has me hyped for any Nintendo exclusive sci-fi games in the future.

Also wow at 279,000 light years away.

Top Bottom