• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Tokieda

Started this last night and my gawd.. its wonderful. This is my first proper Pikmin game (Nintendo Land mini game was my first Pikmin experience) I love it. I don't have any nunchucks so I am gamepad only and my only complaint is the left stick is really sensitive.

oh well.

such a great little game.

I suggest buy a nunchuck, there are so many other games you would want it for (not to mention the Wii backlog)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Can you make the Pikmin sing like you could in the old games by having a certain amount out?

Also, Rock Pikmin were so-so for me, but I LOVE Winged Pikmin, totally change how you can do things...I imagine many Fruit I got with the other Pikmin would be exponentially easier and quicker to get if I used them. Stupidly when I first got them, I tried throwing them across water to hit this flower for about five minutes, failing each time, before realizing if I simply walked through the water they'd hover alongside me.

The game started off a wee bit slow, but it has its hooks in me now. My dreams were Pikmin-filled, which is definitely a sign. A damn shame I'm going out of town for a few days so I'll have to be away from the game for a while.

And I had these amazing replies to my Miiverse post. I admit my syntax could have been better but...come on, people.

8U2hAIM.jpg

CoolS

Can you make the Pikmin sing like you could in the old games by having a certain amount out?

Also, Rock Pikmin were so-so for me, but I LOVE Winged Pikmin, totally change how you can do things...I imagine many Fruit I got with the other Pikmin would be exponentially easier and quicker to get if I used them. Stupidly when I first got them, I tried throwing them across water to hit this flower for about five minutes, failing each time, before realizing if I simply walked through the water they'd hover alongside me.
Just look out for spider webs with the flying pikmin. Killed a lot of them that way the first time :(

zroid

Banned
The game started off a wee bit slow, but it has its hooks in me now. My dreams were Pikmin-filled, which is definitely a sign. A damn shame I'm going out of town for a few days so I'll have to be away from the game for a while.

And I had these amazing replies to my Miiverse post. I admit my syntax could have been better but...come on, people.

http://i.imgur.com/8U2hAIM.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

ahahah poor kids

Watch Da Birdie

Also, I think I might have an idea about the Secret Message/DLC possibilities...

Remember the fourth Captain in early trailers? He would have been "D", and is absent in the main game...but it's implied that he's made into Alph's Grandfather (or was it father?) Drake, who the ship is named after.

They claim the ship was drawn into the atmosphere and since Drake made it, what if he's on the Pikmin Planet for some reason and was the one who did it?

I was playing this morning and really struggling with the Shaggy Long Legs. I brought all yellow pikmin so they could reach the hair, but I would lose two or three Pikmin every attack cycle.

So I thought, hey. I am going to try something really stupid.

I brought all rock Pikmin to the fight and just used Charge to get up his legs. Apparently rock pikmin can't be squished, they just get planted a little in the ground and come back on their own. It worked and he eventually went down.

Kouriozan

Also, I think I might have an idea about the Secret Message/DLC possibilities...

Remember the fourth Captain in early trailers? He would have been "D", and is absent in the main game...but it's implied that he's made into Alph's Grandfather (or was it father?) Drake, who the ship is named after.

They claim the ship was drawn into the atmosphere and since Drake made it, what if he's on the Pikmin Planet for some reason and was the one who did it?
Well, in the ending
we still don't know why the Drake crashed and who is crashing at the very end too.
It's not too crazy to expect some sort of alternative campaign.

Lenardo

Banned
i'm on day umm 10?i was up until 3am getting to this point last night.

reunited alph and brittany and used alph to toss brit on a ledge where she got tossed when they got separated again,,and ran into this mop boss thingy... needless to say i ran away.

i am loving the wiimote/chuck controls, i tried- briefly the gamepad but haven't tried to delve into it.

my 3 kids love the game so far.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I had a group of 30 yellows and 40 blues (I think, unless it was the reverse), and that's the only time I caught 'em singing. So it looks like yeah you can, I dunno the specific rules to make it happen tho.

i'm on day umm 10?i was up until 3am getting to this point last night.

reunited alph and brittany and used alph to toss brit on a ledge where she got tossed when they got separated again,,and ran into this mop boss thingy... needless to say i ran away.

i am loving the wiimote/chuck controls, i tried- briefly the gamepad but haven't tried to delve into it.

my 3 kids love the game so far.

That's the guy I was having trouble with.

llamarawk

Just unlocked Twilight River,
What I've heard is the last zone.

I've also heard that once you start this zone, you can't go back to the others (but I'm not sure of this). Can anyone confirm this and if so, is it worth it to go back and get all the fruit/exploration notes on a first playthrough for the first 3 zones before progressing?

CoolS

Just unlocked Twilight River,
What I've heard is the last zone.

I've also heard that once you start this zone, you can't go back to the others (but I'm not sure of this). Can anyone confirm this and if so, is it worth it to go back and get all the fruit/exploration notes on a first playthrough for the first 3 zones before progressing?
No the last zone is
formidable oak. And as long as you don't kill the last boss., you can always go back.

Haines

Banned
the tutorials are fine. way better than most games these days. pikmin is a pretty complex game, esp with pointers and pad, i love reading all the hints on how the game works

linko9

I don't think this is spoilers at all, because it's apparent from pretty much the beginning:

What's the deal with this planet? There is a south america on it, mashed into a north america. And the continent with the two zones, that's just a messed up australia, right? So is this supposed to be some future Earth after the tilt of the Earth has shifted and continents have drifted a bunch? Or are they just being cute?

oatmeal

Banned
The thing about this game...is that it's almost TOO good.

No, but seriously. The day system, and the fact that when you are out exploring, you're BOUND to find SOMETHING...so you end the day and go "Well...I want to get that one thing, then I'll stop..."

So you play the next day, make your way to the 'thing' and then get it...and then you catch a glimpse of one more thing, but there's no time to get it with the current day's clock.

FUCK, better play again!

FUCK YOU NINTENDO. I'M TRYING TO WORK!

(EDIT)
The tutorials aren't TOO bad...but the speed of everything post play is really obnoxious. Can't skip the juicing sequence, it just feels like when you take off from the planet, all the way to the EXPLORATION DAY title (which I love), takes forever. Nintendo is so anti-fast.

They've gotten better, though. I was playing Mario Sunshine recently...when you die, not only does it take forever, but it kicks you out of the level! Goddamn.

Semajer

I have a crazy theory about the final boss:
The final boss was a creepy weird gold blob-thing, right? Earlier in the game you can see the Pikmin 2 ship, wrecked, in that marsh area. The ship is missing it's gold coating that you earn in Pikmin 2 when you pay off the debt. I think that the final boss is somehow related to the ship, and that is why it was after Olimar.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't think this is spoilers at all, because it's apparent from pretty much the beginning:

What's the deal with this planet? There is a south america on it, mashed into a north america. And the continent with the two zones, that's just a messed up australia, right? So is this supposed to be some future Earth after the tilt of the Earth has shifted and continents have drifted a bunch? Or are they just being cute?

It has apparently been stated before that PNF-404 is indeed Earth, millions of years in the future after further continental drift.

I think Miyamoto and co said they imagine it as humans left at some point. So it's not a post apocalyptic wasteland. The various insects (and the Pikmin) that don't exist today evolved between now and Pikmin's time.

Haines

Banned
I actually had a rough time starting the game. After I got the girl I missed the cave to the boss in garden and was trying to beat the tropical level without 3 guys, yellow pikmin etc etc. It was a god damn chore and no story or anything going on, it was confusing as hell.

i had to look online and soon realized i was spending hours playing the game wrong and just restarted.

Since than, the game has been a bliss of fun, but Im surprised Nintendo made it so I could play so wrong for so long. Im sure I will be fine now, but wow was I scracthing my head in frustration for a while, and wondering why the game was so hard and no story!

linko9

It has apparently been stated before that PNF-404 is indeed Earth, millions of years in the future after further continental drift.

I think Miyamoto and co said they imagine it as humans left at some point. So it's not a post apocalyptic wasteland. The various insects (and the Pikmin) that don't exist today evolved between now and Pikmin's time.

So how do Earth Earth (from the first two games) and Future Earth both exist in this world? Guess they're time traveling. I'm probably worrying about this too much.

Watch Da Birdie

So how do Earth Earth (from the first two games) and Future Earth both exist in this world? Guess they're time traveling. I'm probably worrying about this too much.

I think it has something to do with them using Light Speed travel so, in reality, every-time they visit the Pikmin Planet a long time has elapsed.

Finished it. It's a wonderful game up until the last level and then it practically craps on itself. How could they think that whole concept was a good idea? They essentially thrust the player into a situation without in anyway training her first and it's completely jarring. If anything, at this point I'd say he last level the whole level is completely antithetical to the core designs of a Pikmin game. Pikmin's about going at your own pace, exploring a level piece by piece and tackling it in any number of ways you choose. When you through all that out the window...it's not fun – or at least, it's not fun to me; especially given how much I hate time-pressured segments of games. The last boss being a
regenerating enemy? Yeah. Not fun.

Looking forward to replaying it, and I'll type up some more general thoughts soon. But that last level...eesh.

Semajer

Finished it. It's a wonderful game up until the last level and then it practically craps on itself. How could they think that whole concept was a good idea? They essentially thrust the player into a situation without in anyway training her first and it's completely jarring. If anything, at this point I'd say he last level the whole level is completely antithetical to the core designs of a Pikmin game. Pikmin's about going at your own pace, exploring a level piece by piece and tackling it in any number of ways you choose. When you through all that out the window...it's not fun – or at least, it's not fun to me; especially given how much I hate time-pressured segments of games. The last boss being a
regenerating enemy? Yeah. Not fun.

Looking forward to replaying it, and I'll type up some more general thoughts soon. But that last level...eesh.

I thought that the final level was fantastic, best part of the game.
It puts you to the task of managing everything you've learned throughout the game, and puts you on a sort of time limit as the boss approaches you.
Also, the final boss
doesn't regenerate. It has a health bar which goes down as you knock parts of it off, or it pukes pieces off in the form of weapons, and if you take too long destroying the fallen pieces it sucks them back up returning them to the life bar.

Watch Da Birdie

How many Secret Memos are in each world? I don't want locations, just so I don't waste time looking in the same places.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ok, I just started playing Pikmin 3 last night and it's a blast to play. I got up to the part where I met up with my female shipmate and I have one question: how do I split up into two teams to multitask? I'm using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk combo to control.

Throw the team member and then press the - button to switch.

8U2hAIM.jpg

I like how Wilkes reported you, I wonder if he mistook that joke for something else.

Defect

When you get the secret memos do the numbers appear in the order you got them or does it rearrange into a set code?

Someone said here that he got a different code on his second play through.

Oidisco

I seriously love this game so much. I'm almost finding my second playthrough to be more fun. Because I know what to expect from the game, I can relax and not worry about getting a tonne of stuff done during each day.
I've been doing the bare minimum each day, and spending most of the time finding neat places to take pictures, like throwing the 3 Captains to hard to reach, high-up locations or just odd places.

I already posted these 2 pictures earlier, but I'm just so damn proud of gorgeous they look I'm gonna post em again!

zlCfzRE9pjAg7O4F9L

zlCfzRE4u4ECeGLfO7

Dr.Hadji

Ug, I flowered almost all of Pikmin2's mission modes in a futile search to find a type of play that the first mission in Pikmin3's mission mode just gave me.

llamarawk

So are the memos and
Olimar
's logs the same thing? I may not have found any Memos yet and I'm on Day 19
and just unlocked Twilight river

Semajer

So are the memos and
Olimar

Nope;
Olimar's Logs are to provide hints to puzzles, and upgrade locations, as well as move the story along. Secret Memos are for something only Miyamoto knows. Secret Memos are filed under "Other".

So are the memos and
Olimar

Memos are the yellow items you find all over the place that give you gameplay advice. They are also...
The hidden memos to get your code look the same. They are just in hard to reach places that require you to think on how to grab them.

Jachaos

Argh I can't figure out how to find that last fruit in Frozen Tundra. There's two patches that seem to indicate I gotta do something with those but I've been trying everything. I'm sure it's something really stupid too. Ugh.

Edit : Nevermind, finally figured it out

Top Bottom