• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

jmls1121

Banned
This game has burrowed itself in my subconscious like many AAA EAD games tend to do. It is so immersive and enjoyable, it feels like it should be illegal. Pikmin 3 is digital crack.

Vire

Man... I really want to play this, I could use some good ole' light hearted fun.

I just can't justify dropping 300 right now on one game. :/

zroid

Banned
Man... I really want to play this, I could use some good ole' light hearted fun.

I just can't justify dropping 300 right now on one game. :/

Wellll, Wonderful 101 is coming out in a few weeks. That should also provide plenty of good ol' light-hearted fun! :D

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I love what the game does after Twilight River's Boss
which I found to be rather easy, but pretty creepy when it smashed all my Pikmin into the air, and then they're all being flown around in a circle...

But anyway, all of a sudden it's NO JUICE and you've gotta really get moving again, not to mention the area you explore has some pretty difficult foes, such as that lobster and crab...

And JESUS CHRIST at the Fifth Boss, that thing was horrific. It doesn't give you any hints either, or at least I didn't see any data files in the boss arena. Lost half my Blue Pikmin to it, and it took forever to beat. Didn't get a chance to rescue Louie the day I beat it since I prioritized getting the Fruit and Monster first, and literally had no Pikmin left for Louie.

Although, after beating it, I realized that even though you lost your fruit and Louie, you could leave the area and explore a different one.

Teknoman

Shhhh.... I need someone convincing me to wait, not to get it now. :lol

Would be cool if they did a buy Pikmin 3 and W101, get 30 bucks back, since they are sorta similar games.

But yeah, this is going to be a good once/twice a month for the system till christmas, so maybe a bundle will hit?

I'm glad this game came out "right" before The Wonderful 101.

It might be culture shock to play a game with a single character after the joy of Pikmin 3.

The transition will be so smooth even knowing the games have a totally different gameplay dynamic.

Fandangox

Do you need to have a TV to play the game? My Wii U doesn't seem to be able to output on the TV.

I know it has Off-Screen TV play, but I tried playing and all I see its a message on the gamepad saying "look at the tv"

Other games typicially let me chouse gamepad output without having to do anything.

Kinsei

Banned
Finished clearing out every area today. Tomorrow I'll head to the final area.

I can't wait to dive into challenge mode after I beat the game. I tried the first challenge in every category and they are really fun.

Do you need to have a TV to play the game? My Wii U doesn't seem to be able to output on the TV.

I know it has Off-Screen TV play, but I tried playing and all I see its a message on the gamepad saying "look at the tv"

Other games typicially let me chouse gamepad output without having to do anything.

Hit the - button on the gamepad.

It says you can hit the minus button to have Off Tv play but I am not sure if that works right off the bat or you have to boot it up once using the TV.

Randdalf

I love what the game does after Twilight River's Boss
which I found to be rather easy, but pretty creepy when it smashed all my Pikmin into the air, and then they're all being flown around in a circle...

But anyway, all of a sudden it's NO JUICE and you've gotta really get moving again, not to mention the area you explore has some pretty difficult foes, such as that lobster and crab...

And JESUS CHRIST at the Fifth Boss, that thing was horrific. It doesn't give you any hints either, or at least I didn't see any data files in the boss arena. Lost half my Blue Pikmin to it, and it took forever to beat. Didn't get a chance to rescue Louie the day I beat it since I prioritized getting the Fruit and Monster first, and literally had no Pikmin left for Louie.

Although, after beating it, I realized that even though you lost your fruit and Louie, you could leave the area and explore a different one.

The tongue! Oh god, the tongue, I was not expecting that to happen at all.

Started playing Bingo Battle with a few friends this afternoon and then I look at the clock and it's pushing past 10PM. Damn that mode is a ton of fun with a couple of players who know what they are doing. It's even fun just to mess around without going for the objectives/bingos and try to kill/mess around with the opponent using the timed land mines and other cherry items.

I don't think this is spoilers at all, because it's apparent from pretty much the beginning:

What's the deal with this planet? There is a south america on it, mashed into a north america. And the continent with the two zones, that's just a messed up australia, right? So is this supposed to be some future Earth after the tilt of the Earth has shifted and continents have drifted a bunch? Or are they just being cute?

It's earth after the next Nibiru passing.
ba-dum-tish.gif

zroid

Banned
I love getting five or more pieces of fruit in a day, it just feels so amazing. It's even better when they all give over 1 jar of juice.

I know some people have been complaining about the game forcing you to watch all those juice animations. I admit, there's no excuse for making it unskippable.

But, gosh darn it, I love watching those canisters fill. It's so satisfying, somehow.

I know some people have been complaining about the game forcing you to watch all those juice animations. I admit, there's no excuse for making it unskippable.

But, gosh darn it, I love watching those canisters fill. It's so satisfying, somehow.

More proof that people will complain about anything.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Finished it. It's a wonderful game up until the last level and then it practically craps on itself. How could they think that whole concept was a good idea? They essentially thrust the player into a situation without in anyway training her first and it's completely jarring. If anything, at this point I'd say he last level the whole level is completely antithetical to the core designs of a Pikmin game. Pikmin's about going at your own pace, exploring a level piece by piece and tackling it in any number of ways you choose. When you through all that out the window...it's not fun – or at least, it's not fun to me; especially given how much I hate time-pressured segments of games. The last boss being a
regenerating enemy? Yeah. Not fun.

Looking forward to replaying it, and I'll type up some more general thoughts soon. But that last level...eesh.
pikmin has never been about moving at your own pace, theres always, always been a level of hurry for what you do in the games

Air

Banned
So I'm still staying true to my goal of keeping every pikmin safe. I had an intense session today where I only completed one day, but as the day ended with about 10 seconds left, I noticed I had one straggler. I was panicking because I replayed this day for about 2 hours and I finally got everything right but this ONE rock pikmin (I feel their AI isn't as good as the other pikmin). I run to the little guy and blow the whistle. He doesn't come. I get closer and blow the whistle again and he starts trotting toward me.

7 seconds left.

I'm running to the ship and I make it.

5 seconds left.

I see this little guy scurrying toward me. My heart racing as I do not want to do this level again.

3 seconds left. And he makes it. I was incredibly relieved and elated. This game really makes me anxious and I can't play for super long sessions lol. Still, it's great and I love it.

Went for my normal post-work run. I usually run through a nature area, and while I passed by some of the normal plant life I usually do, the damn Pikmin theme got stuck in my head!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So my little cousin played the game and killed all my Pikmin, what's the best spot to get rebuild?

Finished it last week, but I wanna get all that fruiiiits.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The charm this game has is so captivating. Must not play until 5 AM when I have work in the morning...

jepense

So I'm still staying true to my goal of keeping every pikmin safe. I had an intense session today where I only completed one day, but as the day ended with about 10 seconds left, I noticed I had one straggler. I was panicking because I replayed this day for about 2 hours and I finally got everything right but this ONE rock pikmin (I feel their AI isn't as good as the other pikmin). I run to the little guy and blow the whistle. He doesn't come. I get closer and blow the whistle again and he starts trotting toward me.

7 seconds left.

5 seconds left.

I see this little guy scurrying toward me. My heart racing as I do not want to do this level again.

3 seconds left. And he makes it. I was incredibly relieved and elated. This game really makes me anxious and I can't play for super long sessions lol. Still, it's great and I love it.
No need to get back to the ship. Pikmin are safe if they are in a squad (i.e., with a leader) anywhere OR idling near an onion. They don't have to be at the onion.

Just got done playing bingo battle with a friend. A lot of fun.

Very well thought out and balanced. Each level feels like a new experience.

We played a mode where you can either complete your bingo card or capture your enemies flag. I was crossing the bridge, on my way to victory with my opponents flag. All of a sudden one of them flying gooballs sucked up the flag and I didn't have enough pikmin to kill it. The flag was just stuck in its belly.

There's some platforming elements in some levels where fire comes up from the ground and you have to time it.

You can also just attack your opponents captain to win. It's very well balanced and interesting. It doesn't seem it was just added in for there to be a head to head mode.

SuperOrez

Just got done playing bingo battle with a friend. A lot of fun.

Very well thought out and balanced. Each level feels like a new experience.

We played a mode where you can either complete your bingo card or capture your enemies flag. I was crossing the bridge, on my way to victory with my opponents flag. All of a sudden one of them flying gooballs sucked up the flag and I didn't have enough pikmin to kill it. The flag was just stuck in its belly.

There's some platforming elements in some levels where fire comes up from the ground and you have to time it.

You can also just attack your opponents captain to win. It's very well balanced and interesting. It doesn't seem it was just added in to be a head to head mode.

Do you think this game would be a fun tournament game? I'm really hopping for some Pikmin tourneys in the future.

kubus

7 seconds left.

5 seconds left.

Wow, youre doing a no death run and you didn't know that the Pikmin don't have to be at the onion to survive? As long as the Pikmin are under your command they're safe. Even if you're in the midst of a boss fight or something.

It also helped me save Pikmin that got stuck somewhere and couldn't get back. Right before the timer hits 0, I blow the whistle snd they're saved, even if they wouldn't be able to get back to me.

You can check out the top of the screen of the gamepad to see how many Pikmin are going to die if you don't do something. ( I think it only appears in the last minute)

This should make things easier for you now :p. I applaud your dedication so far though!

So my little cousin played the game and killed all my Pikmin, what's the best spot to get rebuild?

Finished it last week, but I wanna get all that fruiiiits.
You can restart your last day or from an earlier day, so wouldn't you be able to erase your cousin's crimes with that?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'd recommend manually ending your Day instead of waiting for the timer to run out once you've gathered all your Pikmin.

One accidental shake and you could lose your entire squad.

Layell

Just killed the boss of Twilight River and
fuck you Louie! I had over 3 rows of juice. :( God I feel like Nintendo just plain trolled me.

I came to post this
if there was ever a villain of this series it would be you Louie you started with the whole golden carrot eating in Pikmin 2 and now this stuff here. Even Olimar's Data Files are showing how much you've been messing up lately what is wrong with you?

Effect

Ugh. Just had my first day where I ended up leaving some Pikmin behind. Dying in battle is one thing but leaving them behind got me. Plan on doing that day again tomorrow evening when I get home. Don't like having that on my record.

Jackano

I came to post this
if there was ever a villain of this series it would be you Louie you started with the whole golden carrot eating in Pikmin 2 and now this stuff here. Even Olimar's Data Files are showing how much you've been messing up lately what is wrong with you?

Louie has been throught a traumatism in Pikmin 2 when he was left alone on Earth.
In a way Pikmin 3 shows that he will never be again the one he was before that.

Mik_Pad

Banned
It has been a nightmare trying to buy a digital version of this game :/

I hate how backwards is Nintendo when it comes to accounts and funding my wallet.

Edit: Hope I have better chances tomorrow, I can't wait to play this.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It has been a nightmare trying to buy a digital version of this game :/

I hate how backwards is Nintendo when it comes to accounts and funding my wallet.

Edit: Hope I have better chances tomorrow, I can't wait to play this.

Do you know that you can pay directly with the card without funding the wallet?

scottnak

Gahhhh. accidentally whistled a pikmin that had a grape piece (and it was the very last fruit i needed too)
Ran out of time... need to spend another day just to get that 1 grape piece... :shakes fist::

linko9

Wait.. what? You don't? As long as you have your pikmin with you it's ok?

If they're in a group with any of the three commanders, or within the safe circle around the onion, they'll be safe.

Also I think if they're in the ground anywhere on the map they're safe, though I never tried this out.

Top Bottom