• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Did you actually lose those pikmin at dawn? Because I had a similar event when the guys were carrying the first boss and I couldn't whistle them when the counter reached zero. But all Pikmin survived and I could fetch the dead boss on the next day

This is because if pikmin are in transit between an area, they don't die at the end of a day for some reason.

It's particularly noticeable when you look at your "pikmin in danger" count towards the end of a day: if a group are carrying something through a point between two areas (where you fade to black then appear at the other) the number on your "in danger" count goes down until they come back out the other side, at which point it goes back up.

Ok, so I just got to a certain boss...and, how is this much artistry and technical ability possible!!?

This game is polished to perfection.

jmls1121

Banned
This is the first game in a long.. long time that I thank about while I'm not playing it. Damn it's good.

This is happening to me too. Last game like this was Kid Icarus: Uprising

I have always felt that dreaming about a game or thinking about it when you are at work is the hallmark of a classic game.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Ok, so I just got to a certain boss...and, how is this much artistry and technical ability possible!!?

This game is polished to perfection.

Do you mean
the Quagmire boss?

Because fighting that in the rain looked amazing. Reminded me of the big turtle bosses you fought in the Giza Plains in FFXII

Fiance and I finally platinum'd all of the collection challenges.

We're having a hell of the time on the combat challenges. Anyone have a good strategy for the first one?

Cbajd5

ir1xZLYIfivf8.jpg

Got all the Fruit and all the Secret Memos.

Gartooth

OK after getting 100% on the game (except for a few data logs, but I don't really care to scout those out) I think I can say that this is my favorite game in the Pikmin series. It felt like a good mix between Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 in terms of design, and the game's length was longer than 1 but shorter than 2 from what I recall. I guess my biggest complaint with the game would be that I didn't feel that it was nearly as difficult as the other two games. Pikmin's 30 day limit was much more worrisome than Pikmin 3's juice system
except for when Louie steals the juice which was actually a brilliant move to put pressure on players like that.
Pikmin 3 also didn't have the difficult encounters of Pikmin 2 thanks to the labyrinths that made managing units much more important, simply put I feel like even though there was some great enemy design and fun encounters, they weren't nearly as hard to kill as some enemies in Pikmin 2, and even then making up for lost Pikmin is incredibly easy. (replenishing Pikmin was more taxing in the first two games, in the first because of the time limit, and in Pikmin 2 because you can only get White and Purple Pikmin from bulbs not to mention you can't replenish units when in a labyrinth)

Oh and the lack of multiple save files blows, it might be a while before I replay this game just because I don't like deleting save files after I put so much work into finishing the game.

Also are the Bulborb Pikmin from Pikmin 2 in the challenge mode?

For those of you that downloaded the game digitally thru Nintendo's Online Store how big was the file and roughly how long did it take you to download it?

I know download speed will be varying depending on a number of variables but it will at least give me a general idea. Thanks

For those of you that downloaded the game digitally thru Nintendo's Online Store how big was the file and roughly how long did it take you to download it?

I know download speed will be varying depending on a number of variables but it will at least give me a general idea. Thanks

The file is about 3.9gb, but I didnt download it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

I downloaded it in the US and it took me less than an hour and a half on Sunday.

edit - and yeah, it says 3.9GB when you download it. I don't know why Nintendo doesn't list that info right on the product page. I mean they tell you controllers AND RESOLUTIONS supported!! but not file size? weird.

Bit-Bit

So ya'll know about the three Bulborbs that are sleeping and you can open a gate with the flying Pikmin and sneak attack them?

I had four bombs ready to blow them sky high. I drop the first one a little too far away and they woke up and knocked my other Pikmin which set off the other three bombs and I lost about 70 Pikmin.

:(

All I could think of was that scene in Sunshine where the asian guy is like "I FUCKED UP OKAY?"

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So ya'll know about the three Bulborbs that are sleeping and you can open a gate with the flying Pikmin and sneak attack them?

I had four bombs ready to blow them sky high. I drop the first one a little too far away and they woke up and knocked my other Pikmin which set off the other three bombs and I lost about 70 Pikmin.

:(

All I could think of was that scene in Sunshine where the asian guy is like "I FUCKED UP OKAY?"

I did some stupid shit vs those dudes, and only afterwards realized the brilliance of the winged-pikmin gate. I coulda lured one out and called back the winged pikmin, separating them when the gate closed. Pick off the isolated one by itself, rinse repeat.

Kinsei

Banned
Finished with 100%. The final area was amazing.

zlCfzRFHYo8lCBNK6d

Would have been a day shorter had I known that the
damage on the final boss would carry over to the next day.

Gonna start challenge mode tonight.

theeraser

I love this game so much.

One complaint: using the Wii Remote setup, every time I use my left hand to scratch my face I end up dismissing all of my Pikmin. That nunchuk shake gesture is way too sensitive.

Anyone else find it kind of funny that with the fruit leader board, it's a small hill that peeks somewhere between 30-40 fruit, but then you get to 66 and it's more than all other fruit totals combined?

FlyFaster

Just picked up my preorder (I know I'm late, been busy) and my gf and I are playing right now.

1st impression:

Beautiful, colorful, serene, almost Pixar like. I'm really liking it. I never played a Pikmin game before, it's my gfs thing but man, playing this now I feel like I've been missing out.

Exile20

OK after getting 100% on the game (except for a few data logs, but I don't really care to scout those out) I think I can say that this is my favorite game in the Pikmin series. It felt like a good mix between Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 in terms of design, and the game's length was longer than 1 but shorter than 2 from what I recall. I guess my biggest complaint with the game would be that I didn't feel that it was nearly as difficult as the other two games. Pikmin's 30 day limit was much more worrisome than Pikmin 3's juice system
except for when Louie steals the juice which was actually a brilliant move to put pressure on players like that.
Pikmin 3 also didn't have the difficult encounters of Pikmin 2 thanks to the labyrinths that made managing units much more important, simply put I feel like even though there was some great enemy design and fun encounters, they weren't nearly as hard to kill as some enemies in Pikmin 2, and even then making up for lost Pikmin is incredibly easy. (replenishing Pikmin was more taxing in the first two games, in the first because of the time limit, and in Pikmin 2 because you can only get White and Purple Pikmin from bulbs not to mention you can't replenish units when in a labyrinth)

Oh and the lack of multiple save files blows, it might be a while before I replay this game just because I don't like deleting save files after I put so much work into finishing the game.

Also are the Bulborb Pikmin from Pikmin 2 in the challenge mode?

Just create a new Wii U profile and start a brand new game.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Pikmin 3 is so unlike any game you can find on other consoles. I mean no studio would ever invest in an AAA game like this.

Pretty unique, this one deserves the Nintendo difference label.

Bit-Bit

I dreamed about fruit. Brittany is getting in my head.

Speaking of which, I played for about 8 hours the other night and every time I closed my eyes, I see hundreds of pikmin moving about and carrying things.

I call it the Tetris Effect.

GC|Simon

I seriously love this game so much. I'm almost finding my second playthrough to be more fun. Because I know what to expect from the game, I can relax and not worry about getting a tonne of stuff done during each day.
I've been doing the bare minimum each day, and spending most of the time finding neat places to take pictures, like throwing the 3 Captains to hard to reach, high-up locations or just odd places.

I already posted these 2 pictures earlier, but I'm just so damn proud of gorgeous they look I'm gonna post em again!

zlCfzRE9pjAg7O4F9L

zlCfzRE4u4ECeGLfO7

Fantastic pictures :)

I collected all fruits in three of four areas. I'm going to get the missing eight fruits and then I'll enter the last area and hopefully kill the boss. Great game!

zroid

Banned
Never played a Pikmin game, it looks so adorable! I think I will buy this and have some fun.
Can it get frustrating?

This one isn't quite so frustrating because its save system is very forgiving -- any time you screw up badly (or even a little) you can restart yourself from the previous day. Each day is like 15 or so minutes long, so that's the most time you'll have to spend correcting your mistakes.

I'm only on day 6 but I love it so far, the wii remote definitely feels better than the pad.

Definitely.

The pads not bad, tho. If you're close enough to an object, tap the left trigger to do a quick lockon. Once you get use to that, its much better.

Anyone else think the kiwi looks ridiculously good when you rotate to observe it? So much detail.

derFeef

This one isn't quite so frustrating because its save system is very forgiving -- any time you screw up badly (or even a little) you can restart yourself from the previous day. Each day is like 15 or so minutes long, so that's the most time you'll have to spend correcting your mistakes.

Oh okay, can you still get somehow stuck with not enough fruit or Pikmin?

JCX

I gave up on wiimote+nunchuck. Gamepad+tv is my ideal control method. I do think the former control method might be better for some harder boss battles later on.

Sendou

Oh okay, can you still get somehow stuck with not enough fruit or Pikmin?

Not really because you can always start replaying the game even from the first day should you wish so. In my opinion it's very hard to get stuck in this game. You really would need to try to let that happen. First Pikmin game for me too.

Muzy72

Banned
I keep having to restart Day 3 because I keep losing shitloads of Pikmin to that god damn glass boss. Also, I can't get his body back to the ship in time, and it disappears the next day >_<.

I'm not good at Pikmin :(

I keep having to restart Day 3 because I keep losing shitloads of Pikmin to that god damn glass boss. Also, I can't get his body back to the ship in time, and it disappears the next day >_<.

I'm not good at Pikmin :(

Noo. It doesn't really disappear. It's back at the cave. Dead. Don't stress yourself. It is easier than you think. Throw rock-pikmin at the hull and red ones at the exposed body. You can aim for the tail and when the shield is down, you can send all Pikmin to attack when it stops.

The 2P local stuff; are they worth getting the game for?

If you specifically ask for it; yes, it is. It is really really fun!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just beat the second boss. I suck ass at pikmin, I'm on day 9 or 10 by now...took a good 4 days or so before I even got the captain.

Having a ton of fun with it, though. I don't think I ever beat pikmin 1 or 2(or even got far in them), but I should go back after this. Weird detail but I LOVE the way the fruit juices mix.

Air

Banned
Wow, youre doing a no death run and you didn't know that the Pikmin don't have to be at the onion to survive? As long as the Pikmin are under your command they're safe. Even if you're in the midst of a boss fight or something.

It also helped me save Pikmin that got stuck somewhere and couldn't get back. Right before the timer hits 0, I blow the whistle snd they're saved, even if they wouldn't be able to get back to me.

You can check out the top of the screen of the gamepad to see how many Pikmin are going to die if you don't do something. ( I think it only appears in the last minute)

This should make things easier for you now :p. I applaud your dedication so far though!

You can restart your last day or from an earlier day, so wouldn't you be able to erase your cousin's crimes with that?

I didn't know they had to be under your command. I knew about the little sign on the top right corner, but I just assumed they had to be at the onion. That makes things a bit easier, thanks.

Top Bottom