• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Beelzebub

zlCfzRE1__Ykh-241y

zlCfzRE2QIoFRlGGV0

zlCfzRE2i5w6VJHPfQ

zlCfzRFCRoQXLQjg9p

zlCfzRE3F_sBuvrmD-

zlCfzRE3cW0kRRFNQP

zlCfzRE3cr4e-jTEd7

zlCfzRE2zmcuCNPY8r

I think one of my favorite things to do in this game is take photos.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Just got it and I'm on Day 4. Holy shit, when you lose a bunch of dudes when you're attempting to get back to the ship, that is an emotionally crippling moment.

My girlfriend who was only kind of half watching as she was working on her costume stuff just had this horrified look on her face as they were hopping up and down, screaming that the ship had left as that monster came and started eating them.

Mik_Pad

Banned
I've used my CC several times for direct purchases on the Wii U eShop. Sorry you're having trouble. I wonder what the problem is?
It prompts an error which I searched on Nintendo's Support website with no success, I'll try tomorrow through Gamestop I think they sell digital codes. Is there other NA retailer that sells digital codes for Wii U games?

Still trying to clear up the Distant Tundra. I've spent about 6 days there now. Most of which were spent wandering around in a confused state. There's a couple pieces of fruit and 1-2 data files that I just cannot reach and it's irking the hell out of me.

Going to spend 1-2 more days on it then just go take out the boss and move on.

AGoodODST

Still trying to clear up the Distant Tundra. I've spent about 6 days there now. Most of which were spent wandering around in a confused state. There's a couple pieces of fruit and 1-2 data files that I just cannot reach and it's irking the hell out of me.

That one data file on the ledge near the landing site had me stuck for ages.

Fandangox

Man. Started playing for a bit, and before realized I had already played 8 days.

The first boss battle from the demo was alright, wasn't as great as I thought. I sent an army of rocks and reds and had the rest wait till I shattered the armor, then switched to attack it. It was a slow way to do it, but easiest way to avoid unnecessary Pikmin deaths. ;-;

The part where
Alph and Brittany split up again
was a bit of a pain, took me 2 days to build the two bridges, but at least the time wasn't wasted, as I was able to get all the fruits ready for when the bridges were ready, ending with 7 fruits in one fell swoop.

Loving the game so far, its great and I so happy to finally be able to play it.

If they're in a group with any of the three commanders, or within the safe circle around the onion, they'll be safe.

Also I think if they're in the ground anywhere on the map they're safe, though I never tried this out.

Yes. It was the same with all Pikmin games. PLUS: if they are buried and you don't pluck them, they will grow a flower on the next day, so it's even a good idea to leave them in the ground at the end of a day when you plan to return to the same level.

Mael

Yes. It was the same with all Pikmin games. PLUS: if they are buried and you don't pluck them, they will grow a flower on the next day, so it's even a good idea to leave them in the ground at the end of a day when you plan to return to the same level.

Actually Im playing P1, and they flower the longer they stay on the ground, so if you leave them something like 1/2 a day they become flower.
Leave them a 1/4 and they grow a bulb or something.

I was getting errors earlier a lot . Error 150-2310 i believe. it stopped doing it when I played it later. Im debating if I should return to Amazon because i see a small small tiny tiny scratch by the hole of the disc. Anyone else have any errors with this game?

LOVE it though, just beat the first boss holy crap was it intense

I was getting errors earlier a lot . Error 150-2310 i believe. it stopped doing it when I played it later. Im debating if I should return to Amazon because i see a small small tiny tiny scratch by the hole of the disc. Anyone else have any errors with this game?

LOVE it though, just beat the first boss holy crap was it intense

Not a one. Though we got the digital copy.

Mendoza

Just beat the game.
Loved it.

Being a fan of both Pikmin 1&2 from the Gamecube releases, and just recently replaying them on the Wii New Play Control versions, I can say that Pikmin 3 was my favorite. Aside from the excess amount of bridge building, the level designs were the best of the series.
The bosses were so damn unique, and made the game so goddamn enjoyable.

Also, I'll go on the record to say that the final stage and boss were awesome. I can see that some people would find it frustrating, but I found the tension to be a real treat all the way down to the final confrontation with one of the most unexpected bosses ever.

I wish I could forget this experience so I can play it all over again. I just hope the optional sub-bosses to collect the remaining fruit are as exhilarating. Also, here's hoping to a new DLC area.

pikmin has never been about moving at your own pace, theres always, always been a level of hurry for what you do in the games

Not for Pikmin 2, and there has always been soft pressure for you to keep moving in 1 and 3, yes, but one that allows you time to explore. The last level's pressure is too overt and, playing it the first time, bad game design I feel because it doesn't allow you to explore the paths ahead. You're essentially forced to do trial and error exercises to find the right path, which are not fun.

I was in the middle of fighting the first boss on my second run and switched to the gamepad during the middle of it to see how I could handle it...nope. Too inaccurate.

braves01

Banned
Did a marathon session just now. Like 15 days game time. And I'm still impressed with how good this looks. It feels like a Pixar game, not a Nintendo one, even beyond the visuals. They should partner up to make a movie, especially since Pixar's creative spark seems to have dulled.

Now i'm having a blast with this game, and so is my girlfriend. Beatiful and really top quality gameplay.

But WHAT THE FUCK Nintendo.... Just ONE save file????? what the fuck were you thinking?

Now i'm having a blast with this game, and so is my girlfriend. Beatiful and really top quality gameplay.

But WHAT THE FUCK Nintendo.... Just ONE save file????? what the fuck were you thinking?
Isn't it tied to user profiles? I didn't check, but that's what I assumed anyway. If you log in with a different user, you should get another save slot for either you or your girlfriend.

Im on day 40 and have 14 pieces of fruit left to get before i have them all. Loving this game, so addicitive. I think ive played for 4 hours straight each of the last three nights.

Shahadan

Not for Pikmin 2, and there has always been soft pressure for you to keep moving in 1 and 3, yes, but one that allows you time to explore. The last level's pressure is too overt and, playing it the first time, bad game design I feel because it doesn't allow you to explore the paths ahead. You're essentially forced to do trial and error exercises to find the right path, which are not fun.
How? You just have to use two teams at the same time and progress, which is what the whole game is about. Last level is awesome and cleverly designed
You can even explore as much as you want.

Yeah, it's tied to user profiles, that way it's a fresh "file" for everyone involved. Honestly it makes too much sense for most people to think of, with a lot of us used to "selecting our storage media" as games start up. Also means you can delete/copy saves on a user basis pretty easy.

Effect

That's where I'm at now. Just realized I need to pace myself and as long as I have juice I don't need to try and do everything. At least on the first run.

Is it possible to end the day early? Or leave a section and head down to another if you still have part of the day left?

That's where I'm at now. Just realized I need to pace myself and as long as I have juice I don't need to try and do everything. At least on the first run.

Is it possible to end the day early? Or leave a section and head down to another if you still have part of the day left?

You can end the day from the + Menu.

Yeah, when I realized that the fruit was the main bearing on the time part of the gameplay, I tried to slow down at least a little bit. Most of my time was, at first, spent sprinting from spot to spot.

zroid

Banned
Can't wait to see the last level for myself. I've continuously been led to believe it's a "love it or hate it" type of deal. Those are always exciting!

So I completed the first Pikmin and planned on playing Pikmin 2 before this, but just couldn't help myself. I'm about 3 hours in, and the graphics difference and overall presentation is such a drastic upgrade that I don't think I can go to Pikmin 2 after this. The music is incredible too, but overall the sound seems to be lacking heavy bass compared my other Wii U games. Is there an audio setting I'm missing somewhere in the game?

Parallacs

I don't know if this problem was intentional, but on my first try, I killed the
Sand
boss with a good third of the day left and a full 100 men. I divided up my guys to carry all the watermelon pieces and the body of the boss.

The boss got stuck on the first "gate" thing. I could go towards the ship and see the guys trying to carry it. I couldn't whistle them and when I got closer to them, I went back into the empty boss arena.

The day went by and I couldn't even retrieve my 90 something guys (only the phone made it back). I had to restart the day and ended up losing a ton of pikmin on the boss the second time. And the third time, and the fourth time... I replayed the day probably 8 times trying to get more time. When the boss does three straight traps, a full quarter of the day can go by. I finally cut my losses and just brought the watermelon back. The day ended when they were just outside the ring.

I couldn't help but be frustrated about the whole evening.

I don't know if this problem was intentional, but on my first try, I killed the
Sand
boss with a good third of the day left and a full 100 men. I divided up my guys to carry all the watermelon pieces and the body of the boss.

The boss got stuck on the first "gate" thing. I could go towards the ship and see the guys trying to carry it. I couldn't whistle them and when I got closer to them, I went back into the empty boss arena.

The day went by and I couldn't even retrieve my 90 something guys (only the phone made it back). I had to restart the day and ended up losing a ton of pikmin on the boss the second time. And the third time, and the fourth time... I replayed the day probably 8 times trying to get more time. When the boss does three straight traps, a full quarter of the day can go by. I finally cut my losses and just brought the watermelon back. The day ended when they were just outside the ring.

I couldn't help but be frustrated about the whole evening.

Did you actually lose those pikmin at dawn? Because I had a similar event when the guys were carrying the first boss and I couldn't whistle them when the counter reached zero. But all Pikmin survived and I could fetch the dead boss on the next day

How what? As far as I know, you can't use the "go here" function without exploring an area first, so you have to keep Brittany with you the entire time, and you can't set her on a particular path – to, say, run around in circles. There are also deadends where, if I was with Brittany and had to turn around, I got caught and most of my pikmin perished. It was more frustrating than anything; I wasn't having fun. The game didn't prepare me for that mechanic, which made it even more frustrating.

Teknoman

Still have to fight the urge to run back to the ship with everyone, but now I try to spend whatever few seconds left uncovering items. Kinda takes some of the tension out of the timer considering you dont have to run back to the ship...just getting teleported back when the timer runs out, but then again...its probably better in case you get caught far away / are in the middle of a boss fight.

The slowdown during the juicing animation is kinda embarrassing lol

Maybe its there on purpose to make you want to drink dat juice :p

Actually i've noticed a bit of slowdown when landing in certain areas. At the parts where a good amount of the area is visible before you and the onion land.

Shahadan

How what? As far as I know, you can't use the "go here" function without exploring an area first, so you have to keep Brittany with you the entire time, and you can't set her on a particular path – to, say, run around in circles. There are also deadends where, if I was with Brittany and had to turn around, I got caught and most of my pikmin perished. It was more frustrating than anything; I wasn't having fun. The game didn't prepare me for that mechanic, which made it even more frustrating.

There is a big ass circle area in the center of the map and no you don't have to keep brittany with you more than the first minute. The game prepared you to separate your group the entire time you've been playing, from the very moment you step on the Tundra level.
Olimar
didn't even get captured once for me.

Parallacs

Did you actually lose those pikmin at dawn? Because I had a similar event when the guys were carrying the first boss and I couldn't whistle them when the counter reached zero. But all Pikmin survived and I could fetch the dead boss on the next day

I restarted the day before the counter reached zero. So I might not have lost them if I hadn't. I was more angry that all of my watermelon got blocked on my perfect run and my next 8 runs were disasters.

I had a similar stress on the glow boss, having to leave behind two fruit and a suit upgrade because I had to put aside a good portion of the day for the boss.

I guess it isn't a big deal, I just overstress on running low on juice, despite having two rows saved up.

Gartooth

Does this game have a "true ending" like the first two games for getting 100 percent? I finished the game earlier, then went back later to get all the fruit. Now I'm wondering whether or not to play the final battle again.

There is a big ass circle area in the center of the map and no you don't have to keep brittany with you more than the first minute. The game prepared you to separate your group the entire time you've been playing, from the very moment you step on the Tundra level.
Olimar
didn't even get captured once for me.

Yeah, there is a circular area, but you have to quickly clear the way first: a frustrating task for me given what's bearing down on the player. I was forced to keep Brittany with me the entire time because I couldn't figure out what to do with Brittany. Yes, the game does prepare you with separating your team, but not at that pace. I don't have fun with mechanics that force me to rush – if there is a time pressure, I like it gentle. Something to keep in the back of my mind but just enough so I don't have to be too worried about it.

The final level doesn't do that, so I wasn't having much fun. Again, I don't like it when I'm rushed in games. I don't find that fun because I'm not that good at thinking on my feet in games. I just get frustrated.

Gartooth

OK decided to finish the final level again anyway just to see, and yep the game does have a "true ending" for getting all fruit although it
is just narration as to what happens next rather than any additional cutscenes. Though the part about crashing on the Pikmin planet not being an "accident" is curious.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I was pretty dissapointed the Pikmin 3 stuff in the Direct was just talking about the camera function....but he's right, that is one of my favorite new features in Pikmin 3. After I beat the game I'll probably fuck around taking pictures.

Top Bottom