• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Czigga

Bleh, anyone know of a way to adjust the sensitivity when using the gamepad? Not totally hamstrung can still get through the game ok, but it'd be nice if I could make the cursor move like half as fast. Tougher than it should be to lock onto baddies etc.

I'm a lefty so using the wii remote isn't any less awkward unfortunately.

Bleh, anyone know of a way to adjust the sensitivity when using the gamepad? Not totally hamstrung can still get through the game ok, but it'd be nice if I could make the cursor move like half as fast. Tougher than it should be to lock onto baddies etc.

I'm a lefty so using the wii remote isn't any less awkward unfortunately.

I'm wondering the same thing. The game is clearly optimized for Wiimote play, but couldnt they make adjustments for optimized gamepad play as well?

Defect

Is there any stat tracking even though it's only local? It would be nice if I could track my W/L's vs my wife over time.
It adds a point to whoever won a match each time. So if you won once, you would have a 1 on your character. Everythingnis reset after your exit out of bingo battle so there is no total wins/losses.

I'm looking for something to play local co-op with but it sounds like aside from those challenge modes and bingo there's not much...kept progression in co-op?

Bingo and Challenge are the only cooperative modes but there are 16 challenges and I believe 15 bingo maps. The challenge maps are very difficult to 100% in both single and co-op and you get a medal for completing them in single and co-op. Bingo has a lot of replayability so you might enjoy it.

Plus there's the single player campaign which is great.

Xun

I keep having to restart Day 3 because I keep losing shitloads of Pikmin to that god damn glass boss. Also, I can't get his body back to the ship in time, and it disappears the next day >_<.

I'm not good at Pikmin :(
It disappears the next day? I haven't checked yet.

I sadly lost 25 of my little guys against him, not good. :(

My poor babies.

Alpha_eX

Just finished it, what an amazing game from start to finish. I'm really negative about a lot of games but Pikmin 3 is an absolute gem, sure it has it's niggles but it was pure joy to play.

Felt I got more than most would in the story mode, collected all the fruit and such but made sure I did it in as few days as possible...

zlCfzRFI9mwGaWyLe_

Pretty sure I could shave at least 4 days off knowing the charge attack now. Did the final level in 2 days, pretty sure it's possible to do it in 1 if you don't care so much about the secret notes. I'd love to do a fruits only run but sadly, one save per profile.

And here's my actual playtime, though I'd argue it's much higher than this, at least 38 hours on story mode...

zlCfzRFI_pg3Jz3Kmk

I'm REALLY tempted to go back and try a perfect run tomorrow. I really want to get under 20 days, I know it's possible.

End game discussion... BIG SPOILERS

So, Loogie goes back to the planet in search of more food by the looks of it? Olimar says he's not on the ship and at the end of the credits you see something crash into the planet and the Pikmin rush to check it out.

My guess is that this continues with Year of Luigi and the secret code unlocks some post-game stuff, maybe going back to find him? I don't know, it's quite nice how they ended it but damn it was sad leaving all my Pikmin behind with them thinking I'd be back the next day... :(

Non-spoilery, the last level is incredible, especially the first day of it. I was really sad at the end of the game, I didn't want it to end.

I still stand by my complaints about the controls, Gamepad/Controller could have been improved by mapping the cursor to right stick and leaving the camera function as it is with the nunchuck serving as both lock-on and face forward. The waggle got misused in some heated situations, disbanding my Pikmin during boss battles or when shifting around on the chair which got annoying at times. Really wish they kept the Gamepad controls closer to the nunchuck, down on the d-pad should have paused and brought up the map. I take back my complaints about the map not being on sceen, I liked feeling as if I was a commander in a space ship or something.

I never used the roll aside from a desperate attempt when fighting the sand boss.

Pikmim 3, GOTY <3

Need a hint. I'm in Twlight River trying to follow a radio signal but I literally cannot find anywhere else to go.
Built the bridge and got the Pink Pikmin already.

A helpful hint would be appreciated without spelling it out entirely.

_woLf

Quick question, it's probably been asked before but I figured I'll ask again.

Is there no way to set up the control scheme to be what it is in Nintendo Land? It was so much easier to throw/aim pikmin when I could just tap the screen. :(

zroid

Banned
Quick question, it's probably been asked before but I figured I'll ask again.

Is there no way to set up the control scheme to be what it is in Nintendo Land? It was so much easier to throw/aim pikmin when I could just tap the screen. :(

Heathen! :p

But seriously, use the Wiimote/Nunchuk. You will thank me.

Should I go back and collect all the fruit before
playing the Formidable Oak level or does the game give me an option to go back and play more before leaving the planet for good?

This has next to nothing to do with his post but does the Onion popping out Pikmin remind anyone else closely of the tower in NintendoLand popping out prizes???

LOCK

playing the Formidable Oak level or does the game give me an option to go back and play more before leaving the planet for good?
I want to know this also.
This has next to nothing to do with his post but does the Onion popping out Pikmin remind anyone else closely of the tower in NintendoLand popping out prizes???

Now that you mention it....

zroid

Banned
I don't like having to point up at the screen because my tv is up fairly high in my setup :(

The controls and UI seem really, really bad. Very non-Nintendo...

If you have motion plus, you don't even have to point at the screen. I play with my Wiimote pointed at a cushion, lol.

The controls are definitely excellent if you use the Wiimote. I can't speak to the GamePad, unfortunately, haven't even bothered with it.

braves01

Banned
I finished watching the Giant Bomb quick look, and wow whoever was playing was bad. But in a comical way that made for an enjoyable video.

stuminus3

Finished the story mode 100%, clock shows just under 18 hours. For some reason my safe file shows I've been playing longer than the console itself says, I presume that's just the crappy Wii U OS being crappy. Finished on day 49, which seems to be somewhat normal according to that neat global ranking graph you get.

That last area/boss, I can't imagine it without the Wii U pad.

I can't post my overall thoughts on the game without sounding like some hyperbolic driveling Miyamoto fanboy so all I'll say is... remember that pure unfiltered joy you felt playing Super Mario Galaxy 2? That. This might sound silly to GAF but if Nintendo announced tomorrow that the Wii U was done, I'd at least have had the pleasure of what I bought the system for in the first place.

I hope it doesn't take so long for a Pikmin 4 (or worse, I hope Pikmin isn't done after this).

If you have motion plus, you don't even have to point at the screen. I play with my Wiimote pointed at a cushion, lol.

The controls are definitely excellent if you use the Wiimote. I can't speak to the GamePad, unfortunately, haven't even bothered with it.

I play with a motion plus remote but have to point it at the sensor bar still, a message even came up saying a sensor bar is needed when I booted the game for the first time.

zroid

Banned
I play with a motion plus remote but have to point it at the sensor bar still, a message even came up saying a sensor bar is needed when I booted the game for the first time.

It says that, but you don't need to actually do it. Although, to be clear, I think whenever you use the GamePad (even just to check the map) it automatically defaults to IR controls for like 10 seconds. I guess that's when it's "calibrating". Then it switches back to the gyro and you don't have to point at the screen anymore. It's kind of weird how it switches like that, but thankfully the periods of IR control are very brief.

Effect

Okay I think I'm going have to push myself more to play with the gamepad instead of the Wiimote. The Wiimote is easily more accurate when it comes to aiming but the map is to big of feature in the game to pass up. My current setup isn't working using both the Wiimote and gamepad. Perhaps I need to just change my room around a little. That or stop getting to hung up on possibly leaving a few PIkmin behind if I miss them

zashga

Loving this game more every day. Unlocked the last level, but I want to get all the fruit and memos before I go there.

Okay I think I'm going have to push myself more to play with the gamepad instead of the Wiimote. The Wiimote is easily more accurate when it comes to aiming but the map is to big of feature in the game to pass up. My current setup isn't working using both the Wiimote and gamepad. Perhaps I need to just change my room around a little. That or stop getting to hung up on possibly leaving a few PIkmin behind if I miss them

I use the wiimote and just keep the gamepad in my lap.

I just got all the fruit. I haven't entered the last level because... I'm sad. I don't want it to end. Sure, I can play it again and do the missions. But the whole journey of finding the drive key and
the Louie segment
and all the sense of discovery. It's pure Pikmin magic.

There's nothing like this series for me, and it's too special to rush through. I just put the controller down and "checked in" 10 times in a row to listen to Brittany and the crew's gibberish (blah blah Pikmin blah blah Captain). So cute. So good.

Sigh. I guess I'll complete my journey tomorrow.

kubus

I want to know this also.

Since this hasn't been answered yet:

Yes, do try to get all the fruit first. After beating the boss you will be asked to overwrtite your save. If you do that, you can only replay your last day or play from an earlier day, so you'd have to beat the final boss again to get the new results screen.

Don't know if it is the same as in Pikmin 2. In there you had to have 20 of each Pikmin type following you.
This is correct :)

PrimeX

Just got the game yesterday. It looks great and can't wait to go back home and play again but in the meanwhile I have some questions.
- can I make the pikmins follow automatically, without whistle at them all the time?
- can I change the language from wtf they are speaking to english? It seems to be japanese but twisted in a strange unintelligible way. I hate reading the damn quotes.
- can the game be started by different players? I mean if my girlfriend wants to play, can she just pick another profile?

oatmeal

Banned
Just got the game yesterday. It looks great and can't wait to go back home and play again but in the meanwhile I have some questions.
- can I make the pikmins follow automatically, without whistle at them all the time?
- can I change the language from wtf they are speaking to english? It seems to be japanese but twisted in a strange unintelligible way. I hate reading the damn quotes.
- can the game be started by different players? I mean if my girlfriend wants to play, can she just pick another profile?

1. From the onion? If you stand under it they will follow.
2. They're speaking Piklish...or something...it's Nintendo's faux voice acting that they've done for years. No english option.
3. THey need to log into a different Wii U account.

Teknoman

They are from another planet, and you dont have any kinda translator or reason to hear them speaking english, just roll with it (if you're talking about the astronauts...if Pikmin, they're just like plant monkeys) ;p

Jachaos

When you touch/walk by a Pikmin they'll start following you.
It's not a real language, kind of like in Animal Crossing.
There's a save file for each profile/Mii so she logs in to her and she can start from scratch

LOCK

Since this hasn't been answered yet:

Yes, do try to get all the fruit first. After beating the boss you will be asked to overwrtite your save. If you do that, you can only replay your last day or play from an earlier day, so you'd have to beat the final boss again to get the new results screen.

This is correct :)
Thanks! My OCD habits have already caused me to spend way to much time on exploration.

Been playing the co op missions with my bro. Man I can't remember the last time couch co op was this much fun. It's crazy but it really does bring me back to when I was younger. Just playing together with my brother and even crazier, it has reminded me why I love gaming and I've only touched the treasure missions. Of course these are my opinions.

I haven't touched the single player. Ill be sure to play it soon. How did people play this without the pointer controls? It's crazy playing on the gamepad!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I still stand by my complaints about the controls, Gamepad/Controller could have been improved by mapping the cursor to right stick and leaving the camera function as it is with the nunchuck serving as both lock-on and face forward.

Actually the main reason I use the gamepad over the wiimote is the fact that I can control the camera. I hate the camera movement for the wiimote. And you can actually control the aiming separately on the gamepad with the left stick if you press R.

I don't like having to point up at the screen because my tv is up fairly high in my setup :(

The controls and UI seem really, really bad. Very non-Nintendo...

Uh, you don't have to point at the TV, you have to point where your sensor bar is. It has a long cable so you can set it up wherever you like. This works with Motion plus as well as with normal wiimotes.

I got Pikmin 3 yesterday. I'm pretty blown away, this is my first time playing the series and it's simply beautiful and has amazing mechanics.

NeoRausch

@weird: Shame on you for letting that many die. I've lost 8 and I'm almost at the point of never being able to sleep again.

ah pfff... they are walking vegetables. they would've start rotting in a few days anyway.
better get rid of the old ones and bring some fresh in.

photosynthesis hooray!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
If you haven't seen the thread; the meaning of the secret code has been revealed:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=647095

Haven't gotten them all or watched the videos yet, but I wonder why they opted to do it this way, with the videos on a website, rather than just unlocking them in-game when you get all the notes. The code part seems a bit much. Pikmin 2 had an "all-clear" secret video like this too.

Top Bottom