• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So I finished the story part while I was on a thread whiner's summer holiday :p

Amazing game, pure joy!!

My only real complaint is the AI pathing for them pikmins.. Man, sometimes that can be really annoying.

zlCfzRE43XEoWTm_fA

Mik_Pad

Banned
Actually the main reason I use the gamepad over the wiimote is the fact that I can control the camera. I hate the camera movement for the wiimote. And you can actually control the aiming separately on the gamepad with the left stick if you press R.
If you don't push the left stick all the way you can move only the reticule but it's easier just to press R.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I'm like 13 days or so in, just finished off the
sand boss
early in the day and spent the rest of the day grabbing stuff.

Can I just say that this game is a masterpiece? Like, an all-time masterpiece?

daakusedo

Getting things done fast with two captains and pathfinding.
I was doing day 3 and exploring the part behind the glass wall close to the drake, then did the balance puzzle and thought there was nothing more to do then spot the zone leading to the boss, had time to build the bridge and beat him.

And it just got even deeper in the toundra, first day clearing all the map section for Alph and second day, building the bridge on Brittany side, sending a group to get the fruits in the yellow pikmin cave while clearing the left part of the level with the rock spitters and geysers to finally go get the grape vine and flute in the opposite side of the map.
And finally fighting lulu long legs while exploring another cave with the second group when the boss go into the water.

First pikmin game I play with wiimote too, that method is legit.
Well I also don't have too much time to take photos with the way I play.

Kinsei

Banned
I think I figured out the answer to the unanswered questions in the game but I'll need someone who can read Japanese to verify everything.

Pikmin 2 and 3 spoilers
Apparently in the Japanese version of the game the Plasm Wraith is called Amenyudo. If that is indeed the case then it seems very likely that the Plasm Wraith was based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umibouzu. In Pikmin 2 the Waterwraith was called Amebouzu in Japan. It seems like the Plasm Wraith and Waterwraith could be the same creature.

jmls1121

Banned
I completely forgot about this. Any rough estimates on how long it takes to finish the story campaign?

If you're rushing through it and are a Pikmin veteran, about 12 hours.

But this is the type of game that truly deserves 100% completion AND multiple playthroughs.

I am at the last main section right now and struggling with a particular boss. This game is another Miyamoto masterpiece for sure.

Jackano

I think I figured out the answer to the unanswered questions in the game but I'll need someone who can read Japanese to verify everything.

Pikmin 2 and 3 spoilers
Apparently in the Japanese version of the game the Plasm Wraith is called Amenyudo. If that is indeed the case then it seems very likely that the Plasm Wraith was based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umibouzu. In Pikmin 2 the Waterwraith was called Amebouzu in Japan. It seems like the Plasm Wraith and Waterwraith could be the same creature.

Very interesting piece of culture, thanks!
I didn't do the link between the two. It kinda ruins the idea of DLC to explain the crash if you are supposed to know this reference :/

I fucking hate my country.

Pikmin 3 still not available. >.>

And no, I'm not buying the digital version of a 20 hours game with no replay value.

I finished it today. Lovely game with tons of charm. I felt it was really short, though. I got all the fruit and all the secret memos but still felt that way.

I didn't even try the Wiimote controls. I couldn't be bothered to charge it so I played with the Gamepad. Never had any issues.

I didn't like the final stage, though. I felt rushed and I hate not being able to explore. Between the stage and the final boss I lost a bunch of Pikmin :(

Anyway, I will surely get DLC if it comes out. Back to SMTIV for now.

Mik_Pad

Banned
I finished it today. Lovely game with tons of charm. I felt it was really short, though. I got all the fruit and all the secret memos but still felt that way.

I didn't even try the Wiimote controls. I couldn't be bothered to charge it so I played with the Gamepad. Never had any issues.

I didn't like the final stage, though. I felt rushed and I hate not being able to explore. Between the stage and the final boss I lost a bunch of Pikmin :(

Anyway, I will surely get DLC if it comes out. Back to SMTIV for now.
Is there anyway to keep track of missing memos?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

And no, I'm not buying the digital version of a 20 hours game with no replay value.

Not sure if serious? This game has way above the average of replay value

taybul

My only real complaint is the AI pathing for them pikmins.. Man, sometimes that can be really annoying.

Yeah definitely had an instance where a river separated my groups and while one group waited right at the edge of it, the other built a bridge right next to them. When I whistled the entire group over what did they decide? Yep, let's go ahead and ford that river.

Randdalf

zlCfzRE43XEoWTm_fA

Yep, they seem to believe that once they're within a certain range of their objective they can path directly to it.

Flow fields like in SupCom2 and Planetary Annihilation would have been great for this game for several reasons, but mainly because it would make Pikmin movement in crowds a lot more natural and calculating paths back to the captain would be cheap since you'd only need to do it once for all the Pikmin.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking he likes the option of resale or trade. And doesn't want to give it up by going digital.

That's perfectly understandable. What I had in mind was the "zero" replay value part

The three orange bulborbs in Twlight River are a GIGANTIC P.I.T.A.

You don't have to fight them. The Pikmin that grab the fruit won't wake them up.

Bombs man, bombs.
This clearly shows what I love about Pikmin, that you can approach a challenge in so many different ways. Do you go stealth? total war? environmental? special pikmin type combination? It's genius.

This clearly shows what I love about Pikmin, that you can approach a challenge in so many different ways. Do you go stealth? total war? environmental? special pikmin type combination? It's genius.

Agreed. I really like when you have multiple ways of completing objectives. Having two different pikmin types that can traverse through/over water has added to more strategic options as well in Pikmin 3.

Clov

So I got to the part after the Twilight River boss where
Louie just goes and steals ALL of my juice. Do I have a certain amount of time to find him and get it back, or does it not matter how much time I take? I want to know whether I should go after him right away, or go to older areas with my blue Pikmin to get some more fruit.

Could someone help out?

scottnak

So I got to the part after the Twilight River boss where
Louie just goes and steals ALL of my juice. Do I have a certain amount of time to find him and get it back, or does it not matter how much time I take? I want to know whether I should go after him right away, or go to older areas with my blue Pikmin to get some more fruit.

Could someone help out?

Just think of it as
being back to square 1. You can do whatever you want, as long as you have the juice to continue.

Fandangox

Spent a lot of time in tropical winds before finally deciding to reach the boss, was mostly farming the Pikmin and getting as most fruit as possible.

I am on the Twilight River and damn, didn't expect
Louie to be in the game.

finngamer

Finished every Mission on Platinum, they took more time than the 100% completion of Story mode. :)

The Story mode is really just a gorgeous, laid back adventure. But the Missions is where it's really at, where the design really shines. If you want to have Platinums, you have to constantly operate the three characters separately, always giving new orders, always think which group to take with you, always multitasking, always in a hurry.

It's just so damn deep: how the pikmin are soldiers, carriers and harvesters at the same time, how the enemies are fighters, puzzles, and resources. Everything is connected, and everything is fine tuned. It's the best real-time strategy game ever on a console.

Tripon

Looks like Pikmin 3 just about threw the price of Pikmin 1 wii version out of whack. On Amazon, $93.44 new, and $50 used.

Finished every Mission on Platinum, they took more time than the 100% completion of Story mode. :)

The Story mode is really just a gorgeous, laid back adventure. But the Missions is where it's really at, where the design really shines. If you want to have Platinums, you have to constantly operate the three characters separately, always giving new orders, always think which group to take with you, always multitasking, always in a hurry.

It's just so damn deep: how the pikmin are soldiers, carriers and harvesters at the same time, how the enemies are fighters, puzzles, and resources. Everything is connected, and everything is fine tuned. It's the best real-time strategy game ever on a console.

I was disappointed about finishing up Story mode, but now you've got me looking forward to trying the Missions.

Tokieda

No replay value? Have you ever played Pikmin?

The whole game is designed with replay value in mind. I just played the same challenge mode level for two hours straight trying to best my score.

Also multiplayer.

I specifically downloaded it because I know I'll be coming back to it again and again...

Tokieda

I think Twilight River is my favorite level. It makes heavy use – as it should – of pink pikmin. My favorite type of pikmin.

Agreed, they're so adorable when they fly around. Also, I love the new
spider
enemy.
When the pink pikmin get stuck in their net I feel like a parent who has let his kids run out into traffic

I think Twilight River is my favorite level. It makes heavy use – as it should – of pink pikmin. My favorite type of pikmin.

Im just at the part where I got the flying pikmin. The game just gets better. A lot of fun to send them around. I learned the hard way on how weak they are, tho. Not sending them back into battle. Maybe to get a cheap kick in there when the other guys got a creature covered.

CrisKre

This game is just designed sooo freaking flawlessly. Still nothing in the industry plays like Pikmin. Just and instant classic right here.

majik13

anyone know how to opt back into the global stat tracking? the game asked me when I was first booting up, and somethign between switching back and forth between the wiiremote controls and the gamepad, I thought I was pressing yes but somehow I accidentally selected "no" and I dont see any options screen or anything anywhere to turn on stat tracking...

JoeFu

Banned
The ending song and sequence is so beautiful. Last level was kinda annoying but you can kinda cheese it so whatever. Love this game! Now going back to 100% the game which is something I'm not usually bothered to do. I really love this game!

braves01

Banned
What's the best way to go back and look for memos if I've already beat the game? I would just go back to the day before I beat the game, but I dont't want to lose/overwrite the final report for my first play through.

Pitmonkey

How much longer after
you collect the cell phone does Louie steal the juice, I don't want to waste my time collecting fruit otherwise

Kinsei

Banned
Got platinum on the first mission in each category. Took me almost 2 hours to get it on the first battle enemies mission. I can see it taking a long time to plat every mission.

I have all the fruit in two areas. Will do Twilight River tomorrow, then I'll complete Garden of Hope. I think this second run will surpass my first in length. Also found the roll mechanic. Wish it had been placed more conspicuously! Gr...

Spent a day and a half stuck before realizing in the snowy area that Alph had the ship and thus the Pikmin >_>

Knh0L.gif

Low point of my gaming career :D

Top Bottom